Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigotboy

Originally posted by isaiah 1:18
You know, it has been said that someone once turned water into wine...

Why, that is so absurd !!! Why don't you believe in something real, like a lizard became a bird because it wanted to..... well, I don't know why a lizard would become a bird. But there is a fossil in China that proves this happened !!!
(tongue in cheek, for the true believers)

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Isiah you wrote,

I haven't. But in the course of my life, I have seen things that cannot be explained by any stretch of the imagination nor with the employment of science.

I am curious as to what some of these things are.

I aint trying to be a smartarse here.. I respect what you write so I was after a fair dinkum answer.

Personally I have never seen ANYTHING that could not be explained or rationalised using science and nature !

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
I haven't. But in the course of my life, I have seen things that cannot be explained by any stretch of the imagination nor with the employment of science. I can be skeptical, of course, but I've learned not to rule certain things out just because it is not plausible based on what I know or thought I knew. There are of course certain "possiblities" that I hold dearer than others. In fact, you can say that I have great faith in them.

Could you perhaps give an example of these things that "cannot be explained," and tell us just how it is you've come to that conclusion. I would think that one could not say with certainty whether something "cannot be explained" unless one was familiar with all possible explanations, and could eliminate them all.

Now, as far as your water into gold; if you are able to do it, then it is possible. Scientifically speaking, it is an impossibility.

Actually, it's not an "impossibility," scientifically speaking. It is very difficult, to the point that we do not currently know a practical means of achieving this, but there's no basic physical laws that would have to be violated to turn water into gold. Both are naturally-occuring materials, and water contains all the basic constituent parts (electrons, protons, and neutrons, or their equivalent in quarks if you're rather drop down one more level) required for gold. All that's required is a method to rearrange them, and while we currently lack this, it is by no means "impossible" to conceive of its existence.

ex_fundy

Originally posted by jeremiah Yes and preety much everyone, especially Born again Christians can tell you of direct experiences with God or the Spirit of God. However you can dismiss them all as unreasonable, I suppose.
My realization of the false assumption underlying your claim was one of the events that helped me see my way out of fundamentalism. You see, some Mormon missionaries once visited me. While I debated them with the best anti-mormon material I could find in Christiandom, they made a simple statement that stuck in my mind. They mentioned a "burning in the bussum" that they experienced when they read the book of Mormon. Knowing (from the good Christian bible teaching I'd received) that Mormonism was false I suddenly realized that peoples supposed spiritual feelings were not an adequate guage for truth.

When one experiences that psychological high, they mistake the feelings for some sort of evidence of the truthfulness of their beliefs. But that cannot be true as those same feelings ("direct experiences" as you call them) are felt by millions of people in contradictory religions. Are the "direct experiences" of millions of people that believe in a different God than you any less relevent an indication for truth?

I led worship in several churchs, and it was easy to select the music and say the words that would induce these "direct experiences" of God.

ex_fundy

Originally posted by Bigotboy So I appeal to D. James Kennedy, who claims that many first century historians mention the death and resurrection of Jesus. This list includes Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Epictetus, and of course Josephus.
Have you verified that these people really attest to the resurrection in their writings? Or are you accepting it because James Kennedy says it's so? The reason I ask is because I've found the historic accuracy (not to mention his infamous Y2K dooms-day sermon) of Kenney isn't always as solid as he makes it appear.

Off the top of my head (so you should check it yourself), the Josephus passages is believed by some historians to have been tampered with (not an uncommon practice back then), and Tacitus does not mention the resurrection but torture of early Christians. I don't know about the other two.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by jeremiah
Yes and preety much everyone, especially Born again Christians can tell you of direct experiences with God or the Spirit of God. However you can dismiss them all as unreasonable, I suppose.

It would be most helpful if you wouldn't make assumptions about what I personally would or would not "dismiss." If you would like to know whether or not I'd dismiss any particular claim, please just ask.

I care what people think because I observe that ideas have consequences and that people's minds can be swayed to believe that which is not true.

