• Freak

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • me again

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eireann

So what about it? Have I earned battle rights? The things I want to battle on are listed in my post on the Wish List thread.

Jaltus

Read the Question

Read the Question

Freak is not actually winning. The poll specifically asks who you think will present the best argument.

In other words, before the debate started, we voted.

There should be a post-debate vote to see who people think won.

Jaltus

By the way, Freak's point about John 8:28 is good, me again's response was great (using the translations).

I think Freak needs to answer WHY the translations added that in there (the Greek is quite clear that Jesus only said "I am," and all the translations added to it).

P

Pilgrimagain

hmmmm, Me Again, using your own logic against you, I would have to say that I can no longer listen to what you say about the Bible. You are merely a human voice and so have no bearing on the Biblical message. You have basically talked yourself out of the debate.

This is the great irony of the "Bible only" mindset. They admonish us to use nothing other than the Bible and then expect us to listen to their explinations of the Bible. That is a tricky little thing there. Trying to drown out all other arguments but your own in such a way is a little disingenuous.

Pilgrim

me again

Rightly Dividing the Word

Rightly Dividing the Word

• Posted by Pilgrimagain
    I would have to say that I can no longer listen to what you say about the Bible. You are merely a human voice and so have no bearing on the Biblical message. You have basically talked yourself out of the debate
Okay.

• Posted by Pilgrimagain
    This is the great irony of the "Bible only" mindset. They admonish us to use nothing other than the Bible and then expect us to listen to their explinations of the Bible. That is a tricky little thing there. Trying to drown out all other arguments but your own in such a way is a little disingenuous.
Pilgrimagain,

No, not just to my explanation, but to anyone's explanation. Using the scriptures alone, who has the best interpretation?

Jaltus

Freak's last post was ALMOST a great blow, he just needed to take it one step farther. I'll wait until me again posts before pointing out the flaw.

P

Pilgrimagain

but what makes your interpretation any better than the guy who wrote a commentary on those same words of scritpture?

me again

Investigations

Investigations

• Posted by Pilgrimagain
    What makes your interpretation any better than the guy who wrote a commentary on those same words of scritpture?
It sounds like you're asking how we can "rightly divide the Word?" There are several different ways, to include, but not limited to:
  • Look at the proof text in the proper context.
  • Look at the preceding verses to see what led up to its usage.
  • Look at the post verses to get the "whole view."
  • Look at the original language to see if there are variances of the word (or phrase) that is being examined. For example, there are several different Hebrew words for "God," each with it's own connotation.
  • Compare the proof text with other similar scriptures in other books of the bible to gain insight into the various meanings that it may (or may not) have.
These are just a few examples.

P

Pilgrimagain

ahhh "Proof text" already you ar starting with an idea and then looking to scripture to prove it. That is eisogesis in its natal form!

By the way, my wife is now on the boards as "kimberblu" say hello to her and be nice. I'm not prone to violence except in defense of her!

Pilgrim

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Kimberblue
here I am, but now I'm off to paint the upstairs room. Have fun boys! And do your own work!
Wow your first post.

And I am your first respondent!!!

Welcome to TOL!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Kimberblue
here I am, but now I'm off to paint the upstairs room. Have fun boys! And do your own work!
Does Pilgrim tell you about how mean we are to him here at TOL??? ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.