Hello TOL!

Soddomin4lovers

Greetings, TOL.

My name is Ryan. I've known about this place for awhile, though I've never bothered joining until now. I do enjoy the occasional online debate, especially when it has people from radically different perspectives coming together.

Religiously speaking I like the term none or unaffiliated. I was raised in Protestant household, however I began to loose interest in faith and spirituality when I started college. When I was 19 I was outed to my parents as being gay and a non-christian by members of my family's church who thought they were trying to help me. It had the opposite effect, and made me quite hostile towards religion and drove me to read the works of Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet, and others. My family was able to get over that bump pretty easily; my parents love me to death, and even though they are all still members of that church they seldomly attend these days; the experience with me kind of soured the relationship. My parents are the kind of people who don't take too kindly to outsiders judging or undermining their relationship with their kids. I've cooled down a bit in ensuring years, and I'm not very hostile towards religion in most senses these days; I simply strongly oppose using it as a basis for any kind of State policy. I think that individuals should do whatever makes them happy at heart, and if that includes praying to a god, well that is your own business and I'm in no place to judge you for it, just don't expect me to participate.

Politically speaking my views can be described as a loose mixture of Noam Chomsky, Matt Taibbi, Chris Hitchens, and Hunter S. Thompson, though I usually come across as a much more accessible and nice guy then any of those three. Basically I'm an anti-authoritarian first and foremost, and I have a strong inherent distrust of all power that arises from non-consensual or non-biological means. You can probably see how this feeds into my religious views as well.

Also for anyone who is curious; my username is a reference to one of slogans that was on Michael Moore's Soddommobile; a giant hot pink Winnebago that he toured the southern US with in the late 90s for an episode of his tv show The Awful Truth. He brought along with him the most flaming gay men he could find, and the goal was to have these guys break every Sodomy law still on the books as a creative protest. This was before the SCOTUS ruling in 2003 that invalided all of these laws. I'm not much of a fan of Moore at all, but I will say that I thought it was one of the funniest and creative protests anyone has ever come up with, and I love referencing it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Anyways, thinks for allowing me to join, and I look forward to getting to know the rest of the community.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also for anyone who is curious; my username is a reference to one of slogans that was on Michael Moore's Soddommobile; a giant hot pink Winnebago that he toured the southern US with in the late 90s for an episode of his tv show The Awful Truth. He brought along with him the most flaming gay men he could find, and the goal was to have these guys break every Sodomy law still on the books as a creative protest. This was before the SCOTUS ruling in 2003 that invalided all of these laws. I'm not much of a fan of Moore at all, but I will say that I thought it was one of the funniest and creative protests anyone has ever come up with, and I love referencing it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Anyways, thinks for allowing me to join, and I look forward to getting to know the rest of the community.

:flamer:

BTW welcome to TOL.

keypurr

Welcome to TOL Ryan. I won't judge you until I get the log out of my own eye first. That could take awhile.

I aint no monkey

Welcome to TOL!

That's an interesting theology you have there that sodomy is okay and there is no God. That must come from your Bible, “On The Origin of the Species”. Let’s hope that your prophets, Dawkins, Hitchens and Dennet don’t lead you astray. I guess you aren’t much different than us Protestants. I wonder if you would out a Christian that was secretly in your atheist meetings.

Here is the problem, you will have to spend every day making a decision about Christ, for as long as you live. Accept Christ today? Sodomy isn’t going to suppress the need for Christ or satisfy your soul. Only Christ can do that. When I was looking my Uncle in his casket a month ago, I was thinking that the only way for anyone to see him again was to accept Christ because he did. Then the pastor got up and guess what he said, the same thing that I was thinking. I don’t think that was a coincidence. I hope you remember that.

God Bless

Monkey

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL!

That's an interesting theology you have there that sodomy is okay and there is no God. That must come from your Bible, “On The Origin of the Species”. Let’s hope that your prophets, Dawkins, Hitchens and Dennet don’t lead you astray. I guess you aren’t much different than us Protestants. I wonder if you would out a Christian that was secretly in your atheist meetings.

Here is the problem, you will have to spend every day making a decision about Christ, for as long as you live. Accept Christ today? Sodomy isn’t going to suppress the need for Christ or satisfy your soul. Only Christ can do that. When I was looking my Uncle in his casket a month ago, I was thinking that the only way for anyone to see him again was to accept Christ because he did. Then the pastor got up and guess what he said, the same thing that I was thinking. I don’t think that was a coincidence. I hope you remember that.

God Bless

Monkey

Well, can't top Monkey's intro...Welcome to TOL Ryan, I hope it has a positive effect on you. :D