Whenever you are presented with a new piece of information, you must judge for yourself whether or not to accept it as "true." Personally, I think that it is best if this decision be made on the basis of evidence and reason, as I can think of no particularly good reason against this approach, and many advantages to it. If someone follows such a course honestly, then they will remain open to accepting any new information that is so supported, and similarly will reject anything they currently believe if and only if it is shown to be incorrect. So what is wrong with this method? IF it is applied consistently and honestly, then the truth will win out in the end, will it not?

As a young student in high school and college I was persuaded to believe that evolution was true. Almost everything that I was taught as true evidence of evolution has been refuted by creation scientists.

That's very interesting. I would have to say that personally, I have yet to find a "refutation" that has been made by a creation "scientist" (and I do believe the quotation marks here are justified) that upon examination met the criteria of being presented fairly and honestly. Among other things, simply the fact that I was being presented with arguments that were apparently being made either through ignorance or a conscious attempt to deceive me caused me to place much less weight on what these people were saying. So I would be very curious to know just what arguments you found so compelling.

However modern evolutionists laugh at that and say. "That is not the real evidence for evolution, we never believed that either, here is the real evidence."

Do you really believe that this is what "modern evolutionists" say? Do you have examples?

More importantly, I would again wonder why the whole "evolution vs. creation" debate is one that you find either important or relevant in the context of this one.

Then when some of that is refuted then it becomes something else. It goes on and on. The evoltionists will always have a new theory and something that can not be absolutely falsified or absolutely proved to support their claims. Evolution is unfalsifiable, no one can go back 5 billion years or less to falsify it absolutely.

But if this form of "unfalsifiability" is to be pointed to as a fatal flaw, then we must recognize that it exists on both sides - and so cannot be used to distinguish between the two. So what would be the point?

I have said it a couple times before and I will repeat it again. Scientists are very intelligent and studious humans who are discovering and reverse engineering the processes of God's Creation. They then purposely MUST leave God out of the equation {to remain true objective Scientists} and then say this is how everything works. See there is no need for a god to explain how everything came into being.

Correct. But as I've said before, this by itself says nothing at all about whether or not there IS a God behind it all. Even if science should manage to answer all of the questions about "how," it does not address the issue of "why" - and THAT is the true domain of philosophy and theology.

BUT they seldom seriously ask themselves the two remaining questions. 1. What is the mathematical model for the random events. 2. Who, or how is it, or why, do the chemical and elemental laws and invariability of them always apply.

I'm not sure I see your point in question #1 - "random events" are mathematically modelled all the time. I use such models fairly regularly in my own work. Question 2 is, as I said, not GOING to come up in scientific research, since it is not the domain of science, but rather of philosophy or theology. Whoever said that science (or rather, the scientific community) thought it could tackle ALL questions?

But if evolutionary lies are accepted as truth, then young minds and impressionable minds will not seek God, they will not have a Saviour and they will die in their sins.

Sorry, but the evidence is against you on this one - there are a very, very large number, likely even the majority, of professed believers, who claim to believe devoutly in the same saviour you do, who apparently HAVE "sought God," and yet are also able to accept the evolutionary model as a satisfactory explanation of the "how" questions. So apparently it is not the case that simply accepting these answers as to how the world came to be what it is necessarily prevents one from also accepting God as the "why."

Man, not God is real, but he is also ultimately unnecessary and irrelevant. God is only a remote possibility and speculation. Man is a mere speck of life in a billion galaxies with a trillion more possible highly evolved and intelligent lifeforms. Man is nothing, man is dead. Welcome to the wonderful world of death. This is what evolution ultimately teaches. I have children, I do not want them to believe in lies, especially lies that lead to a culture of death.

But again, such a bleak outlook is hardly inevitable. You have apparently chosen to accept the idea that "evolution" (being used here as a VERY broad label) MUST force one to the above sort of depressing thoughts of insignificance. I have a very hard time accepting that, myself, since clearly I accept the evolutionary model and yet do not find my personal beliefs on philosophical or "spiritual" matters anything at all like this bleak picture. I am sure any number of others will tell you the same thing. I'm forced to conclude, then, through my own personal experience, that your characterization of "what evolution ultimately teaches" is mistaken.

Even if the belief in the God of the Bible and or any god was responsible for all the evil some men have alleged, then if evolution and atheism be true, then a belief in God is a mere brief chapter in the long history of life, and it is really evolution that is ultimately responsible for all death, and every evil of a species it happened to bring about.
If that be true let us get rid of evolution and not trifle with the mere figments of mens minds?

