ARCHIVE: Need some expert eyes here

Vision in Verse

GuySmiley said:
Do you have evidence for not believing in God?
Check this out. There is no evidence for or against God. There is evidence for abiogenesis (the existence of protobionts) and a functional theory compatable with known laws of physics. There is no evidence against abiogenesis.

SUTG

GuySmiley said:
Fool said something like this earlier, and I dont see it. Give me an example.

Example:

Think of Late night host David Letterman. Either it is the case that he is wearing a white shirt right now, or it is not the case.

I would not say that I believe he is wearing a white shirt. I have no reason to believe this. In other words, I don't believe he is wearing a white shirt.

But, similarly, I would not say that I believe he is not wearing a white shirt right now! I have no reason to believe this, either!

So, I don't believe in any of these propositions:

-David Letterman is wearing a white shirt right now.
-David Letterman is not wearing a white shirt right now.
-David Letterman is speaking right now.
-David Letterman is not speaking right now.

If I were to claim that any of the preceding propositions were true, you would be correct in asking me how in the world I know what David letterman is doing right now!

GuySmiley

Vision in Verse said:
Check this out. There is no evidence for or against God.
There is evidence for the existence of God. You reject it, but its there. For instance my testamony that there is a God and I know Him is evidence. You may think I'm loony, but its there.

There is evidence for abiogenesis (the existence of protobionts) and a functional theory compatable with known laws of physics. There is no evidence against abiogenesis.
I dont know what a protobiont is, but I thought earlier Knight found that they are a theory only, they don't actually exist. Is that right? Earlier you called them the 'precusors of life.' Even that name is begging the question.

I think any experiment where someone tried to create life in a lab is evidence against abiogenesis. Its not conclusive, but its evidence.

I don't believe abiogenesis is possible, because of my worldview. And the failure of science to prove it so far is evidence in my favor.

I think your view of there being no God is no different (except for being wrong, thats a big difference). We can come to conclusions based on lack of evidence.

GuySmiley

SUTG said:
Example:

Think of Late night host David Letterman. Either it is the case that he is wearing a white shirt right now, or it is not the case.

I would not say that I believe he is wearing a white shirt. I have no reason to believe this. In other words, I don't believe he is wearing a white shirt.

But, similarly, I would not say that I believe he is not wearing a white shirt right now! I have no reason to believe this, either!

So, I don't believe in any of these propositions:

-David Letterman is wearing a white shirt right now.
-David Letterman is not wearing a white shirt right now.
-David Letterman is speaking right now.
-David Letterman is not speaking right now.

If I were to claim that any of the preceding propositions were true, you would be correct in asking me how in the world I know what David letterman is doing right now!
Ok, makes sense now thanks.

You don't believe there is a God.

You also don't believe there is not a God.

fool

Hall of Fame
let me see if I can reset this thread, if I misrepresent anyones position feel free to howl like a banshee.

I was watching the National Geographic channel last night, Naked Science was what they called the show (which is a bit of a fraud cause there weren't any naked people, but I digress). They started with the big bang and brought it all the way down to you and me.
AKA "goo to you", or rather "bang, stars, planets, soup, evolution, cable television". I paid particular attention when they got the Earth cooled down and the primordial seas condensed to see how they would treat abiogenisis.

In their defence they were a bit nebulous about how it happened. They said "there are several theories" about how the first organisms were formed and then they continued on from there. I would say this is wrong as there aren't any theroies, mearly some hypothosyseses.

I can understand why this would make the Creationists angry, as someone who was simply watching might not catch the subtle nuances and come away from the show with "primordial soup" on the brain.

Now, when they got to that part should they have a crawl go across the sceen that says;
"WARNING this show will now engage in rampant speculation with no data to show that what it says is even possible"

Proabably not. That would be annoying just as it is in this post.
But, they could have spent a little more time going over what work has been done and stressing the fact that there is no model of how it happened.

I think the evolutionists on this board would be a little embaressed for someone if they came on here and said "but they have made life! Miller-Ouray! life in a bottle from some soup and a spark!" We would have to patiently explain that though some large molecules were formed that they didn't manage to make a self-replicating macrowhatever that crawled out of the flask and joined them for lunch.

You must admit that there are prolly some people out there that don't know this and think goo to you is a demonstrated fact.

