40% of US renters facing eviction

Gary K

Banned
Since millions of people lost their jobs due to lockdowns many people haven't been able to pay their rent. And now the moratorium on evictions is set to expire this week. The result is that 4 out of every ten renters is facing eviction because that is how many renters haven't been able to pay their rent. What we are going to see is a massive increase in homelessness unless Democrats and Republicans agree to keep jobbing the landlords who are also struggling to pay their bills.

The eviction moratorium expired last Friday nearly four months after the US economy effectively shutdown due to the covid pandemic, and more than 12 million renters - all behind on rent payments because of the virus-induced recession - are now at imminent risk of getting booted to the curb.

This Friday, some 25 million Americans will no longer receive their weekly $600 federal unemployment checks, and the next round of government handouts, currently discussed by Republicans and Democrats, could see benefits slashed from $600 to $200 (or be nothing at all if no deal is reached in Congress). This would crush household finances across middle-class America, resulting in an even higher number of households unable to pay their rent bill in the months ahead.

That said, Trump's top economic advisor Larry Kudlow, who has religiously pumped stocks with meaningless headlines any time the S&P is even barely in the red, recently said an extension for the eviction moratorium program could be seen. But what if there isn't one?

In late July, more than 31 million Americans collected unemployment benefits of some form. The economic recovery reversed in late June, as the next crisis among households looms.
“It’s like nothing we’ve ever seen,” said John Pollock, coordinator of the National Coalition for a Civil Right to Counsel.​
In 2016, there were 2.3 million evictions, Pollock said.
“There could be that many evictions in August,” he said.​

The rest of this article can be found here.

Just another one of those times in which "i shot my mouth off". Well, here comes the fulfillment of my prediction.

Hilltrot

Reminds me of the silly poll which said that 80% of U.S. children are starving. The actual poll question which led them to that stat was,

"Have you ever opened the refrigerator and not seen something you would like to eat?" If the kid answered yes, they must be starving.

Use some sense. The numbers mentioned in the fake-news article are bogus.

Gary K

Banned
Reminds me of the silly poll which said that 80% of U.S. children are starving. The actual poll question which led them to that stat was,

"Have you ever opened the refrigerator and not seen something you would like to eat?" If the kid answered yes, they must be starving.

Use some sense. The numbers mentioned in the fake-news article are bogus.

LOL. So you're saying the government lies to us on a regular basis. How does that make you feel about your ideology which bases all of its ideas on faith in government? That government is the one who knows all, makes no mistakes, and we are all supposed to surrender our consciences to government.

All those numbers come from government statistics. The article is not an opinion poll. But, that won't matter to you.

Hilltrot

LOL. So you're saying the government lies to us on a regular basis. How does that make you feel about your ideology which bases all of its ideas on faith in government? That government is the one who knows all, makes no mistakes, and we are all supposed to surrender our consciences to government.

All those numbers come from government statistics. The article is not an opinion poll. But, that won't matter to you.

I have no faith in the government. The U.S. government lies. Is pizza a vegetable? Do I need 4 servings of milk, 4 servings of meats, 4 servings of Bread, and 4 Servings of fruits and vegetables? Is pot more dangerous than Heroin? Were there WMDs in Iraq? The government lies a lot.

More important than that, the article is an opinion that is drawn from statistics. It's not just the stating of statistics.

Gary K

Banned
I have no faith in the government. The U.S. government lies. Is pizza a vegetable? Do I need 4 servings of milk, 4 servings of meats, 4 servings of Bread, and 4 Servings of fruits and vegetables? Is pot more dangerous than Heroin? Were there WMDs in Iraq? The government lies a lot.

More important than that, the article is an opinion that is drawn from statistics. It's not just the stating of statistics.

Then why do you believe that Trump colluded with the Russians? Why do you believe the bureaucrats telling you HCQ doesn't work? Why do you believe the government when it tells you the economy is doing just fine when in fact it is collapsing at a tremendous rate? Why believe that printing money out of thin air without end is something good for the country? Start asking more questions of your government. Start demanding answers as to why violent protesters are protected by government officials. The right to gather and protest is a right. It is not a given right to destroy property, loot and destroy businesses, beat up those you disagree with, attack those sent to stop your illegal activities, etc.... Why haven't those who sold uranium to Russia been prosecuted? Join in asking such questions.

BTW, I agree with you that the Bushes are a bunch of unethical liars. All of them. They are as corrupt as corrupt gets.

