ARCHIVE: Bob Enyart has already lost the debate ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Power of the paradigm ...

Power of the paradigm ...

Hi Aussie,
You write:
Suffice to say it is a shock to me that I am considered a liar.. when I pride myself on my honesty (even sometimes to my own detriment).
I'm curious, Steve. Do you have any alter egos on this forum?

Aussie writes:
And before you saw the light were you “lying” about your belief ?
I was deliberately pushing God away. I knew He existed, but I deluded myself into asserting that He did not. Even when I would debate Christians, deep down I knew I was fooling myself and (successfully at times) fooling others. Why would I do that? Because I didn't want God to mess with my life. I enjoyed the lifestyle I was living and I didn't want Him interfering with that. In retrospect, I now understand what Jesus was saying when He said, "And this is the condemnation: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. For everyone that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (Jn 3:19,20).

Aussie writes:
This is an important question because at worst I should be to you is “mistaken”… Lying is a deliberate thing. I can’t honestly think YOU think that I am stupid enough to deliberately deny God if I knew he existed .. what would be the point ?
The point would be to distance yourself from the Light that would expose your sinful thinking and actions. When I say "sinful thinking and actions" I do not single you or anyone out. We all, myself included, have sinful thoughts and do sinful things. The difference is that the Christian moves toward the Light, embraces the reproof, recognizes the forgiveness he has in Christ, and learns from his error, making every effort to eschew such thoughts and actions in the future.

Jim wrote: ... but I will again respond that the Bible calls you self-deluded, that your reasoning has been denigrated and that your thinking faculties taken captive by your deliberate and willful false beliefs.

Aussie writes:
That is the same as me saying that the “Book of Steve” says that theist are deliberately lying, then using that as evidence for your lying !
I didn't use it as evidence, Steve.

Aussie writes:
I would like you to explain why I should want to or need to deny God if I knew he existed.
Because of His judgment. Romans 1:32 says that such people know the judgment of God and that such behavior is worthy of death.

Aussie writes:
Surely with potential heaven as a reward and hell as a punishment for accepting what I know as the truth I would be demented to do otherwise ?
The cost is too great for those who love their deeds more than Truth. We see this all the time. My father is dying of emphysema. We watched his mother die the same way. It was awful. In her death, my dad was able to see his own end. He knows his smoking is killing him. When he inhales air, the elasticity of his lungs is well nigh gone. So he can't exhale without the help of inhaler medication and regular nebulizer treatments every couple of hours. But he won't stop smoking. My dad is not unintelligent, but surely, with a prolonged life as a reward and an early miserable death as punishment, he would be demented not to stop smoking, right? The world is full of such people.

Aussie writes:
Not surprised ..but ..well disappointed. If the run of the mill fundamentalist bonehead called me a liar based on mythology I would not give a hoot.. for some reason .. (perhaps that fact that you are civil and clever) .. you calling me a liar is a bit more disappointing. I think you should know better !
I truly appreciate your kind words. No sarcasm there. And I understand why you are disappointed. It's not the first time these sentiments have been expressed by an atheist. The atheists I've debated who have expressed this "disappointment," strangely enough, have become my friends. For what it's worth, I don't accuse you or any atheist of being stupid or mentally challenged in any way -- just as I would not call my father stupid or mentally challenged for continuing to smoke. The ability of the human mind to delude itself and to protect, at all costs, its cherished autonomy is indomitable. I understand the power of the paradigm and the insurmountable rule of one's governing presuppositions. I continue to fight against these tendencies myself, even after nearly 20 years of Bible study, and I sympathize with those who have neither the impetus nor the wherewithal to confront them.

Jim

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Mistaken perhaps?

Mistaken perhaps?

Aussie, have a look at Coffeeman's most recent post to me. In light of it, I'm wondering if you would elaborate on this sentence of yours: "Coffee.. I actually find you a reasonable type."

Perhaps you have him confused with someone who doesn't make embarrassing self-eviscerating arguments and confuse the proper use of a dictionary with that of a thesaurus?

Jim

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Is he serious?

Is he serious?

Hi Coffeeman,

You write:
Methodology = STYLE
In what dictionary did you find that?

Coffeeman writes:
Want to have some fun Jim? Look up METHOD or METHODOLOGY on your thesaurus. What's that? Oh yeah, STYLE comes up ...I know, you just can't get a good thesaurus now days that will give you what you want.
Your first problem is making improper use of a thesaurus. Your second problem is not making proper use of a dictionary.

Dictionary. n. A reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology.

Thesaurus. n. A book of synonyms, often including related and contrasting words and antonyms. [Emphasis added]

Note that it says "including related words." That doesn't mean all the words listed s.v. "method" are synonymous to the entry. Under the Thesaurus entry for "method" are also the words "ritual" and "shortcut" and "wrinkle" and "adjustment." No rational person would equate these terms. Coffeeman, this appears to be a sign of utter desperation.

