America's astounding religious heritage

marke

America has the distinction of being the most successful non-Jewish nation to have ever existed on earth, and that is in large part due to its rich Christian heritage. Modern atheists, malcontents, rebels, heathen, barbarians, and assorted false or weak religionists deny the truth of America's Christian heritage, but they are wrong.

Last week, I wrote in this column about the recent research of George Barna, who has concluded that America’s religion is no longer one of orthodox belief but rather a new syncretistic faith that he called moralistic therapeutic deism – a nonjudgmental don’t-worry-be-happy “fake Christianity” where self-actualization and personal affirmation are now our highest goods. The result of my article? My critics came unglued.
“First and foremost, you need to get your facts straight,” said one. “America has no Christian basis whatsoever.”
“Pure drivel,” stated another. “Let’s start with the fact the majority of our founding fathers were deists.”
The crowd then piled on (there are over 400 comments. Go check out the original piece). “What an ignorant op-ed… [There is] a sea of documented evidence that there was no intention of having any religion of primacy in our nation,” they shouted.
Well, I’d like to take my detractors at their word. Let’s “get our facts straight.” Let’s consider the “evidence” as to what our nation’s founders and subsequent leaders actually believed about religion, Christianity, and the Bible