ECT ACTS 10 EXEGETICAL

The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a fact. I have a hunch some word game is coming, as people receive the Holy Spirit who are in Christ, this a different baptism than John's baptism,

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.

There was the initial Pentecost and other baptisms, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and the Spirit received. This is fundamental, all believers being born of the Spirit, and many of us know His presence and activity as a living experience.

Bottom line, this is like waiting for David Copperfield to make an elephant disappear, knowing full well the elephant didn't really vanish, as, even on the web, I can't see any credible Christian claiming being born of the Spirit is a false doctrine. Bet it all comes down to word games, after all, I know the Holy Spirit won't be vanished!

Arsenios

Acts 10:3
BYZ –
ειδεν εν οραματι φανερως
He perceived in a vision clearly

ωσει ωραν ενατην της ημερας
about hour nine of the day

αγγελον του θεου
an angel of God

εισελθοντα προς αυτον
having entered toward him

και ειποντα αυτω
and he said to him

κορνηλιε
Kornili...

This one is less trouble, except for that "having entered toward him", which I think simply means "having approached him"...

"About the 9th hour of the day
he perceived clearly in a vision
an angel of God
who approached him and said to him:
Cornelius!"

In the Greek to this day, when you address a person, the diminutive ending is used - Hence the angel said Kornili, pronounced KOR-NEE'-LEE... Accent on the second syllable...

So the table is set - we have a pious and prayerful and generous military officer doing the prayers of the 9th hour and an angel comes up to him and addresses him by name...

Arsenios

Lon

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.

Baptized - BY - the Spirit.
Isaiah 4:4 ... by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.
1 Corinthians 6:11 ... justified in the name of the Lord Jesus,
and by the Spirit of our God.
2 Corinthians 3:18 ...are changed ... even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Such may or not be the case but that's not what he is saying or asking yet. He is asking you to first double-check that he translated well:
Acts 10:1
Now in Caesaria there was a certain man named Cornelius,
an officer of the Italian Regiment.
OK so far?
Arsenios

Acts 10:2
pious and God-fearing together with all his household,
especially doing much mercy (eg giving alms) for (to) the people,
and supplicating God on account (behalf) of all

"About the 9th hour of the day
he perceived clearly in a vision
an angel of God
who approached him and said to him:
Cornelius!"
Arsenios

So at this point, he is asking if it is all okay as presented.

Yep, Arsenios, it lines up with other translations.

Here is the KJV:
Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of ... the Italian band,
Acts 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
Acts 10:3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.

Note a difference on "alway" vs "all" v.2 Most [all?] translations tie the meaning to continual prayer, rather than for all.

dia -panta "through - all" such that "through continuance/constance" [they/his household] prayed to God.

It may also be noted in v.3, though not of great notice, the KJV word "evidently" is, imho, better translated "clearly" in conveyance, as you have it, for it even meant that in the KJV but I'm simply noting the difference as acknowledgement in any event.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Diagramming sentences and translation:

Odd to see so much banter. Arsenios is posting the 'plain' text - a translation, without interpretational contest. In so doing, he is setting the groundwork for a basic English translation of the text AND showing why he chooses English wording (like your NIV or KJV). The ONLY contest for such should be whether he has translated well. Any other contest is agenedization from a specific theological perspective. He may indeed delve into that after translation work, but there really should be no contest at this point in thread. It just isn't warranted. He is doing basic exegetical work, taught in every Greek AND English class. It is odd to see 'debate' at this venture. He is simply laying out the text. Other than clarification/correction of that very straightforward task, there is no need for interruption. You should just be looking at the text and correcting things. If you can't read Greek, use your Concordance for perhaps a preferred word or slight rephrasing. Check it with the English Bible you use. That's the only discussion needed at this venture. You may not 'like' exegesis, but this is fairly established by language rules and cannot and should not be debated or altered. Since the rules establish the context, the important job of all is simply to tell him where he may have translated incorrectly specifically by following the same exegetical rules.