Coffeeman writes:
Convinced I've got a clue yet Jim?
Of course not. What will convince me that you have a clue is if you can summarize my argument. If you can articulate a cogent understanding of my complaint against evidentialism, I will be delighted and we would then be able to have a fruitful discussion. Until then, you will probably just continue picking nits over word meanings, rather than asking questions to find out what I intend by the words I use. Socrates always demanded that his students define their terms. He could have merely assumed that his own definition was the same as theirs, but when discussing matters of an ultimate nature, as we are here, it is better not to assume that a person's definitions are the same as yours, or even the same as a dictionary's for that matter.

Ya know, I read ahead a little bit. It's one thing to embarrass oneself. It's quite another to embarrass oneself and then to be proud of it (!). What follows is such an embarrassment to Coffeeman that it almost doesn't require a response. Almost.

Jim wrote: What is interesting is that it would appear that you are too proud to admit your error. Will you admit that you misrepresented the case by claiming that I did not offer even a hint of reference to scripture? Your integrity is on the line here, Coffeeman. And this is only your second post (!).

Coffeeman wrote: Why is it when you addressed Flipper's statements you never mentioned one verse of scripture? Not one part of a verse or even a hint of one?

Here goes. Coffeeman writes:
I'd love to admit my error Jim but, you keep butchering my quotes. If you READ carefully (it's okay to use your HOOKED ON PHONICS primer if you like) ...
Yet another sign of Coffeeman's desperation. When you can't make a cogent argument, condescend to your opponent. This comes from a person who doesn't seem to know the practical difference between a dictionary and a thesaurus (my 9-year-old knows better).

Coffeeman writes:
... you'll see I said, " you never mentioned one verse of scripture...not one verse or even a hint of one."
Did you leave out the words "... not one part of a verse ..." deliberately? Did you think I wouldn't catch that?

Coffeeman writes:
Did you not READ my statement? ...especially the part about verse or even a hint of one. Hint of a verse Jim....hint of a verse!
Are you saying that "the beginning" isn't a quote (more than a hint) of Gen 1:1? Are you saying that "the Triune Godhead created" and "His governing upon His creation" are not hints of Psalm 19:1,2, Romans 1:20, Eph 1:11 and Col 1:16,17 and myriad other verses that discuss this subject? If not, then you're reading a different Bible than I am.

Coffeeman writes:
Not hint of an allusion to a Biblical principle or a hint of a word that is found in the Bible
Are you serious? Do you really want to go here? Here is where your desperation is dragged out into the light. Rather than deal with the substance of this discussion and prove to everyone that you have a clue, it seems you would rather spend your time defending your pride and somehow, by sheer desperation, try to demonstrate that I didn't use verses from the Bible in my response to Flipper. Is this rational?

Jim wrote to Flipper: "It's been that way since the beginning. The triune Godhead created the universe and the universal invariant laws of logic, science and math all reflect the rationality of God and the uniformity of the universe reflects His governing upon His creation."

Coffeeman writes:
Here's the versions I checked: New International Version, New American Standard Bible, The Message Amplified Bible, New Living Translation, King James Version, English Standard Version, Contemporary English Version, New King James Version, 21st Century King James Version, American Standard Version, Worldwide English (New Testament), Young's Literal Translation, Darby Translation, Wycliffe New Testament, New International Version - UK

You DIDN'T use scripture! 16 translations checked and not one verse used. Now, are not going to admit you didn't really use scripture in that volley with FLIPPER? Not even a hint of a verse?
You asked for this, Coffeeman. I hope you're sitting down.

I originally wrote to Flipper: Logic, Science, morality, etc. As I've shown, the anti-theistic worldview must actually borrow from the Christian worldview.

To which Flipper asked: When did this become the exclusive provision of christianity?

Jim replied: It's been that way since the beginning. The concept is wholly biblical, and to claim that I didn't use scripture is patently ludicrous. Note the fact, by opposing, rather than defending, the Scripturality of my statement, Coffeeman takes the side of the atheist, and does exactly what the scriptures warn against: He becomes like the fool by arguing according to the fool's folly. Here are the references: Pr 16:4 Mr 13:19 Joh 1:1-3 Heb 1:10 1Jo 1:1 Ex 20:11 31:18 1Ch 16:26 Ne 9:6 Job 26:13 38:4 Ps 8:3 33:6,9 89:11,12 96:5 102:25 Ps 104:24,30 115:15 121:2 124:8 134:3 136:5 146:6 148:4,5 Pr 3:19 8:22-30 Ec 12:1 Isa 37:16 40:26,28 42:5 44:24 45:18 51:13,16 65:17 Jer 10:12 32:17 51:15 Zec 12:1 Mt 11:25 Ac 4:24 14:15 17:24 Ro 1:19, 20 11:36 1Co 8:6 Eph 3:9 Col 1:16,17 Heb 1:2 3:4 11:3 2Pe 3:5 Re 3:14 4:11 10:6 14:7 21:6 22:13

My reply to Flipper cont'd: The triune Godhead created the universe ...

