As an Atheist, how do you deal with even the most beligerant, ignorant, and hateful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-Hate93

Do you simply ignore them?

Do you combat their arguments with reasonable, intelligent responses that counteract their opinions?

Both would be wise strategies, but we are shown time and time again that they are unwilling, or unable, to listen to reason. So what should an Atheist do when confronted with someone so hateful?

allsmiles

Do you combat their arguments with reasonable, intelligent responses that counteract their opinions?

Both would be wise strategies, but we are shown time and time again that they are unwilling, or unable, to listen to reason. So what should an Atheist do when confronted with someone so hateful?

Try to be reasonable but know when to shake the dust from your heels and walk away.

Anti-Hate93

I guess, but man I've been talking to some of these people, and I gotta tell you. I'm really sheltered haha. They're freaking insane! I Think I'm getting a little taste of the real world. Its bitter, foul, and unpleasant.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Best way to deal with it is to bow to their wisdom, bend a knee to God and ask Jesus to be your Lord. Then all that hate and animosity that you are experiencing will be lifted and you will find contentment and everlasting life. Good Luck! We will pray for you.

Squishes

This is a silly post.
You do things as a person, not an atheist. The rest just smacks of patronizing elitism.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

I could have written pretty much the same post that you did upon entering TOL and being exposed to the atheist "welcoming committee".

What's "reasonable and wise" to an atheist often times goes against the Word of God. His Word is not an "opinion"; therein lies your problem.
________
Dementia Advice

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I guess, but man I've been talking to some of these people, and I gotta tell you. I'm really sheltered haha. They're freaking insane! I Think I'm getting a little taste of the real world. Its bitter, foul, and unpleasant.

:think:

Maybe you just need to brush your teeth. :plain:

Krsto

Smugness seems to work pretty well and seems to come easy for atheists. I've actually taken some lessons from them and done the same.

allsmiles

This is a silly post.
You do things as a person, not an atheist. The rest just smacks of patronizing elitism.

People of principle conduct themselves according to their own particular worldview. Maybe you do things as a person (whatever that means, please don't try explaining it to me, I don't care) but maybe you should speak less of what motivates other people's behavior and speak more of yourself.

Squishes

People of principle conduct themselves according to their own particular worldview. Maybe you do things as a person (whatever that means, please don't try explaining it to me, I don't care) but maybe you should speak less of what motivates other people's behavior and speak more of yourself.

You are free to discuss your religion with anyone you want.
And I say this to you as an agnostic.

allsmiles

TRUTHSTOMP!!!

TRUTHSTOMP!!!

I could have written pretty much the same post that you did upon entering TOL and being exposed to the atheist "welcoming committee".

What's "reasonable and wise" to an atheist often times goes against the Word of God. His Word is not an "opinion"; therein lies your problem.

Yeah but the word of your god sounds like foolishness and is thoroughly unreasonable and not always that wise... I mean, come on, animal husbandry isn't exactly the Bible's strong suit (Genesis 30:37-39) and neither is the cure for blindness (mud and spit, John 9:6).

That this primitive tome, chock full of bronze-age absurdities, contains much in the way of accurate information is certainly an opinion, and a bad one at that.

A condescending tone is worth a chuckle when it comes from someone who happily makes of themselves a sheep, a child and a slave to a master they can't see. That's what North Koreans do toward Kim Jong Il. You're just another brainwashed little sheep following a tyrannical dictator, except in Chosun, they have a chance of actually seeing the psychopath that steps on their faces :)

Katie

... but we are shown time and time again that they are unwilling, or unable, to listen to reason.

And what *is* your Reason? I did not think that atheists would dare to admit having such, especially on forums such as this one. You have grabbed my attention with your amazement at what you perceive to be *their* lack of reason when you are an atheist, and so ... I hope you do not disappoint to explain to me, one who will listen, the reason that you have been trying to offer them that they are refusing to listen to. :)

zippy2006

Yeah but the word of your god sounds like foolishness and is thoroughly unreasonable and not always that wise... I mean, come on, animal husbandry isn't exactly the Bible's strong suit (Genesis 30:37-39) and neither is the cure for blindness (mud and spit, John 9:6).

That this primitive tome, chock full of bronze-age absurdities, contains much in the way of accurate information is certainly an opinion, and a bad one at that.

A condescending tone is worth a chuckle when it comes from someone who happily makes of themselves a sheep, a child and a slave to a master they can't see. That's what North Koreans do toward Kim Jong Il. You're just another brainwashed little sheep following a tyrannical dictator, except in Chosun, they have a chance of actually seeing the psychopath that steps on their faces :)

fancy words, few arguments. Is a condescending tone worth a chuckle when it comes from you? :chuckle:

allsmiles

And what *is* your Reason? I did not think that atheists would dare to admit having such, especially on forums such as this one. You have grabbed my attention with your amazement at *their* lack of reason, and so ... I hope you do not disappoint to explain to me, one who will listen, the reason that you have been trying to offer them that that they are refusing to listen to. :)

It's reasonable to say that Jesus wasn't his own father. It's also reasonable to say that blindness can't be cured with dirt and spit. It's reasonable to say that these things are the product of primitive, ill-informed ancient minds who pretty much made it all up.

I'm not gullible for disbelieving that thousands can be fed with a few loaves and fishes, Christians are gullible for taking such an obviously mythological story literally.

Do you want me to go on? :idunno:

allsmiles

Oh, you're being an idiot.
I take it this is part and parcel of the "atheist worldview."

I never said I defined my worldview according to atheism. It's part of my worldview but not the whole thing. Again, why don't you spend less time talking about other people and more time talking about yourself? the more you try to tell me about myself the more incorrect you are :)

allsmiles

fancy words, few arguments. Is a condescending tone worth a chuckle when it comes from you? :chuckle:

Which of those words were fancy? And I pointed to a couple of examples of the absurdities your primitive tome contains. There's more, much more. It was written by ignorant primitives and reads that way. Maybe you're feeling some confusing, latent embarrassment? Maybe parroting my words back to me like some pea brained bird is your way of coping with how indefensible the Bible is when it's taken literally?

Status
Not open for further replies.