Berkley or Dallas?

ClimateSanity

Gee, didn't see that one coming! Blame immigrants for a non-existent problem, you say? Refer to them as the "enemy within"? Have you even been to Berkeley?
I never said immigrants were an enemy within. I was referring to folks with yours and Anna's mindset. Those people in power that you admire have taken a chain saw to the structures that once made up a great culture.

ClimateSanity

Gee, didn't see that one coming! Blame immigrants for a non-existent problem, you say? Refer to them as the "enemy within"? Have you even been to Berkeley?
I haven't blamed immigrants for anything. I said they did not assimilate. That's ends up changing the existing culture. That's not a problem if you think the existing culture needs an Obama style fundamental transformation . I don't blame immigrants for just living life as they are accustomed to. I blame folks like you who let the flood gates open without giving one little bit of a dam about preservving an existing culture.

Arthur Brain

I haven't blamed immigrants for anything. I said they did not assimilate. That's ends up changing the existing culture. That's not a problem if you think the existing culture needs an Obama style fundamental transformation . I don't blame immigrants for just living life as they are accustomed to. I blame folks like you who let the flood gates open without giving one little bit of a dam about preservving an existing culture.

You haven't even defined what "American culture" even consists of. It's just the same ole on a different day.

rexlunae

I never said immigrants were an enemy within. I was referring to folks with yours and Anna's mindset. Those people in power that you admire have taken a chain saw to the structures that once made up a great culture.

Oh, gee, that makes it better. I'm no less American than you are. What makes you think I should protect your vision of America? What you seem to want is completely foreign to me.

rexlunae

Immigration has been a constant of American Life for longer than we've been a country. Each generation of immigrants has added to the depth and richness of this land. It's the people who want to slam the door shut, who demand assimilation, who think that their comfort matters over all that are trying to change something.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You haven't even defined what "American culture" even consists of. It's just the same ole on a different day.

Diversity ... and IF I had to decide between one of the two cities to live in based on American culture and values, I would choose ... Berkeley. It's simple really ... cities in blue states are more open to diversity and liberty.

Arthur Brain

Diversity ... and IF I had to decide between one of the two cities to live in based on American culture and values, I would choose ... Berkeley. It's simple really ... cities in blue states are more open to diversity and liberty.

Same here. I lived in one of the most multicultural areas of Britain and the diversity was vibrant. There was no "one culture" that defined the city as if there was such a phenomenon of "British culture" only.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Immigration has been a constant of American Life for longer than we've been a country. Each generation of immigrants has added to the depth and richness of this land. It's the people who want to slam the door shut, who demand assimilation, who think that their comfort matters over all that are trying to change something.

Who have the same attitude as those who forced Native American children to eat the white man's food and wear the white man's clothes... while they killed their parents and stole or cheated them out of their land. The more things change the more they stay the same.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
For one thing, he seems to want immigrants to assimilate into his standard of what American is.

most immigrants know this intuitively - they know that to be successful they have to adopt the majority culture

And he wants to cast some cities as more American than others.

in terms of the majority american culture, yes