Ann Coulter says Perry gave in-state tuition to illegals?

republicanchick

Ann Coulter says Rick
Perry, as Governor, was offering in TX, in-state college tuition for illegals?

never heard of that b4... :rolleyes:

but you know... may not be such a horrendous idea... (??)

it's bad enough we have illegals... but worse to have uneducated ones...

the jury in my head is still out on this one..

+

republicanchick

wow... no one is spoutating about how I shouldn't even consider such a thing... well, maybe i shouldn't.

which reminds me...

doesn't Trump want to deport all the illegals?

hence his popularity

++

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Perry's supporters are mostly businessmen in Texas. So it makes sense for Perry to promote education, even for children who were brought here illegally. The more university graduates in the state, the better it is for bidness.

Perry is also quite aware of the demographics in Texas. Soon Hispanics will be the majority, and Perry, for all his faults, is no bigot.

republicanchick

Perry's supporters are mostly businessmen in Texas. So it makes sense for Perry to promote education, even for children who were brought here illegally. The more university graduates in the state, the better it is for bidness.

Perry is also quite aware of the demographics in Texas. Soon Hispanics will be the majority, and Perry, for all his faults, is no bigot.

how do u know?

u come across as knowing so much... but there is no way for you to know this stuff... Bigots who want to be elected aren't going to go around saying "I can't stand Mexicans" or whatever... not that he is a bigot... but that's the point: neither of us knows absolutely

which is why we have 2b careful who we vote for

i want someone who doesn't change his beliefs or appear to... based on... well, fill in the blanks...

he's on a debate stage??

his pollsters say Cool it?? I mean What...?

+++

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
how do u know?

A Texas State Comptroller (republican, BTW) did a study. Turns out, Texas makes billions on illegal aliens every year.

u come across as knowing so much...

I know a secret for appearing to know everything. Only talk about things you know.

but there is no way for you to know this stuff...

Surprise. BTW, the Texas Chamber of Commerce backed Perry all the way on that. Good for bidness, remember?

Bigots who want to be elected aren't going to go around saying "I can't stand Mexicans" or whatever... not that he is a bigot... but that's the point: neither of us knows absolutely

He could just be trolling for morons. But I don't think so.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
A Texas State Comptroller (republican, BTW) did a study. Turns out, Texas makes billions on illegal aliens every year.

I know a secret for appearing to know everything. Only talk about things you know.

Surprise. BTW, the Texas Chamber of Commerce backed Perry all the way on that. Good for bidness, remember?

He could just be trolling for morons. But I don't think so.

did you vote for perry?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
did you vote for perry?

No. There was the corruption thing by that time. The good news for Perry, is the public discussion of his criminal case is going to die down for a bit. The attorney general of Texas just got indicted:

This handout photo provided by Collin County, Texas shows Texas Attorney General Kenneth Paxton, who was booked into the county jail Monday, Aug. 3, 2015, in McKinney, Texas. A grand jury last week indicted Paxton on felony securities fraud charges. (AP Photo/Collin County via AP)
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...wel-attorney-general-s-indictment-6425115.php

I voted for Bush as governor, though, and he had the same policies on aliens. Bush was actually a pretty good governor, with few exceptions. His mentor was the Lt. Governor, who helped him through a lot of difficult things. Unfortunately, his mentor as president was not as capable.

There remains a strong undercurrent of hatred for Mexicans in Texas, but other than Cruz, the republican party of Texas hasn't given those people much power. Bush and Perry both respect Hispanics and included them in their administrations.

It's ironic that the rising Hispanic vote in Texas threatens the republican party, but there are few places in America where republicans have been as open to Hispanics.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Sigh...
Texas tallies costs, benefits of illegal immigrants
AUSTIN — Illegal immigrants have boosted the state's economy by $17.7 billion and haven't been a drain on state government — but they did cost local governments $929 million in 2005, the Comptroller's Office reported Thursday.

The report by Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn is the first comprehensive effort by the state government to calculate the benefits and costs of having 1.4 million to 1.6 million illegal immigrants in Texas.

Overall, the survey found that illegal immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in state services.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Texas-tallies-costs-benefits-of-illegal-1582179.php

Yeah, Perry gave in-state tuition to kids brought to Texas illegally. Makes all kinds of sense to do that, as you can see from the analysis.

He's conservative, and a bit of a crook, but he's not a moron.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Ann Coulter says Perry gave in-state tuition to illegals?

Nobody is seriously suggesting that the federal government should deport all 11 million+ illegals.

The cost and the social unrest would be horrendous and dumping 11 people on the other side of the US/Mexican border would destabilize that nation.

If the vast majority of illegals are here to stay, investing in their children to make them productive members of society, and not perpetuate their "under-class" status, is a good idea.

