A look at 1 Kings 3:15-4:1 and Matt 16: 1-17:27

BenAvraham

1 KINGS 3:15-4:1

In this scripture portion, we see Solomon lifting up “burnt offerings” and “peace-offerings” after also having “dreams” In his dream YHVH asked him what he wished for, “For wisdom, an understanding heart to judge these people” and YHVH thus granted him what he wished for.

This should be a guide for us when we wish for things. I think the best wish would be knowledge of the Torah and wisdom to put into action what we learn from God's Holy Writ. As we see. God gave Solomon that and more. I think that God already knows what we wish for. There are a lot of things I guess we could say that "we want". However, do we really need them? Sometimes, God will give us what we WANT, yet, when we get our wish answered, we don't WANT what we GET. It proves to be a headache more than a blessing.

God listens to all prayers, and He answers all prayer requests. There are needs and wants. He always provides for our needs, and at times, even our "wants" Yet be careful, we might "want" the wrong things. The things that are not convenient to us. If God asked you "What do you want me to do for you or give to you?" How would you answer? Many look at God as the "Upstairs Genie in the magic lamp" who will grant your every wish and desire. Nothing doing! He is our Heavenly Father who knows EXACTLY" what we need, and what we want. To fulfill His plan for our lives here on earth, He will do accordingly. Solomon asked for the right thing; "wisdom to govern the people of Israel". Maybe we could ask for "wisdom to put into action what we learn from God's Holy Writ, and wisdom to serve those around us. How about, "Keep me from harm's way and protect my mind from carnal desires. (I guess the list could go on)

” Burnt offerings” symbolize our sinful nature, and the “peace offerings” speak of our happiness and joy because of our salvation experience. Today these offerings are “offered up” in “prayer and thanksgiving” The prayers of confession of sin are always heard, and so are the prayers of praise and thanksgiving, because we know we have been forgiven.

MATT 16: 1-17:27

The “leaven” of the Pharisees is non-the less “unbelief” as Yeshua said, this reminds us of when He was visiting the temple during this same time of Hanukkah, and the Jews came around him and said; “tell us plainly if you are the Messiah or not!” yet He rebukes them saying “I have already told you and you do not believe!” He had already given signs through his miracles of healing, and raising of the dead, how much more proof did they need? What does “leaven” do in bread? It “puffs up the bread” and that is what pride does, it “puffs up”the person, and sometimes, stubborn pride brings on unbelief.

Kefa exhibits his faith when he says; “You are Messiah, the Living God” Faith is “believing what we cannot see” Yet Kefa sees Yeshua and sees the miracles, and so he believes, yet Yeshua says later on after the resurrection, “You have believed because you see, blessed are those who do not see yet BELIEVE!

1 CORINTHIANS 2:1-5

Rav Shaul (The Apostle Paul) is speaking to the local believers of Corinth. This was one of the churches that this Rav started. I was in Corinth in 1999. He is stating very simply that he witnessed about Yeshua very plainly, without fancy words, without an intense religious vocabulary, just simply, “Yeshua died on the cross, was crucified for our transgressions, for our sins He gave up his life.”

When we tell others about Yeshua, we should do it not by force but by invitation. Not in a condemning way, not using scare “fires of hell” tactics, just a message of love and sacrifice. Thus we can allow the Spirit of God to work on the person, It is the Holy Spirit who opens the hearts of unbelievers so that they may become believers. Not our work, but HIS work.

Have a blessed week. (Shavua Tov)

Ben Avraham

(1970) Two young teens search for the meaning in life, 26 years later, they found each other, (me and the Mrs.)
IMG_E1083.JPG