Again, I am slackjawed at the audacity of Coffeeman to side with the atheist and to claim that the triune Godhead is not found in the scripture. Here are the scriptural proofs and references: Mt 3:16,17 28:19 Ro 8:9 1Co 12:3-6 2Co 13:14 Eph 4:4-6 1Pe 1:2 Jude 1:20,21 Re 1:4,5 [plus the following taken together]: Ex 20:2 Joh 20:28 Ac 5:3,4 [and these taken together]Ro 16:26 Re 22:13 Heb 9:14. Also, consider these shared trinitarian attributes and their references: Holy Re 4:8 15:4 Ac 3:14 1Jo 2:20; True: Joh 7:28 Re 3:7 Omnipresent: Jer 23:24 Eph 1:23 Ps 139:7; Omnipotent: Ge 17:1 Re 1:8 Ro 15:19 Jer 32:17 Heb 1:3 Lu 1:35; Omniscient Ac 15:18 Joh 21:17 1Co 2:10,11; Creator: Ge 1:1 Col 1:16 Job 33:4 Ps 148:5 Joh 1:3 Job 26:13; Sanctifier: Jude 1:1 Heb 2:11 1Pe 1:2 Imminence: Heb 13:21 Col 1:29 1Co 12:11; Source of eternal life: Ro 6:23 Joh 10:28 Ga 6:8; Divine teacher Isa 54:13 Lu 21:15 Joh 14:26 Isa 48:17 Ga 1:12 1Jo 2:20; Raised Christ from the dead: 1Co 6:14 Joh 2:19 1Pe 3:18; Source of scripture: Heb 1:1 2Co 13:3 Mr 13:11; providing ministers the church Jer 3:15 Eph 4:11 Ac 20:28 Jer 26:5 Mt 10:5 Ac 13:2; securing salvation: 2Th 2:13,14 Tit 3:4-6 1Pe 1:2.

Jim's response to Flipper cont'd: ... and the universal invariant laws of logic, science and math all reflect the rationality of God and the uniformity of the universe reflects His governing upon His creation."

Here are the references: Col 1:15-17 Pr 8:22,23 Isa 43:11-13 44:6 Mic 5:2 Joh 1:1-3 8:58 17:5 1Co 8:6 Heb 13:8 Re 1:8,11,17 2:8 1Sa 2:8 Ps 75:3 Joh 5:17,18 Ac 17:28 Heb 1:3

Remember when you wrote this, Coffeeman?:
Oh yeah...one more thing: The next verse after the one you soooo love to quote about the fools....well, here it is....guess you just forgot it was in there...strange how we see what we want to see.
I repeat my earlier comments: You say you read these pages. Did you read the very first post, or did you "just forget what was in there? ...strange how we see what we want to see." Here's an excerpt of what you should have seen in my very first post:

Prov. 26:4,5 may appear to comprise two contradictory statements, but they actually describe a two-fold tack for answering the fool. Answering the fool "not according to his folly" is the positive presentation of the truth. We ought to properly presuppose the biblical worldview (after all, the so-called atheist is actually a defiant believer -- not in the "saved" sense of the word -- but in the rational sense of it) and demonstrate to the gainsayer its internal coherence. Answering the fool "according to his folly" is the negative critique of the gainsayer's position. That is, we ought to apply the gainsayer's presuppositions to his own arguments in order to demonstrate that the fool's worldview leads to incoherence and ultimately, on his worldview, the destruction of all knowledge.

Jim wrote: Please, call me Reverend Jim.

Coffeeman writes:
Don't hold your breath...
It was a joke, Coffeeman. I happen to loathe the term "reverend."

Jim

Last edited:

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Idolatry and atheism -- both delusions ...

Re: Idolatry and atheism -- both delusions ...

Originally posted by Hilston

There's no such thing. Those who tell you they don't believe in God actually do know He exists and that they are accountable to Him.

False gods don't really exist, neither do true atheists. And people delude themselves into believing in false gods, just as anti-theists delude themselves into believing they are actually atheists. Both are delusions that we ought not to affirm in our debates with them.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I do take issue with your contention with the claim that "atheists don't exist".

The average modern person believes in far less of the supernatural than our forbearers. The atheist is simply free now to express the full extension of that non belief.

Indeed, the statements you make above betray this. Just as you say that "false gods do not exist," the atheist will say that "all gods are false gods". Just as you do not clutter up the universe with Odin and Osiris, atheists do not clutter up the universe with Yahweh.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Clutter ...

Clutter ...

Hi John,

You write:
... I do take issue with your contention with the claim that "atheists don't exist".
It's not merely my contention. It's what the Bible says, and as someone who believes in its verity, I believe that contention. So your problem is ultimately with God Himself, not with me.

