An Equal Opportunity Basher

Frayed Knot

Or a sign that says "Homos are going to hell" as well, guaranteed. :think:

The law doesn't say that. What it says is that a business cannot put up a sign that says "we don't rent to homosexuals." Here, I've dumbed it down for you, taking out some of the extra legalese:

No owner of any public accommodation shall publish any communication which is intended to discriminate against any race in the matter of furnishing any accommodation offered to the general public, or which states that any of the accommodations of any such place will be refused to any person on account of race, or that the patronage by any person belonging to any particular race is unwelcome.

For readability, I left the one protected class of "race" in this one, but you can substitute "sexual orientation" or the other classes as well.

So you can still go out on the street and say "I hate all black people," but you can't put up a sign on your hotel that says "I don't rent rooms to black people."

See the difference?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. But I guarantee you a judge won't split the hairs you are. Unless it was to excuse a liberal, of course.

Frayed Knot

So we agree that it's NOT illegal in Colorado to print or publicly speak against homosexuality or call it a sin or a perversion.

Glad we cleared that up.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
And I suppose Stipe is so sure, because he has an example of a Colorado judge equating criticism of homosexuals with denial of public accomodations to homosexuals.

I think now would be a good time to show us, Stipe.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So we agree that it's NOT illegal in Colorado to print or publicly speak against homosexuality or call it a sin or a perversion.

No, we don't. :idunno:

You really need to work on your comprehension skills. :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My Google is strong. :)

Direct search on "senate bill 200" didn't work, but including "Ritter" led to articles decrying the bill with the link.
I didn't know to search those terms.

No he didn't! He posted the text of a law having to do with discrimination in public accommodations.

Still waiting for the laws making it illegal to "print or publicly speak against homosexuality and call it a sin or a perversion."
If I lived in CO and stated that homos per perverts while at work would I be breaking the law?

Frayed thinks calling homosexuality an abomination would not be an intention to discriminate against sexual orientation. :chuckle:
Yeah, he's not very bright.

Yes. But I guarantee you a judge won't split the hairs you are. Unless it was to excuse a liberal, of course.
Exactly.

Flipper

No, we don't. :idunno:

You really need to work on your comprehension skills. :chuckle:

Alternatively, it could just be that you're a moron who can't read properly. The statute you found doesn't say what you and Lighthouse seem to think it does.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alternatively, it could just be that you're a moron who can't read properly. The statute you found doesn't say what you and Lighthouse seem to think it does.

:chuckle:

I think it's been well explained where our differences lie. Why don't you just accept the facts?

WandererInFog

Some lessons on reading for comprehension are badly needed in this thread.

Lighthouse can say whatever he likes about gay people in Colorado. What he can't do is discriminate if he is providing a licensed service or employment. The notice that Stripe has posted prevents Lighthouse from putting up a sign that says "no gays" if he runs a guest house.

It also prevents one from running an advertisement that says that while skirting the law by saw "oh, but that was just a joke, of course I'd serve them if they asked". That's the bit in the law that deals with print materials that got people all worked when it was first passed because they weren't reading it properly.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It also prevents one from running an advertisement that says that while skirting the law by saw "oh, but that was just a joke, of course I'd serve them if they asked".

Exactly. A sign that says "Homos are going to hell" will be deemed illegal in Colorado.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I tell them that if they have accepted Christ. And it is only through Christ one is made righteous; "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." [2 Corinthians 5:21]
It is only by the testimony of one's mouth that is the indicator in whether or not one is saved. It is certainly not by what they do or don't do.

Flipper

Exactly. A sign that says "Homos are going to hell" will be deemed illegal in Colorado.

I think it's been well explained where our differences lie. Why don't you just accept the facts?

westboro%20baptist%20church%20protester%20in%20fort%20collins%20june%2025.jpg

The picture above was taken in Fort Collins, Colorado, in 2010. The amendment you cited was passed in 2008.

I wish I could say this particularly clear demonstration of just how disingenuous you are was the exception, but I have come to realize that this is your MO.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The picture above was taken in The amendment you cited was passed in 2008. I wish I could say this particularly clear demonstration of just how disingenuous you are was the exception, but I have come to realize that this is your MO.

Haven't you just gotten finished insisting how this only applies to establishments providing services?

Try to remember exactly what it is you're ranting about. :)

Flipper

I searched for "Colorado laws." I couldn't find any.

But as you can see, Stripe came through for me. So eat dirt.

It's probably too late to convince you of the dangers of huffing gasoline, but you should at least consider switching to unleaded.

Flipper

Haven't you just gotten finished insisting how this only applies to establishments providing services?

Try to remember exactly what it is you're ranting about. :)

Your begrudging concession is not very clear and definitely lacks sportsmanship, but I will accept it anyway. Next time, try to either:

a) Be honest

or

b) Read for comprehension before posting

Either way, once you've posted your lousy argument for all to see and the problems with it have been pointed out to you, there's no shame in admitting you've made a mistake earlier on and with more grace than you typically show. Forcing people to corner you as if you were a rabid dog just makes you look like an dishonest jackass with an ego so big that he can't countenance the slightest possibility he might be wrong.

Just sayin' :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It is only by the testimony of one's mouth that is the indicator in whether or not one is saved. It is certainly not by what they do or don't do.
Of course. What does that have to do with anything?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Of course. What does that have to do with anything?
Oh, I don't know... It seems that there is always so much said in the negative about what people do in the flesh, but there is rarely an offer of hope (1 Corinthians 1:21 KJV) by those who are ambassadors for Christ who are supposed to understand that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their trespasses unto them and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV.

You know, they pervert the gospel and say stupid things like, “He is giving opportunity for people to repent of their sins, even of killing their own children, and turning to Him” and “repent or you’re going to hell”. That is their perverted good news which is no good news at all.

I guess I'm here as a reminder that salvation isn't by anything we do or don't do, but by what the Lord hath done.

later