Are police trigger happy?

Gary K

Banned
You don't seem to be able to think rationally about this issue. I regard Franklin as one of the greatest of the founders of our nation. But I'm not blind about his faults, which he himself admitted. Don't try to make a plaster saint of him. He was a great and good man with flaws. Most of us are more flawed then he was.

That he indulged in premarital and extramarital sex is not unique among the founders. Let it go.

When you go about insinuating that Franklin was something other than what he was, you're lying about him. You take one incident early in his life and build a construct that you apply to his entire life. And you do so in defiance of all the evidence from Franklin's writings and the esteem his contemporaries held him in. You are quick to believe evil of him, and completely resistant to all the evidence against your belief.

Franklin's advice to a young man to get married, and not have affairs, you construe into him giving advice to play the field and have sex with older women. It's a flat out lie. You'll believe those who twist his words out of any sense of reality, and ignore his words. It clearly outlines your agenda.

It's pretty revealing that you define thinking "rationally" as ignoring all the evidence from Franklin's writings in favor of believing evil of the man.

Gary K

Banned
An addendum to my post quoting Franklin's written devotionals and beliefs.

Franklin wrote these things in 1728 at the age of 22. He lived by these things, and the list of virtues he wanted his life to exemplify that I quoted from his autobiography which he wrote by the age of 24 or 25. This was a thoughtful man who had a very strong code of personal moral conduct by which he lived. Having multiple affairs with any woman who offered herself to him is far outside his own ideas of how he both desired and needed to live.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Give it up. Franklin had an illegitimate son by an unknown woman. He was caught propositioning the mistress of a friend. He lived with a woman for decades without marrying her.

Instead of denying these things, learn to live with it.

THall

It is insane to say the "police are trigger happy". If I have learned one thing in training L.E. over the years it is this. There are well run departments with great leadership that follow our laws, trigger happy officers are run out and quick. There are corrupt departments where all of the officers are corrupt and code of silence is in full force. Bad officers never get ratted out and are never held accountable. The big cities pay out millions in civil law suits covering their transgressions, but refuse to prosecute officers in criminal court. The corrupt city actors have learned that if you allow a criminal trial to go forward, your 1.5 million dollar payment jumps to a 6.5 million dollar payment in the subsequent civil trial.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It is insane to say the "police are trigger happy".

There are probably 50 good cops for every corrupt one. But there are a lot of cops, and the recent increase in cell phones with cameras has started to expose the few who are sociopaths.

If I have learned one thing in training L.E. over the years it is this. There are well run departments with great leadership that follow our laws, trigger happy officers are run out and quick. There are corrupt departments where all of the officers are corrupt and code of silence is in full force.

Pretty much so.

Bad officers never get ratted out and are never held accountable. The big cities pay out millions in civil law suits covering their transgressions, but refuse to prosecute officers in criminal court. The corrupt city actors have learned that if you allow a criminal trial to go forward, your 1.5 million dollar payment jumps to a 6.5 million dollar payment in the subsequent civil trial.

The answer is to make individual cops financially responsible for their behavior. If they knew that beating up an innocent person could cost them their house, they'd be much less likely to do it. If there are no consequences, they have no reason to act within the law.

THall

The answer is to make individual cops financially responsible for their behavior. If they knew that beating up an innocent person could cost them their house, they'd be much less likely to do it. If there are no consequences, they have no reason to act within the law.

I agree 100 percent. It starts with having police buy their own personal liability insurance, not the tax payers. As soon as the insurance companies won't insure the risk, they are done.

But just as important, you must get independent prosecutors and independent civilian review boards to look at misconduct. It is a clear conflict of interest for the prosecutor working for the city that is in jeopardy, to decide if criminal charges should be brought against the officer/suspect.

You must also hold the leadership of the cop shops responsible for the "code of silence" and the culture of cover ups.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
When you go about insinuating that Franklin was something other than what he was,

I said he was one of the greatest founders, a world-class scientist, and a man with flaws, as we all are. He has my admiration. That doen't mean that his fathering a child out of wedlock,or his attempt to seduce the mistress of a friend, or his self-admitted involvement with "low women" was admirable. It would have been better if he had married the woman he lived with for decades. It just means he had flaws like all of us do.

you're lying about him.

I'm citing historical material, including his autobiography.

You take one incident early in his life...

Several throughout his life.

And I do so citing the evidence from Franklin's writings and other sources. Instead of denying these facts, you should come to terms with them.

and the esteem his contemporaries held him in.

The same esteem in which I hold him. Standards were different in those days. He was hardly the only founder to have done things like this. You have to judge a man in terms of the times in which he lived.

You are unable to see any flaws in Franklin, and are completely resistant to all the evidence against your belief.

It's pretty revealing that you define thinking "rationally" as ignoring all the evidence from Franklin's life in favor of believing him to be some kind of plaster saint.