John writes:
The average modern person believes in far less of the supernatural than our forbearers.
Please define "supernatural."

John writes:
Indeed, the statements you make above betray this.
Which ones?

John writes:
Just as you say that "false gods do not exist," the atheist will say that "all gods are false gods". Just as you do not clutter up the universe with Odin and Osiris, atheists do not clutter up the universe with Yahweh.
Whatever a person believes doesn't really "clutter" anything in actuality. The "one less god than you" argument is the most ill-conceived I've ever heard. This is a question about what is true, not about who clutters up the universe with whatever gods they worship.

Jim

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Clutter ...

Re: Clutter ...

Hello Jim,

Originally posted by Hilston

---Jim wrote:
It's not merely my contention. It's what the Bible says, and as someone who believes in its verity, I believe that contention. So your problem is ultimately with God Himself, not with me.

The atheist views the Bible as being a collection of mytho-historical literature, and other fragments of the literature of some vanished cultures. From the perspective of the atheist the Bible has no more relevance to our understanding of the universe than any other "sacred" text, such as the Vedas, the Bhaghavad Gita, the Koran, the Popul Vuh, and so forth.

-----Jim asks:
Please define "supernatural."

The supernatural as I meant it in my message was the belief in objects and forces beyond those that can be studied and be made sense of by humans, and the ability of humans to interact with such.

Three centuries ago people were executing unfortuate women for witchcraft. Two centuries ago, amulets to ward off evil spirits were commonly worn. Today we don't have so much of that sort of thing in our general culture.

Like the gods of old, this stuff has been delegated to movies and comic books.

------Jim wrote:
Whatever a person believes doesn't really "clutter" anything in actuality. The "one less god than you" argument is the most ill-conceived I've ever heard. This is a question about what is true, not about who clutters up the universe with whatever gods they worship.

Jim

If one approaches the problem of understanding the universe, and proposes _as a mechanism_ for things that we don't understand, one or more powerful entities of unspecified abilities, then yes, "clutter" is definitely the correct word.

Ok. So you have created a catchall mechanism. Whatever it is "Goddidit". If it does fit the bill of God then, it has to be Man, or the Fall, or the Devil. Fine.

But what have you learned that is useful? How does this type of belief system put food on the table, or explain what we see around us? The answer that history has show is: not much. This is why we have science and technology, neither of which depend on, or are limited by religion. Religion, gods, whathave you become mere clutter.

The atheist has merely dispensed with more of the clutter than the religionist.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Darwinian amulets ...

Darwinian amulets ...

Hi John,

John writes:
The atheist views the Bible as being a collection of mytho-historical literature, and other fragments of the literature of some vanished cultures. From the perspective of the atheist the Bible has no more relevance to our understanding of the universe than any other "sacred" text, such as the Vedas, the Bhaghavad Gita, the Koran, the Popul Vuh, and so forth.
Of course. But this thread is about why Bob Enyart lost the debate from his very first post. The reasoning I offer to those who defend Mr. Enyart is that he has violated biblical principles of argumentation. To those who defend Mr. Enyart, what the Bible says is (or at least ought to be) much more relevant than vedic literature, the B-G, etc. Whether or not you acknowledge the veracity of the Judeo-Christian Bible, that the concept of atheistic self-deception is not a novelty that originates with me.

Jim asked: Please define "supernatural."

John writes:
The supernatural as I meant it in my message was the belief in objects and forces beyond those that can be studied and be made sense of by humans, and the ability of humans to interact with such.
OK, just so I understand, I've replaced the word "supernatural" with your definition in your original sentence:

"The average modern person believes in far less of the belief in objects and forces beyond those that can be studied and be made sense of by humans, and the ability of humans to interact with such than our forbears."

Would you say that still accurately reflects what you intended? I just want to be careful that I understand you correctly.

John writes:
Three centuries ago people were executing unfortuate women for witchcraft. Two centuries ago, amulets to ward off evil spirits were commonly worn. Today we don't have so much of that sort of thing in our general culture.
You don't know many catholics, do you? Kidding aside, the religion of today is naturalism. It is the "amulet" worn on the sleeves of Darwinists (and sometimes in the form of bumpers stickers and Darwinian fish emblems) to ward off the "evil spirit" of Christian Theism. It is no different that three centuries ago; it is merely a different manifestation of a false religion.

John writes:
If one approaches the problem of understanding the universe, and proposes _as a mechanism_ for things that we don't understand, one or more powerful entities of unspecified abilities, then yes, "clutter" is definitely the correct word.
I'm curious, is that what you think this is all about? Do Christians believe in God because they need explanations for things they do not understand?

