BEL show files nearly triple in size, frustrating to download

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
At nearly 28 megabites per download for the last two shows, BEL shows are now too large for me to download, and as compared to the recent 10 meg files, which have no noticeable downside in quality to them, except that not all of his shows have it available, the new larger file size would take nearly three times longer to download than before.

Now if you have a modest ISP dialup connection (which must be the majority of people), or if you are like me and your only internet connection is via a cell phone (which must be like only me), then you know that large file downloads can be practically impossible and is always frustrating, even if only because you cant get any calls for a really long time. Some ISP’s monitor your surfing activity and may drop your connection if you remain inactive and on one web site for too long. In my case, the cell phone connection is subject to frequent dull spots where the Internet is so slow that it is practically not accessible even though you are still supposedly connected.

I hope that BEL reverts back to the smaller file size, and since web hosting costs so much, I think it would only be wise to go with the smallest file sizes available. I listen to BEL with pretty good quality head phones and I notice no quality deterioration from the 20 meg files to the 10 meg files.

Any scoop as to if or when BEL will go back to the smaller file sizes?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Wow! Cellphone? I can't even imagine the charges for large downloads. Why not subscribe to Best of Bob?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My guess is that it has something to do with Enyart being out of town. Maybe someone different set up the MP3s for those shows.

They added the 10 MB/24 Kbps option relatively recently to make it easier for people to download, so I doubt they deliberately switched to 27 MB/64 Kbps files.

1Way

Nineveh –
Wow! Cellphone? I can't even imagine the charges for large downloads. Why not subscribe to Best of Bob?
Nope, I have one flat fee and it uses none of my airtime minuets. It’s pricey compared to standard dial up, but, I save the cost of having a landline phone which makes it more reasonable, and I constantly travel every week (truck driver) so being able to carry my phone and internet connection with me is only reasonable and a great time saver. And the cell phone sometimes out performs a standard dial up connection, I have the upgraded second generation so called high speed (celluar) Internet service, some call it 3G, and is available through my provider in the majority of places where I travel.

I even got voice recognition software so that after I downoad some pages online, I can dictate my responses to posts while I'm driving, which totally rocks, but you really have to watch the results because it doesn't always understand what you meant to say. But it is pretty amazing stuff!

I love supporting BEL, but his materials are pretty expensive. So I have to save up money for about a year or so to take advantage of discount pricing. :sigh: Such is life and having a large debt ratio.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by 1Way
Nineveh – Nope, I have one flat fee and it uses none of my airtime minuets. It’s pricey compared to standard dial up, but, I save the cost of having a landline phone which makes it more reasonable, and I constantly travel every week (truck driver) so being able to carry my phone and internet connection with me is only reasonable and a great time saver. And the cell phone sometimes out performs a standard dial up connection, I have the upgraded second generation so called high speed (celluar) Internet service, some call it 3G, and is available through my provider in the majority of places where I travel.

I even got voice recognition software so that after I downoad some pages online, I can dictate my responses to posts while I'm driving, which totally rocks, but you really have to watch the results because it doesn't always understand what you meant to say. But it is pretty amazing stuff!

I love supporting BEL, but his materials are pretty expensive. So I have to save up money for about a year or so to take advantage of discount pricing. :sigh: Such is life and having a large debt ratio.

Wow! All those tech goodies! :D Turbo prolly has it right, when Mr. Enyart gets back, the MP3s will most likely return to normal :)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I even got voice recognition software so that ... I can dictate my responses to posts while I'm driving...
That's awesome! :noway:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Turbo
My guess is that it has something to do with Enyart being out of town. Maybe someone different set up the MP3s for those shows.

They added the 10 MB/24 Kbps option relatively recently to make it easier for people to download, so I doubt they deliberately switched to 27 MB/64 Kbps files.
I am guessing Turbo is right on the money. 1Way didn't I tell you this very thing on the phone about 2 days before you posted this?

1Way

Knight - Yes you did, but don't let it bother you that Turbo replicated your answer, he probably meant no redundancy. ;)

As a person might imagine, I supposed the same thing you are saying, but I did not know that, and I don't like to assume when more certain knowledge could be understood. Plus bringing up this topic opens the door for comments and suggestions about how people feel about the smaller file sizes in terms of whether or not they appreciate it or not. I for one do.

(Debating, should I should, or should I not, ask. Since he is asking the obvious, I guess I may too.)

(Didn't you think that I did not know if:
anyone else on TOL would know anything more or less about that situation,
or that they would repeat what you said.
And wouldn't you assume that I was looking for other responses to the same issue?)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
(Didn't you think that I did not know if:
anyone else on TOL would know anything more or less about that situation,
or that they would repeat what you said.
And wouldn't you assume that I was looking for other responses to the same issue?)
I know.... I was just giving you a hard time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.