My two cents

-Lon

Yes, rules! That's it. That is what Jesus used the several times He replied, "It is written", to Satan __ er, or was it the devil He was speaking to?

Arsenios

Diagramming sentences and translation:

Odd to see so much banter. Arsenios is posting the 'plain' text - a translation, without interpretational contest. In so doing, he is setting the groundwork for a basic English translation of the text AND showing why he chooses English wording (like your NIV or KJV). The ONLY contest for such should be whether he has translated well. Any other contest is agenedization from a specific theological perspective. He may indeed delve into that after translation work, but there really should be no contest at this point in thread. It just isn't warranted. He is doing basic exegetical work, taught in every Greek AND English class. It is odd to see 'debate' at this venture. He is simply laying out the text. Other than clarification/correction of that very straightforward task, there is no need for interruption. You should just be looking at the text and correcting things. If you can't read Greek, use your Concordance for perhaps a preferred word or slight rephrasing. Check it with the English Bible you use. That's the only discussion needed at this venture. You may not 'like' exegesis, but this is fairly established by language rules and cannot and should not be debated or altered. Since the rules establish the context, the important job of all is simply to tell him where he may have translated incorrectly specifically by following the same exegetical rules.

My two cents

-Lon

Thank-you, Lon...

That really is all that I am doing here - Establishing a very basic English translation of the text... And this for the purpose of looking at it grammatically, and thereby establishing a grammatical basis for interpretation of meaning(s)...

On the issue of Baptism BY the Holy Spirit, the text does not say so... What it states, and we will get to it, is Baptism IN the Holy Spirit, which CAN BE INTERPRETED TO MEAN, and is commonly interpreted to mean on this board, Baptism BY the Holy Spirit...

This really is an exercise in GRAMMAR and the conversion of the Greek into an English that utilizes Greek grammatical constructions wherever possible... Some Greek constructions flat out do not work when done with English words that literally render the Greek terms used, and when that happens, we need to know and acknowledge it...

Thank-you for keeping your eyes clear...

And for your good heart...

Arsenios

Arsenios

ARSENIOS,

This Forum is here to debate the meanings and understanding of the scriptures.

The posters here do it to gain a fuller meaning and understanding and to exchange

their interpretations such as ....

Baptized - BY - the Spirit.

Isaiah 4:4 When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion,

and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst

thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed,

but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus,

and by the Spirit of our God.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord,

are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Thank-you for removing your personal attack on me that you had written in your first post to this thread... You took a step UP from what is so often found here in the default of bitterness and lashing out at perceived enemies...

And I can understand, given my Orthodox Faith, that those with opposing views based on Acts 10 etc will tend to look askance on ANY effort I might make to translate as I am doing here... And it is true, I am using OUR Bible, and not THEIRS...

My only defense is that theirs is based on ours... That ours is the original...

In fact, I DO have an Orthodox Translation of the New Testament done by Mother Mary in Buena Vista, Colo... It is based on the KJV as to its English style, but according to the Greek text according to its content... But she is always looking over her KJV shoulder as she renders the text, and does footnotes from the Church Fathers on textual interpretation...

So I will dig it out and give you what she translated as well, and I may easily find myself corrected... There are many things written that beg interpretation... I am only presenting them as grammatical constructions here... With as literal English renderings as the English will permit...

But to use the Bible as one's basis for the Christian Faith requires that one have access to the original... And that means to get comfortable with Greek, even if never proficient... ALL English translations, after all, ARE translations from the Greek... So that IF one holds a theological opinion based on a translation of the Greek rather than the Greek itself, then one is having their Faith based on the person who did the translation...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Hi and I do not like the MAD symbol as it does not describe me as I am Acts 9 believer , and and laughing at your Default methodology !!

Give me a verse where we Default ?

dan p

He removed it from his post on this thread, for which I thank him and glorify God...

