A Suggestion For The Republican Party

genuineoriginal

I don't like abortion any more than you do. But the fact is that I, and the scientific community, don't really know for certain when a fetus turns into a baby. It might be conception, and it might be when they're born. We just don't know yet.
We have more technology now to discover that answer.
It would be prudent to stop all abortions until the answer has been settled, wouldn't you agree?

Because of that, I can't really fault the Democratic Party statement above. I disagree with it but that's just my opinion and nothing more.
That quote was not from the Democratic Party, it was from the Democrats that support infanticide under the name of "after-birth abortion".

Regardless of the fetus' humanity, it is still a living thing. I find it ironic that the same people who obsess over animal rights, like PETA, are the same people who strongly support abortion. Even if it isn't human, it's alive. If you are appalled by a dog being shot by its owner, it would be consistent for you to also be appalled by a fetus being killed
Yes, that is a good point.

MarcATL

Abortion is an important issue to many republicans. The official party statement is no abortion period (even in case of rape). I think it would be reasonable, if you demand your candidate be against abortion in all cases period, they should have to call and tell a woman who is pregnant because of rape that they intend to force her to carry the baby to term and that they will do whatever they can to ensure no government assistance is available if they are against government assistance. Politicians should speak loudly and clearly about their policies.

If they want to ban abortion in case of danger to the mother, they should have to publicly tell a mother that they intend to ensure that she will die so that the baby can be born even if the baby will only live for a few hours. Oh, and then explain it all to any children she already has and then make a call to the husband if there is one. If this what you believe, you should be more than happy to make that call and look long and hard at what you're doing.

I think politicians should speak loudly and clearly about their policies. I think both parties need to insist that their leaders speak with the very people who they want to enforce laws on rather than just speaking from a podium where it's easier to ignore the humanity of what they want to do.
I think this is a good idea. A VERY good idea!

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
It would be prudent to stop all abortions until the answer has been settled, wouldn't you agree?

Not exactly, no. I'll always be in favor of giving a rape victim the option to terminate and also if the mother's life is in jeopardy. And there isn't really a realistic way to eliminate abortion as of right now. Any bill doing as much would never get through congress. The only real solution is to leave things more or less how they are until a definitive answer on fetal personhood is found and agreed upon

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Life is cheap these days. The .1 percent that controls the wealth in the world couldn't care less about abortion or even your life or mine. Don't you realize we exterminated more than 1 million people in Iraq?

genuineoriginal

Not exactly, no. I'll always be in favor of giving a rape victim the option to terminate
Punish the child for the father's crimes?

and also if the mother's life is in jeopardy.
With the goal being the death of the child, rather than the attempt to save both lives where possible?

And there isn't really a realistic way to eliminate abortion as of right now. Any bill doing as much would never get through congress.
Congress is so corrupt that there is no chance of getting any anti-abortion bill through?

The only real solution is to leave things more or less how they are until a definitive answer on fetal personhood is found and agreed upon
Yes, we need to define when the offspring of two humans becomes a "real" human.

genuineoriginal

Didn't you already state that the official stance of the Republican party IS that there should be no abortion, period?
You don't read good. (moron)
I said, "The official Republican party platform is pro-life, but the actions of the Republican party show they are really pro-abortion."
I did not state that "the official stance of the Republican party IS that there should be no abortion, period."

There is a big difference between having a pro-life platform and claiming that there should be no abortion, period.

The pro-life platform of the Republican party is this:
_____
The Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life

Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children. We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion or fund organizations which perform or advocate it and will not fund or subsidize health care which includes abortion coverage. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from people with disabilities, including newborns, as well as the elderly and infirm, just as we oppose active and passive euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Republican leadership has led the effort to prohibit the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion and permitted States to extend health care coverage to children before birth. We urge Congress to strengthen the Born Alive Infant Protection Act by enacting appropriate civil and criminal penalties on healthcare providers who fail to provide treatment and care to an infant who survives an abortion, including early induction delivery where the death of the infant is intended. We call for legislation to ban sex-selective abortions – gender discrimination in its most lethal form – and to protect from abortion unborn children who are capable of feeling pain; and we applaud U.S. House Republicans for leading the effort to protect the lives of pain-capable unborn children in the District of Columbia. We call for a ban on the use of body parts from aborted fetuses for research. We support and applaud adult stem cell research to develop lifesaving therapies, and we oppose the killing of embryos for their stem cells. We oppose federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

We also salute the many States that have passed laws for informed consent, mandatory waiting periods prior to an abortion, and health-protective clinic regulation. We seek to protect young girls from exploitation through a parental consent requirement; and we affirm our moral obligation to assist, rather than penalize, women challenged by an unplanned pregnancy. We salute those who provide them with counseling and adoption alternatives and empower them to choose life, and we take comfort in the tremendous increase in adoptions that has followed Republican legislative initiatives.
_____​

In other words, the Republican party's position on abortion is the "pro-life" position, which is political double-speak that means:
  • If you pay for it without using government money, then you can kill the baby.
  • if you do it without allowing an intact baby to put an arm or leg through the birth canal, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you make sure you kill the baby inside the womb, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you are not doing it because of the gender of the baby, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you give the baby anesthesia, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you are not doing it to harvest the stem cells, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you wait a short while first, then you can kill the baby.
  • If your parents give permission, then you can kill the baby.