Given that Ann Coulter is against it, what more proof do you need that its a good idea?

republicanchick

No. There was the corruption thing by that time. The good news for Perry, is the public discussion of his criminal case is going to die down for a bit. The attorney general of Texas just got indicted:

This handout photo provided by Collin County, Texas shows Texas Attorney General Kenneth Paxton, who was booked into the county jail Monday, Aug. 3, 2015, in McKinney, Texas. A grand jury last week indicted Paxton on felony securities fraud charges. (AP Photo/Collin County via AP)
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...wel-attorney-general-s-indictment-6425115.php

I voted for Bush as governor, though, and he had the same policies on aliens. Bush was actually a pretty good governor, with few exceptions. His mentor was the Lt. Governor, who helped him through a lot of difficult things. Unfortunately, his mentor as president was not as capable.

There remains a strong undercurrent of hatred for Mexicans in Texas, but other than Cruz, the republican party of Texas hasn't given those people much power. Bush and Perry both respect Hispanics and included them in their administrations.

It's ironic that the rising Hispanic vote in Texas threatens the republican party, but there are few places in America where republicans have been as open to Hispanics.

I'm afraid I cannot understand about 30% of this...

so won't comment

republicanchick

Nobody is seriously suggesting that the federal government should deport all 11 million+ illegals.

The cost and the social unrest would be horrendous and dumping 11 people on the other side of the US/Mexican border would destabilize that nation.

?

so just b/c some yahoo or 2 says it is not feasible to deport all the illegals... must be so, eh?

there's some logic for ya

+++

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Ann Coulter says Rick
Perry, as Governor, was offering in TX, in-state college tuition for illegals?

never heard of that b4... :rolleyes:

but you know... may not be such a horrendous idea... (??)

it's bad enough we have illegals... but worse to have uneducated ones...

the jury in my head is still out on this one..

+

yes its true that illegals get in state tuition prices if they meet criteria set in the law:

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2014/09/21/perry-defends-in-state-tuition-for-illegal-immigrants/

AUSTIN, Texas — At an event today at the University of Texas Austin campus, Texas Governor Rick Perry reaffirmed his support of allowing illegal immigrant students to pay in-state tuition at Texas colleges and universities, while U.S. citizens from other states continue to pay higher out-of-state tuition rates. Perry made his remarks in a “One-on-One Conversation” with Texas Tribune CEO and Editor-in-Chief Evan Smith at the Texas Tribune Festival, an annual event organized by the online media outlet. Breitbart Texas made several queries to Governor Perry’s press office for comment, but as of press time, had not received a reply.

A UT student asked Perry a question inspired by a Tribune Festival panel from the previous day titled “What to do with DREAMers,” referring to the children who were brought here by their parents without legal immigration status and want to attend public state universities. The student mentioned that Perry had signed a law granting in-state tuition to illegal immigrants and asked if he was still in support of that law, and also asked why Republicans had moved away from supporting this issue.

The law in question, HB 1403, was signed into law by Perry on June 16, 2001 and allows undocumented immigrant students who have lived in Texas at least three years and have a Texas high school diploma or GED equivalent to qualify for in-state tuition if they sign an affidavit that they intend to apply for permanent residency status as soon as they can....
(read more at link above article excerpt)

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
so just b/c some yahoo or 2 says it is not feasible to deport all the illegals... must be so, eh?

+++
Immigration Reform News Today: Trillion Dollar GDP Loss If All Undocumented Immigrants Removed from US
March 11, 2015

The American Action Forum found the U.S. government would have to spend approximately between $400 billion to $600 billion to address all the undocumented immigrants currently living in the U.S. and prevent future unlawful migration. The American Action Forum, which describes itself as a "center-right policy institute," noted that removing all undocumented immigrants from the U.S. requires their apprehension, detention, legal process and transportation to their native country. If all 11 million undocumented immigrants were removed from the U.S., the country's GDP is projected to decline by $1.6 trillion.

Based on the American Action Forum's calculations, the cost to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, under current U.S. laws, would range between $103.9 billion and $303.7 billion. Apprehension and detainment of undocumented immigrants could cost up to $243.3 billion and $35.7 billion, respectively.

Funding for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) immigration agencies, specifically the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), would require an upper estimate of $315.7 billion.

"Depending on how the government conducts its apprehensions, it would need to spend $100 billion to $300 billion arresting and removing all undocumented immigrants residing in the country, a process that we estimate would take 20 years," noted the report, titled, "The Budgetary and Economic Costs of Addressing Unauthorized Immigration: Alternative Strategies" by Ben Gitis and Laura Collins.

In a 2011 memorandum issued by ICE to its employees, the agency acknowledged it only has enough resources to remove 400,000 undocumented immigrants per year, which is less than 4 percent of the estimated total of the undocumented population in the U.S.

If U.S. law enforcement was able to remove all undocumented immigrants from the country, the U.S. economy would be 5.7 percent smaller in the next 20 years. Collins and Gitis noted, "For purposes of comparison, note that the decline in real GDP during the Great Recession was quite similar - 6.3 percent. This suggests that real GDP would be about $1.6 trillion lower in 2034 than CBO's baseline estimate."

