Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Flipper
And the manticore doesn't fit the description of the lion either. Nevertheless, that is what it is most likely to be. Were I you, I would no doubt hold that the manticore is more likely to be a multilated description of a dimetrodon.

Well, now it's pretty obvious that you'd rather throw insults than have a serious discussion.

And frankly, some rather unusual looking beasts in pottery does not constitute evidence of co-existence with dinosaurs. Not by a long shot. Frankly, if we had co-existed with such beasts, I would expect ancient literature and art to be full of such descriptions.

It is.

Instead of portrayals of long extinct mammals, I would imagine cave art to consist largely of drawing of sauropods and therapods.

Why, when it's easier to hunt things like buffalo? They're not liable to eat the entire hunting party.

I would have imagined that their passing would have been commemorated with more than a few pieces of pottery, some old legends, and a couple of rather vague descriptions in the bible?

There's a lot more than that, but you'll never know until you check it out.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that the platypus and koala migrated from Israel to Australia on foot (or flipper)? Really?

How do you think they got there? Everybody seems to want to pin the answer to this on me, but nobody else wants to offer their explanation.

No, I mean, seriously? Is that what you believe?

I don't know how they got there, but they had to get there somehow.

LightSon

Originally posted by Flipper
Also, are you seriously suggesting that the platypus and koala migrated from Israel to Australia on foot (or flipper)? Really?

Some creationists postulate that:
1. at one point (after the Noaic flood) there was but a single continent (land mass)
2. a tectonic phenomenon caused the land mass to split apart, thus isolating animalia to the newly formed continents and islands.
3. that there is sufficient potential genetic variation within kinds or species to allow for the subspecie manifestations within the isolated geographic areas.

This theory would support the animal abberations of Austrailia and the Galápagos Islands.

The only direct scriptural support I know of is:

Gen 10:25 "And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan."

This would solve the puzzle in question.

Incidentally, if you study the continental shapes, it isn't hard to imaging them having been "together" at some point.

Last edited:

Eireann

Originally posted by LightSon
Some creationists postulate that:
1. at one point (after the Noaic flood) there was but a single continent (land mass)
2. a tectonic phenomenon caused the land mass to split apart, thus isolating animalia to the newly formed continents and islands.
The Creationist account you have provided seems to stand at odds with the scientific account. Most accounts I've seen suggest that Pangea was there before the flood, and that the tectonic event which caused it to split may quite possibly have actually been the cause of the flood in the first place. Of course, that is only one of many cause-of-the-flood theories. Still, that makes a lot more logical sense than to assume that massive tectonic split occurred after the flood and yet didn't cause any huge worldwide catastrophic events.

Eireann

Incidentally, if you study the continental shapes, it isn't hard to imaging them having been "together" at some point.
I don't think anyone really questions that the continents were "together" at some point. The question is whether the split was predeluvean or antedeluvean.

PureX

Re: afterlife

Re: afterlife

LightSon,

Thanks for such a great response!
Originally posted by LightSon The fundamental questions which tend to drive theism are, (1) where did we come from(origin) (2) why are we here (purpose) (3) where are we going (destiny)

From my perspective, all life comes from God which includes physical life and spiritual life. In this framework, I have a purpose and my destiny is positive and substantial.

Starting from the assumption of "God is not", one might wonder if the "fundamental questions" still apply. I've heard atheists reject the presumption that there is any merit or need to pursue these questions. I must agree. What is the merit to understanding origin, purpose and destiny if we are but an accidental collision of time, space and energy? In other words, how could it be said within the atheist framework, that there is any non-arbitrary purpose for existence? Why should the atheist expect a destiny that is positive and substantial?

Nevertheless, atheists often are interested in pursuing these questions, (hence their TOL ubiquity). As a consequence to "God is not", such an interest, at first blush, would seem counterintuitive. "Why should they care"? We theists suspect atheistic interest is a "tip of the hand", but we get into trouble when we say so. So I won't. :)
Well, I would say that these questions are essential to any human being who is curious about the nature of his own existence. I honestly don't see why a belief in God, or lack of such, should in any way curtail our natural human curiosity. And beyond even natural curiosity, anyone who might be pondering the criteria by which he makes life decisions, or who might be somewhat afraid of the unknown condition we call death, would certainly be led to ask himself these and similar questions. And reasonably so. If these questions could be answered they would go a long way in indicating a criteria for our life's decisions now, and in helping prepare us for whatever is to come next.

I agree with you that some atheists would claim there to be no reason to ask themselves such questions, but I would also point out that there are a lot of religionists that use religion to AVOID having to ask themselves such questions as well. I don't think curiosity and courage, or the lack of them, are traits that belong exclusively to atheists or theists.
Originally posted by LightSon So assuming an atheist desires an intellectual pursuit of the origin of our existence, they tend to do so in a way that preserves their basic assumption, (i.e. God is not). As a consequence, they insist that only the observable be accepted into evidence. Only the testable is worthy of consideration; "if we can't see it, it is metaphysical fantasy and worthy of dismissal".

To that I say "fine". Our physical life is an observable phenomenon. Any supposed metaphysical component (God, afterlife, spirits, souls, angels & miracles etc.) are not observable, not testable and not consequences of a universe that is a product of natural selection.

In short, the atheist can't have it both ways. You can't insist "God is not" because He can't be proven, and then arbitrarily open the door to an afterlife - an equally unprovable theory.
I think you have created a bit of a "straw man" argument, here. To deny God does not equate to a denial of all mystery or the dismissal of anything as yet unknown. One could still contemplate and investigate to possibility of an existence beyond that which we now experience without having to accept a divine deity or even a divine prime cause or creator. The universe we see and experince is still full of many mysteries even to an atheist. I see no reason that even though he does not believe in a deity, that he couldn't still reasonably expect that there be lots to learn about how we come to be as we are, or to what state we might proceed after death.

There is no reason I can see why an atheist could not proceed to investigate these mysteries using logic, reason, and scientific methods, or why he could not unravel some of them without accepting the concept of divine magic (a creative and manipulative force outside "natural" existence).

I agree that it's somewhat contradictory to dismiss the idea of a deity while still admitting that there is so much that we humans do not know about the nature, function, and origins of existence, but then I am not an atheist. However, even though it might be somewhat of a premature judgment, it's no more so than a theist who has chosen TO believe in a deity with an equally scant understanding of the actual function, nature, and origin of existence.
Originally posted by LightSon In summary, The theist's assumption of God provides that all metaphysical constructs be derived in accordance to revealed truth.

Atheistic assumptions restrict reality to observable phenomenon, which necessarily precludes an afterlife.
I think you presume wrongly, based on a prejudice toward theism. You have invented a straw "atheist" and an illogical position to go with him, which you are using to dismiss his rightful and reasoned skepticism toward your own position. Frankly, I think both atheists and theists are jumping the gun, and are both holding on to beliefs that neither of them can possibly prove. They each can see their own flawed reasoning in the arguments of the other, but that they can't admit to in their own, and this is why they tend to bicker, so.

But that just my opinion of it. *smile*

LightSon

Originally posted by Eireann
The Creationist account you have provided seems to stand at odds with the scientific account. Most accounts I've seen suggest that Pangea was there before the flood, and that the tectonic event which caused it to split may quite possibly have actually been the cause of the flood in the first place.

Putting the apparent descrepancy (of whether the split before of after the flood) aside for the moment, Your observations seem to put the flood within the context of science. I appreciate that. Does contemporary scientific thought now agree with a worldwide flood? I haven't kept up on current thought.

Originally posted by Eireann
The question is whether the split was predeluvean or antedeluvean.

Pardon the quibble, but "antediluvian" means "before the Flood". Perhaps you meant antediluvian or postdiluvian.

temple2006

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by temple 2000
I think it is fairly obvious that the existenceof a deity cannot be proven by any rational arguments or empirical evidence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IIRC, this applies particularly your flavor of deity, T2K.

Did you forget a word , Zayk? Otherwise it dun mak no sens.

quote:
God cannot be described but He/She can be experienced.

Apparently, by what I've been reading here recently, only by believing faith, which in an atheist is in short supply.

My dear Zayk..Faith is in plentiful supply in your life. You BELIEVE there is no diety. I BELIEVE there is.

quote:
Zak, it must be terrible to be locked up in one's own mind.........

Where else would ..........

You don't have to get sarcastic about it. But when you cannot admit that there may br something that you haven't yet experienced, then you do have a closed mind. ;)

JanowJ

To those claiming Christians believe in a "Flat Earth..."

To those claiming Christians believe in a "Flat Earth..."

To those fo you evolutionist/atheist/agnostics who think that Christians believed in a "Flat Earth," consider the following:

1) Galileo had a political problem with the Pope at the time. Galileo even said that if Scripture and Science contradict, we must follow Scripture. This from http://wavian.com/aip/cosmology/ideas-galileo.htm: Galileo argued that if his scientific "doctrine were proved, then it could not contradict the Scriptures when they were rightly understood."

2) It is the Bible that taught that "He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth on nothing" Job 26:7
All of the Flat Earth pictures show the earth being held up by columns. If this came from the Bible, the Flat Earth would be on nothing. the truth is that this came from Aristotle and Greek Mythology, not the Bible.

3) The Bible also says in Isaiah 40:22 "It is He who sits above the circle of the earth." The Flat Earth pictures all show a square earth. Plus, the earth is round (a circle). This again comes from Greek philosophy, not the Bible.

Just like we use figures of speech today, a wise reader must learn to distinguish between a literal statement and a figurative one. A child has a hard time with this: (Just tell a four year old to "Hit the Road.") An adult should not have a hard time with this.

The problem for evolutionists is that they are following in the footsteps of Greek philosophy, not that of science.

Eireann

Putting the apparent descrepancy (of whether the split before of after the flood) aside for the moment, Your observations seem to put the flood within the context of science. I appreciate that. Does contemporary scientific thought now agree with a worldwide flood? I haven't kept up on current thought.
Some do, some don't.

Pardon the quibble, but "antediluvian" means "before the Flood". Perhaps you meant antediluvian or postdiluvian.
My bad. Sorry. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Stratnerd

I don't appreciate being called a liar.

then put a bit more effort into your responses... this is what I feel like:

ME: what does your house look like?
YOU: a home
ME: what makes it different
YOU: because it's not the same

Fore example:

"Too bad -- it still fits."

and

" What pattern? Clams and stuff like that on the bottom, and birds and people on top?"

and when I ask YOU about things you say

"I've seen explanations for all the stuff you've been asking me at creationist websites. You've just got to do a little digging."

You don't know that there was a loss of genetic variation. Without some DNA to study, you can't conclusively say they gained or lost any genetic variation.
but this was YOUR explanation.

No, it's not a conspiracy.
of course it is! there is a unified effort to throw out dates that don't fit to keep the current paradigm going... that or maybe some of the labs are right in finding samples can shouldn't be included... not because "they don't like it" but because a larger body of samples suggest that the outlier isn't a proper sample.

Stratnerd you accuse me of not being serious, and then you ask me somthing like this? I'm only speaking of one example here.
so you don't trust radiometric dates because you know of one paper that reported a single sample that was thrown out?

It's not a conspiracy -- they're not really trying to hide anything, but you don't expect them to go with measurements they think are wrong, do you?
AGAIN, either there is a concerted effort for all labs doing this work to keep throwing out data... or some of the dates are right and the Earth is really > 6000 or 60,000 or 600,000 or 6,000,000 years old and we can put our hats on and go home.

