Theology Club: Open Theism Destroys Arminianism??

Jerry Shugart

If you'll bother to read what I said, I said that we become foreknown after we believe, that we are foreknown to our eventual sanctification.

Earlier you said that the LORD only foreknows things in regard to "corporate" things. Now you are saying that He foreknows things in regard to "individuals."

It is interesting that you appear to be Catholic in your beliefs regarding justification and sanctification, as protestants fairly universally separate the two.

it's not funny how you continue to say that despite the fact that I told you exactly what the word "sanctification" refers to at 1 Peter 1:2.

Again, you've returned to what has already been proven false by a simply exegetical examination of the chapter. I suppose this is probably the result of your cognitive dissonance, too.

Do you really think that Paul COMMANDED some men to eternal life and after he did that everyone of them who were commanded believed? If anyone has a case of cognitive dissonance it is you.

I can just hear Paul telling people, "I command you to eternal life!"

Derf

I'm starting to get to the limit of my multi-tasking in the different topics we're addressing in single posts. I'd like to narrow down to just one for now, if you don't mind. I'm going to suggest one, but if you'd rather talk about a different one, I'm game. At some point, I'll probably play the off-topic card and try to make sure we're still talking about the thread topic, and then we can take others to new threads if we need to.

The first one I'd like to eliminate is the individual vs corporate salvation/election. I think it's an important topic, and is somewhat related to the thread topic, as depending on how it is perceived, could be a major point in discussions on either side. So I recognize we might and likely will get back into it, but for now, I'd like to get the final word in :) and then let it drop for awhile. I propose that salvation is individual (I think you agree with me), and I propose that election scriptures do not specify very clearly whether election is corporate or individual or possibly contingent on future actions. I'd be interested in a new thread, but I can't guarrantee how much time I could invest in it, unfortunately.

The topic I'd like to retain for now is the subject of Jesus nature(s) and how that fits into our perception of time and timelessness.

And now, back to our program...
Let us look how Paul used the term "son of..." when speaking to a sorcerer named Elymas:

"O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?"
(Acts 13:10).​

Of course Paul was not saying that Elymas was a literal son of the devil. Instead, he was saying that the "nature" of Elymas is that of the devil. So when it is said that the Lord Jesus is the "son of man" what is being said that His nature is that of man.
I agree with you here about Elymas. I think you'll have a hard time convincing me that the same kind of language is being used of Jesus when "man" is described in such a negative context below:
This translation expresses better what is said:

"God is not like people. He tells no lies. He is not like humans. He doesn't change his mind. When he says something, he does it. When he makes a promise, he keeps it"
(Num.23:19; God's Word Translation).​

Here Balaam is saying that God is not like the people of the earth who lie
Again, I agree with you on what these passages are saying, but if mankind's nature is to tell lies, change his mind, and not to keep his promises, how can you say that Jesus calling himself the "Son of man" is an indication that He has the nature of man? Surely that nature of man is not in any way a reflection on Jesus.

Maybe "Son of man" is really just an indication that He was born into the human race. It's the most literal interpretation, and it doesn't seem to have any negative reflection on Jesus, does it? Are you not a "son of man"? Am I not one, too? There must be a reason why that particular title is one He used of Himself in such a way as to distinguish from something else, and I would suggest it is to distinguish Himself from a God that has no familial connection to His creation. In other words, He is at once calling attention to the fact that He is man and calling attention to the fact that He is God, all in the same title. "Son of God" doesn't do that, but "Son of man" sure does.

No, my interpretation of what is said at Hebrews 13:8 is supported by what is said here:

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed" (Mal.3:6).​

According to your ideas the LORD had only one nature before He came to the earth and then later He took on another nature and He experienced no change. The LORD says that He does not change but you say that He does.
I'm not saying He does, I'm saying He did. And I'm not saying it based on my own knowledge, but based on what the scriptures tell us--that Jesus was made man. And if He ever changed, then that verse must not mean that He never changes in ANY way. Rather the context, which you've included (thank you), is that He doesn't go back on His promises to the sons of Jacob. God had made a promise to Jacob, that included what He would do with Jacob's progeny, and God was going to keep His promise. Mal 3:6 is not restricting the possibility that God never changes in any way, but it doesn't require it, either. Rather, it appears that God is talking about never changing in His character or His purposes, and part of His character is that He doesn't renege on His promises.

I like to take things to the extreme to see how ideas play out. Imagine then that God really doesn't ever change in any way. Then when you see a verse that says "And God said...", you can immediately throw it out as false, since at one point God was not speaking, and then He spoke. That's a change of state between two opposites: God speaking and God not speaking. If God never changes, then He cannot start speaking, or if He is speaking, He cannot stop.