..... As Latin Post reported, President Barack Obama's immigration executive actions taken in November would increase the U.S. economy by at least $90 billion by 2024. Obama's two deferred action programs have been temporarily blocked pending a lawsuit by 26 U.S. states, but the "plausible upper-bound projections" could see the U.S. GDP increase by 0.9 percent, or $210 billion by 2024.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/4...-gdp-loss-undocumented-immigrants-removed.htm
- Mitt Romney's infamous "self-deportation" policy, would take about 20 years and cost the government between $400 billion and $600 billion

- the agency acknowledged it only has enough resources to remove 400,000 undocumented immigrants per year, which is less than 4 percent of the estimated total of the undocumented population in the U.S.

- if all 11 million undocumented immigrants were removed from the U.S., the country's GDP is projected to decline by $1.6 trillion

- the U.S. economy would be 5.7 percent smaller in the next 20 years. Collins and Gitis noted, "For purposes of comparison, note that the decline in real GDP during the Great Recession was quite similar - 6.3 percent. This suggests that real GDP would be about $1.6 trillion lower in 2034 than CBO's baseline estimate."

The economic impact of removing all 11 million undocumented immigrants would be the equivalent to a recession for the next 20 years with a 2034 GDP $1.6 trillion lower than previously estimated.

Last edited:

zoo22

Hm. Good point.

Will you explain to me what it might take to deport 11 million people who are scattered all across the United States and who don't want to be deported?

Men, women, children. Families. Pregnant women. The elderly. Babies. Disabled people. Toddlers. Sick people.

Like, what do you think it might take to locate these 11 million people, round them up, take them from their homes, detain and transport them to wherever it was we were going to dump return them?

How long do you think it might take? Will you explain a bit to me what the timeline might be like?

What do you think might happen with the thousands upon thousands of businesses across the country that would lose millions of workers? Would there be any sort of economic repercussions?

Oh, also can you explain a little bit to me about the people who might disagree with being being deported... Like, do you think a few of those 11 million people might say, get together to, I don't know, protest it or something? If so, how do you think they might protest it? A non-confrontational, non-violent resistance? Maybe they'd start an online petition? Or do you think that there might be a few folks angry about being taken from their homes and jobs and separated from their families, put in camps and loaded onto trains or flatbed trucks or whatever and shipped off to wherever...

That's another question, do you think loading folks onto trains or trucks would be better? Trains? It seems like it would be more efficient. What do you think?

Bear with me, I'm just hoping you'll explain some of the intricacies. Like how many is 11 million people anyway, maybe the entire population of Greece? Couldn't we maybe just round them up onto trains (or trucks) and put them all in Detroit and fence it in? Wouldn't that be easier? We could give them (or sell?) them some seeds and they could start gardens for food or something. I mean wasn't there a Christian pastor saying we should fence in the homosexuals, maybe we could do it at the same time? Two birds with one stone, right!?

PS: Also do you think we'd have to provide blankets while we were transporting them? If so, could would it be okay to fit say, 3 or 4 to one blanket? I mean, they're not even supposed to be here anyway, so any blanket at all seems way more than they deserve.

fool

Hall of Fame
Hm. Good point.

Will you explain to me what it might take to deport 11 million people who are scattered all across the United States and who don't want to be deported?

Men, women, children. Families. Pregnant women. The elderly. Babies. Disabled people. Toddlers. Sick people.

Like, what do you think it might take to locate these 11 million people, round them up, take them from their homes, detain and transport them to wherever it was we were going to dump return them?

How long do you think it might take? Will you explain a bit to me what the timeline might be like?

What do you think might happen with the thousands upon thousands of businesses across the country that would lose millions of workers? Would there be any sort of economic repercussions?

Oh, also can you explain a little bit to me about the people who might disagree with being being deported... Like, do you think a few of those 11 million people might say, get together to, I don't know, protest it or something? If so, how do you think they might protest it? A non-confrontational, non-violent resistance? Maybe they'd start an online petition? Or do you think that there might be a few folks angry about being taken from their homes and jobs and separated from their families, put in camps and loaded onto trains or flatbed trucks or whatever and shipped off to wherever...

That's another question, do you think loading folks onto trains or trucks would be better? Trains? It seems like it would be more efficient. What do you think?

Bear with me, I'm just hoping you'll explain some of the intricacies. Like how many is 11 million people anyway, maybe the entire population of Greece? Couldn't we maybe just round them up onto trains (or trucks) and put them all in Detroit and fence it in? Wouldn't that be easier? We could give them (or sell?) them some seeds and they could start gardens for food or something. I mean wasn't there a Christian pastor saying we should fence in the homosexuals, maybe we could do it at the same time? Two birds with one stone, right!?

PS: Also do you think we'd have to provide blankets while we were transporting them? If so, could would it be okay to fit say, 3 or 4 to one blanket? I mean, they're not even supposed to be here anyway, so any blanket at all seems way more than they deserve.

I don't think there's room for 11 million but Detroit could use an influx of hard working people who want to buy a run down house for a dollar.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Hm. Good point.

Great post.