Stratnerd

The problem for evolutionists is that they are following in the footsteps of Greek philosophy, not that of science.

so in science we should find a book we like, declare it truth, and deny all evidence contrary to it. i like it!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by temple 2000
You don't have to get sarcastic about it. But when you cannot admit that there may br something that you haven't yet experienced, then you do have a closed mind. ;)
Merely responding to what I perceived of as sarcasm with more of the same. There is much I have not experienced, yet I still do not believe everything everyone claims to be true is so.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Stratnerd
Z -

But if all critters were left off the Ark just 6000 years ago, wouldn't be expect that there would be an outstanding number of critters in the area and that total species diversity would decrease with increasing distance from such a place?
I'm not a hard-core biologist, but I might expect to see a relatively small number of widely divergent fossilized species closer to Ararat with more differentiation showing further and futher away...

Is that the case?

August

PureX wrote:
<

quote:

Originally posted by August "But what worries me most about this debate is
that it appears to be asymmetric. Enyart tries to argue for the existence of God,
and Zakath criticizes the arguments. For the sake of fairness, it should be
equally incumbent on Zakath to present arguments for the nonexistence of God. "

But how can he possibly prove that something doesn't exist, except to say that there is no
evidence whatever that it does exist?>

In my previous posts on this thread, I have provided examples of nonexistence proofs.

Freak

I'm surprised this hasn't been considered...the reality of Natural Law.

Natural Law is comprised of those precepts of the eternal law that govern the behavior of beings possessing reason and free will. The first precept of the natural law, according to Aquinas, "...is the somewhat vacuous imperative to do good and avoid evil. Here it is worth noting that Aquinas holds a natural law theory of morality: what is good and evil, according to Aquinas, is derived from the rational nature of human beings."

Natural Law points to the reality that good and evil are both objective and universal. This points to the reality of conscience that points us to One who created the conscience, Rom. 2.

August

Flipper wrote:
<Oh, and I suppose that Bob Enyart understands the mechanics of a fiat creation then, does
he?>

No, but you see he doesn't have to, because miracles are consistent with his position. As of today, the only astronomical observations that we have support the "big bang" phenomenon, and many of these findings have occurred since Hawkings's 1983 paper. If we define a miracle as any event that is inconsistent with our current laws of physics, then the big bang was miracle. That does not necessarily mean that it was produced by God. But so far, it appears that the foundation of all natural science is a miracle.

< That's a ridiculous argument. There are different levels of understanding. A layperson's
presentation of an theory can be accurate. The layperson must trust that the science or
theoretical math behind it is reasonably sound and has been held up to the scrutiny and
criticism of peers.>

"Trust", or you might as well say, "faith". I am a scientist, and I don't trust scientists one bit. We are motivated by the desire for fame, rich contracts, and a need to defend our positions even when they are indefensible. Have you read Kuhn's classical study on this subject? He found that scientists more often than not close not only their minds but also their ears when presented with results that disagree with their paradigm.

<We can rely to a reasonable extent on descriptions of science by scientists written for the
moderately educated amateur. It is possible to convey a feel for what the hypothesis is
describing, and to get an idea of the current strength of evidence in favor or against it is.>

I fell sorry for you if you really believe that. How many times on these forums have we seen references to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and chaos theory? Yet, I personally haven't seen a post by anyone who actually understands these things. I suspect that 99 percent of the TOL members believe that the "butterfly effect" actually exists, but it doesn't, and I can explain why. It is an oversimplified model that neglects the effects of random molecular motions.

PureX

Originally posted by Freak
I'm surprised this hasn't been considered...the reality of Natural Law.

Natural Law is comprised of those precepts of the eternal law that govern the behavior of beings possessing reason and free will. The first precept of the natural law, according to Aquinas, "...is the somewhat vacuous imperative to do good and avoid evil. Here it is worth noting that Aquinas holds a natural law theory of morality: what is good and evil, according to Aquinas, is derived from the rational nature of human beings."

