Biblical Pool of Siloam Is Uncovered

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Biblical Pool of Siloam Is Uncovered in Jerusalem
Tue Aug 09 2005 00:09:33 ET

Workers repairing a sewage pipe in the old city of Jerusalem have discovered the biblical Pool of Siloam, a freshwater reservoir that was a major gathering place for ancient Jews making religious pilgrimages to the city and the reputed site where Jesus cured a man blind from birth, the LOS ANGELES TIMES reports.

The pool was fed by the now famous Hezekiah's Tunnel and is ``a much grander affair'' than archeologists previously believed, with three tiers of stone stairs allowing easy access to the water, according to Hershel Shanks, editor of Biblical Archeology Review, which reported the find Monday.

``Scholars have said that there wasn't a Pool of Siloam and that John was using a religious conceit'' to illustrate a point, said New Testament scholar James H. Charlesworth of the Princeton Theological Seminary. ``Now we have found the Pool of Siloam ... exactly where John said it was.''

A gospel that was thought to be ``pure theology is now shown to be grounded in history,'' he said.

The discovery puts a new spotlight on what is called the pilgrimage to Jerusalem, a trip that religious law required ancient Jews to make at least once a year, said archeologist Ronny Reich of the University of Haifa, who excavated the pool.

``Jesus was just another pilgrim coming to Jerusalem,'' he said. ``It would be natural to find him there.''

The newly discovered pool is less than 200 yards from another Pool of Siloam, this one a reconstruction built between A.D. 400 and 460 by the empress Eudocia of Byzantium, who oversaw the rebuilding of several Biblical sites.

Developing...
cite

allsmiles

cool stuff, but all it proves is that whoever wrote John was familiar with local surroundings and incorporated them into the story

i luv you nin;)

Free-Agent Smith

``Scholars have said that there wasn't a Pool of Siloam and that John was using a religious conceit'' to illustrate a point, said New Testament scholar James H. Charlesworth of the Princeton Theological Seminary. ``Now we have found the Pool of Siloam ... exactly where John said it was.''

A gospel that was thought to be ``pure theology is now shown to be grounded in history,'' he said.

Cool!

Letsargue

allsmiles said:
cool stuff, but all it proves is that whoever wrote John was familiar with local surroundings and incorporated them into the story

i luv you nin;)

---Incredible! --“I don’t believe it, but I know all about it”. – I like that, -- It doesn’t matter if God himself came down and pointed things out, the same people would say NO!!!!
---The stream that fad the real pool of Siloam, Is the stream that ran through the Garden of Eden. --(So the Garden of Eden is where Jerusalem sets). -- And from thence it was parted, and came into four heads, (We now know those as), Matthew, Mark, Luke. John). That is from what we read in Revelation 22: “And he showed me a pure river of water of life, ~~~~ was there the tree of life which bare twelve~:
---The name of that river was the Kidron, at one time.
---Ezekiel 47:7,8,9—7- “Now when I returned, behold, at the bank of the river were very many trees on the one side and on the other. 8- “These waters issue out toward the east country, and go into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed”. (Christ was baptized there). 9- “And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish”, (Simon Peter’s catch). Notice it says here, “the RIVERS shall come”, that is referring to all four. That one river is the Gospel, and the four heads are the four account of the Gospel, ---- AIN’T GOD SHARP?
-----------Paul---

allsmiles

Letsargue said:
---Incredible! --“I don’t believe it, but I know all about it”. – I like that, -- It doesn’t matter if God himself came down and pointed things out, the same people would say NO!!!!
---The stream that fad the real pool of Siloam, Is the stream that ran through the Garden of Eden. --(So the Garden of Eden is where Jerusalem sets). -- And from thence it was parted, and came into four heads, (We now know those as), Matthew, Mark, Luke. John). That is from what we read in Revelation 22: “And he showed me a pure river of water of life, ~~~~ was there the tree of life which bare twelve~:
---The name of that river was the Kidron, at one time.
---Ezekiel 47:7,8,9—7- “Now when I returned, behold, at the bank of the river were very many trees on the one side and on the other. 8- “These waters issue out toward the east country, and go into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed”. (Christ was baptized there). 9- “And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish”, (Simon Peter’s catch). Notice it says here, “the RIVERS shall come”, that is referring to all four. That one river is the Gospel, and the four heads are the four account of the Gospel, ---- AIN’T GOD SHARP?
-----------Paul---

i've been talking about this in the Noahs Flood on Mars thread for a couple of days now.