He also can't befriend anyone, as that would be a change (See James 2:23). Before Abraham was created, God was not his friend, since he didn't exist, but then when Abraham came into existence, God was his friend. If such a change is not allowed by scripture, then God's very nature and existence is contingent on Abraham--without Abraham, God is not complete, since He is, was, and always will be, the friend of Abraham. Abraham, obviously, would have the upper hand in that relationship, as he would have the power to "unfriend" God, but God couldn't unfriend Abraham (as that would be a change). Therefore the God you describe is both finite and powerless, all while being infinite and almighty. God is not contradictory, is He?

Of course, God's relationship with Abraham, even if Abraham were co-eternal, would be very one-sided, as God can't really communicate to him, or even listen to him, since those things would be changes in God. (Which is why Abraham might unfriend God.)

Obviously these things are ridiculous, as we know God is not powerless to act and speak and enter into a relationship with someone, or even break off a relationship with someone. God can change in those ways. And in other ways, too, like being angry but not forever--Jer 3:12, or being merciful but time will run out for each of us. I think we have to let the Bible's descriptions of God drive our conception of how he can change.

Can Jesus, being God, change in such a way that whereas He used to NOT be a man, now He is a man (while also being God)? I struggle to see how anyone can argue with a "yes" answer to that question, but you seem to be doing so.

You are misreading what is said here:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).​

According to this no "man" has ascended up to heaven except for the Man Jesus Christ, the same Man who is now in heaven.
I would appreciate just a little attention to my scenario. The point was that you became both husband and father, and yet you are still able to return to your birthplace, as a husband and father, without violating any laws of physics or metaphysics.

In the same way, if Jesus descended to the earth (He must have if He was once not on the earth and then He came to earth--or is that a change that's not allowed by Mal 3:6?), and took on the form of a man, then it's quite likely that the title "Son of man" did not apply to Jesus before He was born to Mary, but now it applies to Him. And when He ascended back to heaven, He retained His title and a human body (of some type that was recognizable both as human and as Jesus).

OK, let us look at these verses:

"So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption" (1 Cor.15:42-50).​

From start to finish the subject under discussion by Paul concerns the two types of bodies which Christians will possess at one time or another. He always mentions the "natural" body first and the "spiritual" body second. Then he says, "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual."

So in the following verses when Paul uses the word "first" he is using Adam as an example of a natural body. Then when he uses the word "second" he is using the Lord Jesus' body (as it is now in heaven) as an example of a spiritual body. Nothing more and nothing less.

The verses which I quoted are only in regard to the different bodies which Christians possess or will possess in the future and nothing more. You are reading into these verses which are not said. Let us look at these words and interpret them they way that you are trying to interpret these verses:

"The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven"
(1 Cor.15:47).​
Regarding the highlighted part of the quote above: If all you are trying to say with those verses is that Adam represents an earthy body like what we have now, and Jesus represents a spiritual body that we hope to be like in eternity, I have no issue with what you are saying, but it also doesn't seem to be germane to our topic. I suggest we eliminate that rabbit trail, too.

Of course we know that the Lord Jesus was not the "second" man because we know that Cain was the second man.
Therefore, if the verses that talk about Jesus being the "second man" mean anything at all, it is not in the same way that Cain was the "second man" (which is that Cain was the second in the same type). But that doesn't mean we can throw out all verses talking about Jesus being the "second man" or "last Adam" as meaning nothing. That's why I proposed, and haven't seen much response to, the idea that Jesus is the head of a second "type" or "race" of man, one that is not subject to the frailties and limitations that the first race of man was subject to ever since Adam.

Jerry Shugart

The topic I'd like to retain for now is the subject of Jesus nature(s) and how that fits into our perception of time and timelessness.

We have a basic disagreement over the meaning of the words here in regard to the Lord Jesus:

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever"
(Heb.13:8).​

I think that this verse is referring to the same thing:

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed"
(Mal.3:6).​

None of what is said there makes any sense if we say that before He came to the earth He only had one nature and then on earth He gained another nature. That would be a huge change.

I agree with you here about Elymas. I think you'll have a hard time convincing me that the same kind of language is being used of Jesus when "man" is described in such a negative context below

A man comes out of the womb in a state of innocence so how he is described in the verse is a result of his own actions and not because of his nature.

Again, I agree with you on what these passages are saying, but if mankind's nature is to tell lies, change his mind, and not to keep his promises, how can you say that Jesus calling himself the "Son of man" is an indication that He has the nature of man? Surely that nature of man is not in any way a reflection on Jesus.

Again, man's nature is not to tell lies. Telling lies is the result of his free will.

