toldailytopic: You are what you eat. How do you feel about genetically modified organ

LKmommy

I agree about Mansanto, but not for GMO's. Mansanto and our government are in collusion to make slaves out of farmers, and I'm only exagerating a little.

I get it. Monsanto I thought I read up on was not wanting to have to label what is GM with the FDA. Interesting spin on Monsanto's name. Farmer's will be forced to comply with either the Corporations or the Government if they want their subsidies. Consumers will suffer and pay for it all in the end either in health or in dollars. Seeing how I do not grow my own stuff, I am a slave to it all as well.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There is a reason God designed things to reproduce "after their own kind".

That is not what God says in Genesis.

Man is arrogant to invade other creatures and tinker around with their very basis of physical existence.

Domestication does that. But God gave us dominion over them. We just need to be responsible in how we do it..

The description of the "locusts" in Revelation 9 does not have to be seen as a spiritual allegory in a world where tinkering with dna takes place. A literal fulfillment is possible.

Can you enlarge on that idea a bit?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God designed plants and animals well. Every change from that design degrades the integrity of the original design.

When someone tells you a change is good, they are promoting one trait and pretending there can be no other effects. That's bad science.

Alate_One

God designed plants and animals well. Every change from that design degrades the integrity of the original design.

When someone tells you a change is good, they are promoting one trait and pretending there can be no other effects. That's bad science.

The level of stupid you're espousing is astounding, even for you.

In your parlance, don't you think taking part of one design and adding it to another organism could be useful at times?

Say . . . golden rice?

golden-rice-hero.jpg

One wonders if every change makes an organism worse, why have traditional breeders bothered making things like Red Delicious apples?

jeffblue101

There seems to be a under-reported phenomenon of animals avoiding GMO foods.

Obviously the video Is not a scientific test, since there are many untested reasons why the squirrel avoided the GMO tortilla but there seems to be trend in the Anti-GMO websites that there have been numerous observations of this particular effect happening with farm animals. I would love to try this at my apartment but my room is located too far away from trees.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's called applying the fundamentals of science. Evolutionists need those to be suspended.

In your parlance, don't you think taking part of one design and adding it to another organism could be useful at times?
It could be. If you were intimately aware of all the factors that went into the design.

One wonders if every change makes an organism worse, why have traditional breeders bothered making things like Red Delicious apples?
Because the short term benefits they see aren't forestalled by any measured degradation in their product.

You should really try to understand an idea before you start ranting against it. :up:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post

Stipe retorts:
It's called applying the fundamentals of science. Evolutionists need those to be suspended.

Says the guy who continues to refuse to show us his "math that refutes evolution."

Because all of science looks like magic to Stipe, he thinks it;s somehow different if you add a gene yourself, instead of waiting for one to mutate.

You should really try to understand an idea before you start ranting against it.

And I just had my irony meter recalibrated...

Alate_One

I've no idea.

But, typically, you've ignored the substance of the opposing idea in favour of promoting your own.
You never promoted any "opposing idea". I just gave you an opportunity to clarify and your response was "no idea", so apparently you don't actually have anything to say (big surprise).

My point is, whatever you believe about creation/evolution history has shown people have been able to be creative with the creation to solve specific problems. I don't see how you can claim those changes are universally bad when they've prevented a lot of people from starving. GM crops and animals are simply a more precise way of doing the same thing.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You never promoted any "opposing idea".
Liar.

I just gave you an opportunity to clarify and your response was "no idea", so apparently you don't actually have anything to say (big surprise).
Liar.

My point is, whatever you believe about creation/evolution history has shown people have been able to be creative with the creation to solve specific problems.
Yep.

I don't see how you can claim those changes are universally bad when they've prevented a lot of people from starving.
That's because you've not spent any time acknowledging let alone understanding the point made.

GM crops and animals are simply a more precise way of doing the same thing.
And only by ignoring the costs that must come are you able to declare there to be a net gain.

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 17th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: You are what you eat. How do you feel about genetically modified organisms (GMO) and genetically engineered (GE) seeds and crops?

GMOs are dangerous. The enable the use of more pesticides, which are as harmful to us as they are to bugs. They cause holes in peoples stomachs. GMOs are also more liable to genetic mutations, and could alter the organisms we depend on for millennia.

It apparently is making digestion a problem for more and more people. Since I have those problems, I am paying attention to this issue.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMOs

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Once tomatoes grew new each year, now you have to buy new plants. I gave kept some old seeds, they still grow tomatoes every year, in bunches. I like them and glad I kept some old seeds.

Alate_One

GMOs are dangerous. The enable the use of more pesticides, which are as harmful to us as they are to bugs.
Wrong. They can actually reduce pesticide use and allow less harmful pesticides to be substituted.

at17tb03.jpg

They cause holes in peoples stomachs. GMOs are also more liable to genetic mutations, and could alter the organisms we depend on for millennia.
This is utter nonsense.
The US population has been eating GM corn and soy for more than two decades now and no adverse effects have been confirmed. GM crops are the most extensively tested crop plants ever bred. GM crops utilize biology rather than synthetic chemicals to resist pests, weeds and in some cases increase nutrition. The "additives" of GM crops are proteins, which are non-toxic, and in some cases, these same proteins approved for use as pesticides in organic agriculture (you didn't know organic agriculture is allowed to use certain pesticides did you?).

I'll take a novel, well tested protein over pesticide residue any day.

Alate_One

Liar.

Liar.

Yep.
In other words you're a waste of time, no surprise again.

And only by ignoring the costs that must come are you able to declare there to be a net gain.
There are always tradeoffs in biology. That doesn't mean wild plants and animals are perfect and all modification is "bad". It's odd you're posting on a forum and yet won't deign to offer an actual opinion on the issue at hand.