ECT A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ

I.S.I.T.

The word “Christian” by definition is a follower of Jesus Christ, which means a follower of Jesus Christs teachings. Notice the word Christian in 1 Peter 4:16…

Yet G1161 if G1487 any man suffer as G5613 a Christian, G5546 let him G153 G0 not G3361 be ashamed; G153 but G1161 let him glorify G1392 God G2316 on G1722 this G5129 behalf. G3313

The word Christian G5546 is defined as Χριστιανός Christianós, khris-tee-an-os'; from G5547; a Christian, i.e. follower of Christ:—Christian.

But many who proclaim themselves to be “Christians” are not really “followers” of Jesus Christs teachings. As a matter of fact many of them proclaim Jesus’ teachings and sayings were not for them to follow, but only to the Jews.

They say phrases like “All of the Bible is for us but not all of the Bible is written to us.” And they also go on to teach that Jesus and the Apostles before Paul taught a works based gospel message for salvation, and that it was not until Paul became a Christian that the body of Christ first began, and the message of grace as finally being taught.

So in effect they disregard the very words of Jesus Christ and all the other apostles as being “legalism” or “works based”. And by disregarding and by not keeping the commands, words, and sayings of Jesus Christ, they are in Truth not really “followers” of Jesus Christ and His teachings, therefore by definition they are not truly “Christians”.

This shows by their own confession they are not really “followers” of Jesus Christ and His teachings. To follow Jesus Christ and his teachings, commands, and sayings is action word, as to follow and to keep, and to do God’s will, as is an act of obedience by a servant of Jesus Christ.

Jesus says to follow me, to do the will of His Father, to keep His words, commandments, and sayings. This is repeated over and over again by the words of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:24 “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 8:15 “But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.”

Luke 11:28 “But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

John 14:23 “Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

John 14:24 “He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.”

I.S.I.T.

More scriptural proof.....

1 John 2:5 “But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

John 14:15 “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”

John 14:21 “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”

John 15:10 “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.”

John 8:51 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”

John 8:55 “Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

John 15:20 “Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The word “Christian” by definition is a follower of Jesus Christ, which means a follower of Jesus Christs teachings. Notice the word Christian in 1 Peter 4:16…

Yet G1161 if G1487 any man suffer as G5613 a Christian, G5546 let him G153 G0 not G3361 be ashamed; G153 but G1161 let him glorify G1392 God G2316 on G1722 this G5129 behalf. G3313

The word Christian G5546 is defined as Χριστιανός Christianós, khris-tee-an-os'; from G5547; a Christian, i.e. follower of Christ:—Christian.

But many who proclaim themselves to be “Christians” are not really “followers” of Jesus Christs teachings. As a matter of fact many of them proclaim Jesus’ teachings and sayings were not for them to follow, but only to the Jews.

They say phrases like “All of the Bible is for us but not all of the Bible is written to us.” And they also go on to teach that Jesus and the Apostles before Paul taught a works based gospel message for salvation, and that it was not until Paul became a Christian that the body of Christ first began, and the message of grace as finally being taught.

So in effect they disregard the very words of Jesus Christ and all the other apostles as being “legalism” or “works based”. And by disregarding and by not keeping the commands, words, and sayings of Jesus Christ, they are in Truth not really “followers” of Jesus Christ and His teachings, therefore by definition they are not truly “Christians”.

This shows by their own confession they are not really “followers” of Jesus Christ and His teachings. To follow Jesus Christ and his teachings, commands, and sayings is action word, as to follow and to keep, and to do God’s will, as is an act of obedience by a servant of Jesus Christ.

Jesus says to follow me, to do the will of His Father, to keep His words, commandments, and sayings. This is repeated over and over again by the words of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:24 “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 8:15 “But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.”

Luke 11:28 “But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

John 14:23 “Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

John 14:24 “He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.”

Excellent post.

It is far better to be a Christian than it is to be a paulin.(a saulin)

I.S.I.T.

Alright, I will make this discussion easy for the followers of this MAD group. I already gave scriptural support in my first 2 posts to prove my point that Jesus said to follow, do, and keep his sayings, commands and teachings. Now here is a quote from a MAD follower who says....

We do not follow, obey, keep these teachings and commands of Jesus Christ.

Now you MAD guys give me scriptural confirmation where Jesus or any of the apostles, including Paul, said not to follow,obey, or keep the teachings of Jesus Christ. It is a simple request to prove all things by the words of God. Happy hunting!:wave:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alright, I will make this discussion easy for the followers of this MAD group. I already gave scriptural support in my first 2 posts to prove my point that Jesus said to follow, do, and keep his sayings, commands and teachings. Now here is a quote from a MAD follower who says....

Now you MAD guys give me scriptural confirmation where Jesus or any of the apostles, including Paul, said not to follow,obey, or keep the teachings of Jesus Christ. It is a simple request to prove all things by the words of God. Happy hunting!:wave:

Still waiting on how you are doing with this command of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:20 KJV
(20) Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

I.S.I.T.

Still waiting on how you are doing with this command of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:20 KJV
(20) Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

That command was to them that were present with Jesus at that time, as that command was also limited in time, as we know later Jesus would tell his disciples with Him to go out and preach the gospel to all nations.

Notice in the other accounts it does not say all his disciples (as for all time) but only those who were with Him at the present, by referring to them.

Mark 8:29-30 "And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.30 And he charged them that they should tell no man of him."

Luke 9:20-21 "He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.21 And he straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing;"

You need to look at the context and to whom Jesus was talking to at that time, plus use a little common sense because Jesus is not going to contradict Himself and tell all His disciples to never preach He was the Christ for all time, that would be ridiculous. :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That command was to them that were present with Jesus at that time, as that command was also limited in time, as we know later Jesus would tell his disciples with Him to go out and preach the gospel to all nations.
Well, I'll be darn!
Not all of the commands of Jesus Christ are directed to everyone for all time.
Exactly what MAD teaches.

We (including you) don't obey that command of Jesus Christ.

I.S.I.T.

Well, I'll be darn!
Not all of the commands of Jesus Christ are directed to everyone for all time.
Exactly what MAD teaches.

We (including you) don't obey that command of Jesus Christ.

You are straining at a gnat there in order to swallow the whole MAD camel. I do obey the teachings of Jesus Christ, but you guys confess openly that you do not follow the commands, sayings, and teachings of Jesus Christ. You are just trying to make up excuses for not following His commands by nit picking and misrepresenting who Jesus was talking to at that time in those verses. Who in the world would think Jesus was telling all His disciples for all time not to tell anyone He was the Christ? How silly can one be to even suggest that?

I.S.I.T.

We do not follow, obey, keep these teachings and commands of Jesus Christ.

Still waiting for scriptural proof! Hello! :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are straining at a gnat there in order to swallow the whole MAD camel.
Whom do you think you are fooling with that absurd comment?

I do obey the teachings of Jesus Christ,
Obviously not all of them.

but you guys confess openly that you do not follow the commands, sayings, and teachings of Jesus Christ.
So do you when you are shown a command of Jesus Christ and then openly confess that you do not follow it.

See how that works?

You are just trying to make up excuses for not following His commands by nit picking and misrepresenting who Jesus was talking to at that time in those verses.
You are just trying to make up excuses of why you also do not follow all the commands of Christ.

I show you a command of Jesus Christ.
You say you do not have to follow it.
That's exactly what I said.

Who in the world would think Jesus was telling all His disciples for all time not to tell anyone He was the Christ? How silly can one be to even suggest that?
Some idiot that tells folks they should obey all of Christ's commands.