Becoming a Judge while believing the gospel.

drbrumley

Jacob, what does the 1 corinthians passage mean to you?

This one:

“Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unrighteous, and not before the saints? …If then you have judgments concerning things pertaining to this life, do you appoint those who are least esteemed by the church to judge? I say this to your shame…. Why do you not rather [let yourselves] be cheated?” 1 Cor 6

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob, what does the 1 corinthians passage mean to you?

This one:

“Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unrighteous, and not before the saints? …If then you have judgments concerning things pertaining to this life, do you appoint those who are least esteemed by the church to judge? I say this to your shame…. Why do you not rather [let yourselves] be cheated?” 1 Cor 6
Not to let matters between myself and my fellow believer get to the point where unbelievers are the judges. To have a judge from within the church, who is held in high esteem. Otherwise, to rather let myself be wronged. Cheated implies what exactly (do we know?)?

Kit the Coyote

Thank you. I do not know a case. I do wonder if someone giving me a scitzophrenia diagnosis would keep me from being a judge and making a decision based on God's Law, which diagnosis I do not agree with.

Well, it would seem an objection based on mental health would be an argument on the person's ability to make sound judgments overall regardless of the person's religious views.

What about the Ten Commandments?

What of them? They are foundational documents of Mosaic Law and Judeo/Christian faith.

Do we accept that believers understand God's Law while others may not?

"God's Law" can cover quite a bit of ground and varies depending on who you ask. Jews would say it is Mosaic Law, Christians Mosaic Law and the changes/additions in the New Testament, Muslims would say those two and the writings of Muhammad, etc. Opinions inside those groups will also vary greatly.
My general uninformed opinion is that most believers do not really study and understand what they call God's Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well, it would seem an objection based on mental health would be an argument on the person's ability to make sound judgments overall regardless of the person's religious views.

What of them? They are foundational documents of Mosaic Law and Judeo/Christian faith.

"God's Law" can cover quite a bit of ground and varies depending on who you ask. Jews would say it is Mosaic Law, Christians Mosaic Law and the changes/additions in the New Testament, Muslims would say those two and the writings of Muhammad, etc. Opinions inside those groups will also vary greatly.
My general uninformed opinion is that most believers do not really study and understand what they call God's Law.

I have studied God's Law. I want to know to what extent it is enforced in the United States of America. As for my diagnosis I believe I was incorrectly diagnosed, and that I can make judgments of the kind that are required should I be called upon and educated in them to make them. Otherwise, the question of what a judge is Biblically, according to Torah or the Tanakh, from the book of Judges, etc... is an important one. Do we live this way now? Etc....

Zeke

Becoming a Judge while believing the gospel. One thing that I have desired to do is to become a judge. You may have a similar aspiration or advice in regard to this. The world needs just judgment, I believe.

This must have something to do with government if judges and courts do. It has to do with religion because it is found in the Bible.

Some people believe that the Law has been abolished.

People wrestle with their sin and being condemned or judged for it, for what is justice if a person is not judged for their sin, with right judgment? Could this even be for me a person who desires to be a judge?

There are judges in the Bible. A book of the Bible is called Judges. In the Torah and Israel judges render the decision of God, which should not be deviated from.

Can you believe in the grace of God? What about the New Covenant? If a person is not under the Law can they be a Judge in regard to the Law?

Judges render decisions based on the law. They do not create law.

God’s Law and the laws of the nations.

There is Noahide Law, which includes the establishment of courts. And there is the Law of Moses specifically for the Nation of Israel. Both come from God.

Do you have any thoughts on any of the above?

Better learn how things really work in Caesars kingdom before you play God for that system! The only government we are told to judge is our own based on our Conscience, be it bound or liberated from mans law which is a pyramid scheme.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Better learn how things really work in Caesars kingdom before you play God for that system! The only government we are told to judge is our own based on our Conscience, be it bound or liberated from mans law which is a pyramid scheme.

Are you asking about judging the government, or defending yourself by saying that is something that you do not do? For me to make a post about becoming a judge might infer that I believe something is wrong with things the way that they are. Or it means that I believe that I could fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a judge.

Kit the Coyote

I have studied God's Law. I want to know to what extent it is enforced in the United States of America.

Directly, it is not enforced at all since it is not part of the Constitution and other foundational documents of our government. However, elements of it have been and may be introduced into our system through the legislative process. Though shall not murder is a good example.

As for my diagnosis I believe I was incorrectly diagnosed, and that I can make judgments of the kind that are required should I be called upon and educated in them to make them.

Addressing such questions is why we have a nomination and confirmation process.

Otherwise, the question of what a judge is Biblically, according to Torah or the Tanakh, from the book of Judges, etc... is an important one. Do we live this way now? Etc....

The answer again is effectively not directly but indirectly it is possible. The Torah, Tanakh, Judges, etc. have no standing in US Law but Article III of the Constitution does not establish hard criteria for judicial qualifications, leaving it up to the Congress and the Courts to establish them. I'm not sure what the current standards are but having passed the bar and practiced law is usually considered a good idea.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Directly, it is not enforced at all since it is not part of the Constitution and other foundational documents of our government. However, elements of it have been and may be introduced into our system through the legislative process. Though shall not murder is a good example.

