Acts 2:38 and the gift of the Holy Spirit

Jerry Shugart

After being resurrected and shortly before the day of Pentecost the Lord Jesus told His apostles the following: “He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth” (Acts 1: 7-8).

The Lord told His apostles that when the Holy Spirit comes upon them they will receive power and be His witnesses, and being His witnesses refers to service. Lewis Sperry Chafer revealed exactly what kind of ministry of the Spirit relates to service, writing that “Christian service, according to the New Testament, is the exercise of a 'gift'...a gift, in the Bible use of the word, is a direct undertaking, or manifestation, of the Spirit working through the believer...true Christian service is a direct ‘manifestation of the Spirit’: ‘Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit’."

Chafer’s reference to the “manifestation of the Spirit” and gifts bestowed by the Holy Spirit is found in the following passage:

“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware...Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills” (1 Corinthians 12: 1, 4-11).

One of the gifts mentioned by Paul in this passage is the gift of tongues and that gift can indeed be described as a manifestation of the Spirit. That is the gift which the believers on the day of Pentecost received for power and for service. In his commentary on Acts 1: 8 Albert Barnes wrote,The word ‘power’ here refers to the help or aid which the Holy Spirit would grant; the power of speaking with new tongues; of preaching the gospel with great effect; of enduring great trials, etc.”

THE GIFT POURED OUT

The following passage describes the event when Gentiles were first given the gift of the Holy Spirit: “While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also(Acts 10: 44-45).

The gift of the Holy Spirit was “poured out” on the Gentiles as it had previously been poured on the Jews and the following verse speaks of that previous “pouring out” of the gift of the Holy Spirit: “Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear” (Acts 2: 33).

The “gift of the Holy Spirit” was “poured out” and that which was seen and heard was the believers speaking in tongues: Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, ‘Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?’” (Acts 2:5-8).

The “gift of the Holy Spirit” was “poured out” and that which was seen and heard was the believers speaking in tongues: “Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. They were amazed and astonished, saying, ‘Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?’” (Acts 2:5-8).

The 'gift of the holy Spirit" was in regard to service and not salvation. once a Jew believed that the Lord Jesus is both the Christ and the Son of God he was saved (1 Jn.5;1-5; Jn. 20:31) so submitting to the rite of baptism played no part in his salvation. After all, the Lord Jesus told them the following:

"Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life" (Jn.6;47).

Bradley D

Receiving the Holy Spirit is a Christian baptism.

"I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" (Mark 1:8).

Water Baptism seems to be more ceremonial/symbolic. Going under the water dying to the old and coming out the water a new person. However, the person being baptized must have a changed heart.

Jerry Shugart

The lord Jesus said the following:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life
" (Jn.6;63).

Before a person could be baptized with water they had to first believe (Acts 8:37) so a person is saved by being made alive by the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit before being baptized with water. The Lord Jesus also said the following;

"Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life" (Jn.6;47).

OZOS

Receiving the Holy Spirit is a Christian baptism.

"I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" (Mark 1:8).

Water Baptism seems to be more ceremonial/symbolic. Going under the water dying to the old and coming out the water a new person. However, the person being baptized must have a changed heart.
Amazing how many people have no clue what takes place when anyone believes the gospel.

Death (Gal 2:20; Col 3:3; Rom 6:8), baptism (1 Cor 12:13; Rom 6:4), circumcision (Col 2:11), new creation (2 Cor 5:17), resurrection of life (Col 3:1; Rom 6:13), receiving the Holy Spirit (Rom 8:9; Eph 1:13), conformed / transformed to His image (Rom 8:29; 2 Cor 3:18), made holy (Col 1:22; Eph 1:4; Heb 10:14), completion (Col 2:10), perfection (Heb 10:14), sanctification (1 Cor 1:2), are all instantaneous when saved.

Jerry Shugart

No believer will be "conformed" to the image of the Lord Jesus until the rapture:

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. " (Phil.3:20-2; Niv).

OZOS

No believer will be "conformed" to the image of the Lord Jesus until the rapture:

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. " (Phil.3:20-2; Niv).
:LOL: You're an idiot. The body is NOT the new creation that has been transformed to His image. A believer (not you) has been made spirtually alive as they await the redemption of the body.

