about Bob's article on absolute or relative time

chair

Whatever. Even noting that all the medical trials leading up to humans is because ultimately you want humans in the experiment. That doesn't prove my point, but it's just a bad example.

If you don't like humans in the experiment, I'm sure the scientists involved in such an experiment would disagree with you. I think you miss the power of "coolness" on scientists.

Scientists like "cool" as much as anyone else. But "cool" is not a scientific reason to do something. And a human personally experiencing something does not give a scientific advantage.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But "cool" is not a scientific reason to do something.
I'll bet a lot of scientists think of creative ways to pitch an idea when they know the real reason they want to do it is because it's cool.

And a human personally experiencing something does not give a scientific advantage.
Depends on what they are experiencing.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Objects can certainly move at higher velocities much easier in lower fields of gravity. So the g forces would not be as strong, obviously. But higher gravity works in the opposite manner, although I'm certain that didn't need to be said.

chair

Objects can certainly move at higher velocities much easier in lower fields of gravity. So the g forces would not be as strong, obviously. But higher gravity works in the opposite manner, although I'm certain that didn't need to be said.

please explain what you mean. maybe bring an example.

Flipper

Objects can certainly move at higher velocities much easier in lower fields of gravity.

Well, this is not technically true (depending on what direction you want to travel), although I think I know what you mean.

But if that were true, NASA would spend a lot of time and money trying to figure out how to avoid the gravity wells of other planets, rather than making use of them to accelerate their planetary probes to higher speeds. This significantly shortens mission times and means the probe can travel further, faster and with less fuel requirements.

Also, it would theoretically be the case that you would be traveling at infinite velocities as you approached the singularity of a black hole. Admittedly, you'd reach these high velocities in the form of a shower of frame-extended particles.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, this is not technically true (depending on what direction you want to travel), although I think I know what you mean.

But if that were true, NASA would spend a lot of time and money trying to figure out how to avoid the gravity wells of other planets, rather than making use of them to accelerate their planetary probes to higher speeds. This significantly shortens mission times and means the probe can travel further, faster and with less fuel requirements.

Also, it would theoretically be the case that you would be traveling at infinite velocities as you approached the singularity of a black hole. Admittedly, you'd reach these high velocities in the form of a shower of frame-extended particles.
Dang, the atheists love bringing up any inane side-track in order to miss the point!

The point, Flipper, is that any practical test upon two entities is going to require one of them to undergo serious acceleration and then the same amount of deceleration.

That acceleration and deceleration is going to add up to a vastly different gravitational environment for one of the entities. This difference must be catered for in any ideas used to explain the observations.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Of course higher gravity would pull on an object, helping to accelerate or propel it. But in order to stay in motion the gravity well must be escaped.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool article that noguru pointed to.

"The simplest way to understand all this "without going crazy," Van Flandern says, is to discard Einsteinian relativity and to assume that "there is a light-carrying medium." When a clock moves through this medium "it takes longer for each electron in the atomic clock to complete its orbit." Therefore it makes fewer "ticks" in a given time than a stationary clock. Moving clocks slow down, in short, because they are "ploughing through this medium and working more slowly." It's not time that slows down. It's the clocks. All the experiments that supposedly "confirm" special relativity do so because all have been conducted in laboratories on the Earth's surface, where every single moving particle, or moving atomic clock, is in fact "ploughing through" the Earth's gravitational field, and therefore slowing down.

Both theories, Einsteinian and local field, would yield the same results"

Memento Mori

Cool article that noguru pointed to.

"The simplest way to understand all this "without going crazy," Van Flandern says, is to discard Einsteinian relativity and to assume that "there is a light-carrying medium." When a clock moves through this medium "it takes longer for each electron in the atomic clock to complete its orbit." Therefore it makes fewer "ticks" in a given time than a stationary clock. Moving clocks slow down, in short, because they are "ploughing through this medium and working more slowly." It's not time that slows down. It's the clocks. All the experiments that supposedly "confirm" special relativity do so because all have been conducted in laboratories on the Earth's surface, where every single moving particle, or moving atomic clock, is in fact "ploughing through" the Earth's gravitational field, and therefore slowing down.

