BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKevman

logos_x said:
Your "explanations" deny too much of scripture to be accepted.

Denying false interpretations of Scriptures and Scriptures taken completely out of context is not denying Scriptures. Rather we affirm the whole of Scripture and not just the parts we like. We don't try to explain away the parts we don't like by saying "those evil damnationalists have just translated this all wrong to obscure the REAL meaning". :chuckle:

Universalism is garbage because it denies whole portions of the Word of God and attempts to hide that denial behind scholarly sounding arguments and bickering about meanings of words.

We showed throughout the Battle Royale and this debate how flawed Universalism is, and yet the Universalists would go through it all over again for all the rest of their lives because they are only here to blindly defend Universalism and not to discuss issues and come to a true understanding of the Scriptures.

And the silly thing is to see you continue to use terms like "damnationalist" is classic. Universalists already know that their position is wrong, so they invent terms like "damnationalist" when nobody who holds our positions would ever call themselves that. We are Biblicists. We love God. We love the Bible. We don't love perversions of the Bible.

Some Universalists actually call themselves Universalists and are not ashamed of it, but you would't hear me call myself a "damnationalist" because it is a stupid term that is only used to try to invoke emotional responses.

PKevman

logos_x said:
Your "explanations" deny too much of scripture to be accepted.

Liar. Please name one Scripture that I have denied. This is point blank dishonesty. I have never denied Scripture.

Ecumenicist

PastorKevin said:
Liar. Please name one Scripture that I have denied. This is point blank dishonesty. I have never denied Scripture.

How about Christ reconciling all things unto Himself?

How about "God is Love?"

How about "Love thy neighbor," "Love thy enemies?"

How about "As we forgive those who sin against us?"

How about:

Matt9:2 And behold, they brought to Him a man sick with the palsy, lying on a bed. And Jesus, seeing their faith, said unto the one sick with the palsy, "Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee."

3And behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, "This man blasphemeth."

4And Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why think ye evil in your hearts?

5For which is easier: to say, `Thy sins be forgiven thee,' or to say, `Arise and walk'?

6But that ye may know that the Son of Man hath power on earth to forgive sins,"-- (then said He to the one sick with palsy) "Arise, take up thy bed and go unto thine house."

How about "Father forgive them, they know not what they are doing?"

The Christ who is willing and able to forgive those who are in the process of nailing
Him to the Cross is certainly willing and capable of forgiving others.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Balder said:
Sounds like somebody doesn't like people very much, and prefers to hold on to anger.

Really? Loving God first is hateful or requiring people to actually want forgiveness before offering it is hateful?

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Really? Loving God first is hateful or requiring people to actually want forgiveness before offering it is hateful?

How about punishments in the form of negative judgments to cause their wanting it?
Eternal misery from which there is no escape fly's in the face of your demands.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
Denying false interpretations of Scriptures and Scriptures taken completely out of context is not denying Scriptures. Rather we affirm the whole of Scripture and not just the parts we like. We don't try to explain away the parts we don't like by saying "those evil damnationalists have just translated this all wrong to obscure the REAL meaning". :chuckle:

Denying false interpretations is exactly what I'm doing. As I've pointed out several times you can believe every scripture in the Bible and believe in Universal Salvation. The only thing is that our several of our English Bibles make an "endless" aion out of "hell"...when the Bible in the Hebrew and the Greek NEVER does.

Universalism is garbage because it denies whole portions of the Word of God and attempts to hide that denial behind scholarly sounding arguments and bickering about meanings of words.

Eternal torment is garbage because it denies whole portions of the Word of God and attempts to hide that denial behind scholarly sounding arguments and bickering about meanings of words.

We showed throughout the Battle Royale and this debate how flawed Universalism is, and yet the Universalists would go through it all over again for all the rest of their lives because they are only here to blindly defend Universalism and not to discuss issues and come to a true understanding of the Scriptures.

We showed throughout the Battle Royale and this debate how flawed eternal torment is, and yet the eternal tormentors would go through it all over again for all the rest of their lives because they are only here to blindly defend eternal torment and not to discuss issues and come to a true understanding of the Scriptures.

And the silly thing is to see you continue to use terms like "damnationalist" is classic. Universalists already know that their position is wrong, so they invent terms like "damnationalist" when nobody who holds our positions would ever call themselves that. We are Biblicists. We love God. We love the Bible. We don't love perversions of the Bible.

You keep using the word "universalist"...I doubt you would want to be called one in your current state of mind about what that means...so, you believe in eternal damnation...what would you like to be called? :think: Are you embarrassed about that label?

Some Universalists actually call themselves Universalists and are not ashamed of it, but you would't hear me call myself a "damnationalist" because it is a stupid term that is only used to try to invoke emotional responses.

Actually, the reason I make the distiction is because not all "universalists" are Christians....so lopping off "Christian" or "Salvation" is in reality missing the point.
I belive everyone has to be "saved" in order to get to Heaven, Kevin. I simply beleive that "hell" is purposful in saving all things.

Many "universalists" do away with Gods judgements completely...or attempt to do so in their theology. I don't.