Hilltrot

Then why do you believe that Trump colluded with the Russians? Why do you believe the bureaucrats telling you HCQ doesn't work? Why do you believe the government when it tells you the economy is doing just fine when in fact it is collapsing at a tremendous rate? Why believe that printing money out of thin air without end is something good for the country? Start asking more questions of your government. Start demanding answers as to why violent protesters are protected by government officials. The right to gather and protest is a right. It is not a given right to destroy property, loot and destroy businesses, beat up those you disagree with, attack those sent to stop your illegal activities, etc.... Why haven't those who sold uranium to Russia been prosecuted? Join in asking such questions.

BTW, I agree with you that the Bushes are a bunch of unethical liars. All of them. They are as corrupt as corrupt gets.

I don't believe Trump colluded with the Russians to win the 2016 election.

I don't believe HCQ doesn't work. However, I'm not positive it will work in all cases.

The economy is doing fine in some places and horrible in others.

Fiat money has existed for quite some time now. Yes, one can do fiat money wrong.

Violent protestors are not protected where I am. You problems aren't mine.

If people come to beat me up, I shoot them dead. The government where I am has no problem with that. I'm allowed to defend my property where I live. If they escalate, I will shoot them dead. I am allowed to do that where I live. Once again, your problems aren't mine.

I'm more interested in prosecutions of the FBI. I won't hold my breath.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Was it worth the war?

Good question - what have we gained from the effort?

We have stability in a strategically important region that was threatening to devolve into instability again. We have for the moment a secure global source of cheap energy. We have the opportunity to create a second democracy in the region, which had always been considered to be a path towards stability.

But it all comes down to energy. As long as the oil keeps flowing then yes it was worth it.

Gary K

Banned
I don't believe Trump colluded with the Russians to win the 2016 election.

I don't believe HCQ doesn't work. However, I'm not positive it will work in all cases.

The economy is doing fine in some places and horrible in others.

Fiat money has existed for quite some time now. Yes, one can do fiat money wrong.

Violent protestors are not protected where I am. You problems aren't mine.

If people come to beat me up, I shoot them dead. The government where I am has no problem with that. I'm allowed to defend my property where I live. If they escalate, I will shoot them dead. I am allowed to do that where I live. Once again, your problems aren't mine.

I'm more interested in prosecutions of the FBI. I won't hold my breath.

Now you sound reasonable.

As to HCQ working or not. Watch some of the videos I've posted on how it works, and when it should be prescribed. If the "when" of it being prescribed is followed it has extremely good results. Didier Rault has treated more than 2000 coronavirus patients doing just that, and his cure rate is more than 90%, and he doesn't even use zinc in his treatments with zinc being a very effective antiviral. Harvey Risch from Yale says if HCQ was implemented immediately under those guidelines it would save 100,000 lives. If these doctors/researchers treatment regimen had been followed the deaths in the US would less than 10% of what they are. What all the disinformation amounts to is the murder of 10s of 1000s of people.

Hilltrot

We have stability in a strategically important region that was threatening to devolve into instability again. We have for the moment a secure global source of cheap energy. We have the opportunity to create a second democracy in the region, which had always been considered to be a path towards stability.

But it all comes down to energy. As long as the oil keeps flowing then yes it was worth it.

But this is what I was pointing out. What you said may be true and I really don't want to argue that. But notice that what you said was good about the war was not the reason the citizens were told the reason for the war was.

The reason the citizens were told that we needed to go to war was WMDs. That was untrue. The real reason for the war was not given. That makes it a lie.

Gary K

Banned

What stability is there in the ME? Looks to me that the ME has been in a state of war ever since then. Thousands of Christians have been massacred by terrorist groups and nations like Turkey, Syria and Egypt. Russia has increased it's presence too. So explain what stability you think has been gained.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What stability is there in the ME? Looks to me that the ME has been in a state of war ever since then. Thousands of Christians have been massacred by terrorist groups and nations like Turkey, Syria and Egypt. Russia has increased it's presence too. So explain what stability you think has been gained.

The oil is flowing. That's all that matters. When we transition off petroleum, nobody will give a damn about the Middle East - they can eat each other.

Gary K

Banned
Violence is starting in landlord-tenant disputes over rent not being paid. This is only going to increase as both landlords and tenants are under pressure to pay their bills. If the landlords can't pay their mortgages the tenants will lose their place to live as the lending institutions will take over the properties. This is a lose-lose proposition for both landlords and tenants.

