1st Timothy 5:8 (KJV) appears to assume a works based gospel

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
1st Timothy 5:8 (KJV)

I would venture that in saying that such a person has "denied the faith," that Paul isn't saying that they believed but lost their faith, but that they never believed the faith in the first place. Like, they didn't "get it" the first time around.

I think it means that the One Christian faith (Eph4:5KJV) believes that doing good is integral to believing it. Otherwise what do we make of 1st Timothy 5:8 (KJV), is it hyperbolic? 'Just a scare tactic? What gives?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It could be that there are conditions attached and required and assumed in 1st Timothy 5:8 (KJV), and that someone has to explain so that we can all understand what Paul writes in all his epistles to the Church. This otherwise might seem to have Paul saying that 1st Corinthians 15:3 (KJV) applies to all our sins, except for "if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house," then the Lord didn't die for that sin. There has to be an explanation.

Epoisses

I would venture that in saying that such a person has "denied the faith," that Paul isn't saying that they believed but lost their faith, but that they never believed the faith in the first place. Like, they didn't "get it" the first time around.

I think it means that the One Christian faith (Eph4:5KJV) believes that doing good is integral to believing it. Otherwise what do we make of 1st Timothy 5:8 (KJV), is it hyperbolic? 'Just a scare tactic? What gives?

Those that have faith in Christ perform works every day of their lives. Works of believers are produced by the Spirit while works of unbelievers come from the flesh.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Those that have faith in Christ perform works every day of their lives. Works of believers are produced by the Spirit while works of unbelievers come from the flesh.
What if a believer performs a bad work? Is it still produced by the Holy Spirit?

Bradley D

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Tim. 5:8).

A professed Christian who does not help his family/relatives and cares only for his own self. Is a hypocrite!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Tim. 5:8).

A professed Christian who does not help his family/relatives and cares only for his own self. Is a hypocrite!
What if there are extenuating circumstances?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
God will provide your need.

Why do you even consider not being able to provide yourself and your family?

"I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." Paul said that too. He didn't seem afraid though, of troubling the Church too much, in mentioning so much, so many evil vile vices. He seemed enamored with doing so in fact, for whatever reason.

Epoisses

"I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." Paul said that too. He didn't seem afraid though, of troubling the Church too much, in mentioning so much, so many evil vile vices. He seemed enamored with doing so in fact, for whatever reason.

The law says that you are a sinner and every thought, word and deed of your whole miserable life is sin! So just die already and be re-born in Christ.

Danoh

Often, in the KJB, the meaning of a word is defined within a same passage by another word, or synonym.

In the above, the sense of the word "lust" is the word "covet."

Jerry Shugart

Those who deny the faith are like the ones spoken of in the following passage:

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye"
(Acts 7:51).​

Those who deny the faith are the ones who resist the Holy Spirit which accompanies the gospel.

And here is the reason why some resist the Holy Spirit:

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God" (Jn.3:19-21).​

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Those who deny the faith are like the ones spoken of in the following passage:

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye"
(Acts 7:51).​

Those who deny the faith are the ones who resist the Holy Spirit which accompanies the gospel.

And here is the reason why some resist the Holy Spirit:

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God" (Jn.3:19-21).
I love the light, Jerry. If I could spend all my time in the light, I would, but sometimes it's just dark and darkness. And that's where there's got to be an explanation, otherwise I'm simply lost and have no faith.