Some "universalists" are also "unitarians"...I'm not.

Now...if you were me...and you have already expressed how you feel about the picture the label "damnationalist" paints...how would you appreciate being labeled a "universalist" when it misses the mark as completely for me as "damnationalist" does for you?

We are both guilty of the same tactics in our arguments.

Ecumenicist

Nineveh said:
How about Love God, first?

Debating this expresses Love of God first and foremost, from both perspectives.
We're concerned about God's words being misrepresented, an scripture ignored
as well.

The difference is, we've answered every scriptural challenge, but our Scriptural challenges
are dismissed, even as Christ's Words are dismissed by Kevin.

How about ...and if they repent, forgive them?

Not what Jesus said in the Lord's Prayer.

How about quoting scripture out of context? We've been around on this before Nin,
the "forgive" scripture refers to preserving the community from schizm within, while
Christ's words pertain to inter-personal relationships.

Believe it or not, it is possible to exclude destructive elements from a group but not hold
a personal grudge against them, even to forgive them.

It's called "getting on with your life." People do this every day, its Christ's Commandment,
and its healthy.

Ecumenicist

logos_x said:
Now...if you were me...and you have already expressed how you feel about the picture the label "damnationalist" paints...how would you appreciate being labeled a "universalist" when it misses the mark as completely for me as "damnationalist" does for you?

We are both guilty of the same tactics in our arguments.

Great point, Logos. What shall we call this form of Universalism?

Purgationalism?

Reconciliationalism?

Other?

Balder

Nineveh said:
Loving God first is not hateful. But refusing to forgive someone before they explicitly ask for it sounds like a recipe for bitterness.

PKevman

logos_x said:
Denying false interpretations is exactly what I'm doing.

No you are denying the very words themselves. Big difference.

As I've pointed out several times you can believe every scripture in the Bible and believe in Universal Salvation.

How about Daniel 12:2? Can you believe that one?

The only thing is that our several of our English Bibles make an "endless" aion out of "hell"...when the Bible in the Hebrew and the Greek NEVER does.

I am so through with the "aion" argument with you. We have been over it 500 times and will not bring anything new to the table at this point. You say the Bible in the Hebrew and Greek never makes aion endless when it speaks of hell. Multitudes of Greek scholars disagree with you. Prove to me why your translation is better than theirs. You still haven't.

Oh and Daniel 12:2 doesn't contain the word aion in it. Something I have given you tons of opportunites to respond to and you still have not.

Eternal torment is garbage because it denies whole portions of the Word of God and attempts to hide that denial behind scholarly sounding arguments and bickering about meanings of words.

Is repeating my arguments and inserting your own really beneficial to your point? Can you not refute what is said with your own logic? Maybe you need to paste some more tentmaker stuff to let the false teachers respond for you?

We showed throughout the Battle Royale and this debate how flawed eternal torment is, and yet the eternal tormentors would go through it all over again for all the rest of their lives because they are only here to blindly defend eternal torment and not to discuss issues and come to a true understanding of the Scriptures.

This is non-responsive and is simply repeating what I said and inserting your own terms. Grow up Stephen!

you believe in eternal damnation...what would you like to be called?

Already answered in my post: I am a Biblicist. I believe the Bible. Period. Next.

Actually, the reason I make the distiction is because not all "universalists" are Christians....so lopping off "Christian" or "Salvation" is in reality missing the point.
I belive everyone has to be "saved" in order to get to Heaven, Kevin. I simply beleive that "hell" is purposful in saving all things.

Everyone has to be "saved"? Why do you put "hell" and "saved" in quotes.

Many "universalists" do away with Gods judgements completely...or attempt to do so in their theology. I don't.

Sure you do, you just attempt to come over to the middle a little bit to make your arguments appear more Biblical than the Unitarians.

Some "universalists" are also "unitarians"...I'm not.

What you say is mostly regurgitated Unitarianism with a Christian label.

We are both guilty of the same tactics in our arguments

No we are not Stephen. I have made my arguments and positions based upon what the Bible says, not based upon what some shmuck at Tentmaker has to say. People like Preston Eby have deceived many into believing false teaching.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
No you are denying the very words themselves. Big difference.

Show one place in the Greek or the Hebrew where the Hebrew "olam" is said to be endless when talking about judgments...or the Greek aion is said to be endless in regard to the wicked. Kevin.

You can't...and when I point that out, you say I'm denying the words?
Classic.

How about Daniel 12:2? Can you believe that one?

The word translated "everlasting" there is OLAM. It is the Hebrew equivilent of the Greek work aion. Olam would need a qualifier that would make it an "endless" amount of "time"...to make it an endless situation.

There is no qualifier making it an "endless" olam. It is an olam...that is what the Word of God says.

It is not denying the Word of God to point out a word means what it means and there is no other word that makes this olam "endless" in the Hebrew text.

I am so through with the "aion" argument with you. We have been over it 500 times and will not bring anything new to the table at this point. You say the Bible in the Hebrew and Greek never makes aion endless when it speaks of hell. Multitudes of Greek scholars disagree with you. Prove to me why your translation is better than theirs. You still haven't.

