Affluenza - Manhunt

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It seems Ethan Couch loves his money. He received 10 years probation for killing 4 people in a drunk driving accident, known for the "we're too rich defense" - affluenza - He was caught at a drinking party and now the judge wants to see him, but Ethan can't be found.

DALLAS (AP) — A manhunt is underway for a Texas teenager sentenced to probation in 2013 for killing four people in a drunken-driving wreck after his defense lawyers claimed he suffered from "affluenza." Authorities say he missed an appointment last week with his probation officer and the juvenile equivalent of an arrest warrant was issued for him. He's believed to have fled with his mother, with whom he'd been living. Here are a few questions surrounding the case involving 18-year-old Ethan Couch:

This undated photo provided by the U.S. Marshals Service, shows Ethan Couch. The U.S. Marshals Servi …
DO AUTHORITIES KNOW WHERE COUCH MAY BE?

Officials say they don't know his whereabouts and have expressed concern that he may have left the country, although Sam Jordan, a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County district attorney's office, says there's no specific indication that he has crossed the border.

"He and his mother have the means to be able to travel to wherever they may want to travel," Jordan said.

Couch was supposed to be accompanied by a parent for a regular visit Dec. 10 with his probation officer. When he didn't show, authorities issued an order for his arrest the next day.

The U.S. Marshals Service has issued a wanted poster promising a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to Couch's whereabouts and capture.

___

WHY WOULD HE HAVE FLED?

Tarrant County investigators were looking for Couch to ask him about a video posted online a few weeks ago showing people at a party playing drinking games. One of them appears to be Couch, and if found to be drinking, his parole could be revoked and a 10-year prison sentence could be imposed. Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said Friday that he believes Couch fled in the days after the video came to light. He said Couch and his mother may have left the area in late November, shortly after Couch attended a mandatory meeting with his probation officer and well before their next scheduled meeting on Dec. 10.

___

WHY WASN'T COUCH ALREADY IN PRISON FOR KILLING FOUR PEOPLE?

In June 2013 at age 16, Couch was driving drunk and speeding on a dark two-lane road south of Fort Worth when he crashed into a disabled SUV off to the side, killing four people. Among the injured were some of the seven minors who were in Couch's pickup. Couch pleaded guilty to four counts of intoxication manslaughter and two counts of intoxication assault causing serious bodily injury. Because of his age, he wasn't certified as an adult for trial and a judge sentenced him in juvenile court to 10 years' probation and a stint in a rehabilitation center.

___

WHAT IS 'AFFLUENZA'?

During the sentencing phase of his juvenile court trial, Couch's attorneys relied on a defense expert who argued that Couch's wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility — a condition the expert termed affluenza. The condition is not recognized as a medical diagnosis by the American Psychiatric Association, and its invocation drew widespread criticism and ridicule.

___

IS COUCH'S MOTHER FACING CHARGES?

Terry Grisham, a spokesman for the Tarrant County Sheriff's Department, said investigators haven't confirmed whether Tonya Couch fled with her son and he declined to say whether she's facing any charges.

"We are only assuming that they're together," Grisham said. "They're both missing. But no one has placed them together outside of Tarrant County."

___

WHERE IS COUCH'S FATHER?

Anderson, the Tarrant County sheriff, said Couch's father, Fred Couch, told investigators that he hasn't heard from his son or ex-wife in about two weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/q-look-search-texas-teen-affluenza-case-163949955.html

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
NY Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/us/ethan-couch-missing-texas-affluenza-case.html

Two years ago, a Texas teenager who killed four people in a drunken-driving crash was given probation after a defense witness suggested he suffered from “affluenza,” a term used to describe psychological problems that can afflict children from wealthy families.

Now the case, which stirred debate over whether the teenager, Ethan Couch, was a rich kid who got off too lightly, has resurfaced after the authorities said he went missing and ordered the juvenile court equivalent of an arrest warrant to have him detained.

“We have recently learned that, for the last several days, the juvenile probation officer has been unable to make contact with Ethan or his mother with whom he has been residing,” a statement from his lawyers, Reagan Wynn and Scott Brown, said.

The statement gave no details about why Mr. Couch had not been in contact

The development came almost two weeks after a six-second video posted on Twitter appeared to show Mr. Couch at a drinking party with other youths. The post, which tagged the Tarrant County district attorney’s office, said it could provide more proof of Mr. Couch “violating probation.”

The sheriff’s office announced on Twitter it was “aware of the #EthanCouch video” and had forwarded it to the authorities.

Samantha Jordan, a spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday that it was investigating possible violations of Mr. Couch’s 10-year probation related to both the Twitter post and his apparent disappearance.

“And we are now investigating his whereabouts and the whereabouts of his mother,” Ms. Jordan said. “The supervision is under juvenile court, but if there was an ultimate violation, juvenile prosecutors are part of our office.”

“We don’t know that they have committed any crime, but we certainly are interested in their whereabouts,” she said.

Ms. Jordan said the district attorney’s office requested in November that Mr. Couch’s case be transferred to the supervision of an adult district court, which means he would be eligible for prison rather than juvenile detention in the event of any violations.

A hearing on that request has yet to be scheduled, she said.

If the case does not get transferred to adult court, Ms. Jordan said, Mr. Couch’s probation will expire when he turns 19 in April 2016.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
af·flu·en·za
ˌaflo͞oˈenzə/Submit
noun
a psychological malaise supposedly affecting wealthy young people, symptoms of which include a lack of motivation, feelings of guilt, and a sense of isolation.

shagster01

I saw this story the other day. It makes me sick. I'm kinda glad he violated his probation so that he will finally face some consequence when found. And if they fled the country, I'll consider than a win (albeit a lesser one) too.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I saw this story the other day. It makes me sick. I'm kinda glad he violated his probation so that he will finally face some consequence when found. And if they fled the country, I'll consider than a win (albeit a lesser one) too.

True, if he went to a place outside the US that won't extradite, at least he can't live in America again. He got off too easy with a good attorney no doubt.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The manhunt is still underway with the FBI and the US Marshal Service involved. The mother is missing too and her truck. Authorities promise that if mom helped in any way she will face the full extent of the law.

It's a black Ford F150 with Texas plates and a mesh grille.

View attachment 21196

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Will he face consequences? Or will some psychologist just say that his affluenza is acting up again?? :doh:

PureX

It seems I remember back in the early 90s when that term "afluenza" first came around; that it was being used to refer to an actual mystery malaise that was seriously effecting upper middle class men between the ages of about 25 to 35, and that had even been labeled the cause of some number of deaths. Doctors were stumped by it because they could recognize the similarities of the victims, and of the symptoms, but they could not ascertain any possible biological or circumstantial cause. And it went on for some years, until it had vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

This case in Texas did not resemble that "afluenza" outbreak at all. Since the kid was far younger, and exhibited much different behavioral patterns. But some clever lawyers knew that the term is "catchy" and still has a vague connection to some actual malady, so he used it to stage a defense. And being that it was Texas, where the legal system is notoriously corrupted, by money, stupidity, and politics, he managed to get away with it.

But as with most things, the truth always floats to the top in the end, and this overaged enfant terrible and his selfish, excessive, and dangerous cries for attention soon resurfaced, and the whole system was being exposed for what it is, along with the enfant terrible.

My guess is that the state won't be looking all that hard for these two, as everyone involved is just hoping it all vanishes from sight again, soon. Before someone has to explain the absurdity of it all to the general public.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
that's not fair

they should give him a sack of money and let him go

surely he doesn't deserve to be punished any more