John writes:
Ok. So you have created a catchall mechanism. Whatever it is "Goddidit". If it does fit the bill of God then, it has to be Man, or the Fall, or the Devil. Fine.
You might be accustomed to debating with "God-of-the-Gaps" theistic apologists, but you won't get that from me. In fact, I would join you in refuting that kind of argument. You're kind of wasting your time with that approach.

John writes:
This is why we have science and technology, neither of which depend on, or are limited by religion. Religion, gods, what have you become mere clutter.
Science and technology depend utterly upon the attributes of God in His creation. Without Him, science makes no sense. Science requires intelligibility and inductive inference. Neither of these makes sense in a random, undirected and purposeless universe where everything is just matter in motion.

John writes:
The atheist has merely dispensed with more of the clutter than the religionist.
And in so doing, the atheist sacrifices rationality on the alter of materialism. The atheist worldview is incoherent, inconsistent, and undermines human reason and experience.

Jim

Hilston

Hall of Fame
No, and no.

No, and no.

Hi 1Way,

I hope this doesn't get lost, but not knowing when you might get a chance to see it, I'll just go ahead and post it anyway.

1Way writes:
But please respond and be as helpful as possible, so that we might wrap up and find something productive from this endeavor.
That's a great goal. However, it mostly depends on how careful you want to be about what the scriptures say on this matter.

Jim wrote: Your premise is false. The object of the atheist's faith is not "no gods exist."

1Way writes:
Your claim is false, your statement is not true, my “premise” is not much more than an observation of the obvious and is accurate.
Aussie Thinker has shown you to be wrong on your own terms.

Jim wrote: What is the object of the atheist's faith? Identify that and you will understand my complaint against unbiblical argumentation.

1Way writes:
That is about one vague question. (FYI you are often detailed to the ultra microscopic level if you are trying to debunk others, but if you are defending yourself, you get laid back and make wide-open statements.)
Another sign of a weak argument, 1Way. Rather than criticizing the question and jumping to some foundless generality, why not just ask for clarification? I would gladly make the question more specific if you think it needs to be. What is vague about the question?

1Way writes:
That depends upon what angle you are contextually concerned with.
Well what angle were you contextually concerned with when you made the vague statement that the object of the atheist's faith is "no gods exist"? I'm asking for a positive statement of what the atheist does in fact place his faith in.

1Way writes:
If it’s about truth, then the object of their faith is a false faith, ...
They have faith in faith? Now you're really going get the atheists riled up.

1Way writes:
... if it’s the nature of their claim, then the object of their claim is to deny that any supernatural God exists, ...
Did you forget the question? It's not "what is the object of their claim;" but rather "what is the object of the atheist's faith?"

1Way writes:
... if it’s concerning their sinful unrighteousness, then it’s their rebellion against the living God of the Bible, if the angle is about why they want a world without a God, then their object is to relieve themselves from their inextricable guilt.
You're all over the place, 1Way. You seem to have confused "object" as in "a focus of attention, feeling, thought, or action: an object of contempt. with object/objective, as in "The purpose, aim, or goal of a specific action or effort: the object of the game.

1Way writes:
But please explain forthwith what you have on your mind on this issue. I do not have much time here, this is not a game, it’s not a dress rehearsal, say what it is that you have to say!
What is it, in positive terms, that the atheist places his faith in? Don't answer "no gods" or "no faith" or "false faith." State what it is.

Jim wrote: The difference between idolators and atheists is that the former has a faith system and object of faith that they themselves affirm. The atheist denies this is true about them also, which is a lie. There is no such thing as a true atheist.

1Way writes:
Jim, please give chapter and verse or even just a general bible implied teaching, where claiming to have a system of faith makes some sort of a moral difference between them, and those who have a system of faith but do not claim to have one.
Whoever said there is a moral difference? This is about answering the folly of the fool. For the idolater-fool, they admit to having faith, and their folly is answered by the truths of scripture. They claim to believe in other gods, but they are guilty before the true God for rejecting Him. For the atheist-fool, they do not admit to having faith, and their folly is answered by the truths of scripture. They claim to be autonomous and without faith, but they are guilty before God for rejecting Him.

1Way write:
If both idolaters and atheists are lying to themselves about the truth of the God of the Bible, then who cares what form the lies come in?
I agree. Both should be dealt with scripturally, according to biblical principles of argumentation. The practical difference lies in what is being lied about. For the idolator, the lie is about false gods vs. the true God. For the atheist, the lie is about their own false god that they refuse to admit belief in. Do you see the difference? When someone admits their faith, you refute the lies of that faith. When someone refuses to admit they have faith, you refute that lie itself.

1Way writes:
They are each deluded and fools for not believing in the true God.
Why, in your opinion, is the atheist a fool for not believing in the true God?

1Way writes:
And again, you say that there is no such thing as a true atheist, but your reasoning does not support your claim, because God also teaches that the reality of idolaters faith does not exist, but God’s word says that idolaters and atheists both exist.
You're mixing things up again. No one said idolaters don't exist. So it's non sequitur to cmpare them with true atheists, which do not exist. And as I said before, I've explained this at length. If you have trouble finding it, let me know, I'll try to find and paste a link here.

