Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "White" is a recessive characteristic. Very few people in the world are "white" but a shade of non-white.

Comment

• Originally posted by billwald
      "White" is a recessive characteristic. Very few people in the world are "white" but a shade of non-white.

Excellent point.

Thy mind, O Man, if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation must stretch as high as the utmost heaven, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss. Thou must commune with God.

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by godrulz
        Non-canonical, non-authoritative source.
        Whether a source is canonical or authoritative, or not, is subjective and a matter of opinion. The texts in the New Testament were considered canonical because they tended to agree with the beliefs of the majority of the participants of whatever Council it was that met to decide the matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcastikus
          Whether a source is canonical or authoritative, or not, is subjective and a matter of opinion. The texts in the New Testament were considered canonical because they tended to agree with the beliefs of the majority of the participants of whatever Council it was that met to decide the matter.

Simplistic ignorance of the formation of the Bible...
          Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
          I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

Comment

If his stance is what you say it is, then you've come to that conclusion on the edge of a fluke. For your view and take on the formation of a, and what constitutes a canonicaly acceptable, bible is so convolutedly ignorant, and arrogant, that it's rather hard to accept any attempted discernment on your part, with regard to the validity or tenability of other's statements on the subject, as having an ice cubes chance in a supercritical fluid of maintaining a solid state.
            Last edited by Mustard Seed; February 27, 2006, 12:48 AM.

Thy mind, O Man, if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation must stretch as high as the utmost heaven, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss. Thou must commune with God.

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Huh? I must be tired or you are drunk
              Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
              I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

Comment

Huh? I must be tired or you are drunk

If I'm drunk then that was some wacked out hot chocolate and popcorn. And to think it didn't even have that fizzy fermented flavor I've happened upon in my yogurt at times.

I left out, in my fatigue, and haste, and slovenly posting habits, a few commas in that last post. My apologies.

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

I wasn't going for a detailed description, but it's obvious there was a great deal of literature for the early Church to work with and not all sects agreed on what texts were canonical. Some included the Shepherd of Hermas and The Epistle of Barnabas, while others rejected some of the epistles now found in the Bible. At the time Bishop Eusebius wrote The History of the Church (in the late 3rd century) 2 and 3 John, and Revelation were still disputed texts. Ethiopian Christians had an expanded canon that included 1 Enoch and Jubilees in the Old Testament and several additional books in the New Testament.

Based on I've read it appears that politics played a major role in early Christianity and in the formation of the New Testament canon. A variety of groups were vying for power and the proto-orthodox faction won, which resulted in the destruction of a great deal of literature, though there probably would have been similar loses no matter who had won the power struggle(s).

Apparently many people/factions thought their particular piece of the puzzle was the entire puzzle, much like today.

Comment

• Brigham Young (Journal of Discourses)

"You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind.

The first man that committed the odious crime of killing one of his brethren will be cursed the longest of any one of the children of Adam. Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings.

This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race--that they should be the "servant of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed."
                    ------

"Maybe we should spray some OBAMA on it, He's got electrolytes!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Urizen
                      I've always found it interesting how such a disproportionate number of fantasy and science fiction writers come from the Mormon faith. Guess maybe they're just following in ole Joey Smith's footsteps...

Really? Who else besides OSC?
                      "Love one another" Jesus Christ
                      "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., April 4, 1967
                      "....we are all his children" St. Paul, Acts 17:28

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Seed
                        Their first ruler was a righteous man. Also you seem to forget that the Egyptian empire spanned several different dynasties who's familial origins were not as homogenous as many imagine.
                        First ruler? According to scholastic sources, http://www.ancient-egypt.org/
                        Menes is the first ruler of the united kingdoms but with this caveat
                        "As none of the sources from the Early Dynastic Period mention his name and as none of the deeds credited to him can be associated with any of the archaeologically attested kings, the identification of this Menes, however, is problematic."

Further, I made no mention of the various dynasties but that does not mean I was forgetful. You are putting words in my mouth--don't!

Just so you know, one of my degrees is history and this is an area of particular interest to me, though it has been years since I studied the period; I have moved on to other areas of interest such as Hispano-Islamic culture.
                        "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., April 4, 1967

Comment

• Originally posted by Urizen
                          More than you want me to list in a post:

http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_other.html

This list sci-fi/fantasy authors by religious affiliation, you'll notice that when you get to the bottom of the section on LDS, it actually provides a link to second page with another 200+ LDS sci-fi/fantasy authors....

What's more interesting to me is the fact that seemingly the second most disproportional group was the Jewish category.

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by HerodionRomulus
                            First ruler? According to scholastic sources, http://www.ancient-egypt.org/
                            Menes is the first ruler of the united kingdoms but with this caveat
                            "As none of the sources from the Early Dynastic Period mention his name and as none of the deeds credited to him can be associated with any of the archaeologically attested kings, the identification of this Menes, however, is problematic."

Further, I made no mention of the various dynasties but that does not mean I was forgetful. You are putting words in my mouth--don't!

Just so you know, one of my degrees is history and this is an area of particular interest to me, though it has been years since I studied the period; I have moved on to other areas of interest such as Hispano-Islamic culture.
                            Curious. Do you hold that language was the result of massive evolutionary jumps, as is the take most comonly taken in current views of the advent of the written word?

Also have you read much of the common storys and accounts surrounding the initial discovery and founding of Egypt? How familiar are you with available accounts as to the begining of Egypt as a land?

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Seed
                              Curious. Do you hold that language was the result of massive evolutionary jumps, as is the take most comonly taken in current views of the advent of the written word?

Also have you read much of the common storys and accounts surrounding the initial discovery and founding of Egypt? How familiar are you with available accounts as to the begining of Egypt as a land?
                              Language development? Not something I have ever devoted much consideration to.

See my last paragraph for the answer to your last paragraph.

Comment

• Originally posted by HerodionRomulus
                                Language development? Not something I have ever devoted much consideration to.

See my last paragraph for the answer to your last paragraph.

Language development is rather fascinating from the bit I've read about it. The earliest forms they have of it has it appearing at a level of complexity that would be far removed from even early attempts at evolving a language. It's also interesting that the bulk of the earliest writtings they've found seem to be almost solely focused on religion. An evolutionary view on humans would seemingly demand an evolutionary view of writting. Yet, as is the same with revelations on metallurgy, it seems to have appeared on the seen as a fully developed, complex system of communication. No centuries worth of scriblings and attempts at making and refining the system. It just appears on the scene, ready to go.

With regard to the second question I was hoping for actual references to primary sources you were aware of touching the topic. I was quite aware of your last paragraph, that was the reasoning for seeking a deeper awareness as to what you'd become privy to.

Are you familiar with the likes of Hermann Junker or Sethe and Spielberg? What's your knowledge of the Leyden Book of Breathings? How familiar are you with the indications in ancient texts to a woman coming to Egypt and establishing her son on the throne? Sethe would place such an event a thousand years before Menes. As the book I'm reading on the subject puts it the arrival of this woman to Egypt, and the yearly observance of a kind of "founders day" that was utterly detatched from the worship or Re and Osiris or any other mystical, abstract or symbolic content so as to leave a certainty that it had some solid connection to an actual event. It apparently even had a place. Now I'm not going to claim to have personaly studied all these documents but I'm curious as to how you would respond to these things.

--Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X