Readers may recall the eviction moratorium expired a little more than a week ago nearly four months after the US economy effectively shut down due to the covid pandemic. 33% of renters have yet to make their full payment in July, a recent survey showed. This means that 12 million renters could be on the cusp of eviction in a matter of months.

Landlords are set to lose billions of dollars this year over the inability of tenants to pay rent thanks to the virus-induced recession. With much of chaos and disagreement on Capitol Hill about the next round of stimulus, nevertheless, no deal on a rent moratorium extension, landlords are now demanding back rent and August payment.

While the exact cause of the landlord-tenant dispute turned violent in Georgia Sunday morning has yet to have an underline cause, one can only assume it might have been due to payment.

FOX 5 Atlanta's Kaitlyn Pratt quoted Gwinnett County Police's twitter on early Sunday morning of a dispute between the landlord and tenant.

Pratt tweeted, "LANDLORD-TENANT FIGHT Brings SWAT to a neighborhood. Landlord faces Battery, Obstruction of Justice and Terroristic threats."
LANDLORD-TENANT FIGHT
Brings SWAT to a neighborhood. Landlord faces Battery, Obstruction of Justice and Terroristic threats. https://t.co/lojk2rT9dh

— Kaitlyn Pratt (@Fox5Kaitlyn) August 2, 2020

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) said the landlord was charged with battery after a "dispute with a tenant turned into an hourslong SWAT standoff at a home in unincorporated Lawrenceville."

AJC didn't say what triggered the violent dispute, but as we speculated above, it could have been due to rent payment.

Washington's inability to deliver the next round of Trump checks to the working-poor ahead of August, as we've noted a fiscal cliff was just ahead, has likely resulted in millions of folks skipping out on rent payments in August.

Tens of millions of Americans were pushed into instant-poverty by the economic downturn, many faces housing insecurity and homelessness as the labor market recovery reserves, which has led to millions of permanent job losses. Ahead of the recession, many Americans had insurmountable debts and no savings, or rather no safety net if times got rough.

One would assume confrontations between landlords and tenants on the subject of payments are set to rise, as tenants are on the brink of being homeless, and landlords are having trouble servicing mortgage payments with rental income collapsed.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/rent-moratorium-expires-landlord-tenant-battles-begin

Gary K

Banned
I've written multiple times about what the lockdowns are doing to our nation. I've said we would have mass starvation as well as mass homelessness. This thread was started because of the oncoming homelessness epidemic, but this post is about the coming starvation. Last month 30 million people said they didn't get enough to eat, and things are just going to keep on going from bad to worse.

Food prices at supermarkets surged during the pandemic as tens of millions of Americans lost their jobs.

According to the latest seasonally adjusted data by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), the virus pandemic has had a tremendous impact on food prices from February to June:

Meat and poultry prices jumped 11%, with beef prices surging 20%. Pork climbed by 8.5%, egg prices increased by 10%, and cereals and fresh vegetables were up more than 4%.

"The pandemic has caused a surge in demand for groceries as millions of Americans stay home and avoid eating out. While there's no significant shortage of food, disruptions in the supply chain have created scarcities and driven up prices," CNN Business noted.

Rapid food inflation comes at the worst possible time for the working poor, who were already struggling well before the virus-induced recession, with insurmountable debts, stuck in a renting society, and had very little savings to weather an economic downturn.

These folks have been thrown off a fiscal cliff just weeks ago. They were receiving a $600 per week stimulus check, but since the program ended in late July, their ability to buy food or pay bills has come to a standstill as politicians on Capitol Hill bicker about the next round of direct payments.

With inflation now around 1% and unemployment at Great Depression levels, the Federal Reserve is set to announce new commitments in September to ramp up inflation back to its 2% target.

If the Fed decides to ramp up inflation, possibly sending food, clothing, energy, and shelter prices higher, a larger portion of people's incomes, as we've explained, a quarter of all household income comes from the government (i.e. direct payments), would be used for survival instead of spending it on things like iPhones, Pelotons, Casper mattresses, and or Teslas.

As the depressionary storm continues to swirl above America, 30 million folks have already said they did not have enough to eat in late July, which was the highest level people going hungry since food bank lines emerged across the country in April/May.

The rest of this highly informative article can be found jhere.

The claim of 1% inflation is a joke. The jump in food prices over a period of a few months shows us that.