X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truthfrees
    replied
    Originally posted by iucraigmc View Post
    I wrote about Expelled today on my own website, I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. You can view the YouTube supertrailor here if you haven't seen it, I've been looking forward to it since I heard about it last month.

It should be interesting, I have noticed quite a stir on Digg lately every time it is mentioned. It seems many people are sensitive to the subject of Evolution. It also appears that the focus on the film is on academic censorship more than defending intelligent design - but I guess I'll see.
    i agree with this assessment.

he was exposing the double standard that is affecting an open discussion.

very enlightening.

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Bump - this was an interesting thread.

Leave a comment:

• joeyknuccione
    replied
    Originally posted by iucraigmc View Post
    I wrote about Expelled today on my own website, I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. You can view the YouTube supertrailor here if you haven't seen it, I've been looking forward to it since I heard about it last month.

It should be interesting, I have noticed quite a stir on Digg lately every time it is mentioned. It seems many people are sensitive to the subject of Evolution. It also appears that the focus on the film is on academic censorship more than defending intelligent design - but I guess I'll see.

Expelled has used a made up controversy to push their relgious views, do not think they haven't. Discovery Institute (you may or may not remember their famous wedge document) is helping fund and promote it.

This is yet another move by religious fundies to try to sneak creationism into schools. Anyone who denies this is really only fooling themselves.

By crying academic freedom they are trying to make available to allied teachers the ability to place god in the gaps of evolution. This is a very familiar trick by religious people. When they can't get what they want, they sugarcoat it, put on some lipstick, and run it by the courts again.

When a judge, appointed by Bush the Anointed, says its a duck, you can bet it quacks. But no, the judge was part of a vast conspiracy....y'all know the rest.

Leave a comment:

• joeyknuccione
    replied
    Originally posted by Servo View Post
    You don't think the following is true?

4. natural selection

1. Another name for the Columbine High School massacre.

2. Words printed on the shirt worn by Eric Harris as he committed the above.

"Sometime in April me and V will get revenge and will kick natural selection up a few notches" - Eric David Harris

Just because someone makes statements, no matter how inappropriate does not mean a theory is right or wrong.

It would not matter if they had said they were going to kick religion up a notch, it still would have no bearing on the validity of a theory.

Leave a comment:

• assuranceagent
    replied
    Originally posted by joeyknuccione View Post
    Expelled the movie? You gotta be kidding me. If that is not a piece of creationist propaganda, Michael Moore's the second coming.
    If the evolutionists can use the public school system as their propaganda machine, Ben Stein can use a movie screen.

And if Michael Moore's the second coming, Messiah has really let Himself go.

Leave a comment:

• joeyknuccione
    replied
    Expelled the movie? You gotta be kidding me. If that is not a piece of creationist propaganda, Michael Moore's the second coming.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Pekkle View Post
    I can see why so many are swayed by the sound scientific and logical argument made by evolution.

This is sarcasm.
    There. I fixed it for you.

Leave a comment:

• Pekkle
    replied
    I can see why so many are swayed by the sound scientific and logical argument made by creationism.

This is sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    Originally posted by laughsoutloud View Post

Leave a comment:

• laughsoutloud
    replied
    Originally posted by Knight View Post
    Oh the irony.
    Kinight, I have seen NO evidence for the flood, special creation or a 6,000 year old earth. None.

I have seen a lot of apologetics, explaining how a certain subset of the data could be made to fit certain interpretations of the Bible.

I have seen lots of criticisms of science (but criticisms of science do not establish the YEC perspective - only a coherent theory that fits the evidence could do that).

I see lots of people pretending that science speaks with a unified voice, and has to defend a dogmatic position. It just does not work that way.

In the last few hundred years, we've gone from thinking that maggots spontaneously generate from rotting meat to studying the elementary particles of the universe. Along the way, we've come up with lots of ideas to explain what we see. Some of those we call laws (they are really just explanations of how things work that no-one doubts), some we call theories (pretty much universal acceptance, but still subject to revision as we learn more), some are hypothesis (explanations for observations that have not yet gained widespread acceptance).

Everything we know in science is stuff we thought up - because books like the Bible ended up not being very helpful when it came to the sciences. This is a fairly new thought - only some hundreds of years old. But one thing we can be sure of, so far, things in the natural world that can be measured or studied have had natural causes (so for example, no storehouses of snow, in spite of what it says in Job).

Does that mean that the world cannot be 6,000 years old? That all species couldn't have been created, pretty much as they are a few days later? That there was no global flood some 3,500 years ago?

Yes, pretty much. We can never go back there, unless we want to ignore the clear evidence of the natural world. This is what creationism boils down to - a return to ignorance in the name of piety. I am not going there, and I hope you don't go there either.
    Last edited by laughsoutloud; May 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling, corrected creationist date for Flood

Leave a comment:

• Knight
    replied
    Willful ignorance, masked as piety, is still ignorance - and it is also dangerous, because in order to succeed, you have to paint the search for truth as a bad thing, and the people who search for truth as liars and deceivers.
    Oh the irony.

Leave a comment:

• laughsoutloud
    replied
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
    FYI, I believe in adaptation. All created, living things, were designed to adapt to their environments.
    So that would be no, you won't respond to the arguments. Evolution has been demonstrated (both what you call micro and macro) in the lab and in the fossil record (multiple transitionals in tetrapod evolution, for example). The adaptations driven by evolution are robust, but no where robust enough to support the kind of speciation and diversity creationists claim occurred after the Flood. So snearing dismissal of what scientists demonstrate evolution does all the time, and credulous pretending that evolution accomplished things after the Flood that simply could not have happened.

Willful ignorance, masked as piety, is still ignorance - and it is also dangerous, because in order to succeed, you have to paint the search for truth as a bad thing, and the people who search for truth as liars and deceivers.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    You are pretty clever. Can you respond to the arguments themselves?

Evolution is an every day activity. It is pretty powerful, even according to creationists, if evolution generated the diversity we see around us from a few thousand "kinds" on the ark! Think about it - from 2500 bc to the time writers began cataloging the world around us (say 1,000 years?) all the diversity we see - in fact,this is a speed and power of evolution that far exceeds anything the mainstream scientific community believes it is capable of. Of course, there is no actual evidence that anything of the sort happened - but it is odd that on the one hand, creationists believe evolution is so much more powerful that the science supports - and yet won't admit that evolution actually acciomplished the much more modest tasks attributed to it by science.

And in the links I gave you, creation of novel features, fossil evidence of multiple transitional fossils - no response except an attempt at humor?
    FYI, I believe in adaptation. All created, living things, were designed to adapt to their environments.

Leave a comment:

• laughsoutloud
    replied
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Did you say, "speculation?"
    You are pretty clever. Can you respond to the arguments themselves?

Evolution is an every day activity. It is pretty powerful, even according to creationists, if evolution generated the diversity we see around us from a few thousand "kinds" on the ark! Think about it - from 2500 bc to the time writers began cataloging the world around us (say 1,000 years?) all the diversity we see - in fact,this is a speed and power of evolution that far exceeds anything the mainstream scientific community believes it is capable of. Of course, there is no actual evidence that anything of the sort happened - but it is odd that on the one hand, creationists believe evolution is so much more powerful that the science supports - and yet won't admit that evolution actually acciomplished the much more modest tasks attributed to it by science.

And in the links I gave you, creation of novel features, fossil evidence of multiple transitional fossils - no response except an attempt at humor?

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    And here is a whole book on speciation...
    Did you say, "speculation?"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X