I'm afraid I don't understand that one at all; you begin with the assumption that evolution ("and atheism," although again there's no real reason to tie these together) is true, and then conclude that one should "get rid of it." But if it's true, it's true - you can't "get rid of it" except by deceiving yourself into imagining otherwise.

Just like Aussie Thinker was sick and tired of hearing the same Bible verses quoted over and over. I am sick and tired of hearing about the wonders of science and evolution. Evolution sucks. Evolution is death. Why are you atheisits and agnostics so fond of it? At least be HUMAN and say that you believe it is true, but you really don't like it either!!!???

What would be the point? Reality is reality, whether reality includes a God, or if creationist notions are true (again, the two are not at all required to be tied together), or if the evolutionary model is true, or if there is no God. What we like or dislike is irrelevant to what IS. You should certainly recognize this; it is often said by believers that atheists believe as they do simply because they "dislike God," but then that simply disliking something does not make it untrue. Similarly, liking a particular idea does not bring that concept into existence (despite any number of supposedly "New Age" sorts of nonsensical belief systems that would assert otherwise, that we can somehow "create our own reality"). No, sorry, another cornerstone of my particular "belief system" (and there's a clumsy phrase if ever there was one! :)) is that reality is reality, like it or not. The best that we can do, and perhaps the sole purpose of our existence, is to try to discover just what the reality IS and to deal with it on that basis.

Seek God and look for Him as diligently as you look for the next scientific discovery that supports evolution.

But this, more than anything else, simply demonstrates the gulf between the religious and scientific approaches to determining "truth." You assume that I am looking "for the next scientific discovery that supports evolution," when this is not the case at all. In science, we are supposed to determine our beliefs from what the evidence tells us, rather than looking for evidence to support our beliefs. I won't accuse all believers of doing the opposite, but I have certainly seen enough to suggest to me that religious establishments tend more to work to support their own existing belief system.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Bigotboy
That would be in his autobiogaphy and in his work "The Descent of Man". The quotes I found referenced versions of "Descent" from 1896 and later. The version of "Descent " I found on the Web was the 1871 version and it did not contain the information.

I hope you'll agree, then, that it's at least highly questionable that these "quotes" actually reflect the thoughts of Charles Darwin, as opposed to having been added to his work at a later time by someone trying to further their own agenda. Darwin died in 1882, and so to require that one look to editions published in 1896 or later (after their author's death) in order to find the quotes - which do not appear in a version published while Darwin was still alive - should raise some flags.

Probably one of the best on-line resources for verifying what Darwin actually said is the following, as it includes many digitized versions of the original texts in their first published form:

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/charles.darwin/

LightSon

Dear “faithless” one.

Dear “faithless” one.

Originally posted by LightSon
I'm curious whence certain dismissive attitudes towards atheists comes.

Originally posted by PERFIDIÆ
Dismissive or defensive?
I meant dismissive, but defensiveness is also evident. By “dismissive”, what I meant is that sometimes Christians treat atheists with a certain callous “you’re going to hell, and I don’t care” mentality.” That is a not an appropriate Christian attitude.

Originally posted by PERFIDIÆ
Do you think it's because atheists contend that the major claims of Christianity are demonstrably untrue and, on balance, Christianity has brought more harm than good to the world?
To the extent that you are right, yes many Christians can also find themselves feeling defensive. I feel it most everyday, after all, we are defending our faith against just this type of (quoted) attack.

Nevertheless, we are called to give you (atheist) folks a reason of the hope that is in us. That is why some of us are willing to get into the trenches and risk ridicule. It isn’t always fun. At some point, we may judge you to be swine and cease to cast forth our pearls, but regardless, we still have an obligation to care about you with respect to your bleak eternal destiny, even if you don’t have sense to.

For the record, if I believed that the claims of Christianity were “demonstrably untrue”, I would repudiate my faith. The reason I am a Christian, is that I have the conviction Jesus is who He claimed to be. Secondly, I won’t deny that Christianity, at least nominal Christianity, is responsible for great physical suffering. I would hold that this is not relevant to its truth claims however. In your paradigm, evolution causes all death. You wouldn’t dismiss the (alleged) veracity of evolution on that basis, would you?