Why do you insist on making a complete fool of yourself publicly?

Jerry Shugart

Do you not understand that one of the meanings of the Greek word translated "image" is "likeness"?
At the rapture the believrs will be conformed to a body "like" the glorious Bidy of the Lord Jesus.

You may be smart but your Spiritual I.Q. is practically non-existent and you pride is off the charts!

OZOS

Do you not understand that one of the meanings of the Greek word translated "image" is "likeness"?
At the rapture the believrs will be conformed to a body "like" the glorious Bidy of the Lord Jesus.

You may be smart but your Spiritual I.Q. is practically non-existent and you pride is off the charts!
I understand that you're a moron. I was NEVER discussing the "body" you blithering idiot. Never mentioned it, or discussed it, or included it in my post that you first chose to use your poor reading comprehension skills on.

My "spiritual IQ" makes you like like a demon from hell.

Every believer (not you) is a new creation in Christ, having been made holy, righteous, complete, and perfected forever. They lack nothing, in Christ. This has nothing to do with the redemption of the body that every believer (not you) is waiting for patiently. They have been transformed into His likeness, and are free from, sin, Law, wrath, and death.

Exactly which anti-Christ cult are you a member of?

Jerry Shugart

You said that the moment a person believes he is conformed / transformed to His image.

Have you already been made in the likeness of the Lord Jesus and therefore never sin?

Have you ever considered actually buying a Bible and reading it?

OZOS

You said that the moment a person believes he is conformed / transformed to His image.
That is a fact, and the fact that you reject that is proof that you have never believed the gospel, are outside the faith, and eternally separated from God.
Have you already been made in the likeness of the Lord Jesus and therefore never sin?
I have already been made in the likeness of the Lord Jesus. The fact that you ask that question is evidence that you don't know Him.

Are you a slave of sin or a slave of righteousness? I am the latter, having been made in the likeness of Jesus. I am as righteous as Jesus, as holy, as blameless, and as complete. And it has nothing to do with my body, which will be redeemed.

"And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness."

You are spiritually dead.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

How many books with Christian themes have you written?

How many of your books have received a favorable review from a publication from a theological Seminary?

I have written four of those books and one of them received a favorable review from the journal published by Tyndale Theological Seminary.

Jerry Shugart

If you have already been made in the likeness of the Lord Jesus then you never sin.

Do you claim that you never sin, like others who belong to a certain cult?

OZOS

How many of your books have received a favorable review from a publication from a theological Seminary?

I have written four of those books and one of them received a favorable review from the journal published by Tyndale Theological Seminary.
:LOL: So, you think that the people who write books are qualified to know the Bible? Yes, you are a moron of morons.

Instead of being all puffed up about my own words, I would rather read God's word, and believe Him, but you go on putting your confidence in the flesh, you pervert. :ROFLMAO:

OZOS

If you have already been made in the likeness of the Lord Jesus then you never sin.

Do you claim that you never sin, like others who belong to a certain cult?
Answer my question you prig. Are you a slave of sin or a slave of righteousness?

OZOS

Rob Bell has written 11 books, does that make him a Bible expert? How about Joel Osteen? Are you a follower of John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, John Piper, Martin Lloyd-Jones? What other men do you worship?

OZOS

Of course you refuse to answer my question so you must think that you never sin1
You are a liar. I did answer your question, you moron. I said that I have been made in the likeness of Jesus. THAT was your question. You ADDED your own commentary to the question, dummy.

So, you misguided prig, are believers (not you) slaves of righteousness or slaves of sin?

You will never answer my question, because it will expose you as a fraud.

Right Divider

Body part

This explains a lot about your high horse riding Jerry.

You're bragging about having ONE of FOUR books favorably reviewed? That's a pretty poor showing.

Jerry Shugart

How many books have you written?

Besides that, I only submitted one book for review, and that one received a favorable review from Tyndale Theological Seminary.

With your limited knowledge of the Scriptures, you would be lucky to write one paragraph free from error.