Natural Law points to the reality that good and evil are both objective and universal. This points to the reality of conscience that points us to One who created the conscience, Rom. 2.
But all that's being said here is that because we think it, it must be an eternal law. Good and evil are the product of man's "natural reason" (because we think it...) and since this ability to reason is natural, and Aquinas thinks nature is "eternal" (aparently) then this natural reasoning must be the result of some eternal "law". Therefor what we reason must also be the result of some eternal law.

But there's a whole bunch of assumptions going on here that are not varified, or varifiable. How free is man's will? How natural is man's reason? How eternal is nature, and the "laws" that govern it? Can we reason outside this natural law? And if not, then isn't ANYTHING we think also an equal product of this eternal natural law, including immorality, injustice, selfishness, etc.?

mindlight

Debates of this sort are fascinating and I sometimes regret not having more time to listen to them and even participate in them.

From what I have read of the two combatants views the following observations come to mind.

1) Can God be defined except in his own terms. If God were definable for the purposes of philosopical debate then would he be God. Do we debate God in this manner or a creation of our own minds. I believe in God , in a Being whose name is "I am who I am". In that sense the finitude and imperfection of my intellect is always reaching out for him but can never claim to have him totally sussed such that I can debate him as if he were an object.

2) Bob Enyart makes some powerful points I think and I agree that a belief in truth must be a prerequisite for a debate of this sort. If there is no truth then no one can say anything definitive regarding this or any other matter. I believe Zakath will resist this notion quite vehemently however as a belief in the Truth is ultimately a belief in God and the two are in effect inextricably linked. As only a Creator of all things and an infinite and perfect Being could fully grasp the truth about Himself and Creation and make it possible that finite and imperfect creatures could grasp it also. From our own resources and without revelation can anyone know the truth?. We can grasp truthes about Him and the universe because he guarantees that there is a Truth and underpins the order and stucture of what he has made - such that its laws are accessible to human observation and deduction. If God did not exist no truth statements about the big picture of the seen and unseen worlds would be possible as finite and imperfect beings would be pretending the capacity to make absolute statements well beyond their reach.

3) I can see little positive in Zakaths worldview. His identity is powerful because of what he was rather than what he is now. He can pull his punches because of his awareness of the Christian world not because of his present atheism. He is a NON-Christian but he does not argue a credible alternative that could survive the same measure of critique he gives Christianity.

4) In the end I believe the greatest proofs of Gods existence are the beauty, awesome power and wisdom of his creation, the presence of Jesus Christ in human history, the gift of the Spirit to every believer and his scriptures. I believe that a degree of faith is required to see these things for what they are. I believe an even greater degree of faith is required to deny that they reveal God.

Crow

It was interesting that Zakath suggested prions and viruses as protobionts. As both require a living cell host in which to replicate, I would think that they would not precede cellular life, as they would be unable to replicate themselves. Viruses replicate by essentially hijacking a functional cell. Prions appear to be a mutated form of a protein which occurs normally in the structure of a cell. There is evidence which suggests that prion diseases can be infectious in some cases, and inherited in others.

Stratnerd

Average Joe,

If this has been going on for all of this time, why are we not walking on more fossils than we have dirt?
because fossilization is unlikely; more probable that after an organism dies it gets consumed by all kinds of critter, bones and all.

Even then, scientists need to make an assumption that this one is related to that, etc.
of course, one must make assumptions for any historical event. the creationist makes the assumption that ALL fossilization takes place ithan n less < 10,000 years.

Take out the innaccurate theory of carbon dating, which is actually only good to within 100 to 200 years of an object, and even that, only good for the past 5000 years, small wonder.
method, not theory and there are numerous other radiometric methods.

6100 years folks, let's stick to the facts, and instead of assumin it is billions, and making the figures work for this number, let's stick to 6100, and see how much better everything fits.
i think it might be better to divorce yourself, even just temporarily, from Biblical literalism and see where the chips fall. You can't escape from assuming... a 6100 year old earth certainly isn't a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.