Last edited:

SOTK

Originally posted by LightSon
If there is any value in spending my time contending for my faith then such contention should be a matter of prayer and heartfelt conviction.
If there is one atheist that might be turned to the cross of Christ, then for them I spend my time and will weep for their lost soul that they may have the joy and peace of Christ.

I'm curious whence certain dismissive attitudes towards atheists comes. I think God calls Christians to have compassion for the lost. If we don't deeply care that they too be reconciled to God, then I suspect something is wrong in our heart. This is one of the pitfalls of hyper-Calvinism, that somehow Christ didn't die for the lost, so why pray for them? The only problem with that attitude is that we don't know which of those "lost" will in fact turn to Christ, hence making them objects of redemption. This brand of hyper-Calvinism is presumptuous and harmful to the great commission which has been given the church. If God ordains the ends, He also ordiains the means to the ends, and shame on us if we are not making ourselves available as the means, as the tools, as the ministers of reconciliation.

Originally posted by LightSon To the extent that you are right, yes many Christians can also find themselves feeling defensive. I feel it most everyday, after all, we are defending our faith against just this type of (quoted) attack.

Nevertheless, we are called to give you (atheist) folks a reason of the hope that is in us. That is why some of us are willing to get into the trenches and risk ridicule. It isn’t always fun. At some point, we may judge you to be swine and cease to cast forth our pearls, but regardless, we still have an obligation to care about you with respect to your bleak eternal destiny, even if you don’t have sense to.

For the record, if I believed that the claims of Christianity were “demonstrably untrue”, I would repudiate my faith. The reason I am a Christian, is that I have the conviction Jesus is who He claimed to be. Secondly, I won’t deny that Christianity, at least nominal Christianity, is responsible for great physical suffering. I would hold that this is not relevant to its truth claims however. In your paradigm, evolution causes all death. You wouldn’t dismiss the (alleged) veracity of evolution on that basis, would you?

LightSon,

I have read quite a few of your posts and find your patience, attitude, and compassion towards atheists to be very refreshing. It seems to me that you were called by God to witness for Him in this capacity. I applaud that!

You are right in thinking that God calls Christians to have compassion for the lost. He does. I also feel that our Lord wants every man to be saved and to be reconciled to Him. As Christians, how can we best help God to achieve this? What's our role? Well, it's different for every Christian and differnt for every denomination. What kind of lost soul do we concentrate on? Again, I think it's different for everyone. For me, I concentrate on the lost soul who I think wants the message of salvation or who is at least open to it. I also wish for every man to be saved. However, I am severely limited by time.

I am fortunate that my job here on earth is a job that allows me to be of service to youth almost on a daily basis. I have opportunities at least once or twice a week where I can witness to a juvenile for Christ. I am also a recovering alcoholic which places me in a good position to witness for Christ in both adults as well as juveniles. It's at work though that I really see this ailment of mine help to open up dialogue between me and the troubled youth which more often than not leads to the subject of God. This is where I believe God wants me to be and these are the type of lost souls that God wants me to witness to.

I have learned a lot about witnessing to juvenile offenders. I have also learned a lot about what the most effective way is to rehabilitate the juvenile offender in the role that I have within my states Juvenile Justice system. If I am supervising 15 youth and 10 out of those 15 youth have manageable behavior, I will lock down the 5 youth who are being incorrigible and concentrate on the 10 youth who are willing to participate in programming. I don't forget about those 5 youth, but I certainly don't waste my time trying to reach them when they aren't wanting to be reached. They simply aren't ready yet, but I do have 10 youth who are. It's obvious to me what group of kids I should concentrate on giving the time constraints that exist for me and them. It's not that I am not compassionate for the kids that just don't get it or don't want to get, because I am. However, I am going to be somewhat dismissive of their behavior. I have to be if I want to reach as many kids as I can.

