Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
No... sorry but you are wrong.
You are confusing Science and your belief system.
Genetically similar can be explained by common ancestry beliefs.... or even better by our common Designer. ..the Creator God of the Bible.

Just saying magic is not a substitute for knowledge or rationality.

jeffblue101

Like I said, your tribalism is clouding your thinking.

As we see above, all you're doing is projecting your own faults onto others. Due to your tribal view and zeal to attack atheists, you cited non-related quotes from non-atheists and tried to lump them all together as being indicative of arguments from atheists.

In the future, I suggest taking more time and being more careful.

If what you written is true and I'm just engaging in tribalism. What distinction do make with the "4 corners" argument and your own circular disc argument? In other words how do you interpret "4 corners" in your own view that the Jews believed in a circular disc shaped earth?

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
Very good...we agree.

Correct so whether the big bang happened as thought by the current standard model or one of the alternative models of physics and cosmology does not prove the earth or universe might be 6,000 years old as that is firmly established to be impossible by physics.

That is what this is all about. Not whether the Hawking or Penrose model of cosmology is most correct.

Let's not cloud the issue.

The universe is billions of years old. C is a constant, and those are facts.

What banged how it banged, why it banged, and was there anything before the bang might not be fully understood, but that it wasn't 6,000 years ago is.

Magic isn't real.

Jose Fly

What distinction do make with the "4 corners" argument and your own circular disc argument?

IMO, "four corners" may be an idiom referring to the four directions (north, south, east, west) or something similar. With the "circle of the earth" however, the Hebrews had a word for ball that the author could have used, but used the word for "circle" instead.

alwight

thank you for reaffirming what I originally posted, that "unbelievers" could care less about the consistency of their own arguments. no matter how I answer your questions the goal posts will be shifted to mean something else.
Then I must conclude that you can't answer my questions since you didn't even want to try and demonstrate one moved goal post.
Preconceptions and bald assertions are apparently all you have, even here. :e4e:

jeffblue101

IMO, "four corners" may be an idiom referring to the four directions (north, south, east, west) or something similar. With the "circle of the earth" however, the Hebrews had a word for ball that the author could have used, but used the word for "circle" instead.

Then why do you have a problem with Christians making the same argument of 'figures of speech' being used in Scripture?

per, Holding article the modern Hebrew word for ball was not in usage during that time frame.
A related desperate appeal is that a related modern Hebrew word does mean a "ball". However, this proves little if anything, for modern usage has very little bearing on usage more than two thousand years earlier. Modern languages evolve constantly, and one would first have to prove that the modern word evolved with the ancient understanding in mind. Note as well that since it is related, not the same word, this is as much as admitting that duwr itself does not mean (simply or exclusively) "sphere", for otherwise, there would have been no need to "evolve" a modern word. What it boils down to: While a sphere is a duwr, it is not the only thing that is a duwr, so it would not be sufficient for the absurd precision-demands of modern Skeptics, who would simply assume that the text is saying that the earth is in the shape of a circle, as in Is. 29:3.

6days

OliviaM said:
What banged how it banged, why it banged, and was there anything before the bang might not be fully understood, but that it wasn't 6,000 years ago is.
There was no bang.

In the beginning God created.

That first sentence of the Bible is the most logical... and the most scientific explanation of the evidence.

We know that anything which has begun to exist has a cause. The only logical explanation for the evidence is that something uncaused and that has existed throughout eternity... caused everything. The Creator God of the Bible is the cause.*

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
There was no bang.

In the beginning God created.

That first sentence of the Bible is the most logical... and the most scientific explanation of the evidence.

We know that anything which has begun to exist has a cause. The only logical explanation for the evidence is that something uncaused and that has existed throughout eternity... caused everything. The Creator God of the Bible is the cause.*

God could have used a bang. Don't see why not. God made the bang 14 billion years ago. Seems logical to me. Bang is really just a descriptor to convey the idea the universe started small and then expanded. Like an explosion.

As for uncaused causes. I don't contend there is an uncaused cause.

Now what caused God?

6days

As for uncaused causes. I don't contend there is an uncaused cause.

Now what caused God?
Uncaused.
Logic and science suggest that something UNCAUSED... and that has existed throughout eternity is the cause of everything, the Creator God of the Bible

Tyrathca

Uncaused.
Logic and science suggest that something UNCAUSED... and that has existed throughout eternity is the cause of everything, the Creator God of the Bible

Even if one assumes there is something uncaused / outside space-time / eternal. There is no reason to assume that it also happens to be a conscious intervening entity with a particular interest in till making apes on a single planet. Or that it is also a petty, vindictive and obsessed work the sexual behaviours of said tool making apes.

Alate_One

Of course you think that because you think humans evolved and and early humans we're stupid. But, the evidence says otherwise. The oldest book in the Bible describes earth as a sphere hanging in empty space.

Show me a passage that says that.

There are passages that mention a circle. But a circle is not a sphere.

6days

Show me a passage that says that.

There are passages that mention a circle. But a circle is not a sphere.
I think it was Right Divider who posted a good comment about this today, possibly in another thread.
But for now I will to quote the Catholic Bible

Douay-Rheims Bible
It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

6days

Tyrathca said:
Even if one assumes there is something uncaused / outside space-time / eternal. There is no reason to assume that it also happens to be a conscious intervening entity with a particular interest in till making apes on a single planet. Or that it is also a petty, vindictive and obsessed work the sexual behaviours of said tool making apes.

Yes, you can assume that some type of energy existed uncaused throughout eternity,

I assume, based on the authority of scripture, and the evidence from science, that everything was caused by the uncaused, all knowing, all powerful Creator God of the Bible.*

Alate_One

I think it was Right Divider who posted a good comment about this today, possibly in another thread.
But for now I will to quote the Catholic Bible

Douay-Rheims Bible
It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

Have to find a creative translator for that, nearly every other one says circle.

Check this translation:

He's the one who sits above the disk of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He's the one who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in,

But how are heavens stretched out like a tent?