Abortion-a crying shame. (HOF thread)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Art Deco

You bear the classic signs of a man driven by pride, to judge God rather than allow God to judge you...How sad :(

Not really. I'm judging the Christian idea of God, which is something else altogether.

Art Deco

Originally posted by granite1010

Not really. I'm judging the Christian idea of God, which is something else altogether.
I see, so you judge for yourself that there is no God, but that is not judging God. Okay... :think:

Granite

Hall of Fame

I see, so you judge for yourself that there is no God, but that is not judging God. Okay... :think:

No. I'm agnostic more than anything. Maybe he's there, maybe he's not, but I sincerely doubt he's much like what Christian dogma describes.

Art Deco

No. I'm agnostic more than anything. Maybe he's there, maybe he's not, but I sincerely doubt he's much like what Christian dogma describes.
Would you say that He, (God) would be more like the Torah tradition describes Him?:confused:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
God is a potter, a wise old woman, a rock, a mountain, an eagle, etc., etc. ....

....all according to the Bible.

...maybe that's why there's so many heresy trials. And denominations....

Granite

Hall of Fame

Would you say that He, (God) would be more like the Torah tradition describes Him?:confused:

Not really. I don't care for the idea, but I think deism may be close to the truth.

Art Deco

Not really. I don't care for the idea, but I think deism may be close to the truth.
You know that as soon as you entertain the idea that there is a God, you have crossed into the metaphysical world. At this point you have no grounds for objecting to the existence of any super-natural extraterrestrial being, (angels, archangels, Satan, demons etc.) :angel:

Agape4Robin

aikido7-

quote:"God is a potter, a wise old woman, a rock, a mountain, an eagle,....etc, etc.......all according to the bible."

God is NOT all those things, but he is like them. There is a difference.:rolleyes:

Granite

Hall of Fame

You know that as soon as you entertain the idea that there is a God, you have crossed into the metaphysical world. At this point you have no grounds for objecting to the existence of any super-natural extraterrestrial being, (angels, archangels, Satan, demons etc.) :angel:

Objecting? I dunno. There's more to our lives than meets the eye, sure. As far as angels and demons go, I tend to believe the Christian idea of such entities is probably a crock.

Remember, I'm agnostic: I haven't made my mind up one way or another. I prefer to be skeptical about just about everything I encounter.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Art, tell me something I don't know. I was a five-point Calvinist before my apostasy, you really think Edwards is something new?:rolleyes:
But you've got to admit, he was a heck of a preacher! Try reading some of his stuff out loud, it produces phenomenal effects in those brainwashed by Christian doctrine. ;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath

But you've got to admit, he was a heck of a preacher! Try reading some of his stuff out loud, it produces phenomenal effects in those brainwashed by Christian doctrine. ;)

Oh, very stirring. I would've liked to actually see the guy deliver a sermon.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Oh, very stirring. I would've liked to actually see the guy deliver a sermon.
Agreed! Or Billy Sunday!

I watched an old movie of Peter Marshall actually delivering his holy week sermon once taken back in the 1940's. Very good stuff!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Zakath

Agreed! Or Billy Sunday!

I watched an old movie of Peter Marshall actually delivering his holy week sermon once taken back in the 1940's. Very good stuff!

Mmmm. Good old days. Oral Roberts and Mr. Pat himself don't handle a candle up to the old timers. Gimme some spiderwebs and hellfire, man! At least keep things interesting. Appealing for money would have insulted Edwards and Company. Scare 'em stiff. The Wes Craven of Calvinism, so to speak.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Yes, the "old school" didn't have to appeal for money... the converted widows dumped in the collection box by the bagfull. :greedy:

Art Deco

granite1010 said:
Art, tell me something I don't know. I was a five-point Calvinist before my apostasy, you really think Edwards is something new?:rolleyes:
You're reading it with dead spiritual eyes. I was hoping the fear of God would break through your dearly beloved apostasy. Sorry... :angel:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Art Deco said:
You're reading it with dead spiritual eyes. I was hoping the fear of God would break through your dearly beloved apostasy. Sorry... :angel:
Fear of someone else's imaginary projections isn't either likely or rational for a thinking adult...

Sorry...:angel:

Art Deco

granite1010 said:
Mmmm. Good old days. Oral Roberts and Mr. Pat himself don't handle a candle up to the old timers. Gimme some spiderwebs and hellfire, man! At least keep things interesting. Appealing for money would have insulted Edwards and Company. Scare 'em stiff. The Wes Craven of Calvinism, so to speak.
Jonathan Edwards was a man of deeply held convictions not the pasty faced sensitive types in body hose that inhabit the pulpits of America today. Edwards spoke under the inspiration and authority of the Holy Spirit. His sermons would have driven the casual Christians out of their chapels screaming for relief. Coming under conviction is uncomfortable for most people. :angel:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Art Deco said:
Jonathan Edwards ...sermons would have driven the casual Christians out of their chapels screaming for relief. .... :angel:
Oddly enough, your TOL posts sometimes have a similar effect on readers here...

Makes one wonder... :chuckle: