Are fairy tales good for children?

Kate

Is it good to put into our children's impressionable heads teaching about magic and life's lessons that a kind fairy or a prince will come and fix it all? I now think it does more harm than good.

Z Man

It all depends on what the magic is used for and what lessons are being taught. For example, Harry Potter stories are filled with magic that is used for the good of an individual. It teaches to do things for yourself, and that you can do anything, as long as it hurts no one (first commandment in the wiccan religion, btw).

On the other hand, however, we have Lord of The Rings, were a boy is given the responsibility to save the world. This story teaches, however, that we should humble ourselves and do what's best for others, putting them first instead of ourselves. Two "harmless" fairy tales that the world instantly enjoys, but only one is worth your child's attention...

Sozo

Re: Are fairy tales good for children?

Originally posted by Kate
Is it good to put into our children's impressionable heads teaching about magic and life's lessons that a kind fairy or a prince will come and fix it all?

I do not think that Michael Jackson or Prince can fix anything, so I am against tales about fairies.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Are fairy tales good for children?

Re: Re: Are fairy tales good for children?

Originally posted by Sozo

I do not think that Michael Jackson or Prince can fix anything, so I am against tales about fairies.
Now, Sozo.. is that very nice? This is friendship week you know. We all need to be nice. I'm doing my part and so should you. In fact, I'm not even going to mention that I fully agree with your statement.:D ;)

Rapunzel

Goose's Publicist
Once upon a time...i heard this fairytale about this chick in a tower with really long hair...then this handsome prince dude came and climbed up her hair and was all..." I love you..." and then they lived happily ever after....sooo....I bought a tower, use Pantiene ProV strengthening shampoo, grew my hair out to 80 feet...and named myself Rapunzel. I have yet to find a prince...but according to the story that should happen soon....*sighhh*...

billwald

Children are better at detecting the nature of fairy tales than are some Fundamentalists. For example, Catholics understand that "Bel and the Dragon" is a parable, a fairy tale. Probably so is the story about the Fiery furnace" in Daniel. Maybe Noah.

Rapunzel

Goose's Publicist
I think fairytales are GREAT for kids!!! Especially that cinderella one...that prince was one GOOOOD LOOKIN man!!!

Kate

Cinderella complex

Cinderella complex

And so every young girl is brought up to be a lady in waiting... just like in the fairy tale...

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, if you're like me, you tell your daughter that it's just a story. Tell them that no prince is going to come "rescue" them.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Are fairy tales good for children?

Originally posted by Kate
Is it good to put into our children's impressionable heads teaching about magic and life's lessons that a kind fairy or a prince will come and fix it all? I now think it does more harm than good.

Kate,

You're statement echoes a similar argument I hear from non-religionists on occasion:

"Is it good to put into our children's impressionable heads teaching about dieties and miracles and life's lessons that a kind deity or preacher will come and fix it all?" ;)

Children are a lot more resilient (and intelligent) than we give them credit for. They generally figure out the life-lessons behind most "fairy tales" (use your wits to escape problems, take care of those who are needy, resist and overcome evil, etc.) quite well. Most of them are less impressed with the "magic" than most adults would believe since magic doesn't work in the "real world."

Paradõsis

Saint Basil suggested that we use non-Christian reading material, though cautiously.

Into the life eternal the Holy Scriptures lead us, which teach us through divine words. But so long as our immaturity forbids our understanding their deep thought, we exercise our spiritual perceptions upon profane writings, which are not altogether different, and in which we perceive the truth as it were in shadows and in mirrors. Thus we imitate those who perform the exercises of military practice, for they acquire skill in gymnastics and in dancing, and then in battle reap the reward of their training. We must needs believe that the greatest of all battles lies before us, in preparation for which we must do and suffer all things to gain power. Consequently we must be conversant with poets, with historians, with orators, indeed with all men who may further our soul's salvation. Just as dyers prepare the cloth before they apply the dye, be it purple or any other color, so indeed must we also, if we would preserve indelible the idea of the true virtue, become first initiated in the pagan lore, then at length give special heed to the sacred and divine teachings, even as we first accustom ourselves to the sun's reflection in the water, and then become able to turn our eyes upon the very sun itself. - Basil the Great, Address To Young Men On the Right Use of Greek Literature, 2

Last edited:

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I loved fairy tales when I was a little girl, but I don't think I ever expected my life to be like one. It was just a fun way to stretch my imagination. I loved reading them to my girls when they were little and they haven't grown up believing that "a kind fairy or a prince will come and fix it all." It was just a lot of fun for all of us. As Christians, I think we have to be careful not to take some things too seriously. We could end up depriving our children and ourselves of many wonderful experiences.

Goose

When I was a little girl...oh wait. hehe

I think that fantasies of this sort are fun yet unrealistic and somewhat dismissed as time goes by from the young age. But as they grow up, and young women see the "There IS a Prince Charming for YOU" type books, it's too irrisistable to not buy it and read it in hopes that maybe that fantasy long ago might actually come true. Especially if you can't deal with yor present reality.

Goose

Re: So true

Re: So true

Originally posted by KamiQuasi

That's because they just don't make tights like they used to.
For real. When I try to ride my white horse with them, they just chafe my skin.:D

KamiQuasi

Seriously though

Seriously though

Truthfully, this is a subject that means a lot to me because I see my youngest sister reading the Harry Potter books, and I'm not so sure how she thinks about magic.
I think, however, that in the proper context fairy tales are a good way to encourage creative thinking and even sometimes some problem solving abilities.
The context would be that the child already has a certain level of discernment that enables them to take the tales and focus less on the fantastic and more on the life-applicable parts. Even the Harry Potter series has elements of mystery, teamwork, and things that I can't say are directly related to wiccan beliefs.
The problem is that most parents do not take the time to discuss the fantastic parts of books with their children and even less time on the life-applicable lessons.
This is true of the Bible also. We frequently read the Word to our children as a compilation of good stories, and fail to help them apply them to their lives, and worst of all we leave it as stories.
I do agree with whoever posted about children being more intuitive of the moral lessons from tales though.
I guess just to summarize, I think that anything we potentially give to children has the possibility of being bad for them. It is not their responsibility, but ours to ensure that we help them to learn discernment of good and bad above all else. Otherwise their conscience is hung out to dry, and we end up with a bunch of unfeeling, uncaring, young people that are indifferent to everything...the 'Whatever Generation'.