A symptom rather than a cause?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

A New World is Dawning — And the US Will No Longer Lead It
President Trump is criticized for wreaking havoc on the international order, where the US was the established leader. But Trump is simply hastening a change that has been a long time coming.

From pulling out of treaties to denigrating allies to starting trade wars, the impulsive actions of President Donald Trump are upending the international order that has been in place since the end of World War II.

But even before Trump’s belligerent foreign policy positions, America had been gradually losing its dominant role in world affairs.

A power shift among the nations of the world began at the end of the Cold War and has been accelerating this century.

https://www.alternet.org/new-world-dawning-and-us-will-no-longer-lead-it

A weak, self-absorbed president with a venial and incompetent Congress. Here we go.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

A New World is Dawning — And the US Will No Longer Lead It
President Trump is criticized for wreaking havoc on the international order, where the US was the established leader. But Trump is simply hastening a change that has been a long time coming.

From pulling out of treaties to denigrating allies to starting trade wars, the impulsive actions of President Donald Trump are upending the international order that has been in place since the end of World War II.

But even before Trump’s belligerent foreign policy positions, America had been gradually losing its dominant role in world affairs.

A power shift among the nations of the world began at the end of the Cold War and has been accelerating this century.

https://www.alternet.org/new-world-dawning-and-us-will-no-longer-lead-it

A weak, self-absorbed president with a venial and incompetent Congress. Here we go.

Key word: gradual. It's not surprising to consider the rise of China and India affecting the global balance of power, but a gradual shift is one thing.

The catastrophic accelerant that is Trump could have been avoided.

Trump threatens Harley-Davidson with taxes ‘like never before’ and predicts its eventual collapse

President Trump on Tuesday threatened the iconic motorcycle company Harley-Davidson with severe taxes and predicted a public revolt that he said would eventually put the 115-year-old firm out of business, blasting the Wisconsin company for a plan to move some operations outside the United States as a way to avoid getting caught in the middle of an escalating trade war.

eider

Would it shock so badly if I suggested that this kind of war is not so bad as some kinds?

1. A larger % of nations will be drawn more closely together.
2. Nations will take more care of, and value, inter-trading to a higher degree than before.
3. People will take more interest in, and more part in elections than before, wherever they live.
4. This kind of war sure beats the bombs and bullets kind.

And if cannabis legislation is repealed across the USA, other countries might follow suit. The UK is already relaxing legislation slightly, for the sake of medical benefits, out of the blue!

One thing about President Trump that is most unusual, he may well be prepared to bulldose legislation and repeals where previous politicians feared to tread. And he may well make decisions where Republicans neither dared nor cared to go........ :idunno:

.... and he does take note of public opinion......... that's been shown in recent days.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trump threatens Harley-Davidson with taxes ‘like never before’ and predicts its eventual collapse

5979120.jpg

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!​

President Trump on Tuesday threatened the iconic motorcycle company Harley-Davidson with severe taxes and predicted a public revolt

(and you know he's learned a lot about public revolts, lately)

that he said would eventually put the 115-year-old firm out of business, blasting the Wisconsin company for a plan to move some operations outside the United States as a way to avoid getting caught in the middle of an escalating trade war.

First of many, if this idiot policy of trade war is implemented.

And the targets of Trump's "easy to win" trade wars are targeting states where Trump is most popular for retaliation. Poetic injustice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And if cannabis legislation is repealed across the USA, other countries might follow suit. The UK is already relaxing legislation slightly, for the sake of medical benefits, out of the blue!

Then everyone can get high all the time and not notice the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. No one will be sober enough to notice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Key word: gradual. It's not surprising to consider the rise of China and India affecting the global balance of power, but a gradual shift is one thing.

The catastrophic accelerate that is Trump could have been avoided.

President Trump on Tuesday threatened the iconic motorcycle company Harley-Davidson with severe taxes and predicted a public revolt that he said would eventually put the 115-year-old firm out of business, blasting the Wisconsin company for a plan to move some operations outside the United States as a way to avoid getting caught in the middle of an escalating trade war.

We should have never came to policing the world after WWII.

An inept president for a inept country. I mean they, the people voted for him, right?

Briton learned to deal with it, so can we.

What we will remain for some tine is the most developed economy, at least for the next few decades.

This does not mean the standard of living for the general population will remain high and, in fact, has been falling for sometime.