Show me where the olam or the aion has another word that means endless qualifying it as endless when related to punishments or judgments in the Hebrew and the Greek and I'll drop it. A word that means age cannot mean eternal unless it says it is endless. It doesn't.

Prove to me why your translation is true to the original language. You still haven't.

The MAJORITY of greek speaking christians never came to the conclusion that chastisment was endless for the first 5 or 6 centuries of the church. Why? How can THAT happen if the scholars you are depending on are right about the words involved?

Oh and Daniel 12:2 doesn't contain the word aion in it. Something I have given you tons of opportunites to respond to and you still have not.

Olam is the same kind of word as aion...it's just Hebrew and not Greek. It is the Old Testament word for "age"...and UNDETERMINED time.

Is repeating my arguments and inserting your own really beneficial to your point? Can you not refute what is said with your own logic? Maybe you need to paste some more tentmaker stuff to let the false teachers respond for you?

I was demonstrating how ineffective YOUR argument is. All it did was re-state what YOU think of Universal Salvation. I could make the very same arguments on my end. You can see how effective it actually is.

I agree with the Tentmaker "stuff". Maybe you should show where it is false first.

This is non-responsive and is simply repeating what I said and inserting your own terms. Grow up Stephen!

See above.
And you grow up...

you believe in eternal damnation...what would you like to be called?

Already answered in my post: I am a Biblicist. I believe the Bible. Period. Next.

We are both Biblicists, Kevin, yet you label me and don't want to be labeled yourself. Next.

Everyone has to be "saved"? Why do you put "hell" and "saved" in quotes.

Because I don't agree with your interpretation of the Word of God concerning "hell"...and "save' is what you fail to see in EVERYONE being "saved".

Sure you do, you just attempt to come over to the middle a little bit to make your arguments appear more Biblical than the Unitarians.

Ther is a huge difference between what I'm saying and what "unitarians" say. I had to look up "universalist" to see what they believe. I believe in the 100% success of the Gospel in saving all mankind. Maybe THIS is why you have so much trouble understanding my arguments...you are reading into them a completely different theologic veiw than mine.

What you say is mostly regurgitated Unitarianism with a Christian label.

Apparently, you have no comprehension skills.

No we are not Stephen. I have made my arguments and positions based upon what the Bible says, not based upon what some shmuck at Tentmaker has to say. People like Preston Eby have deceived many into believing false teaching.

Actually...it is based on some schmuck like those at CARM or the myriad other sites that say the same thing you say.

You believe what you do because it is what you have been taught. I have repeatedly shown where what people like you say does not line up well with the scriptures themselves...then you want to say it's all garbage, even when I make a very Biblical argument.

You have a logical construct...so do I. We both make Biblical arguments in support of our view...and also say the opposing view is a false teaching. How are our arguments not similar in our approach?

PKevman

Actually it all has been responded to numerous times in this thread by myself and others and in the Battle Royale. You think that by continuing to argue the same things over and over again and by kicking a dead dog :dog: over and over again that you can somehow make it come to life. Dead dogs stay dead! Universalism is false teaching. Same concept. :dog:

red77

PastorKevin said:
Actually it all has been responded to numerous times in this thread by myself and others and in the Battle Royale. You think that by continuing to argue the same things over and over again and by kicking a dead dog :dog: over and over again that you can somehow make it come to life. Dead dogs stay dead! Universalism is false teaching. Same concept. :dog:

And your responses have been refuted time and time again also, Aimiel has had nothing to say but shout 'heresy' practically for the last 15 posts, your recent posts have been nothing more than the 'universalism is false' soundbite rubbish under a variety of guises, this 'dead dog' stuff is a prime example of no substance at all....if God isnt capable of being 100% sucessful in his ability to accomplish his will then it would take more than that to convince me thanks....but you carry on believing that God created the world with the express intention of being happy enough to restore a fration of it if you will - while torturing billions of people into the bargain..... :rain:
And you wonder why I call you on the 'Hitler' strawman - which I notice you never did get around to responding to, I wonder why.............:rolleyes:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
How about punishments in the form of negative judgments to cause their wanting it?
Eternal misery from which there is no escape fly's in the face of your demands.

Really? Paul tells us we are without excuse.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Dave Miller said:
Debating this expresses Love of God first and foremost, from both perspectives. We're concerned about God's words being misrepresented, an scripture ignored as well.

Oddly enough, you always seem to forget Loving God with your whole being comes before your favorite part to quote "love your neighbor".

Believe it or not, it is possible to exclude destructive elements from a group but not hold a personal grudge against them, even to forgive them.

Of course you can forgive people who don't want it. You can cheapen repentance and forgiveness, why hold value for something you haven't any idea about?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Balder said:
Loving God first is not hateful. But refusing to forgive someone before they explicitly ask for it sounds like a recipe for bitterness.

Why must one be bitter? Is that somehow a prerequisite for withholding forgiveness? Why force someone to take something they obviously could care less about?

Status
Not open for further replies.