toldailytopic: How important is a college degree in today's job market? What are the

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 13th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: How important is a college degree in today's job market? What are the alternatives?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
According to Forbes.com college is not very important.

That's not what it says at all. It asks if tuition can be over-priced. And yes, it can be, depending on the institution.

Nowhere in the article does it say college is not very important.

Higher education is very important. It's not for everyone, but that doesn't take away from the importance of it.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Depends on the job. You can't do what is do without a masters degree. I would not see a doctor who has no degree. I would be nervous about a nurse that has no degree. We have made tax laws so complicated that an accounting degree is a good thing to have.

Depends entirely on the career you have.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and college education is a little knowledge, just a step towards higher education...I think a generation of college puddings waiting on tables is a recipe for social disaster.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
According to the qualifications posted when positions are advertised, I would say it IS important.

The alternative would be to find a employer who is willing to do on the job training.

That doesn't mean people without a degree are unable to find decent jobs but rather have less potential in regards to the position and salary being offered.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and college education is a little knowledge, just a step towards higher education...I think a generation of college puddings waiting on tables is a recipe for social disaster.

I have no idea what a college pudding is. :)

Having said that, a little knowledge is only dangerous when used unwisely, which speaks more to little wisdom than to little knowledge.

OMEGA

ZILCH , NADA , NOT WORTH THE PAPER THAT ITS PRINTED ON.

I know of a guy with a Grade 3 Education that started his own company

in Plastic Tubing and Green Garbage bags and has made lots of money

and employs many people more educated than himself.

It is how you use that Education that counts and if you ask God for Guidance.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
According to Forbes.com college is not very important.
That may be due to the fact that colleges are handing out many useless degrees. Let's take a look at a few

Agriculture: It still being handed out, but how many jobs are there in agriculture? Shoveling horse doodies at a mom and pop farm, otherwise go work at Godfather's Pizza.

Fashion Design. It is a profession that is very exclusive and competitive. Very few break into this profession. Job you can expect with this one. J. C. Penny's stocking the clothing department.

Fine Arts: It has no relationship with the real world out there. It will not put money in your wallet or food on the table. Expect to be flipping burgers for a living.

Art History: Another fluff degree that is as worthless as a wart.

Women's studies: Fine fertilizer for your backyard but it will not impress an employer. He'll put a clothespin on his nose.

Performing arts: AKA acting degree. This one equals working at McDonalds.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
As CM said, it depends on the job. And as Rusha said, job advertisements seem to make it very important. I think too much emphasis is placed on degrees in some cases.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
That may be due to the fact that colleges are handing out many useless degrees. Let's take a look at a few

Agriculture: It still being handed out, but how many jobs are there in agriculture? Shoveling horse doodies at a mom and pop farm, otherwise go work at Godfather's Pizza.

Fashion Design. It is a profession that is very exclusive and competitive. Very few break into this profession. Job you can expect with this one. J. C. Penny's stocking the clothing department.

Fine Arts: It has no relationship with the real world out there. It will not put money in your wallet or food on the table. Expect to be flipping burgers for a living.

Women's studies: Fine fertilizer for your backyard but it will not impress an employer. He'll put a clothespin on his nose.

A degree in Philosophy needs to be added to this list. Then someone needs to make sure Traditio sees it.

Alate_One

A degree in Philosophy needs to be added to this list. Then someone needs to make sure Traditio sees it.
A bachelor's in philosophy yes, a master's not as much since you can teach at the university level. That said, there aren't that many of those positions around.

Instead get an advanced degree in biology - specifically a background in animal physiology and anatomy. There are *always * openings for A& P instructors. Nursing is a great field as well, if you can handle it. And unlike the previous fields, there are positions available nearly everywhere immediately after graduation from a four year program. And if you choose to get an advanced nursing degree, there's also a shortage of nursing instructors.

I think people overvalue a university degree in general. Unfortunately some of my students seem to think *any* degree will help them, and just getting the degree is enough. Having a degree that's backed by a transcript full of Ds and Fs isn't going to impress a lot of employers that are actually looking for degreed individuals. People feel the need to accumulate tons of student debt just to get one of these four year degrees when it would probably be smarter to go to community college for an associates degree or try to get into an apprenticeship program.

I think one of our major problems in the USA is we don't have as much access to apprenticeships as in places such as Germany. Many of our high schools are also not preparing students for the job market or college and I think that's the larger problem.

In short, college can be very useful but if you're going into debt to pay for it, think long and hard about the field you're going into. Also if you're struggling with the introductory courses of the field you've chosen, you probably want to choose something else or quit before you accumulate too much debt.

The Berean

A bachelor's in philosophy yes, a master's not as much since you can teach at the university level. That said, there aren't that many of those positions around.

Instead get an advanced degree in biology - specifically a background in animal physiology and anatomy. There are *always * openings for A& P instructors. Nursing is a great field as well, if you can handle it. And unlike the previous fields, there are positions available nearly everywhere immediately after graduation from a four year program. And if you choose to get an advanced nursing degree, there's also a shortage of nursing instructors.

I think people overvalue a university degree in general. Unfortunately some of my students seem to think *any* degree will help them, and just getting the degree is enough. Having a degree that's backed by a transcript full of Ds and Fs isn't going to impress a lot of employers that are actually looking for degreed individuals. People feel the need to accumulate tons of student debt just to get one of these four year degrees when it would probably be smarter to go to community college for an associates degree or try to get into an apprenticeship program.

I think one of our major problems in the USA is we don't have as much access to apprenticeships as in places such as Germany. Many of our high schools are also not preparing students for the job market or college and I think that's the larger problem.

In short, college can be very useful but if you're going into debt to pay for it, think long and hard about the field you're going into. Also if you're struggling with the introductory courses of the field you've chosen, you probably want to choose something else or quit before you accumulate too much debt.

High schools used to do this for decades. High school kids could get training in woodworking, automotive maintenance, machining, welding, etc., and have jobs offers when they graduated. I was an engineering intern at a major defense contractor back in 1997. I met a Senior Manufacturing Engineer there. He told me that in high school he was training in machining starting his sophomore year. He's go to school early and have training then he's have more training after regular school let out. He did this for three school years. Every year local manufacturing companies would come to his school to look for machinists to hire. He told me he had five jobs offers before he even graduated. Over the years a lot of high schools have dropped these type of training programs. This man worked his way up the company and when I met he he was a senior manufacturing engineer in charge of setting up and running large CNC machining centers. He also did tooling design as well. He was a really smart guy.

LKmommy

It depends on the job of course. There is something other than college like trade schools. Some professions require a degree or even an advanced degree.

I guess it depends on the person's capabilities and their own initiatives. A person with an IQ of 70 will never become a doctor no matter how bad they want to do that job.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Some degrees are more meaningful than others
BA/BS
Mathematics
Engineering
Business
Nursing

MA
Counseling
Criminology

MBA

MS
Hard science
Clinical social work
Nurse Practitioner
Physicians Assistant

Advanced professional
Lawyer
Medical practice, Physician

Degree like English, you need a doctorate unless you wnat to teach High School

Dena

Having looked for jobs in the last 10 years I would say it's extremely important. If you want to work for yourself, then no, but otherwise they are fairly necessary. Trade schools are also a good option.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A Degree in Philosophy is also know as a degree in sophistry or bloviating. This degree will get you a job taking out the trash or flipping burgers. :chuckle:

BBTimeless

As a guy with a generic History degree (ugh) it's just as bad.