All who rely on works of the law are under a curse - Galatians 3:10a

beameup

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”
Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”
- Galatians 3:10-11

“‘Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’ - Deuteronomy 27:26

Bradley D

Works alone will not get one into heaven. One can never deserve to go to heaven because of works alone. That is what the pharisees believed. They used to brag about their works as in the "publican and the pharisee" (Luke 18:9-14). But works are expected along with one's faith (James 2:24).

glorydaz

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”
Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”
- Galatians 3:10-11

“‘Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’ - Deuteronomy 27:26

Works alone will not get one into heaven. One can never deserve to go to heaven because of works alone. That is what the pharisees believed. They used to brag about their works as in the "publican and the pharisee" (Luke 18:9-14). But works are expected along with one's faith (James 2:24).

How can works be expected since the curse comes on all who do not do ALL THE WORKS of the Law. You either rely on ALL the works and faith or you rely on faith without works. I'll choose the latter.

Charles94

How can works be expected since the curse comes on all who do not do ALL THE WORKS of the Law. You either rely on ALL the works and faith or you rely on faith without works. I'll choose the latter.

This is a nonsense distinction, though. We are saved by faith alone. The thief on the cross was saved by faith alone, sure. But if your “faith” is truly alone, there is a defect which is repeatedly addressed in Scripture.

James and Paul both teach that Abraham was saved by faith alone: “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." (James2:23; Rom4:3; Gen15:6) James makes the point that Abraham's faith was not alone, as decades later, Abraham demonstrated his faith by offering Isaac. A guy in the Corinthian church claimed to have faith and was included in that church...but he decided to shack up with his step-mom, such that Paul (quoting Deuteronomy) demanded that the rebel be removed. (1Cor5:11-13) And of course, John also teaches against those who claim to have faith but live a lifestyle of unrepentant sin.

1John1:6If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Jesus obviously expected “works.”

Luke6:46 "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?” Also, John14:15,23 among dozens of others.

If we have the Spirit, we can expect to be transformed into the image of the Son. (2Cor3:18) Slowly, awkwardly, frustratingly...but surely. God gives us grace and true grace is powerful:

1Cor15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Works can never save us. But if you have been saved, a desire to obey and follow the One who gave Himself up for you should naturally coexist with that salvation. If that desire is absent and you aspire to be a “carnal Christian” who rebels as much as possible while still trying to “believe” enough to get into Heaven, the Scriptures on the whole will offer you no comfort.

But if you have the Spirit, you have new life right now. It's not just about going to Heaven when you die.

glorydaz

This is a nonsense distinction, though.

That's an idiotic example of jumping to conclusions....not based on any fact.

I used the word "rely", didn't I?

If you rely on works to save you, you won't be saved, and if you rely on works to keep you saved, you are lost already.

Works can never save us.

There, you agree with me. Now, don't you feel the fool? Chastising without cause. :nono:

God's Truth

If you rely on works to save you, you won't be saved, and if you rely on works to keep you saved, you are lost already.

There, you agree with me. Now, don't you feel the fool? Chastising without cause. :nono:

Doing what the Creator says gives the Spirit and life.

glorydaz

Doing what the Creator says gives the Spirit and life.

He said a lot.....

Obeying the GOSPEL gives us life. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. You reject that free Gift, though, it's too easy for you to believe. You insist on trying to climb up on that cross so you can receive some of the glory. You are an ignorant worker bee and you will never enter into rest. :sigh:

God's Truth

This is a nonsense distinction, though. We are saved by faith alone.
Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone. See James 2:14, and 17.

The thief on the cross was saved by faith alone, sure.

The thief was not saved by faith alone; he feared God, he regretted his sin and admitted it and confessed it, he believed in Jesus, he acknowledged him before others, and he called on Jesus.

Those are things that we are told to do to be saved.

But if your “faith” is truly alone, there is a defect which is repeatedly addressed in Scripture.

James and Paul both teach that Abraham was saved by faith alone: “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." (James2:23; Rom4:3; Gen15:6) James makes the point that Abraham's faith was not alone, as decades later, Abraham demonstrated his faith by offering Isaac. A guy in the Corinthian church claimed to have faith and was included in that church...but he decided to shack up with his step-mom, such that Paul (quoting Deuteronomy) demanded that the rebel be removed. (1Cor5:11-13) And of course, John also teaches against those who claim to have faith but live a lifestyle of unrepentant sin.
I am wondering why you say we are saved by faith alone but then you say we are not.

We are saved by faith alone means we are saved just by believing that Jesus' blood cleans us of the sins we REPENT of doing.

The false teaching of salvation with faith without obedience saves is just a false doctrine that spread like gangrene.

People misunderstand Paul about faith alone. Paul was speaking about faith and not circumcision.

Abraham obeyed God from the beginning; his faith was even tested.

1John1:6If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Jesus obviously expected “works.”

Luke6:46 "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?” Also, John14:15,23 among dozens of others.

If we have the Spirit, we can expect to be transformed into the image of the Son. (2Cor3:18) Slowly, awkwardly, frustratingly...but surely. God gives us grace and true grace is powerful:
Jesus saves those who obey.

See Acts 5:32 and John 14:23.

1Cor15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Works can never save us.

Circumcision and the sacrifice of animals are the works that don't save. We still have to believe and obey, we just don't have to get circumcised and bring animals to sacrifice.

God's Truth

He said a lot.....

Obeying the GOSPEL gives us life. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. You reject that free Gift, though, it's too easy for you to believe. You insist on trying to climb up on that cross so you can receive some of the glory. You are an ignorant worker bee and you will never enter into rest. :sigh:

You can't destroy Jesus' words, his words that say to obey.

Charles94

I agreed with that. You also said, "How can works be expected...?" That is a fact.

You can't rely on works to save you but if you have saving faith, works should definitely be expected to result. Those works don't save you, but they are evidence of the saving work being done within you.

I don't feel bad at all. You seem to struggle with reading comprehension - perhaps a little too over-eager to write your response?

God's Truth

I agreed with that. You also said, "How can works be expected...?" That is a fact.

You can't rely on works to save you but if you have saving faith, works should definitely be expected to result. Those works don't save you, but they are evidence of the saving work being done within you.

I don't feel bad at all. You seem to struggle with reading comprehension - perhaps a little too over-eager to write your response?

'Believing' is something Jesus TELLS US TO DO.

So if you read or hear that---and do that---THEN YOU ARE OBEYING.

You people are so confused you go against your own teachings and do not even know it.

glorydaz

Nope, I read what your wrote. Perhaps you should be more careful to make yourself clear.

Besides which, you have now doubled down by saying I'm the one who struggles with reading comprehension. Don't put your faults onto others. It isn't providing a good example of those "works" that follow salvation.