Danoh

5979120.jpg

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!​

(and you know he's learned a lot about public revolts, lately)

First of many, if this idiot policy of trade war is implemented.

And the targets of Trump's "easy to win" trade wars are targeting states where Trump is most popular for retaliation. Poetic injustice.

Ten to one, President Eat Crow will soon end up having to back down on Harley also.

Danoh

"A New World is Dawning — And the US Will No Longer Lead It?"

I have every confidence we'll bounce back.

Once more...

Bouncing back is built into the very fabric of what makes us so unique a country.

One more reason I just love our United States of America!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"A New World is Dawning — And the US Will No Longer Lead It?"

I have every confidence we'll bounce back.

Once more...

Bouncing back is built into the very fabric of what makes us so unique a country.

One more reason I just love our United States of America!

I love this country too... but I don't share your optimism.

I keep trying not to catastrophize - but finding it difficult not to.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love this country too... but I don't share your optimism.

I did ... prior to January 2017 ...

I keep trying not to catastrophize - but finding it difficult not to.

Our country use to be the best in the world ... but no more. I am not certain that we can come back from this unless something changes dramatically such as majorities in the House and Senate with Mueller's completed report as the cherry on top.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I did ... prior to January 2017 ...

Yeah... before the rise of American fascism.

Our country use to be the best in the world ... but no more. I am not certain that we can come back from this unless something changes dramatically such as majorities in the House and Senate with Mueller's completed report as the cherry on top.

I made a thread here once, long since purged, asking about American exceptionalism. That was before MAGA/America First/America Alone. Little did we know...

Danoh

eider

Then everyone can get high all the time and not notice the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. No one will be sober enough to notice.

I guess that's what the skeptics shouted when common sense eventually prevailed and the alcohol ban was repealed in the USA.

chair

I don't follow why this is a "Trump issue". Obama weakened the US internationally- that is a clear part of his legacy.

Danoh

I guess that's what the skeptics shouted when common sense eventually prevailed and the alcohol ban was repealed in the USA.

Ironicly, it was Gorbachev's liquor ban that resulted in the rise in the great financial power of Russian Organized Crime that now controls the Russian government.

Not to mention, that resulted in the hundreds of millions of dollars passed between them and Trump in all kinds of shady Real Estate deals with him, the sole purpose of which was money laundering.

No doubt about it - they have him by the cojones.

chair

He formed a coalition with many other nations that ended Iran's nuclear weapons program. But he was speaking for all of them in demanding that it end. Even Russia followed his lead.

Now, Putin tells Trump what to do.

Obama let Syria get out of control. And that Iran deal had nothing going for it, except that it could be called "a deal".

Not that I am a fan of Trump.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

A major part of the temperance movement were women’s activist groups (Women’s Christian Temperance Union) and religious organizations. Susan B. Anthony and Carrie Nation, prominent feminists, were strong supporters of the movement. Many women supported temperance and Prohibition because they had been personally impacted by alcoholism—-a husband, son, or other male relative was an alcoholic. Alcohol was also blamed for a good many societal woes—-unemployment, crime, and health problems.

Women having the vote made some in congress to force the 18th amendment and Volstead act. Before this, use of alcohol was legal and commonly accepted as a beverage among many cultures.

What cultures have a history of accepting the use of Marijuana?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Obama let Syria get out of control.

Assad let Syria get out of control. he had it, and then it got away from Him. The United States never had control of Syria.

And that Iran deal had nothing going for it, except that it could be called "a deal".

If by "deal" you mean: "We'll return your money to you, and let you sell oil again, if you end your nuclear weapons program. Deal?"

Iran, for a long time ignored the pressure, but caved in the end. And Obama's coalition won.

chair

Assad let Syria get out of control. he had it, and then it got away from Him. The United States never had control of Syria.

If by "deal" you mean: "We'll return your money to you, and let you sell oil again, if you end your nuclear weapons program. Deal?"

Iran, for a long time ignored the pressure, but caved in the end. And Obama's coalition won.

Remember Obama's "red line" on the use of chemical weapon's in Syria? If you make a threat, and don't carry through, you lose credibility.

And that Iran deal- are you aware of the details? It doesn't mean Iran ends their nuclear program. It means that Iran takes a break from their program for a few years. That is classic kicking the can down the road. Very effective- ask any North Korean.