Jim (sadly?) wrote: No, the atheist claims to not have belief. He claims to not have faith. That is impossible, and to affirm the atheist's claim of not having faith is basically dishonest.

Are you implying, by using the word "sadly", that we ought to affirm the atheist's claim of not having faith, even though we know it's a lie?

1Way writes:
You know your opponent is on shaky grounds when he pulls something like this. Jim, a belief is a belief is a belief.
And a tautology is a tautology is a tautology. Now what?

1Way writes:
If you say that atheists are non-believers, then we would not even know what they believe, or more particularly, what they do not believe.
What?

1Way writes:
By definition, an atheist is that which “believes” that the answer to the question, is there a god, is no.
Why, in your opinion, does the atheist believe that?

1Way writes:
And it doesn’t matter if they are mistaken about that belief, ...
Are they just mistaken? Or are they lying?

1Way writes:
... it’s still a belief, just as the bible says, the fool says in his heart, there is no God.
The atheist is a fool because he knows better. The word used to describe them is "ignorant," which in the Greek means that they deliberately, willfully, knowingly push the truth away from themselves.

1Way writes:
QUESTION 1:

Is the following truth claim a statement of atheistic faith/belief? "There is no God." Yes or No?

No. The atheist denies having faith, 1Way. Aussie has told you this. The truth is they have a blind, irrational faith, but most of them deny it. So there is no "statement of atheistic faith/belief" that an atheist (or at least most) will agree with.

1Way writes:
Your position is that atheists do not exist, you have judged against us Christians for even debating an atheist on the grounds that it is wrong for us to debate with an atheist because atheists do not exist.
If that's what you think my argument is, then you're wasting our time. You don't get it yet, 1Way. You either need to read more, or ask questions, or both. I debate so-called atheists all the time. Does that tell you something?

1Way writes:
You see a tacit affirmation ...
I "see a tacit affirmation?" I don't know what that means.

1Way writes:
... that they actually believe there is no God, and you disagree with that allowance, even though God gives it in the bible.
Please show where God contradicts Ro 1:19,20,30,32.

Jim wrote: Atheists do not exist. Anti-theists do.

1Way writes:
When I see you in heaven, I will get to make you ware a large sign and I will paint your slogan on the top portion "Atheists do not exist, Anti-theists do." But then, I will also add the following for the enlightened and curious onlookers. :Help: Please poor water into this my cup and see how much water it holds. : ) Yep, you’ll be saying things like, do you server towels with your showers, and, I hate to be a wet blanket but, and, is it raining now, and, oh, a little water never hurt anyone. Etc. etc. etc.
Dude, what in the world are you talking about? :kookoo:

1Way writes:
... you have not even responded to God overtly addressing atheists and idolaters as such, which is in direct denial of your view.
More mere assertions, 1Way. Show, don't just say.

Jim asked 1Way: Can you summarize what my objections to evidentialism are? That would help me to understand why you're not getting this.

1Way writes:
You have done this many times, and most importantly in your opening presentation.
quote: "By pretending that Zakath is truly an atheist (really there is no such thing), by pretending that God has not already sufficiently revealed Himself to Zakath, by pretending that Zakath has not seen enough evidence to ascertain God's existence, and by pretending that Zakath can actually present a defense of his godless beliefs, Mr. Enyart has answered the fool according to his folly, thus becoming like him (Prov 26:4,5)."
OK, that's not your summary. That's mine. I need to know if you understand it. Everything you've written thus far indicates that you don't. Let me help you.

1Way writes:
When Bob simply agreed to debate an “atheist”, you charge Bob with doing wrong for granting by simple reference that he is an atheist,
It not the "simple reference" to Zakath as an atheist. Rather, it's the fact that he approaches the debate as if it were true.

1Way writes:
Your position is that atheists do not exist because by your understanding it is impossible to be an atheist because God removed that option from mankind by His various forms of self-revelation, so for anyone to grant that a person is an atheist, is to deny your fundamental precept that stipulates that they do not exist.
You're close. If you could just get beyond the idea of "simple reference," you'll be on your way. As you said, it is an issue of granting the atheist his atheistic premises, but in my argument it is inseparable from one's apologetic methodology. Arguing evidentially affirms their claims and grants them the autonomy that they cherish. This is incorrectly answering the fool according to his folly and becoming like unto him.

1Way writes:
Now, here’s a test to see if I am right or not about my understanding of your view on this issue, answer the following.

Question 2: "Do you believe that atheists really exist?" Yes or no?
Of course not. No more than I believe that false gods really exist. Did you really need to ask this question? If so, then you really don't get it, 1Way. Ask more (better) questions.