Addressing such questions is why we have a nomination and confirmation process.

The answer again is effectively not directly but indirectly it is possible. The Torah, Tanakh, Judges, etc. have no standing in US Law but Article III of the Constitution does not establish hard criteria for judicial qualifications, leaving it up to the Congress and the Courts to establish them. I'm not sure what the current standards are but having passed the bar and practiced law is usually considered a good idea.

I have studied the 613 Commandments of the Torah. Torah law.

The foundation of this country is Judeo-Christian. Jewish and Christian. The principles of Judaism and Christianity are present. Were the Ten Commandments for example in churches or in courtrooms or both?

I have not passed the bar (what is it?) or practiced law. I do teach the Law.

Danoh

How about the following about the smallest law courts? It appears that Christians are to have their own courts.

1 Corinthians 6:1-8 NASB - 1 Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? 2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent [to] [constitute] the smallest law courts? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life? 4 So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church? 5 I say [this] to your shame. [Is it] so, [that] there is not among you one wise man who will be able to decide between his brethren, 6 but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers? 7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. [You do] this even to [your] brethren.

Just now recalling, while reading this interesting and very valid question of yours, how that, some years back when a group of Believers not only unjustly accused one from within their own ranks, of theft, but sued the individual in a court of Law, where they were proven as having been the ones up to no good.

Afterwards, the Judge (who it turned out was also a Believer) said to them something along the line of "not only were you found out, but you had no business bringing this matter before a secular court of Law - as Pastors, you of all people, each ought to know this, better than anyone..."

Such are still sore about that to this very day, all these years later.

Rare Judge, indeed...

A Theocracy over the U.S.?

Nope...

As those Pastors had long been proving all along - there are enough frauds in the pulpit.

God forbid the same be unleashed into a position of power, as...a "Theocracy."

Case in point...

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

There are more than enough frauds in secular government, as it is.

Danoh

This guy has got to be a troll.

Rubbish.

For the guy has long been a poster on TOL whose posts have often resulted in the exploration of many subjects worth looking into, and further reflecting on.

His question is...a great one.

Danoh

fun_here-come-da-judge_blk-mal.jpg

Thank you john w. That is a neat picture of a judge.

Kinda looks like a much older, fully sun-tanned, JohnW.

:chuckle:

Kit the Coyote

I have studied the 613 Commandments of the Torah. Torah law.

The foundation of this country is Judeo-Christian. Jewish and Christian. The principles of Judaism and Christianity are present. Were the Ten Commandments for example in churches or in courtrooms or both?

I have not passed the bar (what is it?) or practiced law. I do teach the Law.

The majority of the population in the country was Christian and Judeo-Christian philosophy was a major part, one could even argue the term foundational, of the society. However, the writers of the Constitution gave us a very intentional secular document and government. There are numerous reasons for this, the enlightenment view that predominated at the time, that church and state should be separate, was part of it. A major consideration though was the issue that each of the states having a state religion most with very different views that clashed with each other. If the Federal government showed favor to one or the other it would have torn the new union apart so they wisely just removed the issue of religion all together with the First Amendment establishment clause.

Each state has a legal panel that tests and provides approval for a lawyer to practice law. This is usually called the bar. To the best of my knowledge, no state allows you to be a practicing lawyer without that certification. While it is not technically a requirement in many cases to have been a practicing lawyer to be a judge, it is really one of those don't bother to submit your resume without it sort of things.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Just now recalling, while reading this interesting and very valid question of yours, how that, some years back when a group of Believers not only unjustly accused one from within their own ranks, of theft, but sued the individual in a court of Law, where they were proven as having been the ones up to no good.

Afterwards, the Judge (who it turned out was also a Believer) said to them something along the line of "not only were you found out, but you had no business bringing this matter before a secular court of Law - as Pastors, you of all people, each ought to know this, better than anyone..."

Such are still sore about that to this very day, all these years later.

Rare Judge, indeed...

A Theocracy over the U.S.?

Nope...

As those Pastors had long been proving all along - there are enough frauds in the pulpit.

God forbid the same be unleashed into a position of power, as...a "Theocracy."

Case in point...

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

There are more than enough frauds in secular government, as it is.

Do you recognize any good judge or court? That might be good for you to do.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The majority of the population in the country was Christian and Judeo-Christian philosophy was a major part, one could even argue the term foundational, of the society. However, the writers of the Constitution gave us a very intentional secular document and government. There are numerous reasons for this, the enlightenment view that predominated at the time, that church and state should be separate, was part of it. A major consideration though was the issue that each of the states having a state religion most with very different views that clashed with each other. If the Federal government showed favor to one or the other it would have torn the new union apart so they wisely just removed the issue of religion all together with the First Amendment establishment clause.

Each state has a legal panel that tests and provides approval for a lawyer to practice law. This is usually called the bar. To the best of my knowledge, no state allows you to be a practicing lawyer without that certification. While it is not technically a requirement in many cases to have been a practicing lawyer to be a judge, it is really one of those don't bother to submit your resume without it sort of things.
Do people vote for a judge or is one appointed?

It makes sense that we would be able to study law.