Now, on to the Creationists. I don't know if this thread has caused any of you to read the Wiki articles on abiogenisis or the origins of life article or read any of the material on the various directions that the reaserch has gone. If you did you'd know that nobody is working on peanut buttter, and for good reasons which I would probably butcher if I tried to explain them (ask Harvey when he gets back or Johnny if he hasen't lost interest).
Sans any input from them I'll put it this way, what you need is bricks, peanut butter is ground up chunks of an existing building. There, I hope nobody is any dumber for having read that.

The fallacy that the video commited is not only one of not understanding the field but one of simple logic, the video states that if life can come from matter that it will come from matter. This is the same as saying that if fool can make an intelligent post that he will make an intelligent post. And we all know that this is simply not true.

I think what appalled Harvey and the Phy was the idea that someone might walk into a college class having graduated from their living room with this idea in their head that the origins of life somehow involved peanut butter. I shun to think of the ridicule such a student would have heaped on him by his classmates, just as a group of homeschoolers would evicerate a public school kid that said "it's a scientific fact that life came from a warm little puddle".

SUTG

GuySmiley said:
We can come to conclusions based on lack of evidence.

In certain cases, yes. Which is one of the reasons I don't believe in the existence of the historical JC. (topic for another thread)

I don't think the "lack of evidence" applies to abiogenesis though.

And it definitely doesn't apply to the theory of evolution.

GuySmiley

SUTG said:
In certain cases, yes. Which is one of the reasons I don't believe in the existence of the historical JC. (topic for another thread)

I don't think the "lack of evidence" applies to abiogenesis though.

And it definitely doesn't apply to the theory of evolution.
I got to thinking after I posted that. What I was basically saying is that lack of evidence can be evidence, but thats really strange. But I don't think I'll retract it yet.

SUTG

GuySmiley said:
I got to thinking after I posted that. What I was basically saying is that lack of evidence can be evidence, but thats really strange. But I don't think I'll retract it yet.

LOL, I see your point.

Maybe it can be phrased "lack of evidence for a claim can be evidence against that claim" or something like that.

But i think it needs to include a disclaimer of sorts since lack of evidence for a claim isn't always evidence against a claim. It depends on how extraordinary the claim is.

Vision in Verse

GuySmiley said:
There is evidence for the existence of God. You reject it, but its there. For instance my testamony that there is a God and I know Him is evidence. You may think I'm loony, but its there.
Let me rephrase, there is no objective evidence for God.
GuySmiley said:
I dont know what a protobiont is, but I thought earlier Knight found that they are a theory only, they don't actually exist. Is that right? Earlier you called them the 'precusors of life.' Even that name is begging the question.
They do exist, and they do form by self-assembly. The controversy is whether or not they are the precursors of primordial cells. There is no objective reason they cannot be.
GuySmiley said:
I think any experiment where someone tried to create life in a lab is evidence against abiogenesis. Its not conclusive, but its evidence.
Okay. Although, we could attribute the failure to the experiments as well.
GuySmiley said:
I don't believe abiogenesis is possible, because of my worldview. And the failure of science to prove it so far is evidence in my favor.
It's good to admit that.
GuySmiley said:
I think your view of there being no God is no different (except for being wrong, thats a big difference). We can come to conclusions based on lack of evidence.
But the thing is that protobionts do exist, and they do have the materials that life needs.

It seems like your approach to this problem is, "it can't be true if there isn't a theory to explain it."

I already assume that life came from non-life because of the way I've learned about the history of the universe, all I need is a more comprehensive way of explaining it.

Vision in Verse

fool said:
The fallacy that the video commited is not only one of not understanding the field but one of simple logic, the video states that if life can come from matter that it will come from matter. This is the same as saying that if fool can make an intelligent post that he will make an intelligent post. And we all know that this is simply not true.
I think the video meant something like, if it can, and it is, then it did. Like, if I come to a fallen tree and observe it. I know trees can fall, and I see a fallen tree, it would be logical to assume the tree fell. We see life, and we know life couldn't have existed on earth before the earth was formed. If we have a theory to explain how life could have been assembled into replicating cells, then it's not illogical for us to assume it to be true.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
GuySmiley said:
A protobiont can't even be called a theory really. A protobiont is nothing more than a WAG to fill a known gap in knowledge.

Vision in Verse

Knight said:
True, and protobiont's are controversial even among evolutionists.
Agreed. However, my argument has changed to: there are theories in which life can arise naturally. Life exists, and I believe there was a time where life could not exist, therefore, I am inclined to believe a theory which can explain how life came to exist in its present form.