Jim

Last edited:

attention

1way / hilston:

It is realy remakable how you 2 guys can talk things upside down! Unbelievable!

The 'object' of atheism which forms the ground for profound thoughts about the world, is the real existing world, which can not happen to not exist, and which exists without the presence of any deities.

So the only thing that is missing in reality is the object of theists, and since that happens to be the case, we call it a belief system.

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Ain't no such thang ...

Ain't no such thang ...

Hi Rob,

It's not that you yourself do not exist, but rather that you're not a true atheist. There is no such thing.

Jim

NOTE: For some strange reason, "Attention" changed his post after I responded to it. So now the above appears to come out of the blue. I was responding to "Attention" saying something t the effect of "I don't exist? Heh heh heh."

Last edited:

attention

Jim / 1way:

At least adapt to the fact that I have a positive conviction about the world itself, as a material entity, which we happen to know of, and that for the existence of the world itself, I have not adapted to any form of belief about the way in which the world exists.

The fact that part of this conviction seems to be missing forms the 'ground' (or better stated 'gap in the ground') through which you have seen it fit to pop up unexisting deities.

By they way, you are excused for that, history of mankind shows things to have happened in earlier faces of development too, but at that time is was realy caused by factual missing knowledge about the world, and man's inability to comprehend the world.

But the situation now has a bit changed, hasn't it?

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Darwinian amulets ...

Re: Darwinian amulets ...

Hilston wrote:

Of course. But this thread is about why Bob Enyart lost the debate from his very first post. The reasoning I offer to those who defend Mr. Enyart is that he has violated biblical principles of argumentation. To those who defend Mr. Enyart, what the Bible says is (or at least ought to be) much more relevant than vedic literature, the B-G, etc. Whether or not you acknowledge the veracity of the Judeo-Christian Bible, that the concept of atheistic self-deception is not a novelty that originates with me.

An example of "theistic selfdeception" would be the claim that "there are no atheists" or that there atheists are engaging in "atheistic selfdeception".
This sort of thing provides philosophical comfort to the theist, because to that individual _the existence of a single nonbeliever invalidates the system of belief_.

I would say that Bob Enyart lost the debate the minute that he started rattling off classic "God of the Gaps" creationist claptrap.

OK, just so I understand, I've replaced the word "supernatural" with your definition in your original sentence:

"The average modern person believes in far less of the belief in objects and forces beyond those that can be studied and be made sense of by humans, and the ability of humans to interact with such than our forbears."

Would you say that still accurately reflects what you intended? I just want to be careful that I understand you correctly.

Yes. In our modern world, we have had success of science in allowing us to make sense of aspects of the world around us. Religion has steadily lost ground to the success of science in describing and explaining the phenomena of the world.

The result has been that God has been redesigned to be more "subtle" by some relgionists. Others have backlashed by attempting to create 'Bible consistent science', which essentially is pseudoscience.

You don't know many catholics, do you? Kidding aside, the religion of today is naturalism. It is the "amulet" worn on the sleeves of Darwinists (and sometimes in the form of bumpers stickers and Darwinian fish emblems) to ward off the "evil spirit" of Christian Theism. It is no different that three centuries ago; it is merely a different manifestation of a false religion.

What a laugh! Basically the Darwin fish is intended to poke fun at anti-evolutionists.

An amulet is an object that people actually believed had the power to defend an individual against evil forces (the evil eye, curses, demons, ghosts, what have you). You don't believe in amulets any more than I do, because you do not reach for the supernatual explanation in the same way that our ancestors did. You are the product of our times, just as I am.

As to your other comments about "naturalism as a religion", basically this is more baseless apologism.

First of all, naturalism is, or rather, was, a philosophy of the 19th century and was tied to the notion that Newtonian physics was absolutely true. If that were then case, then one would only need a statement of the positions and momenta of all the particles in the universe at one time, and the positions and momenta for all time could be computed.

This was a deterministic view that collapsed after the advent of modern physics. Now, you might argue that the philosophy of "physicalism" replaced this,
the idea that reality is described only by the laws of physics.

Again, this is the misplaced idea that we "discover" the laws of physics. This is another 19th century holdover, or more properly a 17th century holdover, from the time when it was common for science to be justified as the discovery of "hidden laws of God". (This was a necessary tact in the superstitous society of the time, to prevent science from being branded as magic.)

In the modern world, we recognize that we study regularity in the universe and that we have done remarkably well in describing phenomena, but that we are not "done" yet. This is the world of science. We create scientific theories, which are precise descriptions of that observed regularity.

Now, many scientists are religious, but not many scientists would buy the type of God of the Gaps arguments that Bob Enyart has thrown out, nor do many scientists accept the majority of arguments that anti-evolutionists use. Indeed, because religion has given ground to science, these individuals create a more sophisticated God to believe in. One who operates below the reality we see, safely away from any tests that humans can possibly perform.