So, am I somewhat dismissive of the atheist's rejection of God and of their belief system? You bet. I can reach more lost souls concentrating on the people who are at least open to it than 3-5 atheists who aren't the least bit interested in the message of salvation. I feel that time spent arguing with the atheist takes precious time away from the lost souls who are wanting it which is why you want see me spending oogles of time debating with an atheist here at Theology online. It's a waste of my time as it's usually not productive. I've said it before. If I felt an atheist had a genuine desire or curiosity to at least be open to the Christian message, I would be up for that in a heartbeat!

I feel people have to be responsible for their behavior and attitudes. As much as I think God is a God of love, He is also a wrathful God. He has demonstrated His anger as being Just and has demonstrated this on numerous occasions in the bible. As much as I think He is saddened by the atheist's worldview, I am sure He is equally angered. I show compassion to the kids who have atrocious behavior in my unit at work, but I also show them my displeasure with their choices and behaviors. I am not going to pretend that their behavior and attitudes are ok, because they aren't.

In Christ,

SOTK

isaiah 1:18

Originally posted by bmyers
Could you perhaps give an example of these things that "cannot be explained," and tell us just how it is you've come to that conclusion. I would think that one could not say with certainty whether something "cannot be explained" unless one was familiar with all possible explanations, and could eliminate them all.

Well, to preface; though I left this clause to ambiguity, the idea that I was trying to express is that two schools of thought could not adequately account for some things that have been observed.

So what have I observed and where?

Where: Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica.

What: Levitation, moving objects w/o physical force, Witchcraft, the sight of "spirits." (And no drugs were injested at anytime while being witness to these things. After, you bet!)

Actually, it's not an "impossibility," scientifically speaking. It is very difficult, to the point that we do not currently know a practical means of achieving this, but there's no basic physical laws that would have to be violated to turn water into gold. Both are naturally-occuring materials, and water contains all the basic constituent parts (electrons, protons, and neutrons, or their equivalent in quarks if you're rather drop down one more level) required for gold. All that's required is a method to rearrange them, and while we currently lack this, it is by no means "impossible" to conceive of its existence.

Of course, that is correct. And I thought the same at first until I saw that Attention said, "by simply looking at it." He likes to test me like that by throwing in those sort of clauses. That part, as it is today, is scientifically impossible. But that might be one of the abilities of someone who possesses higher levels of telekinesis.

attention

isaiah 1:18:

There have not been labaratory controlled verifications of levitation, telekinesis and ESP that show that this phenomena exist.

You just saw a good show. That's all. And we all enjoy a good illusionist show, and are standing afterwards with amazement hod that sort of things could have happened.

A good illusionist trick is however not revealed, untill perhaps many years after the permformer has died. We know now how Houdini did his tricks.

Originally posted by ex_fundy
My realization of the false assumption underlying your claim was one of the events that helped me see my way out of fundamentalism. You see, some Mormon missionaries once visited me. While I debated them with the best anti-mormon material I could find in Christiandom, they made a simple statement that stuck in my mind. They mentioned a "burning in the bussum" that they experienced when they read the book of Mormon. Knowing (from the good Christian bible teaching I'd received) that Mormonism was false I suddenly realized that peoples supposed spiritual feelings were not an adequate guage for truth.

When one experiences that psychological high, they mistake the feelings for some sort of evidence of the truthfulness of their beliefs. But that cannot be true as those same feelings ("direct experiences" as you call them) are felt by millions of people in contradictory religions. Are the "direct experiences" of millions of people that believe in a different God than you any less relevent an indication for truth?

I led worship in several churchs, and it was easy to select the music and say the words that would induce these "direct experiences" of God.

Psychosomatics? Could be. I've seen just the same sort of thing myself. How to account for it?

Well some say all paths lead to God and that God meets people wherever they are culturally. Each culture has his words of guidance according to their culture. I do not subscribe to that theory just offerring it as a possibility.

But your point is none the less well made. All religious adherrants of the world have some sort of emotional experience.

I do not believe in epiphanies, per se , because I myself have never had one. I can't rule them out though. A lot of times, I find this especially true in the Pentacostal circles, feeling is believing. I can't entirely fault that view seeing as being a Christian is advertised as a relationship with God. And we know that as far as human relations go, that is human to human, they are almost entirely composed of "feelings." So naturally they would extend the same mode of relations to human to God.

