Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Greywolf
My participation in that thread (can't seem to find it now, else I'd post a link) was due to me testing out an idea that I had just come up with. I still don't believe that absolute morality exists, but if you can make the case for it, I'd be glad to engage you.
OK... I got a few things goin on elsewhere but I will start with this.....

In your opinion is there any action (any action at all) that is absolutely wrong? Like say... rape or murder etc.

I realize that sounds like a odd question since you have already stated you reject absolutes but hey... we gotta start somewhere! :D

Please forgive me if I am slow to answer. I am REALLY busy lately. :(

Greywolf

Originally posted by Knight
Uh... GW?

Sorry about not responding sooner. I came up with an idea recently (had to put the finishing touches on it first though, hence the delay) and figured that this would be a good place to test it out, if it's alright with you. If so, in each post, I'll provide two answers, one for my current beliefs (regular text), and one according to the idea I came up with (italicized text). I'll wait to hear back from you and then reply to post 861 accordingly.

(Sorry for keeping you waiting again)

beanieboy

Can I ask a bunch of quick answers, because I'm not sure where to find the answers, and I'm sure they are here somewhere:

Closed cannon: That means that the bible is done, and God no longer has anything to say, right?
Calvinism: Can you give readers digest version of that?

Gratzie

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Sorry about not responding sooner. I came up with an idea recently (had to put the finishing touches on it first though, hence the delay) and figured that this would be a good place to test it out, if it's alright with you. If so, in each post, I'll provide two answers, one for my current beliefs (regular text), and one according to the idea I came up with (italicized text). I'll wait to hear back from you and then reply to post 861 accordingly.

(Sorry for keeping you waiting again)
OK.

I wasn't rushing you... I just wasn't sure if you saw my last post or not.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by beanieboy

Can I ask a bunch of quick answers, because I'm not sure where to find the answers, and I'm sure they are here somewhere:

Closed cannon: That means that the bible is done, and God no longer has anything to say, right?
God no longer has anything to say? That is sort of loaded wouldn't you agree?

God has TONS to say.... but now does it through His Body via His word and the Holy Spirit.

Calvinism: Can you give readers digest version of that?

Gratzie
Calvinism is the theology that states that God ordained every movement of every molecule, every thought, every action, every...... EVERYTHING at some point in the past.

beanieboy

Really? I'll have to check that out. Bizarre concept.

re: Closed cannon - I didn't mean to hand you a loaded gun.
It simply means that what is written in the Bible is the end, and God does not continue to write outside the bible, or speak outside of the bible. Right?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by beanieboy

Really? I'll have to check that out. Bizarre concept.
Have you been living in cave? :D ;)

re: Closed cannon - I didn't mean to hand you a loaded gun.
It simply means that what is written in the Bible is the end, and God does not continue to write outside the bible, or speak outside of the bible. Right?
I get the gist of your question and without arguing over words... yes, you have the right idea of the meaning. :up:

(at least I think that you do) :D

beanieboy

Thanks.

Calvinism? I haven't read the thread because I didn't understand what it meant. So, yeah, living in a cave.

Thanks again.

Greywolf

In your opinion is there any action (any action at all) that is absolutely wrong? Like say... rape or murder etc.

No there is not.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rape and killing (aside from self-defense).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

No there is not.
So in essence there is nothing more than personal preference right?

Like for instance.... I prefer not to take innocent lives or rape women but others may prefer to do those things and both views are morally equivalent.

Rape and killing (aside from self-defense).
Can we simplify and call killing "murder"? That way we know what type of killing we are referring to.

Greywolf

So in essence there is nothing more than personal preference right?

Yes

Like for instance.... I prefer not to take innocent lives or rape women but others may prefer to do those things and both views are morally equivalent.

Since both views are nothing more than personal preference they don't really hold any weight.

Can we simplify and call killing "murder"? That way we know what type of killing we are referring to.

Are you saying we should refer to "killing in order to defend oneself" as "killing" and all other types of killing as "murder"?

(I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, and I won't be able to answer your reply until I return. See you in a few days.)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yes
Is this how you really feel GW?

Do you believe this to be true?

Was hanging blacks for no other reason than their skin was a different color a valid and acceptable personal preference?

Are you saying we should refer to "killing in order to defend oneself" as "killing" and all other types of killing as "murder"?
Let's just stick with rape for now so there will be no confusion.

So... you think rape is absolutely wrong?

(I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, and I won't be able to answer your reply until I return. See you in a few days.)
Cool beans.. you may need to remind me about this discussion in case it slips my mind.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Knight,
Are you having fun beating on the Calvinists?
YES and NO.

Yes, because its fun and easy to expose their unbiblical theology.

No, because its tragic to see how a flawed theology perverts and distorts the minds of really neat Christian folks.

Greywolf

Is this how you really feel GW?

Do you believe this to be true?

Was hanging blacks for no other reason than their skin was a different color a valid and acceptable personal preference?

Personally, I think it was wrong and utterly detestable. Just because I think that was wrong, doesn't mean that it was absolutely wrong. It's just my opinion.

Let's just stick with rape for now so there will be no confusion.

OK

So... you think rape is absolutely wrong?

Yes.

Cool beans.. you may need to remind me about this discussion in case it slips my mind.

I'll PM you when I get back.

(Now it's off to bed for me. :yawn: )

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'll PM you when I get back.

(Now it's off to bed for me. :yawn: )
Deal.

And... I think there is really only so far we can take this topic without you declaring what you really believe on the issue.

We can talk about it when you return.

Status
Not open for further replies.