ARCHIVE: Need some expert eyes here

fool

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Happens all the time. Often with the same people making the same mistakes. :)
It's actually called a strawman.
From the latin "scarecrowicus"
Which means "easy to knock down cause it's not realy the theory"

(I could be wrong about some of that latin stuff)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Real Sorceror said:
Is the the jar open or closed? And more importantly, is the peanut butter ever exposed to other elements?
If you answer yes to the second question, then yes, there is a chance, however miniscule, that life could form. However, if and when that occurs, the butter and jar would no longer be recognizable as peanut butter, as they would have biodegraded.
If, however, the peanut butter is kept in a sterile, controlled environment, then I say 'no'.
You can take all the favored conditions you want!

You can setup the peanut butter experiment in any way you wish, I will afford you unlimited resources and options.

After all.... scientists have been trying to do this very thing for dozens of years.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Then why are you doing that now? :idunno:
How so?
I haven't made an argument so I'm mystified how I could have made an argument from ignorance.

Johnny

How embarrassing. Does anyone know who the authors are, who produced the video, or who is featured in the first video? I'm in the mood to write a really nasty email.

What passes for argument in the creationist world is an absolute embarrassment.

Edit: Both Knight and the website mentioned his name.

Real Sorceror

Knight said:
You can take all the favored conditions you want!

You can setup the peanut butter experiment in any way you wish, I will afford you unlimited resources and options.

After all.... scientists have been trying to do this very thing for dozens of years.
Does it matter that none of us will still be alive by the time this occurs? In fact, the human species as we know it may no longer exist by the time the trial run is over.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Real Sorceror said:
Does it matter that none of us will still be alive by the time this occurs? In fact, the human species as we know it may no longer exist by the time the trial run is over.
How about you get to have your experiment simultaneously running in 1,000,000 different laboratories all over the world and in each laboratory there are 10,000,00 versions of the experiment taking place. Would that be enough for you?

How confident are that you will get new life in your peanut butter?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
How embarrassing. Does anyone know who the authors are, who produced the video, or who is featured in the first video? I'm in the mood to write a really nasty email.
Oh no.... you are not serious are you??? A nasty email??? Whatever will they do??? :shocked:

Johnny

Knight said:
Oh no.... you are not serious are you??? A nasty email??? Whatever will they do???
Yes, I'm entirely serious. And yes, I am aware that it will not change a thing about how these people think or whether or not they continue to deceive Christians with their nonsensical videos. I'm aware that it will likely go right into the trash bin with the rest of the criticisms they receive. Nonetheless, I will write them because I can. Because I am not satisfied with simply criticizing them anonymously on some forum. Because I have a voice and I will use it whether or not they chose to listen.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
Yes, I'm entirely serious. And yes, I am aware that it will not change a thing about how these people think or whether or not they continue to deceive Christians with their nonsensical videos. I'm aware that it will likely go right into the trash bin with the rest of the criticisms they receive. Nonetheless, I will write them because I can. Because I am not satisfied with simply criticizing them anonymously on some forum. Because I have a voice and I will use it whether or not they chose to listen.
Your posts are anonymous? :doh:

Johnny

Knight said:
Your posts are anonymous?
Yes. To the average poster, and even to you. You have no idea who I am, nor could you locate me or contact me outside of this forum excepting the information I have provided you (registration email address). Forums are, for the most part, anonymous.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
Yes, I'm entirely serious. And yes, I am aware that it will not change a thing about how these people think or whether or not they continue to deceive Christians with their nonsensical videos.
Thank God for you Johnny.... thank God for you.

You are willing to save those poor unsuspecting Christians from nonsensical videos!! Only the most brave and strong are up to such a task. Thank God for you Johnny.

If any of the rest of you can donate time or donate financially, Johnny could really use your help! Just contact the HSCFNV Foundation (Help Save Christian From Nonsensical Videos Foundation).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
Yes. To the average poster, and even to you. You have no idea who I am, nor could you locate me or contact me outside of this forum excepting the information I have provided you (registration email address). Forums are, for the most part, anonymous.
I see.... :think: and your letter to them will be somehow dramatically different from that? Are you going to send them your drivers license or possibly a vile of your blood?

Johnny, with all due respect.... you are an idiot.

Johnny

Knight said:
You are willing to save those poor unsuspecting Christians from nonsensical videos!!
Do you think that I believe I'm saving them from these videos? Why would you think that after I've already made it clear it is entirely unlikely they will even read my response? Why would you say that after I've already made it clear my intent is not even to change anyone's mind?

Johnny

Knight said:
I see.... and your letter to them will be somehow dramatically different from that? Are you going to send them your drivers license or possibly a vile of your blood?

Johnny, with all due respect.... you are an idiot.
They will have my full name and a contact email address. My name is my identity -- which makes me no longer anonymous.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
If any of the rest of you can donate time or donate financially, Johnny could really use your help! Just contact the HSCFNV Foundation (Help Save Christian From Nonsensical Videos Foundation).
I'll donate to that.

ThePhy

Harv, I know you had a point in starting this thread. But it is now clear that there are actually people (and administrators) on this board who view those videos as exemplifying good science. I’ll bet if you found some videos even more silly, they would embrace them equally as good science.

I really feel for their kids, the ones they choose to home-school. They actually present the kind of mind-numbing idiocy in those videos as good science to their kids.

Johnny

ThePhy said:
I really feel for their kids, the ones they choose to home-school. They actually present the kind of mind-numbing idiocy in those videos as good science to their kids.
I was one of those kids -- homeschooled for three years, then a private Christian fundamentalist high school for four. Graduated a hardcore creationist and went off to get a degree in Biology so I could show all those evil evolutionists and see the absurdity of their lies and deceit.

By the time I finished general bio 1&2, I had come to the realization that I had essentially been defrauded and lied to most of my life.

SUTG

ThePhy said:
Harv, I know you had a point in starting this thread. But it is now clear that there are actually people (and administrators) on this board who view those videos as exemplifying good science. I’ll bet if you found some videos even more silly, they would embrace them equally as good science.

There is a thread on the same video over at infidels.org.

One of the posters said this would be an excellent experiment if the early Earth had been made of peanut butter. :rotfl:

SUTG

Johnny said:
I was one of those kids -- homeschooled for three years, then a private Christian fundamentalist high school for four. Graduated, went off to get a degree in Biology so I could show all those evil evolutionists.

Then I realized I had basically been defrauded and lied to most of my life.

Wow. Really?

Did you really decide to persue Biology to disprove evolution?