Maybe "Son of man" is really just an indication that He was born into the human race.

The meaning of the words "Son of..." when it is regard to "man" must have the same connotation of the words "Son of..." when it is in regard to God. And it is plain that the Lord Jesus was not born into anything, since with Him there is no beginning. So then we can understand that when the words "Son of Man" are used the reference is in regard to Him being a Man and it has nothing to do with Him being born of Mary.

Besides that, who do you think that the words in "bold" are referring to?:

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil"
(Gen.3:22).​

I'm not saying He does, I'm saying He did. And I'm not saying it based on my own knowledge, but based on what the scriptures tell us--that Jesus was made man.

This verse tells us in what sense He was made man:

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth" (Jn.1:14).​

He changed the way in which He was clothed before. He exchanged His heavenly body for an earthly body.

And if He ever changed, then that verse must not mean that He never changes in ANY way. Rather the context, which you've included (thank you), is that He doesn't go back on His promises to the sons of Jacob. God had made a promise to Jacob, that included what He would do with Jacob's progeny, and God was going to keep His promise. Mal 3:6 is not restricting the possibility that God never changes in any way, but it doesn't require it, either. Rather, it appears that God is talking about never changing in His character or His purposes, and part of His character is that He doesn't renege on His promises.

So you are saying that the LORD's character never changes but His very "nature" can change and despite that He will remain the same as He was before?

He also can't befriend anyone, as that would be a change (See James 2:23). Before Abraham was created, God was not his friend, since he didn't exist, but then when Abraham came into existence, God was his friend.

To explain that, let us look at this verse:

"And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me" (Gen.22:12).​

Since the LORD looks at the heart of man (1 Sam.16:7) then He would know for sure whether or not Abraham feared Him. Therefore, He certainly did not need to see any of Abraham's actions in order to know whether he feared Him or not.

What is said at Genesis 22:12 is in regard to this figure of speech:

"Antropopatheia; Ascribing to God what belongs to humans and rational beings..." (The Companion Bible; Appendix 6).​

I would appreciate just a little attention to my scenario. The point was that you became both husband and father, and yet you are still able to return to your birthplace, as a husband and father, without violating any laws of physics or metaphysics.

In the same way, if Jesus descended to the earth (He must have if He was once not on the earth and then He came to earth--or is that a change that's not allowed by Mal 3:6?), and took on the form of a man, then it's quite likely that the title "Son of man" did not apply to Jesus before He was born to Mary, but now it applies to Him. And when He ascended back to heaven, He retained His title and a human body (of some type that was recognizable both as human and as Jesus).

That does not explain away the explicit statement here:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man which is in heaven"
(Jn.3:13).​

According to this no "man" has ascended up to heaven except for the Man who came down from heaven, the Lord Jesus. So if words have any meaning the Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came to the earth. And he is now in heaven as Man without a flesh and blood body. That means that a natural body is not essential to being a man. We too will remain men even though we will have a spiritual, heavenly body instead of a natural body.

Thanks for your responses, Derf.

Last edited:

themuzicman

Earlier you said that the LORD only foreknows things in regard to "corporate" things. Now you are saying that He foreknows things in regard to "individuals."

Again with the twisting of words. I said that God's foreknowledge of the elect is corporate. God foreknows what group will be saved without knowing which individuals will be there.

Individuals, then, when they believe, become elect and then part of those who are foreknown.

This isn't rocket science.

it's not funny how you continue to say that despite the fact that I told you exactly what the word "sanctification" refers to at 1 Peter 1:2.

Except that it violates your belief about salvation by justification alone.

Do you really think that Paul COMMANDED some men to eternal life and after he did that everyone of them who were commanded believed? If anyone has a case of cognitive dissonance it is you.

I can just hear Paul telling people, "I command you to eternal life!"

It doesn't matter what I think. IT matters what the text says. In the case of a passive verb without an indirect object to indicate the actor, the actor is the active force in the context. The only active force in the context is Paul's preaching, Thus, that's what did the commanding.

Peter commanded those at Pentecost to repent and be baptized. Why is it so hard to think that Paul might command people, too?

Jerry Shugart

Peter commanded those at Pentecost to repent and be baptized. Why is it so hard to think that Paul might command people, too?

No, Peter was answering a question there.

Do you stick with your idea that Paul "commanded" men to eternal life and after that every one of those so commanded believed?

Derf

We have a basic disagreement over the meaning of the words here in regard to the Lord Jesus:

I think that this verse is referring to the same thing:

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed"
(Mal.3:6).​

None of what is said there makes any sense if we say that before He came to the earth He only had one nature and then on earth He gained another nature. That would be a huge change.
Yes, I agree that those verses are referring to the same thing, and yes, that would be a huge change! But without that, the bible loses its message of reconciliation of God and man. And, if Jesus existed as man already, then there was no need to make man in God's image, as man already existed in God's image.

