New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarnestBorg9

Hello all!
Not sure if this is the place to post my first post, but I wanted to say that I have read a more than a few threads and I like the spirit of most of the people here.
To introduce myself, I am not a Christian (although I used to believe), was an atheist and now I like the teaches of Theosophy, Emergence and Buddhism. Not that I claim to have the patience to practice Theosophy or Buddhism except in passing, I 'feel' I have a more clearer understanding of things spiritual than I ever had before.

Are there any Theosophists here?

Tim

EarnestBorg9

allsmiles said:
Marty is one of my favorite movies.

welcome, bring a helmet.

Thanks for the welcome, allsmies!
Incidentally, I have never seen Marty, but EarnestBorg9 is the name of Wil Wheaton's comedy group, and I have a soft spot for the Borg, long live ST: TNG.

welcome, bring a helmet

I doubt that it's all that bad, everyone seems nice.

EarnestBorg9

Thanks, Crow nad Granite! BTW, I picked Agnostic because non of the others really fit. Agnostic doesn't fit either, as I understand the definition.

Lovejoy

EarnestBorg9 said:
EarnestBorg9 is the name of Wil Wheaton's comedy group,.
:shocked:
and I have a soft spot for the Borg, long live ST: TNG.
Ah, okay, being a star trek fan, and particularly of the Borg, is okay. But Wil Wheaton?! Thats just sick.
I doubt that it's all that bad, everyone seems nice
Alright, I take back the stuff about Wil Wheaton.

Aimiel

EarnestBorg9 said:
Thanks, Crow nad Granite! BTW, I picked Agnostic because non of the others really fit. Agnostic doesn't fit either, as I understand the definition.
OK, welcome. Hope you stick around. Just what defines your theology / philosophy? Why do you say agnostic doesn't fit? Do you think there 'might' be a God? Are you searching?

EarnestBorg9

Aimiel said:
OK, welcome. Hope you stick around. Just what defines your theology / philosophy? Why do you say agnostic doesn't fit? Do you think there 'might' be a God? Are you searching?

Thanks, Aimiel!
I'll start backwards:
Are you searching?
No, in fact, I was quite a content atheist when "it" happened, and all that I can describe "it" as, is an awakening. Nothing brought it on; in other words, nothing catastrophic, no meetings with people that tried to witness to me, no tv/radio show, no book, nothing caused me to start even giving the supernatural (for lack of a better word) another chance. In not searching at all, I was able to find (hopefully) what I was looking for. That being a sense of direction; I am in no way 'there' yet, but starting out.

Do you think there 'might' be a God?
I think that the name 'God' is a case of mistaken identity. Possibly through Emergence, the universe is (well, I believe anyway) sentient. The Force, the universe, God; "it's" all the same and we need to get back to him/her/it. Some are called, some need to go through more reincarnations before they can hear the still small voice. But, I do think that God, or at least the idea of God, is within us all.

Why do you say agnostic doesn't fit?
Because I do not believe in a personal God, and I think that Agnostics believe in the possibility of one.

Just what defines your theology / philosophy?
That's a big one; here goes.
Many people learn spiritual truths after they have abandoned those things that first appear to be spiritual, but are actually roadblocks, such as religion and doctrine. I have learned more about those things which are spiritual (hopefully) in the few years that I had no belief (atheist), than I did as 10 years as a Christian. You see, when I was an unbeliever I was not required to follow some statement of faith, a church schedule, doctrine or read a particular book of scriptures; rather I was free to decide what I believed and what I did not. Was it God that took this period of unbelief and cultivated the seed that had been planted but was choked by the weeds of religion and doctrine? I do not know, because I do not believe that what we as people call “God” is close to being accurate. The bible paints God as a warmonger, a being that creates evil, commands His people to kill villagers, rape the woman and slaughter the babies, a jealous (how can a PERFECT being be jealous, when this same being states that jealously is a sin?!?) insecure monster that allows an equally powerful yet evil being, the Devil/Satan (that He created) to tempt and ruin a man that has done nothing wrong (Job)? I could go on and on, but if the book known as the bible is our only map to enlightenment and perfection (God), then we are following a seriously messed up map.

The bible, religion, church services, choir, Sunday School (children put away from their parents in a supposed house that supports family almost on a militant level, places the children away from their parents instead of where they should be), fund drives, big projection screens, glittery signs and other crap have watered down one of beliefs that ‘could’ have led more people toward their choice of paths, but instead since the above atrocities are man made in the name of God, they have become a joke.
The philosophy that makes a lot of sense to me teaches mutual respect for ALL religions, ideas and philosophies, and I have to admit that is a tough order to fill. I am humbled in that I followed one of the trails that led to one of the paths, but not by my own cleverness, but by the fact that “it” led me in the midst of my unbelief. What greater proof of Enlightenment than that? For me, there is none, although it hardly qualifies as evidence; meaning, I cannot nor do I have the desire to "prove" any of my beliefs to anyone. The voice that I mentioned earlier does not speak all the time (or maybe I am not trying to hear it), but when it does, “it” has my full attention.
So much wisdom and knowledge has been shown, but I am not developed enough to understand much of it.

