Ask the promoter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So you wanna battle eh???

Well, tell me what topics you would be interested in debating and we will consider your request. Keep in mind only the toughest combatants battle in the TheologyOnLine Battle Royale's and you look kinda weak and skinny!

Now get out of my office kid your bothering me!

<goes back to smoking cigar and reading the horse racing results>

Jaltus

I'll battle on OV vs. Arminianism

Should the KJV be the only English translation in use? (I say no)

Is God in time? (I can argue either side)

I think this is a good starting list. Let me know what you think.

Jaltus

I think God is more like Gandalf.

"Wizards are never late, Frodo Baggins, nor are we early. We always arrive exactly when we mean to."

Athanasius

"Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

I'd love to see a debate on the nature of Scripture, either on general philosophies of inspiration, on principles of translation, or on the KJV-Only debate specifically. (Seems like that's kind of where the other thread in this folder is heading.)

Some possible questions to pose:
  • Why do we regard the Bible as the inspired Word of God? Is its own testimony about itself sufficient?
  • Why is the Bible regarded as authoritative for Christian life? What role does tradition play in the Christian's view of spiritual authority?
  • What is the most "correct" method of translating Scripture? (Formal equivalence, dynamic equivalence, or paraphrase?)
  • Is the King James Bible the only Bible for English-speaking Christians?
Just some suggestions for others. I don't think I'm prepared to enter this particular fray yet. :) But now that I look at this list, I see that only the last one has a clear Yes/No line.

Ath

Gavin

I am kind of new here but I would be interested in debating. I have read the rules and understand them.

Here are three topics that I would be interested in:

1) Is the gift of tongues for today? (I would like argue that it is)

2) Does the Ontological Argument prove that God exists? (I would say so)

3) According to the Old Testament, was Jesus Christ the messiah? (altough I most certainly think he was the messiah and more, I could go either way on this one for debate purposes)

Anyone interested?

Jaltus

you should probably do some debating in the theology areas first for some warmups. Then you can see who you clash with, and then challenge them.

We are currently in the midst of another battle right now, but you could be next in line.

Y

Yxboom

Originally posted by Jaltus

We are currently in the midst of another battle right now, but you could be next in line.

I have witnessed Jaltus use such a term so loosely, "battle".

Rather more a slau<cough>ghter! Excuse me. A lil fly umm...nevermind.

the apostate

Village Idiot
perceptions that have been reinforced by opinions that have been constructed by perceptions and further reinforced by opinions about those perceptions and yadda yadda yadda. you wont have much ground to debate on but it sounds like fun for me. how about:

divine assurance of absolute truths- real enough to validate all of
existance or fallible human chemical response

religion- safe haven for all or global corporation

the bible- reliable beyond personal opinion or sliced spliced diced and edited beyond the ability to hold it as a referance for absolute truth

D

Dee Dee Warren

How about.... should first time posters be required to have training wheels?? :D :cool: :p

Calvinist

"your answer was randomly selected based on customer information gathered from independent credit surveys. You may write to:

Random Yes/No Answer House
11 Because I said so Street
NoneYa, Business 10110

to recieve a copy of our request and their reply. Thank you."

D

Dee Dee Warren

Oh I thought you used the magic eight ball. My bad. If you see the thread he just started you might want to change your answer, or at least phone a friend.

D

Dee Dee Warren

I thought so. You hold him down, and I put on the training wheels on.

Post Modern Fundamentalist
what happens to those who've never heard

what happens to those who've never heard

I would be happy to do a battle royal with anyone on the possibility of salvation of those outside of the reach of the Gospell.

I believe that salvation is attainable for those people.

geoff

In other words, you dont believe that the Gospel is beyond the reach of any person...

I would disagree... I would say that the "gospel" (good news about Jesus - The Messiah) is not available to everyone, practically, but that doesnt mean that people can not hear about, or know that there is a creator God and trust themselves into His hands... According to Scripture that is enough to be saved.

Of course, it does pose problems for fundies/dispies/blah blah blah

and I wouldnt want to debate it.. considering "in principle" I agree... (but in specifics, no).

why did I type this?
hmm
I think I am going insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.