ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaulToPaul 2

The issue of consciousness is entirely irrelevant to the issue because a man cannot be rightly punished for an action if he could not have acted otherwise.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I was born with a sinful nature, through no choice of my own.

If I don't trust Christ, I'll be rightly punished with eternal death because of the sin
that dwells in me. I can try until I'm blue in the face, but I cannot act righteously
in my flesh.

themuzicman

Does your bible say that you are condemned for having a sinful nature or for sinning?

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death​

Mine says for sinning.

Muz

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It was not my intention to suggest that you are stupid. I'm never quite that subtle in that regard.

So if from your perspective you are the chosen one and have been given a mission from God to kill all the Jews (for example) does that make it so?

How is the illusion of choice the same as really making a choice?

How do you know this? Perhaps not only your choice is an illusion but your entire life! Do you believe that since you are unaware of an overriding influence that therefore none exists? There are all sorts of things going on around you that you are completely unaware of. Do they not exist either?

Philosophers have asked this question, David Hume for example. I think we do know reality, but what reality we know is limited to our perceptions.

If God has certain advanced knowledge of T where T=any specific action you take then T was not done freely. That's what we've proven with more than one rational argument. Your having simply stated otherwise does nothing to refute those arguments.

T may have not been done freely, but if one assumes that it is done freely and one believes one could have done something else, then one believes that what one has done was done freely.

The difference is the same as the difference between reality and illusion. In your view choice is an illusion. That might actually be a coherent position but only if you accept God's justice, righteousness and love as illusionary as well. I wouldn't think that to be a very desirable position for a Christian to take.

You have a point here. It is the same point that is often used to refute Calvinism and predestination. The actual matter is, are we free if one can look beyond the horizon, see that it may be not what seems real. Some might say, if one 'thinks outside the box' one sees that freedom is not complete. Now, what you have added about the nature of God is your opinion of what is Divine justice. I know you are familiar with the settled view, you know that many Christian theologians believe in predestination and many more hold to some version of the 'settled view. Consider what I am saying is something a little different and perhaps it is a better argument to make to one who holds the settled view.

The issue of consciousness is entirely irrelevant to the issue because a man cannot be rightly punished for an action if he could not have acted otherwise.

It it further irrelevant because actions are not just physical. We are held responsible and will give an account to God for our every thought, word and deed. What we believe and think are actions of the mind and so the syllogism applies just as effectively to what we believe as it does to what we physically do, as was my point in my first response to you. Make T="Jones believes there is no one forcing him to mow his lawn." Now the syllogism isn't about the actual mowing of the lawn but about Jones' belief, and it proves that what he believes was not believed freely. In short, rather than solving the problem, all you've done is move the problem back a step.

For the propose of this debate, I agree with you here. We are judged by our thoughts as well as actions. Yes, one can assert that Jones not think freely before he acted, that Jones is limited by fate. The point here is you are raising good questions. I would rather get to the real matter and debate the issue of free will, rather than debating the open vs. settled view.

I am sorry that I am not the clear thinker I was ten years ago. I was once able to argue my position much better than I can today. However, as the prosecutor said to the witness making this same claim, “the tribunal cannot know how you once were, they have only your word.”

My attempt here is to have a bit of discourse on this idea that if God has foreknowledge, then does His foreknowledge shrinks our freedom. I agree it does.
Kat

themuzicman

For the wages of sin is death. Not committing sins.
Romans 5:12-14 KJV.

I love it when someone's proof text refutes them:

Roman 5:14 ...and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

That would mean "SINING" not "SINFUL NATURE." See Rom 3:23

Muz

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What's the deal with "needing a soda"?
Have you ever heard the joke about the old ladies talking? They talked about their children's and grandchildren's accomplishments, except for one lady that only responded to all the stories with one word: "fantastic". Finally, the other ladies asked why she didn't join in but kept saying the same word and she replied, "at charm school they taught me to say 'fantastic' instead of 'bull...'"