I have rambled yet again, and I apologize. But know this; I am now free to worship with others regardless of their faith, stand shoulder to shoulder with those that would oppose my beliefs because they are not the sanitized and safe beliefs of those in power and discuss matters of spirituality with others while being careful not to offend. Offending someone with spiritual arrogance not only pushes people away, but it tends to make the person behaving in that way less receptive to the wisdom that they seek.

Alright, I’ll stop for now, thanks for reading.

Aimiel

EarnestBorg9 said:
I have rambled yet again, and I apologize.
I don't feel that you strayed from the subject of the question or the thread as a whole at all. Thanks for telling us about yourself. I've had a similar experience, but with a different outcome. I decided a long time ago that what I was going to learn about God, if He really existed, was going to be straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I determined that His Word couldn't possibly answer the yearning deep down inside me to discover Truth, and that burning desire inside of me to know Truth told me that such a thing existed. I sought Him in many ways, saw glimpses of Him and heard enough rumors to end up pointed in the right direction. I found myself one day filled with His Spirit, secure in the knowledge that His Word (The Holy Bible) is Truth and that He isn't done speaking. I've received revelation knowledge from Him as well as prophecy. I believe that the purpose of life is to testify of Jesus, and that the testimony of Jesus is The Spirit of Prophecy. He has called me to the office of prophet, and I will not refuse Him. I've experience what happens when chastened by Him for not doing what is right. :eek:

Again, welcome to TOL, and we hope you'll be comfortable here. If you need anything, please contact your moderators, and they'll be more than happy to answer any questions, bring you a blanket or pillow or extra glass of champagne, so that your flight is more enjoyable. Please return to your seat, secure all carry-ons and fasten your safety belt, while we prepare for take-off. Thank you for flying TOL!!!

EarnestBorg9

Aimiel, thanks for the reply!
Not a big fan of the validity of the bible although I think there some good stories and examples.
Revelation has interested me because isn't it true that the moment the person to whom the revelation was revealed tells another, that it ceases to be revelation and becomes hearsay?
I 'feel' that I have obtained knowledge that many others have, but it is nothing that I read in a book, or heard; it was something that was given to me and others have learned it as well.

Aimiel

EarnestBorg9 said:
Not a big fan of the validity of the bible although I think there some good stories and examples.
God said that we'd find Him when we seek and search for Him with all of our hearts. He also said that we have to believe that He is, and that He is A Rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. I would urge you to seek Him. He said you'd find Him, and hasn't been proven wrong yet.
EarnestBorg9 said:
Revelation has interested me because isn't it true that the moment the person to whom the revelation was revealed tells another, that it ceases to be revelation and becomes hearsay? I 'feel' that I have obtained knowledge that many others have, but it is nothing that I read in a book, or heard; it was something that was given to me and others have learned it as well.
No, revelation knowledge is something that opens the understanding of those with whom that revelation is shared. Hearsay is all we have from reading The Bible, revelation knowledge occurs when The Holy Ghost witnesses together with our spirits that His Word is Truth. You need to be careful following what your feelings 'seem' to show you:

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

EarnestBorg9

Aimiel said:
God said that we'd find Him when we seek and search for Him with all of our hearts. He also said that we have to believe that He is, and that He is A Rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. I would urge you to seek Him. He said you'd find Him, and hasn't been proven wrong yet.

I think then that I as well as many others are the exception(s) to that rule. How can we seek Him if He calls us in the first place? If the faith to believe is based on a gift, and without the gift of faith we cannot believe, how can anyone be accountable for not believing?
Imagine if you broke you leg and you were rendered unconscious and brought before the doctor by another person. Your faith or lack thereof is irrelevant in the doctors abilities to heal you, rather it is the doctors skill in healing that will detemine if you recover quickly if at all. Seeking God always seemed a bit like cleaning up to take a bath; if He calls you, then it is already done.

Edited to add:
Mods, should I start a new thread? In introducing myself, I guess I started right in with an objection to organized Christianity!

Last edited:

On Fire

EarnestBorg9 said:
Mods, should I start a new thread? In introducing myself, I guess I started right in with an objection to organized Christianity!
By all means - start a new thread. We need another thread complaining about sinful people.

Lovejoy

an objection to organized Christianity!
Who are these organized Christians, and where can I find them? I am a Christian, and I spent an hour this morning just trying to find my checkbook! I want in!

Status
Not open for further replies.