A Covenant of the People !

beloved57

Isa 42:6

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

What does God mean here ? Who is being spoken of ? Why its the Lord Jesus Christ the last Adam, the second man 1 Cor 15. As the first Adam stood as a covenant head for all who representatively were in his loins, so likewise, in the same manner, the Last Adam, the second man, when He cameon the seen, did so as the Covenant Head for all who representatively in His Spiritual Loins, which would be His Body the Church, for whom He is specifically designated its Head Eph 5:23

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Col 1:18

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

And it should be pointed out in Isa 42:6 that this covenant headship includes the gentiles "and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;" Some of them would partake of the benefits of His Covenant headship undertakings.

We have a few of those benefits listed in Vs 7 of Isa 42

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

As to opening the eyes of the blind, we see that fulfilled in Acts 26:18 statement

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

If Christ was our covenant head when He was made of women under the law, and died for our sins, there will come a time in our lives that He will open our blind eyes, and turn us from darkness to light !

beloved57

Christ has been of God made a Covenant of the people. Not all people, but the people, and not just jews but unto the gentiles as well. As their Covenant Head, there are specific blessings He must perform unto them. We see some of these blessings such as opening the blind eyes. This is not physical blindness, but spiritual blindness, which all have by nature, we are like the blind man born blind Jn 9:1-3

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

As you know Jesus opened up this mans eyes ! This was a picture of what Christ came to do for His People spiritually.

Also being made a Covenant pf the people He was to :

to bring out the prisoners from the prison, John Gill writes:

to bring out the prisoners from the prison; who were concluded in sin, shut up in unbelief, and under the law, the captives of Satan, and held fast prisoners by him and their own lusts, under the dominion of which they were:
and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. This probably refers moreso to the gentiles who sat in spiritual darkness , but it may also apply to jews who sat in darkness spiritually, even though they had the law.

Lk 1:78-79

78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

beloved57

Another Salvaic Blessing for those Christ designated a Covenant for is a spiritual resurrection, and a spiritual restoration unto God Isa 49:6

6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

This means Christ will raise up people to life and establish them spiritually. The words raise up in Isa 49:6 has the same word qûm used in Vs 8 which is translated establish

8 Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;

But also in Vs 6 the Covenant Head is to restore. The word means:

shub:

to turn back, return

He returns back to God a preserved remnant. Peter writes on that here 1 Pet 2:25

For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Note from J. Gill:

but are now returned; not returned themselves, but were returned by powerful and efficacious grace: saints are passive, and not active in first conversion; they are turned, not by the power of their own free will, but by the power of God's free grace; they are returned under the illuminations and quickenings of the blessed Spirit, and through the efficacious drawings of the Father's love, unto Christ:

Now though these things seem to refer only to jews, it doesnt, it refers to gentiles also, for Christ is the Covenant Head of His Church, comprised of believing jews and Gentiles.

marke

Christ has been of God made a Covenant of the people. Not all people, but the people, and not just jews but unto the gentiles as well. As their Covenant Head, there are specific blessings He must perform unto them. We see some of these blessings such as opening the blind eyes. This is not physical blindness, but spiritual blindness, which all have by nature, we are like the blind man born blind Jn 9:1-3

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

As you know Jesus opened up this mans eyes ! This was a picture of what Christ came to do for His People spiritually.

Also being made a Covenant pf the people He was to :

to bring out the prisoners from the prison, John Gill writes:

and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. This probably refers moreso to the gentiles who sat in spiritual darkness , but it may also apply to jews who sat in darkness spiritually, even though they had the law.

Lk 1:78-79

78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.
God speaks to the blind and they respond, while still blind. Jesus did not have to heal their blindness before they could hear God and reason with Him.

Mark 10:51
And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight.