Abortion Anyone?

drbrumley

As you well know, there are multiple answers to that, depending on what denomination you're talking to. But once a person has been baptized/accepted Christ as personal savior, whether OSAS or predestined or capable or incapable of sin based on their view of grace - they're a Christian. You don't get to take that away from them because in your mind they couldn't possibly be Christian while at the same time getting an abortion. They're Christian if they say they are, and you're unable to read their souls to say otherwise.

The fruit gives them away.....no?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The fruit gives them away.....no?

If that were the litmus, a lot of people on TOL who claim to be Christian - wouldn't be, based on their posts.

Take the OSAS - what do you do about them? Or the 'gospel of grace' people who don't think they can sin?

I'm a baptized Catholic. Even were I to commit a mortal sin like getting an abortion ( I've never had an abortion), I would still be a Catholic Christian, albeit one not in a state of grace.

My point is that if 70% of women getting abortions identify as Christians, then Christians need to quit looking at those getting abortions as 'others' and understand that they need to do far more to help their own fellow believers, and they can start by not shaming them into a secret abortion so they don't have to face their families and their church community. Shame is a very real driver of abortion, take a look at the article I linked to.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok, what makes a christian a christian?

As you well know, there are multiple answers to that, depending on what denomination you're talking to.

i.e. Christianity can be anything that you want it to be.

But once a person has been baptized/accepted Christ as personal savior, whether OSAS or predestined or capable or incapable of sin based on their view of grace - they're a Christian. You don't get to take that away from them because in your mind they couldn't possibly be Christian while at the same time getting an abortion. They're Christian if they say they are, and you're unable to read their souls to say otherwise.

Matthew 7: 15-17

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

How about if you locked a Calvinist, a Catholic, a MADist, a Pentecostal, an ECUSA Episcopalian, a Baptist, a Greek Orthodox, a member of the Emergent Church, and a member of a Community/Non denominational Church in a room and didn't let them out until they reached consensus? (Did I leave out any major group?)

What do you think that consensus would look like?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Interesting verse. Do you believe Trump is a Christian? OR actually pro-life? Personally, I believe he used the label and platform to get elected and continues to use the platform to stay in office.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Exactly. Abortion is always wrong. All pregnant women should be supported ... NEVER shamed. It's one or the other. Shaming promotes abortion.

What if their pregnancy was the result of shameful behavior?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How about a Christian who gets an abortion and then repents of their sin?

Were they a Christian before the abortion, temporarily not a Christian at the time of the abortion, and then a Christian again after they repent? Or do they have to get saved twice? Once before and once after?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What if their fear of your shame caused them to get a secret abortion?

I wonder what's more important ... the opportunity to gleefully shame the mother of an innocent unborn baby ... or the *life and welfare* of that unborn baby. The two cannot co-exist.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Interesting verse. Do you believe Trump is a Christian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=bp73zbYwaqw

OR actually pro-life? Personally, I believe he used the label and platform to get elected and continues to use the platform to stay in office.

According to some, a President can sign legislation that fully funds Planned Parenthood 4 times in his first 14 months as President and still e pro life.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...xuality-MUST-Be-Recriminalized!-Part-5/page24

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How about a Christian who gets an abortion and then repents of their sin?

Were they a Christian before the abortion, temporarily not a Christian at the time of the abortion, and then a Christian again after they repent? Or do they have to get saved twice? Once before and once after?

It doesn't matter. IF the strategy is to shame, by that logic, she should be shamed until the end of time. Her conversion doesn't make her child less dead.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I wonder what's more important ... the opportunity to gleefully shame the mother of an innocent unborn baby ... or the *life and welfare* of that unborn baby. The two cannot co-exist.

All you have to do is read the posts of some of the Christians here to know they'd definitely go for the gleefully shaming.