And no, you were not in view on that 'default'...

Conversing without rancor is a good thing...

And conversing in Joy is better!

My DAY JOB is calling me!

So Bye!

Arsenios

Two Christians are born of the Spirit. One believes they are baptized in the Holy Spirit, the other believes they're baptized by the Holy Spirit, incidentally He, a person of the Godhead, the very power of God. Both have received the Spirit come upon them. What is your point of consequence, or is this just playing with words, which is alright, if that's what turns your crank, but I'm not seeing an issue of consequence?

What's consequential is that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not impugned, which, IN or BY, one can wonder of your statement there's no Holy Spirit baptism in Acts 10 in some way. See what I mean? You had me thinking this is where you were going.

By the way, to those saying this is strictly a text exercise, it was a doctrinal, interpretation statement, involving the Holy Spirit, made, that strays from any strict presenting of text, and this prior to offering any evidence, at that. We can't, out of one side of our mouths, say this is simply a raw translation exercise, to not be commented on, yet predicated by a questionable doctrinal statement, involving the Holy Spirit! Perhaps it would be better to save these claims to later, then, and do your translating, first, to be consistent with your own rules?

OCTOBER23

Arsenios in the hall,

I have found that IF you really do believe that the Verse should be read

or Understood differently, it is wisest to analyze the whole book and especially

the nearby chapters and references in all relevant languages.

Arsenios

BYZ – Acts 10:4
ο δε ατενισας αυτω και εμφοβος γενομενος ειπεν
Who, having fixated on him and fearful having become, said:

τι εστιν κυριε
"What is it, Lord?"

ειπεν δε αυτω
He then said to him:

αι προσευχαι σου
The prayers of you

και αι ελεημοσυναι σου
and the mercies of you

ανεβησαν εις μνημοσυνον ενωπιον του θεου
have ascended unto a memorial before the God.

So the narrative continues, as Cornelius fixates on this Angel and becomes afraid, and asks him what's up... And the Angel tells him that his prayers and his alms are being commemorated before God...

Who stared at him and became fearful, and said:
"What is it, Lord?"
And he said to him:
"Your prayers, and your alms,
have gone up as a memorial before God.

No small matter...

And to be kept in context is the piety, alms-giving, and supplicating for all, with daily prayers at fixed times of the day, as was the practice at that time - the 6th hour, the 3rd hour, the 9th hour, the 1st hour, plus morning and evening prayers, and those that are prayed during the night... He was living very righteously... And God noticed him, and remembered him...

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

A NOTE ON GREEK NARRATIVE WRITING

A NOTE ON GREEK NARRATIVE WRITING

Some facts -

Most of 1st century people could not read and write...
They had superb memories...
Each sheet of paper was hand made...
Every character on each sheet was manually placed there...
The ink was hand made...
So was the writing implement...

In today's terms, the cost of a Bible would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range...

And the point is that every word written is on the page you are writing for an essential reason... Flowery descriptive writing was not employed... We do not read of Paul sprinkling cumen on his boiled potatoes as he made a leisurely breakfast... Those kinds of facts were omitted for reasons of economy... Writing was done with an economy of style that kept only what was essential, and this is the case in Acts...

When Acts 10 opens with
ανηρ δε τις ην
A MAN now a who there was...
The first word of this section is MAN... And this section is about this MAN, and MAN is what every word in this chapter is about...

We translate: "There was a certain man..." and for us post-modern printing press now turned computerose throw-away fast-food artists, this only means that someone is starting to write, to talk, to enter into a stream of words that are idle and meandering, that at any point the conversation can take any turn...

But the Greek does not work like that... This chapter is about that particular male man, for the word "anir" means a manly man, and not just a generic male human being... The opening words present a person, a force of a male character moving in the world, in the city of Kaisaria, who is only THEN introduced BY his name - In the dative grammatical case... "...By name, Kornelios..."