One last point perhaps is that as far as true Christianity is concerned, it is a very unique religion in that it is the only one where one is "saved" by mere faith. It is a "gift" that merely has to be accepted. Whereas, every other world religion, to my knowledge, requires its subscribers to do some sort of acts or rituals to obtain some sort of reward.

To my mind, such a thing may suggest two possibilities.

1. True Christianity is false and all other religions are true.
2. All other religions are false and True Christianity is true.

(3. [For my atheist friends] - all religions are false.)

Originally posted by attention
isaiah 1:18:

There have not been labaratory controlled verifications of levitation, telekinesis and ESP that show that this phenomena exist.

You just saw a good show. That's all. And we all enjoy a good illusionist show, and are standing afterwards with amazement hod that sort of things could have happened.

A good illusionist trick is however not revealed, untill perhaps many years after the permformer has died. We know now how Houdini did his tricks.

You know, I have thought the same thing on both accounts of what you are saying. These phenomena have not been verified scientifically nor falsified for that matter. And I thought it might have been a "show." But the conditions with which these things occured are far from a show. In a show, you must be an observer who is kept back so as not to reveal secrets. And in a show, usually it is put on for some sort of gain. But in my case and that of my friends that were with me at the time, we were afforded a view that makes us more than mere observers but participants in the case of levitation. The telekinesis... one of those stories where you just had to be there. And we tried eveything we could to expose it as a trick even moving the one who possessed this ability to a different location thinking that perhaps there was something special about the location he was at. Didn't matter in the slightest.

The "ghost story"... how do you explain seeing an female aberration rise out of the ground, go to a well, fetch water, then return into the ground where it came from?

I can't. Perhaps someone can. Locals say it happens with frequency. Why? Optical illusion induced by certain forces of nature coming together at a point in time? Don't know.

How much credence do I give these things? Only as much as I've witnessed and to the degree that there have been similiar testimonies. But I stand with science being equally at a loss to explain these things.

Wadsworth

"Psychsomatics"

"Psychsomatics"

Hello all, I have returned-ed, at least for a while, until I get fed up with fundies again>
Hello Isaiah: As a doctor i just had to pick up on your apparent use of "psychosomatics". This term refers to illnesses of a physical nature which have a psychological cause, mainly in the form of stress. For instance Peptic ulcers, hysterical amnesia and anaesthesia, Migraine, irritable bowell syndrome etc. Nothing mystical about it; just a disturbed mind producing a disturbed body; which incidentally "proves" how the mind is a part of the body, and affects the rest of it. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

Last edited:

Wadsworth

Ilusionism and ESP

Ilusionism and ESP

Talking of "illusionists" and good shows, I once went to a meeting of the British Society for Psychical research, because it sounded like a serious scientific establishment. I was treated to a photo of a Lady slumped in the corner of a room, with a lace curtain stuffed in her mouth, (Ectoplasm, you see?"). Another photo was of apparently the same women with the end of a trumpet, (its always trumpets), stuck in a rather private part of her anatomy (in front), purporting to be a psychical emission of some kind. I was so disgusted at this obvious charlatinism, that later I wrote them a very stiff letter telling them what thought of them. so much for my only contact with Spiritualism, being passed off as Science.

attention

Isaiah 1:18:

Well what can be said? Your presentation of it give no clue to make any judgments.

What kind of levitation was it? A table? I've also seen it, in a TV show one time. A round table, people standing around it, and it came down from the ground.

How it is done? I have no clue, never saw an explenation.

The "ghost" story.. Where did it happen? Middle of nowhere, in the middle of nature? Or at some place where there are all sorts of artifacts of human civilization?

attention

How it is done? I have no clue, never saw an explenation.

Well this is not exactly true. I know of a way how it CAN be done: usage of strong magnetic fields, that lift the table upwards. The people around the table merely avoid the table from lifting to hight and from moving to far away from the source of magnetic repulsion.

I can not proof that this is the way this is done.
But it could be reconstructed and see if the table movement can be simulated in a simular way. All you have to do is experiment with the right sort of magnetic field, placement of the equipment, and that sort of thing.

LightSon

Originally posted by SOTK4ever
LightSon,

I have read quite a few of your posts and find your patience, attitude, and compassion towards atheists to be very refreshing. It seems to me that you were called by God to witness for Him in this capacity. I applaud that!