Again, man's nature is not to tell lies. Telling lies is the result of his free will.
Here Balaam is saying that God is not like the people of the earth who lie
Your first sentence is contradicted by your second sentence. You say man's nature is not to tell lies, but Balaam said if you lie, you are like the people of earth, thus defining one aspect of man's nature.

And of course it's of his free will, but it's also in his nature, according to you. Here's what you said before:
This translation expresses better what is said:

"God is not like people. He tells no lies. He is not like humans. He doesn't change his mind. When he says something, he does it. When he makes a promise, he keeps it"
(Num.23:19; God's Word Translation).​
Here's a definition of "nature" from Oxford Dictionaries.com (my underlining):

na·ture, noun

1. the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations: "the breathtaking beauty of nature"
2. the basic or inherent features of something, especially when seen as characteristic of it

If that is our basic or inherent features--i.e., when God compares himself to people He sees that as a major distinction, then it seems like it's part of our nature.

A good follow-up question would be to ask if that's the nature Jesus took on himself, and I would definitely say "no" (He was tempted like man in every way, yet without sin--Heb 4:15). So it's quite possible to distinguish 2 natures of man, one that is sinful (called a "sin nature"), and one that is what God made us as (physical and earthy, but still very good). Jesus took on the second of those two when He was born of a woman. Jesus now has a body that could be touched. Before the physical world/"earth" was made, there wasn't anything physical/"earthy". ("Adam" means "earth")

The meaning of the words "Son of..." when it is regard to "man" must have the same connotation of the words "Son of..." when it is in regard to God. And it is plain that the Lord Jesus was not born into anything, since with Him there is no beginning. So then we can understand that when the words "Son of Man" are used the reference is in regard to Him being a Man and it has nothing to do with Him being born of Mary.
Yes, the connotation is the same. Jesus is the son of God, because He was "begotten of God", and He became the "Son of man" because He was "born of a woman", as all men are (except the first man, Adam) according to Gen 3:20. But you are saying that Jesus was a man long before Eve, so Eve was not the mother all living. Do you not see a contradiction?

Besides that, who do you think that the words in "bold" are referring to?:

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil"
(Gen.3:22).​
I think you are asking here if I believe that Jesus was with God in the beginning, part of the "us". Yes, I do. I don't think Jesus was a newly created being when Mary birthed him, but He had a newly created body, one which He had never had before, definitely not an eternal body. That part was new! See, you seem to agree with me that Jesus experienced a radical change!!! Just as you indicate in the next quote:
This verse tells us in what sense He was made man:

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth" (Jn.1:14).​

He changed the way in which He was clothed before. He exchanged His heavenly body for an earthly body.
Yes, what a marvelous and inexplicable change!!! Like I said, you DO believe Jesus experienced a monumental change. And now He seems to be maintaining a physical body, but one that is not limited in the way ours are--it is become "spiritual", yet retaining some physical aspects, like He can still be touched, and He can walk through walls and rise into the air.

So you are saying that the LORD's character never changes but His very "nature" can change and despite that He will remain the same as He was before?
No, I didn't say that His nature changed. I said He took on a new nature--He became a human being, where He never was one before. And despite that, He (somehow) remains the same as He always was. He is still God; He is still powerful; he is still good; He still never lies; He never goes back on a promise; He is still.... Somehow (and I don't understand how) He is able to be both at the same time.

To explain that, let us look at this verse:

"And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me" (Gen.22:12).​

Since the LORD looks at the heart of man (1 Sam.16:7) then He would know for sure whether or not Abraham feared Him. Therefore, He certainly did not need to see any of Abraham's actions in order to know whether he feared Him or not.

What is said at Genesis 22:12 is in regard to this figure of speech:

"Antropopatheia; Ascribing to God what belongs to humans and rational beings..." (The Companion Bible; Appendix 6).​
I don't think that explains anything having to do with what I said. What I said was that if God can't change, then He can't have a relationship with a non-eternal being. Abraham was a non-eternal being, therefore to have a relationship with Him, God would have to change, at least in some way, when He created Abraham. I don't see why what I said has anything to do with Antropopatheia. Are you agreeing with me that God does not ever have relationships with his created beings? And you need such a literary device to show why the bible doesn't really mean what it says about God being Abraham's friend? What about Jesus' disciples? Where they His friends or were they just a figment of His antropopatheism?

That does not explain away the explicit statement here:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man which is in heaven"

According to this no "man" has ascended up to heaven except for the Man who came down from heaven, the Lord Jesus. So if words have any meaning the Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He came to the earth. And he is now in heaven as Man without a flesh and blood body. That means that a natural body is not essential to being a man. We too will remain men even though we will have a spiritual, heavenly body instead of a natural body.
The highlighted word is not in the text of the verse. As such it seems like you have added to scripture your own interpretation. :nono: It says "he", which is then equated with the existing Son of man. This fits with the idea that Jesus came down from heaven, and that He ascended back into heaven, but it doesn't say that He was a son of man before He was born. The sentence structure recognizes a "he" that spans the divide between the one that came down (not a man) and the one the ascended ("son of man"). Something happened between the two events--Jesus became a man--but it was the same person that came down not-a-man and that ascended a-man. There's a time perspective that may be hard for you to see, since you hold that all things are simultaneous with God. (Which is a severe limitation of God, not just to time but to instantaneity. The bible doesn't make any sense when timelessness is introduced.)

Jerry Shugart

Yes the connotation is the same. Jesus is the son of God, because He was "begotten of God", and He became the "Son of man" because He was "born of a woman", as all men are (except the first man, Adam) according to Gen 3:20. But you are saying that Jesus was a man long before Eve, so Eve was not the mother all living. Do you not see a contradiction?

So are you saying that the Lord Jesus as God had a beginning? That idea is really strange. One of the definitions of the Greek word translated "only begotten" is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind" (BAGD; Third Edition).

Your argument is the same one used by those who deny that the Lord Jesus is God. Is that the argument which you are making? If not, then what I said earlier stands:

The meaning of the words "Son of..." when it is regard to "man" must have the same connotation of the words "Son of..." when it is in regard to God. And it is plain that the Lord Jesus was not born into anything, since with Him there is no beginning. So then we can understand that when the words "Son of Man" are used the reference is in regard to Him being a Man and it has nothing to do with Him being born of Mary.​

I said He took on a new nature--He became a human being, where He never was one before. And despite that, He (somehow) remains the same as He always was. He is still God; He is still powerful; he is still good; He still never lies; He never goes back on a promise; He is still.... Somehow (and I don't understand how) He is able to be both at the same time.

Again, if the Lord Jesus took on a new nature when He came to the earth then it is impossible to argue that He remained the same as He was before. Your idea contradicts what is said here:

Yes, what a marvelous and inexplicable change!!! Like I said, you DO believe Jesus experienced a monumental change.

Paul speaks about the "inner man." Paul also uses the term "clothed upon" when referring to our different bodies. Therefore, we can understand that the body is not the man. So the Lord Jesus' nature did not change when He was clothed with a natural body.

Yes, I agree that those verses are referring to the same thing, and yes, that would be a huge change! But without that, the bible loses its message of reconciliation of God and man.

No, in order to make reconciliation the Lord had to put on a mortal body:

"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" (Ro.5:10).​

Your first sentence is contradicted by your second sentence. You say man's nature is not to tell lies, but Balaam said if you lie, you are like the people of earth, thus defining one aspect of man's nature.

If it is a person's "nature" which leads him to sin and we come out of the womb with that kind of nature then how can the LORD declare us "guilty" when we sin? The responsibilty for that sin would fall upon Him who created us that way.

A good follow-up question would be to ask if that's the nature Jesus took on himself, and I would definitely say "no" (He was tempted like man in every way, yet without sin--Heb 4:15). So it's quite possible to distinguish 2 natures of man, one that is sinful (called a "sin nature"), and one that is what God made us as (physical and earthy, but still very good).

The Lord Jesus was made like us in every way (Heb.2:17). It is absurd to argue that He was made like us in every way but at the same time we are made with a sin nature and He was not.

Abraham was a non-eternal being, therefore to have a relationship with Him, God would have to change, at least in some way, when He created Abraham.

The LORD does not have to change His very "nature" in order to have a relationship with His creatures, does He?

Let us look at this verse again and the comments which I made about it:

Since the LORD looks at the heart of man (1 Sam.16:7) then He would know for sure whether or not Abraham feared Him. Therefore, He certainly did not need to see any of Abraham's actions in order to know whether he feared Him or not.​

With these thing in mind are you willing to argue that the verse should be understood in a "literal" manner and we are supposed to believe that the LORD did not really know until Abraham offered up his son that he feared Him? Please keep in mind what is said about Abraham earlier (Gen.15:6).

Let us look at this verse again:

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).​

The highlighted word is not in the text of the verse.

The Greek word translated "no man" means "not even one (man, woman or thing)" (Strong's Definitions).

So the verse is saying that "no man" has ascended up to heaven except for the MAN who came down from heaven. That means that it was as MAN that the Lord Jesus came down to earth and therefore He was MAN when He was in heaven before He came to the earth.

There is no other way that verse can be interpreted.

Your comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

themuzicman

No, Peter was answering a question there.

Do you stick with your idea that Paul "commanded" men to eternal life and after that every one of those so commanded believed?

In Acts 13:48, where Paul commanded the Gentiles there, yes. That's what the text says.

This wouldn't apply to every instance where Paul preached.

We've been over this already. You lost this point.

Jerry Shugart

In Acts 13:48, where Paul commanded the Gentiles there, yes. That's what the text says.

The verse does not say that it was Paul who "ordained" or "appointed" men to eternal life. Only the LORD can do that!

According to your mistaken view Paul COMMANDED men to eternal life and every one of those so commanded believed!

themuzicman

The verse does not say that it was Paul who "ordained" or "appointed" men to eternal life. Only the LORD can do that!

Your systematic theology's conclusions are in conflict with the text of Scripture, as already shown.

According to your mistaken view Paul COMMANDED men to eternal life and every one of those so commanded believed!

44 The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 But when the Jews[d] saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began to contradict what was spoken by Paul, reviling him. 46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,

“‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”
48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

You can call the bible mistaken in preference for your systematic theology if you want, but I'll stick to the text of Scripture.

The active agent is the actor in a text with a passive verb that has no indirect object. That active agent is Paul's preaching. I know you don't like it, but that's the context

Jerry Shugart

You can call the bible mistaken in preference for your systematic theology if you want, but I'll stick to the text of Scripture.

Your understanding of the text of the Scriptures is flawed because you lack common sense.

The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any instance of Paul "commanding" people to eternal life and as a result all those who were commanded believed. I have searched the various translations and not even one of them what the word "commanded" in this verse:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48).​

The LORD is the only Being in the entire universe who can "ordain" or "appoint" anyone to eternal life.

Derf

So are you saying that the Lord Jesus as God had a beginning?
I never said Jesus as God had a beginning. I said Jesus as man had a beginning. You seem to conflate the two, probably because "beginning" suggests time AND change, both for the created and the creator.
That idea is really strange. One of the definitions of the Greek word translated "only begotten" is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind" (BAGD; Third Edition).

Your argument is the same one used by those who deny that the Lord Jesus is God. Is that the argument which you are making? If not, then what I said earlier stands:

The meaning of the words "Son of..." when it is regard to "man" must have the same connotation of the words "Son of..." when it is in regard to God. And it is plain that the Lord Jesus was not born into anything, since with Him there is no beginning. So then we can understand that when the words "Son of Man" are used the reference is in regard to Him being a Man and it has nothing to do with Him being born of Mary.​
I disagree. His title of "Son of man" has everything to do with His being a man, which happened when He was conceived in and born of Mary. There's no indication from any of the scriptures you've provided that Jesus was a man before He was born of Mary. And there are plenty of indications that He wasn't, as I've provided. If Jesus was the first man, then how is Adam called the first man? If Jesus preceded Adam as a man, how is Jesus called the "last Adam"?

Again, if the Lord Jesus took on a new nature when He came to the earth then it is impossible to argue that He remained the same as He was before. Your idea contradicts what is said here:

I agree with what you are saying--that Jesus taking on a new nature--is contradictory to that verse IF you define the terms in that verse the way you define them. But if you define them that way, then everything about God and Jesus that is relational to created/non-eternal beings also contradicts your definitions. Therefore I suggest you find some new definitions.

Paul speaks about the "inner man." Paul also uses the term "clothed upon" when referring to our different bodies. Therefore, we can understand that the body is not the man. So the Lord Jesus' nature did not change when He was clothed with a natural body.
Which was a change--maybe not in His nature, but it was a change, nonetheless. At some point you will have to deal with this idea that the "changeless" verses must allow for some kinds of change, since you keep talking about the changes that Jesus experienced.

No, in order to make reconciliation the Lord had to put on a mortal body:

"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" (Ro.5:10).​
So if you were to put on a spiritual body, would that be a change for you? If then after having a spiritual body, you were to put on a mortal body again (I'm not suggesting this is or is not possible, it's hypothetical), would that be a change for you? Please answer yes or not before you pontificate on the deeper meanings.

If it is a person's "nature" which leads him to sin and we come out of the womb with that kind of nature then how can the LORD declare us "guilty" when we sin? The responsibilty for that sin would fall upon Him who created us that way.
This is an interesting question that I haven't fully worked through. My first answer is that God didn't "create" us that way, He created us very good, but He created us "in Adam". So whatever happened to Adam also happened to us. So if Adam failed the test, essentially we all failed the test in him. And to pass the test at this point requires us to be "in" someone else, someone who has passed the test. Maybe you can guess who I might be referring to.

The Lord Jesus was made like us in every way (Heb.2:17). It is absurd to argue that He was made like us in every way but at the same time we are made with a sin nature and He was not.
Ok, then if we are sinners, and Jesus was made like us in "every way", then He must have been made a sinner. Whether you call that a sin nature, or a sin propensity, or something else, Jesus wasn't like that, yet all of us are. Jesus was made like us in everyway, excluding at least that one way. "Every" doesn't always mean what you want it to mean. It's used in a way that allows for some categories that don't apply. The same is true of "change". God is changed in some ways, but not in others. The trick is for us to figure out which are which.

The LORD does not have to change His very "nature" in order to have a relationship with His creatures, does He?
No, but once you allow for changes that are not to "His very nature", then we have to start a discussion on what changes are allowed.

Let us look at this verse again and the comments which I made about it:

Since the LORD looks at the heart of man (1 Sam.16:7) then He would know for sure whether or not Abraham feared Him. Therefore, He certainly did not need to see any of Abraham's actions in order to know whether he feared Him or not.​

With these thing in mind are you willing to argue that the verse should be understood in a "literal" manner and we are supposed to believe that the LORD did not really know until Abraham offered up his son that he feared Him? Please keep in mind what is said about Abraham earlier (Gen.15:6).
I'm feeling rather dense. I can't figure out why this has much to do with the conversation. The best I can figure out is that since it came from the conversation about Abraham being God's friend, and since you're using this to say that some passages are not to be taken literally, it must mean that you think God was not literally Abraham's friend. If I'm on the right track, please tell me what God was in regard to Abraham, and why is He not able to be a friend to any human.

Let us look at this verse again:

The Greek word translated "no man" means "not even one (man, woman or thing)" (Strong's Definitions).

So the verse is saying that "no man" has ascended up to heaven except for the MAN who came down from heaven. That means that it was as MAN that the Lord Jesus came down to earth and therefore He was MAN when He was in heaven before He came to the earth.

There is no other way that verse can be interpreted.
Sure there is. I've provided you an alternate translation already, but you've rejected it. So what I think I'm hearing from you is that you are the only one that can decide how that verse is translated. I hope you aren't saying that, but that's what it sounds like.

But for just a moment, I'll concede to your translation--that Jesus has always been a man. Now, I think you'll agree with me that Jesus was not dead in heaven, right? And He wasn't a baby in heaven, right? So when He came down from heaven and began life as a baby, that was a pretty significant change for him, right? Or maybe He was a baby in heaven, but then He came to earth and had to grow up like the rest of men. And when He grew teeth for the first time, and was weaned from His mother's breasts, and lost His baby teeth, and grew from somewhere around 20 inches long to somewhere greater than 5 feet tall, and when He got hungry, etc., He had never experienced those things in heaven, had He? And puberty--wow--imagine the changeless one talking with a resonating baritone voice when He was a baby. That must have been a shock to His mother and earthly father. And when He died on the cross, that was a pretty significant change for Him, right? So, with all of these significant changes we're talking about, how can you say that those "changeless" verses mean He never experienced any change whatsoever?

The fact that He "came down" from heaven, as well as "ascended" to heaven, are both changes--pretty significant ones, 'cause nobody else had done either of those things before. And Jesus had never done those things before the world was made.

themuzicman

Your understanding of the text of the Scriptures is flawed because you lack common sense.

The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any instance of Paul "commanding" people to eternal life and as a result all those who were commanded believed. I have searched the various translations and not even one of them what the word "commanded" in this verse:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48).​

The LORD is the only Being in the entire universe who can "ordain" or "appoint" anyone to eternal life.

I'm sure that you will, as many who believe as you do, insist on refuting Scripture with Scripture, invalidly using your systematic theology to refute the exegesis of this passage. However, your attempts will not be valid, as exegesis should change our systematic theology, and not the other way.

And it does not matter that this reference isn't used of Paul. It is possible that this is the only instance where Paul preached in this way. It is possible that Luke used this word in this passage for a particular reason. Regardless of the reasons, Luke communicated in this particular way in this particular passage, clearly leaving Paul's preaching as the only active agent to supply an actor for the passive verb.

Given this truth, you have committed the fallacy of assuming the conclusion, which results in what I've already pointed out: You're refuting Scripture with Scripture, and that's not valid exegesis, and is a microcosm of how you do theology in general: You assume your theology, and then go in search of Scriptures that appear to say what you want, and then try to defend them by saying that you theology says it must be exegeted your way, when a correct exegesis of the passage doesn't support you.

Jerry Shugart

Hi Derf,

Earlier I said:

If the Lord Jesus took on a new nature when He came to the earth then it is impossible to argue that He remained the same as He was before. Your idea contradicts what is said here:

To this you said:

I agree with what you are saying--that Jesus taking on a new nature--is contradictory to that verse IF you define the terms in that verse the way you define them. But if you define them that way, then everything about God and Jesus that is relational to created/non-eternal beings also contradicts your definitions. Therefore I suggest you find some new definitions.

Please tell me exactly in what way is the Lord Jesus the same yesterday, and today and forever?

So if you were to put on a spiritual body, would that be a change for you? If then after having a spiritual body, you were to put on a mortal body again (I'm not suggesting this is or is not possible, it's hypothetical), would that be a change for you? Please answer yes or not before you pontificate on the deeper meanings.

It would not change my nature because I am a man now and when I put on my spiritual body I will still be a man.

Now let us look at these two verses again:

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?"
(Jn.6:62).​

In both of these verses it is made plain that the Lord Jesus was in heaven as a man before He came to the earth. I said that there is no other way to interpret the verse other than that way.

To which you answered:

I've provided you an alternate translation already, but you've rejected it.

Frankly,I couldn't make heads or tails about what you said. Could you please try again? And while you are at it, please explain what Paul said in this verse:

"The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven" (1 Cor.15:47).​

Here Paul is explict when He identifies the Lord Jesus as "man." And the meaning of the Greek word translated "from" denotes "origin--the point whence action or motion proceeds" (Strong's Definitions).

Therefore, we can understand that the place from which the MAN Lord Jesus came from is heaven.

Now let us look at this verse:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

If we are born with a "sin nature" then that means that the Lord Jesus was also born with a sin nature. And we both know that isn't true. That means that people do not come out of the womb with a sin nature. Men are born with a free will so when they sin they cannot blame it on their nature.

I appreciate your comments, Derf.

Jerry Shugart

I'm sure that you will, as many who believe as you do, insist on refuting Scripture with Scripture, invalidly using your systematic theology to refute the exegesis of this passage.

I did no such thing. I just pointed out that if we are to believe your interpretation of this verse we must throw our reason to the wind:

According to your idea this verse is saying that Paul commanded these men to eternal life and every one so commanded believed. You fail to realize that only the LORD can ordain or appoint men to eternal life. And I could not find even one translation of the verse where the word "commanded" is used.

You're refuting Scripture with Scripture, and that's not valid exegesis, and is a microcosm of how you do theology in general

What Scripture did I use to refute what you said or to refute Acts 13:48?

themuzicman

I did no such thing. I just pointed out that if we are to believe your interpretation of this verse we must throw our reason to the wind:

According to your idea this verse is saying that Paul commanded these men to eternal life and every one so commanded believed. You fail to realize that only the LORD can ordain or appoint men to eternal life. And I could not find even one translation of the verse where the word "commanded" is used.

Man's reason is foolishness to God. If you want to use your own reasoning to refute Scripture, you're free to do so, but don't expect others to follow you.

Further, you have not addressed the fundamental exegetical issue with your interpretation, that being the fact that a passive verb without an indirect object takes on the actor in the passage itself as the agent engaging in the act, and the fact that Paul's preaching is the active agent in this passage. Your conclusion does not fit the text, it fails hermeneutically, and it fails exegetically.

What Scripture did I use to refute what you said or to refute Acts 13:48?

All of the other scriptures (that you probably exegete just as poorly) that you used to form your systematic theology. At least I assume that you claim that your systematic theology is based upon Scripture. It is, right?

themuzicman

Keep in mind that if you can make the case that God elects individually from other Scriptures, the fact that this one doesn't support your theology doesn't prevent you from holding that view. You just can't use this verse to support that theology.

Jerry Shugart

Further, you have not addressed the fundamental exegetical issue with your interpretation, that being the fact that a passive verb without an indirect object takes on the actor in the passage itself as the agent engaging in the act, and the fact that Paul's preaching is the active agent in this passage. Your conclusion does not fit the text, it fails hermeneutically, and it fails exegetically.

If your idea is correct then we must stand reason on its head in order to believe what Paul said here is speaking about Paul "commanding the Gentile to eternal life," as you imagine:

"Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed"
(Acts 13:46-48).​

There is absolutely nothing found in the "context" that even hints that Paul "commanded" these Gentiles to eternal life. The only "command" spoken of in this passage is the one which the Lord commanded Paul and Barnabas to be the light of the Gentiles.

You just refuse to believe what is written here. Instead, your imagination runs wild in your zeal to defend your preconceived ideas!