Both theories, Einsteinian and local field, would yield the same results"

Even Einstein described space-time as aether. Of course, he meant it to be far different from the actual theory of aether.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK .. I got a good chuckle out of this. Phy has slowly but surely come around to my way of thinking. This thread was Phy (and others) trying to defend the notion that time can be stretched as if it were a physical thing. When you start suggesting weird, magical things that nobody can see those ideas will creep into normal conversations. Phy, you really should have known better :chuckle:

Your choice of a falling apple and the moon orbiting the earth is instructive, since both of those are governed by exactly the same law. Put the apple at the moon’s orbital distance and speed, and it would follow the path the moon does.

Phy thinks an apple would follow the same orbit as our moon given the same location and velocity.

Would it? I don't think it would. The Earth-moon interplay would not remain as it is were the moon to be replaced with a standard apple, would it?

Stripe disagrees.

replacing the moon with an apple would modify the earth-moon interface, simply because of the enormous change of mass in going from the moon to the apple. But that mass change is already accounted for the Newton’s laws, so as understood from the viewpoint of Newtonian physics, the same laws determine the apple’s orbit as determine the moon’s orbit. There would probably be two significant changes due to an apple moon – the tides would effectively cease, and barring one heck of a good telescope, you wouldn’t see the apple moon in orbit.

Phy demonstrates some knowledge of the physics required to answer the question.

The apple would not retain the same orbit.

Stripe still disagrees.

Don’t understand orbital mechanics very well, do you? Watch an astronaut working outside on a many-ton space station in orbit. When he gently lets a one-ounce tool loose it floats right along in the same orbit as the monstrous structure that it is now totally disconnected from. I will admit that I really thought you understood the difference between the effects of gravity on the two dissimilar types of clocks. But alas, just like Huck Finn’s dad, I suspect the only thing that might keep you from regressing at the first opportunity (or getting dead drunk in the case of Huck’s dad) is a shotgun. The compensation is via relativistic equations, which include distortions in the flow of time.

Phy mocks Stripe's lack of physics training.

My understanding of the physics involved is not as trained as the others, but my impression is that the Earth-Moon system is a dynamic one. That is the Moon is falling toward the Earth and the Earth is also falling toward the Moon. If the Moon were to turn into an apple and retain its velocity then the equations you posted would all skew toward the Earth. Thus the Earth would not fall toward the moon any more and the Moon's orbit would not remain as it is. That sounds a fairly reasonable assumption to me, but I don't have the equations to back it up.

Stripe tries to express his limited understanding of the physics.

Technically you are correct. Though we casually speak of the moon orbiting the earth, in fact both the moon and the earth orbit around their common center of mass. With the moon being a significant sized body, that common center of mass is not at the center of the earth, but some distance towards the moon on the line from the earth’s center to the lunar center.

Phy starts to reconsider his position and looks to soften the blow of possibly being shown up without admitting an error.

But replacing the moon with an apple would just mean the common center of mass of the “earth-apple” system would be a billionth of an inch displaced from the earth’s center, instead of kilometers as it is now. In common parlance (and in scientific literature) the apple would still be orbiting the earth, and at the same distance and speed as the original moon did.

Phy re-asserts his incorrect conclusion.

If the Earth is no longer being pulled toward the Moon then its orbit around the moon will change.

You said the tides would cease, how is that any different from an orbit ceasing?

Stripe asks a pertinent question.

I went here and it seems changing the mass of a planet will affect the orbit. :idunno:

Stripe provides the answer to the question and Phy is shown wrong.

The tides would cease because the apple in the moon’s orbit exerts such a miniscule gravitational attraction back on the earth (Newton’s 3rd law - action-reaction) that it is effectively undetectable. (Technically, a high apple tide might be a hundred thousandth of a human hair thickness in height.)