I'm curious, is that what you think this is all about? Do Christians believe in God because they need explanations for things they do not understand?

Yes. I would say fundamentally that the supernatural was invented as the primary explanation of the complicated world that we find ourselves born into. It was not invented in the same way that our scientific theories of today are invented but grew up in the context of the earliest human cultures---hunter-gatherer and agricultural.

However it is more complicated that a simple choice of an explanation, because with religion, there is usually a familial/societal/cultural component. Many people are brought up in religious environment, and inherit that religion.

Now, religion itself does not encourage questioning, so religion as a rational choice is something that is done in spite of religion, rather than in accord with religion. Indeed, there are all sorts of pressures from religious communities to suppress questioning. Indeed, I believe that there are still a lot of closet nonreligious people who still do not come out as such because they are afraid of looking bad.

You might be accustomed to debating with "God-of-the-Gaps" theistic apologists, but you won't get that from me. In fact, I would join you in refuting that kind of argument. You're kind of wasting your time with that approach.

Enyart's arguments are largely God of the Gaps arguments. Your "arguments" are simply pious apologetic claims unsubstantiated by facts.

Science and technology depend utterly upon the attributes of God in His creation. Without Him, science makes no sense. Science requires intelligibility and inductive inference. Neither of these makes sense in a random, undirected and purposeless universe where everything is just matter in motion.

And in so doing, the atheist sacrifices rationality on the alter of materialism. The atheist worldview is incoherent, inconsistent, and undermines human reason and experience.

Jim

Again more pious claptrap. Your paragraph has said nothing. The universe is no more and no less regular and understandable for the faithful than for the nonbeliever.

Indeed, if you are Bible literalist, it is not the _regularity_ of the universe that is the core of your belief system. Rather the core of religious belief is the alleged _suspension_ of regularity that is necessary for the various alleged miraculous events that make up the basic story of Christianity. It is the reliance on the existence of forces and objects that we cannot have a hope of making sense of that is the basis of religious belief.

The regularity of phenomena is what we all assume in order to deal with our daily lives, and by all, I mean animals as well. Your dog deals with the world as being objectifiable and intelligible just as you do. So this is not God metaphysics, but DOG metaphysics that is the most basic.

The basic substrate of DOG metaphysics is how we all live. Our *assumed* philosophies, the stories we weave around those things we observe, all of these things are cultural games that we play. They are maps of the territory, not the territory itself. It is DOG metaphysics that puts the bread on the table. Ultimately, it is DOG metaphysics that is formalized and applied in the rational systems of science.

We gain nothing at all by invoking a divine Puppeteer pulling the strings of the universe. This is only fantasy. The atheist does not need such fantasies.

The atheist must accept that only to a certain point does information exist for us to understand reality. Beyond that we must simply be honest and say "we do not know".

The religionist on the other hand, creates his idol God, bows before it, and pretends that he knows, when he, in fact, knows nothing more than the atheist. Indeed, if his idol is also "Biblical literalism" then he may preventing himself from knowing anything that conflicts with that literalist belief.

Last edited:

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jim,

I am fearful that this question will get buried but I hope you find it as I am really curious as to your response.

When I ask why would atheists lie with such huge stakes you reply

The cost is too great for those who love their deeds more than Truth. We see this all the time. My father is dying of emphysema. We watched his mother die the same way. It was awful. In her death, my dad was able to see his own end. He knows his smoking is killing him. When he inhales air, the elasticity of his lungs is well nigh gone. So he can't exhale without the help of inhaler medication and regular nebulizer treatments every couple of hours. But he won't stop smoking. My dad is not unintelligent, but surely, with a prolonged life as a reward and an early miserable death as punishment, he would be demented not to stop smoking, right? The world is full of such people.

You are equating humans fooling themselves (lying to themselves) so they can continue doing things they know are bad for them to me lying to myself to deny God.

That is just not a good enough answer.

You can’t compare the 2. One sacrifices mortality for the sake of small pleasures .. the other sacrifices immortality for the sake of small pleasures

It is an insult to anyone’s intelligence to imply they would throw away immortality on so flimsy a need.

Besides my life would be NO different if I was a Christian. I used to be .. I do not do ANYTHING that would not be morally acceptable to you. So what GREAT things to I get by denying God anyway ?

So can you cannot make a good case for me to deliberately lie about this issue, therefore any one reasonable would consider I am not lying.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jack,

You are probably right.

I believed in God for about the same length of time I believed in Santa. Perhaps about age 8-9 (just after first communion??)or so I questioned the whole deal.

Mind you up till then I wholeheartedly believed.

I prayed and prayed.. I went to Church .. I went to confession (and damn well sincerely confessed).. I read the Children’s Bible cover to cover.. then the Adult one..

So it was not without some experience that I was able to reject the whole notion.

The more I learned the more ridiculous the whole concept seemed.

Status
Not open for further replies.