And so we have a great deal in few written words, and the essential point I am trying to convey is that this style of writing will now CONTINUE TO BUILD on this established base of this certain man in Caesaria named Cornelius... And it will do so until the narrative shifts from him to another subject, and the next subject will itself have Cornelius' story as its basis... And not one word is non-essential... Not one word is superfluous... Not one word is merely ornamental...

So that when reading any work of this period, and especially in the Biblical texts, the art of context KEEPING is absolutely mandatory as one is reading along, for the words are meant to be read aloud to the gathering of the People of God, the Faithful in Christ, as they assemble to do the Holy Services prescribed for them by Christ in obedience to "all that I have commanded you..." Matt 28:20

I hope that this is not too controversial...

Context keeping within the narrative is the essential point, in order that the narrative retain its glue, its coherence...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Two Christians are born of the Spirit. One believes they are baptized in the Holy Spirit, the other believes they're baptized by the Holy Spirit, incidentally He, a person of the Godhead, the very power of God. Both have received the Spirit come upon them. What is your point of consequence, or is this just playing with words, which is alright, if that's what turns your crank, but I'm not seeing an issue of consequence?

Good question.

When we translate BY the Holy Spirit, we are giving the agency of the Baptism TO the Holy Spirit - iow It is the Holy Spirit Who is DOING the Baptism...

When we translate IN the Holy Spirit, we are giving the agency of the Baptism TO the one DOING the Baptism IN the Holy Spirit...

The Baptism of Paul of Tarsus by Ananias is a good example. He was struck blind on the road to Damascus by Christ, and led to a room on Right Street there, where he had been fasting for three days... And God came to Ananias to send him to Paul for the purpose of restoring his sight and for giving Paul the Holy Spirit... So he laid hands on Paul, and something like scales fell from his eyes, and he received his sight, and arose... And upon arising, he was baptized BY Ananias, wherein he RECEIVED the Holy Spirit...

Now you can say of this that it was the Power of the Holy Spirit that baptized Paul, and that is true... But it MUST be said that it was Ananias who DID the Baptism of Paul... Who GAVE Paul the Holy Spirit... Because that is what the text tells us... The Baptism was NOT given to PAUL BY the Holy Spirit, but BY Ananias IN the (Power of) the Holy Spirit...

Now the early Church even unto this very day acknowledged the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but except in extreme cases, done at the hands of, eg BY, the Servants of God who were IN the Body of Christ, as Ananias is described baptizing Paul into Christ... But it did not understand the Holy Spirit to be going around baptizing people by Himself, but only at the hands of His Servants in Christ's Holy Body, the People of God, the Ekklesia of Christ...

So it is a distinction having great import... When the Holy Spirit fell upon the Cornelius party at Joppa, only then did Peter baptize them in water into the Body of Christ... Peter, like Ananias, was a Servant of Christ, who baptized into Christ, as was Paul baptized into Christ, by a Servant of Christ within the Body of Christ...

What's consequential is that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not impugned, which, IN or BY, one can wonder of your statement there's no Holy Spirit baptism in Acts 10 in some way. See what I mean? You had me thinking this is where you were going.

Well, if you believe that it is the Holy Spirit doing "spiritual" baptisms of people into the Body of Christ apart from the Servants of Christ baptizing them, my language will give you pause... But what I am proposing in this exercise with the text is to simply let the text speak for itself, and then let our interpretation of its words speak for OUR selves... A theological discussion can then ensue regarding the meaning and implications of the words of the text that form a basis for the discussion...

By the way, to those saying this is strictly a text exercise, it was a doctrinal, interpretation statement, involving the Holy Spirit, made, that strays from any strict presenting of text, and this prior to offering any evidence, at that. We can't, out of one side of our mouths, say this is simply a raw translation exercise, to not be commented on, yet predicated by a questionable doctrinal statement, involving the Holy Spirit! Perhaps it would be better to save these claims to later, then, and do your translating, first, to be consistent with your own rules?