historical accuracy in the bible is to be expected.

how does it validate christian theology? how does it prove the existence of jesus? how does it prove the divinity of christ? how does the pool support anything other than the author's local area knowledge?

frankly, i think you're a nut, but that's all right.

according to Iranaeus (if memory serves) the reason there are four gospels is because there are four corners of the earth and four winds. the reason there are four gospels is based in paganism :wazzup:

Letsargue

allsmiles said:
i've been talking about this in the Noahs Flood on Mars thread for a couple of days now.

historical accuracy in the bible is to be expected.

how does it validate christian theology? how does it prove the existence of jesus? how does it prove the divinity of christ? how does the pool support anything other than the author's local area knowledge?

frankly, i think you're a nut, but that's all right.

according to Iranaeus (if memory serves) the reason there are four gospels is because there are four corners of the earth and four winds. the reason there are four gospels is based in paganism :wazzup:

This in not a science class, I can't prove anything, neither CAN YOU.

allsmiles

Letsargue said:
This in not a science class, I can't prove anything, neither CAN YOU.

right on, i agree with you.

even as a skeptic this comes as no surprise to me, of course the bible is going to be historically accurate to an extent, my question is: what's the big deal with the discovery? Jefferson could barely give me an answer on this, it doesn't support the theology, it doesn't support the existence of jesus or his alleged divinity, it doesn't support anything necessary for the validity of your beliefs and it comes as no surprise to skeptics.

what's the big deal? you've won nothing through the discovery.

monochrome

allsmiles said:

even as a skeptic this comes as no surprise to me, of course the bible is going to be historically accurate to an extent, my question is: what's the big deal with the discovery? Jefferson could barely give me an answer on this, it doesn't support the theology, it doesn't support the existence of jesus or his alleged divinity, it doesn't support anything necessary for the validity of your beliefs and it comes as no surprise to skeptics.

I don't think it's so much a smoking gun as it is an interesting find. I would also find it interesting if someone found a door into the sphinx, or the back-up to the library of alexandria. It's be historically nifty s'all.

- m -

allsmiles

monochrome said:
I don't think it's so much a smoking gun as it is an interesting find. I would also find it interesting if someone found a door into the sphinx, or the back-up to the library of alexandria. It's be historically nifty s'all.

- m -

i can definitely appreciate the historical "niftiness" of the bible.

Letsargue

allsmiles said:

---To the farmer a new calf is the big deal, if your city guy, who cares. Your's is not a real response to the thought at hand, like all the others who can find nothing but FOOLISHNESS in their reply.
------------Paul---

Aizvarya

Your's is not a real response to the thought at hand, like all the others who can find nothing but FOOLISHNESS in their reply.

That seemed overly antagonistic, and also didn't make much sense.

Please phrase your answer in the form of a question.

theo_victis

what's the big deal?

Scholars have regularly been critical of John's gospel for "historical" issues and it appears that this was one of them. So its kinda a blow to some skeptics faces. It certainly doesnt prove the validity of the Bible but it does allow for a more literal understanding of the historical places cited within the Gospels, especially those coming from the context of John.

I think its a great find!

Aizvarya

I just now noticed that this isn't the same thread as the one in General Theology?

Perhaps we could get a mod to merge the threads, there is good conversation going in each.

Emo

To find the Pool of Siloam is a great discovery! It's funny how even biblical scholars discounted the existence of this real place. Maybe all of you skeptics could continue in disbelief, while substantive evidence is turned over right in front of your face. So, what else is John lying about? :)

Romans 8:24-25

For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

Last edited:

Letsargue

Aizvarya said:
That seemed overly antagonistic, and also didn't make much sense.

Please phrase your answer in the form of a question.

---Along with the rest of them. tend to your own questions and answers. I try to, but these foolish mouths, just won't stop popping off like they don't have good sense.
---------------Paul----

fool

Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
Scholars have regularly been critical of John's gospel for "historical" issues and it appears that this was one of them.

!
I've seen all sorts of attacks on the hisoricity of the gospels. I've never seen one regarding the location or existence of the pool. The discovery of a public fountain dosen't lend any credibility to events alleged to have happened there.

Letsargue

fool said:
I've seen all sorts of attacks on the hisoricity of the gospels. I've never seen one regarding the location or existence of the pool. The discovery of a public fountain dosen't lend any credibility to events alleged to have happened there.

---WOW!!! what a brilliant deduction, It dosen't show what happened there, Way to go, atheist.