We say "soda" because it's fellowship week.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"I will" is not the same as "I must".

I will - implies choice
I must - no choice

Common sense tells me that if I know you are going to eat spaghetti tomorrow night, I didn't make you eat it. I didn't influence you to eat it. A mysterious force didn't force you to eat it. You chose to eat it.

A questionable syllogism with questionable logic doesn't prove to me that I should throw common sense out the window.

I could probably throw together a little geometric proof that seems logical
that shows that a right angle is 120 degrees instead of 90. Would you buy it and arrange your entire understanding of the Bible around it?
Simply looking at the context, these are all identical:
3. Therefore, necessarily x will happen.
3. Therefore, x will happen.
3. Therefore, necessarily x must happen.
3. Therefore, x must happen.

Just look at the possibility of adding the concept of "might not happen" to any of these statements... it simply cannot be done and still make sense.

SaulToPaul 2

I love it when someone's proof text refutes them:

Roman 5:14 ...and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

That would mean "SINING" not "SINFUL NATURE." See Rom 3:23

Muz

The root problem is "why have all sinned"? Theoretically, a man could live his entire life and never commit an act that the Bible defines as sin, yet still die.

themuzicman

The root problem is "why have all sinned"? Theoretically, a man could live his entire life and never commit an act that the Bible defines as sin, yet still die.

Well, if you want to stand against Paul on that, you go for it, but I'm going to believe Romans 3:23.

Muz

themuzicman

I believe Romans 3:23 KJV. Also, I am willing to believe Romans 5:13-14 KJV.
In your flesh dwells no good thing...I'll stand with Paul on that also.

That's fine. But my original point stands (even as yours falls): We are condemned for sinning, not for having a sinful nature. Romans 5:13-14 says nothing about being condemned, but only discusses how sin came into the world and how it impacts us.

Muz

SaulToPaul 2

That's fine. But my original point stands (even as yours falls): We are condemned for sinning, not for having a sinful nature. Romans 5:13-14 says nothing about being condemned, but only discusses how sin came into the world and how it impacts us.

Muz

Sins are not imputed without the law, nevertheless death reigned. Why?
Sin.

SaulToPaul 2

Simply looking at the context, these are all identical:
3. Therefore, necessarily x will happen.
3. Therefore, x will happen.
3. Therefore, necessarily x must happen.
3. Therefore, x must happen.

Just look at the possibility of adding the concept of "might not happen" to any of these statements... it simply cannot be done and still make sense.

Sorry, I just don't see how I will vs. I must can be the same.

themuzicman

Sins are not imputed without the law, nevertheless death reigned. Why?
Sin.

Paul already addressed this in chapter two: Even those who do not have the law, when the do the works of the law, demonstrating knowledge of the law, these become a law unto themselves (Rom 2:14-16), such that none are without excuse. Paul concludes this (and other extensive discussion) by saying "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

Paul was and is speaking hypothetically, that if there is no law, then there is no sin, because there is no right and wrong. But where there is law, there is sin, even if we don't sin in the same manner as Adam, we embrace Adam's sin when we do violate the law.

And, as I've already shown, Paul is speaking about "SINNING" in verse 14, which is a part of the existence of the concept of "sin" in this world.

Muz

themuzicman

This is why you don't believe that flesh & blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. But, you are certainly free to not believe if you want.

I do believe that, as the context dictates its meaning. But that comes as a result of reading the author and book and context in which your verse exists, rather than pulling it out of its context, and then swallowing it whole.

Do you believe Matt 27:5 and Luke 3:11 yet?

Muz

SaulToPaul 2

I do believe that, as the context dictates its meaning. But that comes as a result of reading the author and book and context in which your verse exists, rather than pulling it out of its context, and then swallowing it whole.

Muz

The context of 1 Cor 15 is resurrection and incorruptible bodies!
Flesh and blood is flesh and blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.