So, am I somewhat dismissive of the atheist's rejection of God and of their belief system? You bet. I can reach more lost souls concentrating on the people who are at least open to it than 3-5 atheists who aren't the least bit interested in the message of salvation. I feel that time spent arguing with the atheist takes precious time away from the lost souls who are wanting it which is why you want see me spending oogles of time debating with an atheist here at Theology online. It's a waste of my time as it's usually not productive. I've said it before. If I felt an atheist had a genuine desire or curiosity to at least be open to the Christian message, I would be up for that in a heartbeat!

I feel people have to be responsible for their behavior and attitudes. As much as I think God is a God of love, He is also a wrathful God. He has demonstrated His anger as being Just and has demonstrated this on numerous occasions in the bible. As much as I think He is saddened by the atheist's worldview, I am sure He is equally angered. I show compassion to the kids who have atrocious behavior in my unit at work, but I also show them my displeasure with their choices and behaviors. I am not going to pretend that their behavior and attitudes are ok, because they aren't.
Hi SOTK4ever,
You make many very good points. I agree that "God is angry with the wicked every day", yet this truth doesn’t diminish His love for them. All those outside of Christ have a relationship with God (of sorts); it is a relationship characterized by wrath. You clarified your position very well, and I have no problem with it. I sometimes question my level of involvement on this board. Is this is good use of the time, for which I am a steward?

Thanks for sharing about your involvement with Juveniles – it is a good analogy.

If I might ask, how long have you been in recovery from your Alcohol addiction?

Thanks for your words of fellowship; they were an encouragment to me.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
So what have I observed and where?

Where: Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica.

What: Levitation, moving objects w/o physical force, Witchcraft, the sight of "spirits." (And no drugs were injested at anytime while being witness to these things. After, you bet!)

I personally have witnessed any number of examples of things such as the above, which COULD readily have been presented as being of a "mystical" or "spiritual" origin. However, those presenting them made it quite clear that what we were all seeing was an illusion, being performed for our entertainment.

And yet, these illusions, unless you either know in advance how they are achieved, or are at least somewhat experienced in the trade yourself, can be utterly convincing. It's not hard at all to see how people could easily be convinced that they are evidence of the "supernatural," even people who are quite intelligent and otherwise extremely rational. (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is perhaps the most famous example of such a case, although certainly not the only one.) To date, I am unaware of any such examples of "mystical" or "supernatural" manifestations that have not been shown to be fraudulent when investigated by a competent researcher. (You may even be aware that James Randi, himself an accomplished illusionist, has a $1,000,000 reward for anyone who can demonstrate a genuine example of such phenomena, or that the magicians Penn & Teller have recently been demonstrating on television just how many such frauds have been achieved.) So I hope you'll understand why I'm a bit reluctant to accept such things as "evidence" without some rather serious investigation of them. There may be some legitimate examples out there, or there may not - but one thing is clear. If there is any example of "the real thing," it's being drowned out by the con artists.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Well this is not exactly true. I know of a way how it CAN be done: usage of strong magnetic fields, that lift the table upwards. The people around the table merely avoid the table from lifting to hight and from moving to far away from the source of magnetic repulsion.

I hope that Attention won't mind my using him as an example, but this does show why mainstream scientists are as likely as anyone else to be taken in by a good illusionist. (No, I'm not saying that Attention himself has been "taken in.")

I won't claim to be a "good illusionist," but I do have some experience in this area and can claim at least some knowledge of "the business." And I can say with no doubt at all that if said effect was achieved through magnetic repulsion, they were definitely doing it the hard way. Practically all such staged illusions (and I use that term to also cover "close-up" magic, the sort of thing that's performed with the audience - or marks, depending on the perspective of the performer - all around and close to the effect) are performed without any sort of such "technological" assistance. Most are done through methods which, if you know them, are simple and obvious (complex tricks are too likely to go wrong, for one thing), and the real art is in getting the audience to believe what you want them to believe, to look where you want them to look, etc.. A good part of the magician's trade relies on people's absolutely unwarranted faith in "eyewitness" experience, and thinking that this is not vulnerable to manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.