I do not think that such sequencing would be honest on my part, nor do I think that doing so would give textual neutrality in translating the words... Textual neutrality in translation is a matter of maintaining literal meanings in English according to Greek sentence structures, and when this is not possible, to show why and do the best one can... This is the only way, apart from fluency in speaking and thinking in Koine Greek, that we can have a textual basis for our diverging opinions on the meaning of the text...

I would be very open, for instance, to anyone ELSE doing what I am doing here, where that would be the purpose of translating... So often now, in arguments, we see translations that are theologically driven, and thereby altered from the Greek to which they are supposed to be faithful... And by doing this, we are giving ourselves the means to "check the text" in a way that a hundred parallel English comparisons simply cannot do...

This is how one can know first hand, from the Greek, even using Strong's numbers, what the Greek actually says...

I must say that I did not imagine that this method would prove so controversial... We are only laying out the Greek into a bare bones literal English translation... That should not be controversial...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Arsenios in the hall,

I have found that IF you really do believe that the Verse should be read

or Understood differently, it is wisest to analyze the whole book and especially

the nearby chapters and references in all relevant languages.

The sentence construction, in or out of the "hall", mind you, in the word order of the Greek, UNFOLDS according to the narrative's own particular intent, and this BUILDS across the whole of it, and THEN one can begin the job of relating it to other chapters and books in the Bible... But it is the unfolding of the text that is in view here, how it builds, word by word, precept by precept, event by event...

The only relevant languages are the Christian languages, don't you agree? Only those who are Christians writing in their own languages should be given much weight, yes? Unless you mean the Old Testament, of course... And then we have the Septuagint, translated way more than a century before Christ by the OT Jews themselves into Greek, and in use by the Jews at the time of Christ, that we should retain... The Masoretic text is a post-Christian creation by non-Christian Jews... It's value is thereby very secondary... It is an "outside Christianity" translation into a more "modern" Hebrew by Jews who were NOT friends of Christ...

Arsenios

Then I must profoundly disagree, feared such as this coming on. That a person cannot hear the Word and believe, repent and come to the Lord by the gospel message and receive the Holy Spirit, without water or hands laying and the agency of man, that a person certainly may be born again of the Spirit, then subsequently water baptized as a symbolic confession and obedience, but, the all important point, already be a saved Christian, absent the ceremonial agency of man: if you're saying this is not true, I wholly reject this and would rather just bow out of the conversation. If you're doing a Catholic sort of institutional empowerment of man, requiring man's actions to restrict and complete the spiritual work of God, requiring membership in some boy's club, this is a typical notion of controlling, hierarchical churches, but, I am sorry, not truth. If you don't believe a person could be stranded alone on an island, with just such as the book of Romans, believe and be saved, which means born again of the Holy Spirit and His spiritual work alone, you have another God. You must have the thief on the cross in hell. The Bible puts the lie to works salvation in vivid terms, any work of man. Sorry, I'm done with such.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Good question.

When we translate BY the Holy Spirit, we are giving the agency of the Baptism TO the Holy Spirit - iow It is the Holy Spirit Who is DOING the Baptism...

When we translate IN the Holy Spirit, we are giving the agency of the Baptism TO the one DOING the Baptism IN the Holy Spirit...

The Baptism of Paul of Tarsus by Ananias is a good example. He was struck blind on the road to Damascus by Christ, and led to a room on Right Street there, where he had been fasting for three days... And God came to Ananias to send him to Paul for the purpose of restoring his sight and for giving Paul the Holy Spirit... So he laid hands on Paul, and something like scales fell from his eyes, and he received his sight, and arose... And upon arising, he was baptized BY Ananias, wherein he RECEIVED the Holy Spirit...

Now you can say of this that it was the Power of the Holy Spirit that baptized Paul, and that is true... But it MUST be said that it was Ananias who DID the Baptism of Paul... Who GAVE Paul the Holy Spirit... Because that is what the text tells us... The Baptism was NOT given to PAUL BY the Holy Spirit, but BY Ananias IN the (Power of) the Holy Spirit...

