ARCHIVE: The Apostle Pauls affirms that a Christian can sin.

Sozo

Knight said:
So then what did Fred do? Do you have a name for it? Do you have a general term for things that would be sin if not for the fact that a person is a Christian?

In that instance, I would call it stealing.

Under the Law, stealing is a sin.

In America, stealing is a crime.

In the Body of Christ, stealing is unprofitable behavior, and God does not want us to do those things that He judges the world for.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sozo said:
In that instance, I would call it stealing.

Under the Law, stealing is a sin.

In America, stealing is a crime.

In the Body of Christ, stealing is unprofitable behavior, and God does not want us to do those things that He judges the world for.
OK, lets say Fred was stealing. And in the same day (hypothetically of course) Fred coveted, and he also committed adultery.

Fred had done these three things all in one day. Do you have a verb to describe what he was doing that day?

Sozo

Knight said:
OK, lets say Fred was stealing. And in the same day (hypothetically of course) Fred coveted, and he also committed adultery.

Fred had done these three things all in one day. Do you have a verb to describe what he was doing that day?

Suddenly, I feel like the Beaver.

"Do you men Fred Rutherford, sir"

Misbehaving.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sozo said:
Misbehaving.
So Christians can misbehave?

When a Christian man or Christian woman cheats on their spouse or when a Christian murders their neighbor they are misbehaving, right?

SIDE NOTE:

From my thesaurus.... (not that I needed to post this because it's pretty much common knowledge)

Main Entry: misbehave
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: be naughty
Synonyms: act up, be bad, be dissolute, be guilty, be immoral, be indecorous, be insubordinate, be mischievous, be reprehensible, carry on, cut up, deviate, do evil, do wrong, fail, fool around*, go astray, go wrong, horse around, make trouble, misconduct, offend, roughhouse*, screw around, sin, transgress, trespass​

Sozo

Well, gee no, you cannot use the dictionary to define sin.

Sin is defined by the Law, which was given by God, not Webster.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sozo said:
Well, gee no, you cannot use the dictionary to define sin.

Sin is defined by the Law, which was given by God, not Webster.
Why not? Why can't we use words the way they are commonly understood?

If using the word sin the way Paul used it is a crime, then I guess I am a criminal. :)

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I thought you were staying out of this one.

I was until the thread moved to a one on one with Knight and sozo. Now it is a free for all on this thread.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Who does the unrighteous thing, the new creation, or the old nature?

The person: man has one will, not two. The one will yields to the flesh or the spirit in any given choice. Though a believer's relationship and identity is as a saint, set apart for holiness and service, it does not preclude the possibility of an isolated, volitional wrong motive, thought, or action that is not the same as being a godless, habitual, Christ-rejecting sinner.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I have a hard time believing that someone who is in Christ would do such a thing.

Will not/should not is not the same as cannot (sozo is a cannot, against biblical and anecdotal evidence).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
:up: Thank you.

it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.
it was Fred who sinned.

Sozo... is Lighthouse going to hell now? ;)

Yes...or sozo will have to admit ME into his heaven.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Inu Yasha said:
If it is not the Christian in Fred who sinned, then how is Lighthouse wrong? The flesh is not Christian, is it? It is not in Christ, is it?

You cannot separate the person from their choices.

Sozo

Knight said:
Why not? Why can't we use words the way they are commonly understood?
You mean in the same way a homosexual says they love their partner?

It's not love, just because it is commonly referred to as such.

In fact, most people believe that sin brings enimty between them and God.

elected4ever

Knight said:
We can't.
We agree here.

Knight said:
You have already admitted that we can act out our fleshy desires. Therefore the fleshy part of us can miss the mark.
Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

Knight said:
Are you suggesting that it's impossible for a Christian to do something evil? (by God's standard)
God uses the evil to bring the evil upon the evil. Evil is by God's standard and not ours. A righteous act deemed evil by man is not evil at all in God's eyes. If we do righteously and be punished as an evil doer by man then we have praise of God. All the evil a man does is of the flesh and we are not of the flesh and the evil is not of the spirit.

Knight said:
You are 100% wrong. The righteous stay righteous even in the face of sin because Christ COVERS our sin. It isn't that we can't do wrong, it's that we are no longer held accountable for doing wrong.
The soul remains accountable. that is why it must die. We would live forever if the soul were not still accountable. By the blood of Christ we have the ability to come to the Father. The blood is not what saves but what makes it possible for us to be saved. What saves us is the seed of God placed into His children and births within us a new spirit bringing a new life. We are a new creation not the old . the old remains dead. We are the new life. We have been made like Jesus by the work of the father. Which life do you identify with? The old or the new?[/QUOTE]

Sozo

godrulz said:
The person: man has one will, not two. The one will yields to the flesh or the spirit in any given choice. Though a believer's relationship and identity is as a saint, set apart for holiness and service, it does not preclude the possibility of an isolated, volitional wrong motive, thought, or action that is not the same as being a godless, habitual, Christ-rejecting sinner.

The mind of godrulz should be a clue why it is error to teach that Christians sin. He carries it into a whole new meaning, and uses it to preach his false gospel.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
godrulz said:

The mind of godrulz should be a clue why it is error to teach that Christians sin. He carries it into a whole new meaning, and uses it to preach his false gospel.

How is what godrulz said above any different than what Knight has also been saying? How is godrulz carrying it to a whole new meaning?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sozo said:
That's a different argument.

I assert you are both wrong.

Sozo, you would have a much better case against godrulz if you acknowledged the various ways the word sin is used in the Bible.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Poly said:
How is what godrulz said above any different than what Knight has also been saying? How is godrulz carrying it to a whole new meaning?
I think he is referring to how godrulz does not acknowledge how the Christian is immune to sin.

Sozo

Knight said:
I think he is referring to how godrulz thinks does not acknowledge how the Christian is immune to sin.
Yes, correct. Sorry Poly, for any confusion on my part.

Sozo

Knight said:
Sozo, you would have a much better case against godrulz if you acknowledged the various ways the word sin is used in the Bible.
Is it working for you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
elected4ever said:
The soul remains accountable. that is why it must die. We would live forever if the soul were not still accountable. By the blood of Christ we have the ability to come to the Father. The blood is not what saves but what makes it possible for us to be saved. What saves us is the seed of God placed into His children and births within us a new spirit bringing a new life. We are a new creation not the old . the old remains dead. We are the new life. We have been made like Jesus by the work of the father.
No disagreement here. Yet Fred still has the capability of stealing the iPod, and we use the verb sin to describe that type of behavior.

Fred is giving into the flesh, by stealing the iPod. Fred is sinning, thankfully Fred's sin will be covered!

Romans 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered; 8 Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin.”