That is much different than stating there should be no abortion, period.

Why are you being deceitful?
I was not misrepresenting the Republican party.

MarcATL

You don't read good. (moron)
I said, "The official Republican party platform is pro-life, but the actions of the Republican party show they are really pro-abortion."
I did not state that "the official stance of the Republican party IS that there should be no abortion, period."

There is a big difference between having a pro-life platform and claiming that there should be no abortion, period.

The pro-life platform of the Republican party is this:
_____
The Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life

Faithful to the “self-evident” truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children. We oppose using public revenues to promote or perform abortion or fund organizations which perform or advocate it and will not fund or subsidize health care which includes abortion coverage. We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from people with disabilities, including newborns, as well as the elderly and infirm, just as we oppose active and passive euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Republican leadership has led the effort to prohibit the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion and permitted States to extend health care coverage to children before birth. We urge Congress to strengthen the Born Alive Infant Protection Act by enacting appropriate civil and criminal penalties on healthcare providers who fail to provide treatment and care to an infant who survives an abortion, including early induction delivery where the death of the infant is intended. We call for legislation to ban sex-selective abortions – gender discrimination in its most lethal form – and to protect from abortion unborn children who are capable of feeling pain; and we applaud U.S. House Republicans for leading the effort to protect the lives of pain-capable unborn children in the District of Columbia. We call for a ban on the use of body parts from aborted fetuses for research. We support and applaud adult stem cell research to develop lifesaving therapies, and we oppose the killing of embryos for their stem cells. We oppose federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

We also salute the many States that have passed laws for informed consent, mandatory waiting periods prior to an abortion, and health-protective clinic regulation. We seek to protect young girls from exploitation through a parental consent requirement; and we affirm our moral obligation to assist, rather than penalize, women challenged by an unplanned pregnancy. We salute those who provide them with counseling and adoption alternatives and empower them to choose life, and we take comfort in the tremendous increase in adoptions that has followed Republican legislative initiatives.
_____​

In other words, the Republican party's position on abortion is the "pro-life" position, which is political double-speak that means:
  • If you pay for it without using government money, then you can kill the baby.
  • if you do it without allowing an intact baby to put an arm or leg through the birth canal, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you make sure you kill the baby inside the womb, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you are not doing it because of the gender of the baby, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you give the baby anesthesia, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you are not doing it to harvest the stem cells, then you can kill the baby.
  • If you wait a short while first, then you can kill the baby.
  • If your parents give permission, then you can kill the baby.

That is much different than stating there should be no abortion, period.

I was not misrepresenting the Republican party.
Okay, I'll give you that one.

shagster01

Abortion is an important issue to many republicans. The official party statement is no abortion period (even in case of rape). I think it would be reasonable, if you demand your candidate be against abortion in all cases period, they should have to call and tell a woman who is pregnant because of rape that they intend to force her to carry the baby to term and that they will do whatever they can to ensure no government assistance is available if they are against government assistance. Politicians should speak loudly and clearly about their policies.

If they want to ban abortion in case of danger to the mother, they should have to publicly tell a mother that they intend to ensure that she will die so that the baby can be born even if the baby will only live for a few hours. Oh, and then explain it all to any children she already has and then make a call to the husband if there is one. If this what you believe, you should be more than happy to make that call and look long and hard at what you're doing.

I think politicians should speak loudly and clearly about their policies. I think both parties need to insist that their leaders speak with the very people who they want to enforce laws on rather than just speaking from a podium where it's easier to ignore the humanity of what they want to do.

Not all Republicans believe 100% in the same thing. Same for democrats. It's stupid and naïve to pretend they do. That is why there are primaries.

TrakeM

Not all Republicans believe 100% in the same thing. Same for democrats. It's stupid and naïve to pretend they do. That is why there are primaries.
True, and I'm not saying they all do. I'm saying those that do should make the call and look long and hard at the humanity of what they are doing and do so publicly so we all see where everyone stands.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
This is absolutely ridiculous . The Democratic party does nto support killing infants who have been born, period . Anyone who says it does is either deluded or a liar .
This is just a straw man anyway, since the overwheolming majority of abortions happen in the first trimester, long before a fetus has developed a nervous system in order to feel pain .
The Democrats want to PREVENT as many abortions as possible - by making sure contraceptives are always easy to obtain and making sure that if a woman is pregnant , she will be able to provide for that child once born and any other children she may have .
But the Republicans pay absolutely no attention to the adverse social and economic conditions in America which CAUSE women to have abortions in the first place . They don't care about a fetus once it's
out of the womb . They never think beyond this and are too dense to realize that making abortion illegal again while allowing the GOP to foment its posionous agenda - denying help to the poor and poor pregnant women, getting rid of programs to provide BORN children with good nutrition and good education, denying pre natal care to poor pregnant women etc , will do nothing but cause the abortion rate to SKYROCKET !
And they're too hypocritical to support the rights of fetuses that grow up to be gay . If you're in the womb, they LOOOOOVE you .
But once you're out of the birth canal, it's "You're on your own, kid ."