Now the early Church even unto this very day acknowledged the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but except in extreme cases, done at the hands of, eg BY, the Servants of God who were IN the Body of Christ, as Ananias is described baptizing Paul into Christ... But it did not understand the Holy Spirit to be going around baptizing people by Himself, but only at the hands of His Servants in Christ's Holy Body, the People of God, the Ekklesia of Christ...

So it is a distinction having great import... When the Holy Spirit fell upon the Cornelius party at Joppa, only then did Peter baptize them in water into the Body of Christ... Peter, like Ananias, was a Servant of Christ, who baptized into Christ, as was Paul baptized into Christ, by a Servant of Christ within the Body of Christ...

Well, if you believe that it is the Holy Spirit doing "spiritual" baptisms of people into the Body of Christ apart from the Servants of Christ baptizing them, my language will give you pause... But what I am proposing in this exercise with the text is to simply let the text speak for itself, and then let our interpretation of its words speak for OUR selves... A theological discussion can then ensue regarding the meaning and implications of the words of the text that form a basis for the discussion...

I do not think that such sequencing would be honest on my part, nor do I think that doing so would give textual neutrality in translating the words... Textual neutrality in translation is a matter of maintaining literal meanings in English according to Greek sentence structures, and when this is not possible, to show why and do the best one can... This is the only way, apart from fluency in speaking and thinking in Koine Greek, that we can have a textual basis for our diverging opinions on the meaning of the text...

I would be very open, for instance, to anyone ELSE doing what I am doing here, where that would be the purpose of translating... So often now, in arguments, we see translations that are theologically driven, and thereby altered from the Greek to which they are supposed to be faithful... And by doing this, we are giving ourselves the means to "check the text" in a way that a hundred parallel English comparisons simply cannot do...

This is how one can know first hand, from the Greek, even using Strong's numbers, what the Greek actually says...

I must say that I did not imagine that this method would prove so controversial... We are only laying out the Greek into a bare bones literal English translation... That should not be controversial...

Arsenios

Could say a lot but this will do--

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Then I must profoundly disagree, feared such as this coming on. That a person cannot hear the Word and believe, repent and come to the Lord by the gospel message and receive the Holy Spirit, without water or hands laying and the agency of man, that a person certainly may be born again of the Spirit, then subsequently water baptized as a symbolic confession and obedience, but, the all important point, already be a saved Christian, absent the ceremonial agency of man: if you're saying this is not true, I wholly reject this and would rather just bow out of the conversation. If you're doing a Catholic sort of institutional empowerment of man, requiring man's actions to restrict and complete the spiritual work of God, requiring membership in some boy's club, this is a typical notion of controlling, hierarchical churches, but, I am sorry, not truth. If you don't believe a person could be stranded alone on an island, with just such as the book of Romans, believe and be saved, which means born again of the Holy Spirit and His spiritual work alone, you have another God. You must have the thief on the cross in hell. The Bible puts the lie to works salvation in vivid terms, any work of man. Sorry, I'm done with such.

I would not go so far as that.

People get mixed up about God creating by Jesus Christ.

It does not mean Jesus Christ created anything.

LA

Arsenios

You may or may not be able to exegetically derive or refute any or all of your beliefs from the text, but first, we need to establish just what the text states, and this is all that this is about...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Could say a lot but this will do--

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

LA

Does it for me too...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Acts 10:5

Acts 10:5

BYZ – 10:5
και νυν πεμψον εις ιοππην ανδρας
And now sent unto Joppa men

και μεταπεμψαι σιμωνα ος επικαλειται πετρος
and send for Simon who is called Peter

No surprises or difficulties with the text here:

And now send men to to Joppa
and send for Simon who is called Peter.

So Cornelius is to dispatch men to Joppa and to summon Simon Peter...

Arsenios