Phy manages one last response before seeing the writing on the wall (in the link) and strangely vanishes for a few months, until...

... he returns in a biology thread with some attempt to show Stripe up. To which Stripe asks that Phy return to this thread...

I have looked at that post, and reviewed some of the underlying physics. As long as the orbiting body's mass is small in comparison to the body it is orbiting, it will follow, to a high degree, the same orbit as any other body of small mass. As I had pointed out earlier, if an astronaut in earth orbit lets go of an object that is vastly less massive than himself, it will drift right alongside him, even though it may only have one ten-thousandth of his mass. You can see that in the simulation you linked to. It is when the mass of the moon becomes significant when compared to the earth that the orbit is modified significantly by the mass of the big moon.

...where he tries to make it look like this is his only response.

:chuckle:

Pretty funny stuff, Phy. Why could you not just say you were wrong? :)

Memento Mori

Stripe talks about himself in the third person.

MoMo thinks Stripe is even crazier...

Also, always good to see a thread rise from the grave... Especially when it's you arguing with science, Stripe.

ThePhy

OK .. I got a good chuckle out of this. Phy has slowly but surely come around to my way of thinking. This thread was Phy (and others) trying to defend the notion that time can be stretched as if it were a physical thing. When you start suggesting weird, magical things that nobody can see those ideas will creep into normal conversations. Phy, you really should have known better :chuckle:
There is nothing in this thread that says I agree with you on time passing at a constant rate. The posts you extracted above certainly don’t, since they are based on using Newtonian physics. They aren’t even dealing with the effects of time dilation.
... he returns in a biology thread with some attempt to show Stripe up. To which Stripe asks that Phy return to this thread...
It has been interesting watching you point me to this thread over and over, like a dog salivating as he digs where he thinks a bone might be buried.
Pretty funny stuff, Phy. Why could you not just say you were wrong? :)
Wrong about what? Time dilation? Or orbital physics?

As I mentioned in the other thread, communicating with you usually just provides you with fodder for the mockery you revel in. Your post above is a sterling example. I will continue to monitor various threads, but generally I choose not to respond to posts made by you, since they evidence a strong unwillingness to accept contrary data. Other posters, asking similar questions about science I may engage, if it appears they are receptive to ideas differing with their theological biases.

ThePhy

ThePhy,

How would you define time?
I wouldn’t pretend to be able to provide a simplistic definition that would settle all the arguments that were raised in this thread. To be truthful, I really should take some time to read all the thread carefully and see if there are points raised that were in error, or points missed that might have helped clarify things.

With that caveat, let me start by saying that that time is the interval between events. Or at a more fundamental level it is a coordinate that must be specified in addition to the normal 3 coordinates of space to completely specify an event.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I don't care about the rest of the thread. I've not read it either.

Does time exist ontologically or only within a thinking mind? That is, is time an actual thing or an idea?

Based on your answer above it would seem you think it to be the latter, an idea. You said, in so many words, that it is the duration of (or between) events and that it is a mathematical construct, both of which plant it firmly in the category of an abstraction rather than an actual thing. Would you agree with that?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is nothing in this thread that says I agree with you on time passing at a constant rate. The posts you extracted above certainly don’t, since they are based on using Newtonian physics. They aren’t even dealing with the effects of time dilation.

Funny, that. :chuckle:

Wrong about what? Time dilation? Or orbital physics?
Wrong about what we were talking about and what I quoted.

As I mentioned in the other thread, communicating with you usually just provides you with fodder for the mockery you revel in. Your post above is a sterling example. I will continue to monitor various threads, but generally I choose not to respond to posts made by you, since they evidence a strong unwillingness to accept contrary data. Other posters, asking similar questions about science I may engage, if it appears they are receptive to ideas differing with their theological biases.

So . .you were wrong and it's my fault. Gotcha. :thumb: