• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

What is the best explanation for Polystrate Fossils?

carolus magnus

Emperor of the Known Universe
LIFETIME MEMBER
Polystrate Fossils seems to be a favorite topic among Creationists. I see it mentioned almost every time they discuss geology.

I'm curious how non-creationist geologists explain them?

I read this article on Talk Origins which seems to be saying creationists are stupid and out of date for using this as evidence for a global flood since this was explained over a century ago by geologists. Yet when I read it he seems to be saying exactly what creationists are saying. They are the result of rapid layering of sediment. What am I missing?

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/polystrate/trees.html

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This video mentions a couple things from the common descent perspective:

What's wrong with this explanation is that there are a number of polystrate fossils not found near coal beds or volcanoes. And since this is a black swan problem, it only takes a single exception for the entire theory to collapse. Beyond that, volcanism was rife in the flood. There are not a lot of places that don't have volcanic activity somewhere in the huge number of layers we have covering the earth. But one cannot always point to some layer of ash and connect it to the polystrate fossil in question as the cause.

But it gets far far worse for the common descentist. Those layers the polystrate fossils are in frequently continent sized. The idea that a pin-prick sized incidents like Mount Saint Helens (pin-prick sized compared to the size and thickness of the layers polystrate fossils are in) caused polystrate fossils all over the world is laughable.

And it continues to get worse for the common descentist. It isn't just trees, but all kinds of other things, like fossil whales, going through multiple layers. And remember, this is a black swan problem. With every problem the theory needs new epi-epicycles to explain.

And it gets even worse. Very often the fossil trees have been squished. Flattened. In their living state before they became fossilized. The energy required to do this is mind-boggling. It not only links the layers the polystrate fossil is in, but the layers 250 ft stacked on top if it!

In the end, the video doesn't even get into the topic of polystrate fossils, much less provide an explanation for them.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
This video mentions a couple things from the common descent perspective:

ut it gets far far worse for the common descentist. Those layers the polystrate fossils are in frequently continent sized. The idea that a pin-prick sized incidents like Mount Saint Helens (pin-prick sized compared to the size and thickness of the layers polystrate fossils are in) caused polystrate fossils all over the world is laughable.

Citation to the literature for this statement, thanks.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Typically, Darwinists ask for a citation so that they can holler: "See, the people you cite are Darwinists like me!"
And he needs citations for what? That polystrate fossils are all over? That polystrate fossils vary in depth? That layers are huge? That more than trees are polystrate? That the fossils show flattening before they fossilized?

All those things are so basic that the only reason to ask for citations is because they aren't interested in discussing the topic honestly.

So, Jonagdog, since you've never engaged in conversation before I've had you on ignore for years. Let's say I'm right and all the things I've mentioned are correct - would that make you understand how the excuses in the video are flimsy?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
So, Jonagdog, since you've never engaged in conversation before I've had you on ignore for years. Let's say I'm right and all the things I've mentioned are correct - would that make you understand how the excuses in the video are flimsy?

The specific request was for you to support the claim that with respect to polystrate fossils, they are, at least some, found in continent wide rock layers. If you are correct in that statement provide evidence in the scientific literature supporting your claim. Simple straight forward request.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
The specific request was for you to support the claim that with respect to polystrate fossils, they are, at least some, found in continent wide rock layers. If you are correct in that statement provide evidence in the scientific literature supporting your claim. Simple straight forward request.

Would you say that something someone believes/claims cannot be/is not a fact unless it is, itself, supported by a fact?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jonahdog doesn't seem to know (or believe) that rock layers can be continent-sized. :idunno:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Would you say that something someone believes/claims cannot be/is not a fact unless it is, itself, supported by a fact?

Since it has been suggested that he was just expressing an opinion, who cares. But in general if someone tells you something specific you would expect they have the underlying evidence to support the claim.
But to respond to your question, if I said i believed a blue unicorn lived in my back yard, the belief is a fact but not based on reality. I guess I was just doing a reality check.
It is a fact that polystrate fossils exist. How they came to be should not be based on a belief without underlying facts and evidence.

Last edited:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Jonahdog doesn't seem to know (or believe) that rock layers can be continent-sized. :idunno:

At the risk getting a standard Stripe non-answer, or a complaint that I do not understand Stripe is just stating a belief, Stripe, please provide evidence that some, all, a few of the famous polystrate fossils are found in rock layers that span continents.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At the risk getting a standard Stripe non-answer, or a complaint that I do not understand Stripe is just stating a belief, Stripe, please provide evidence that some, all, a few of the famous polystrate fossils are found in rock layers that span continents.

How about you tell us which ones you consider "famous" and which ones are not. :rolleyes:

Right Divider

Body part
Oh, I'm sorry, I did not realize that Yorzhik was just expressing an opinion. I thought he was making a comment based on real world evidence.

Your reading comprehension is near zero. Reread my post until you understand it.

Apparently you worship scientific literature.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Your reading comprehension is near zero. Reread my post until you understand it.

Apparently you worship scientific literature.

Nope, I understood it. Apparently neither Yorzhik nor you are able to provide information on the continent wide rock strata that Yorzhik opined about. No need to discuss further.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

See post 13 which I just edited because it appears I had a brain spasm in the midst of writing it the first time. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find the blue unicorn I mentioned. Well, not really, life is too short not to go fishing. You all have a nice day, and if you have a chance, put a mask on and visit your local university science departments for the truth.