Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: The budget deal: what do you think of it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: The budget deal: what do you think of it?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 12th, 2011 09:49 AM

toldailytopic: The budget deal: what do you think of it?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Budget tricks helped Obama save programs from cuts

By ANDREW TAYLOR
    WASHINGTON (AP) - The historic $38 billion in budget cuts resulting from at-times hostile bargaining between Congress and the Obama White House were accomplished in large part by pruning money left over from previous years, using accounting sleight of hand and going after programs President Barack Obama had targeted anyway.

Such moves permitted Obama to save favorite programs - Pell grants for poor college students, health research and "Race to the Top" aid for public schools, among others - from Republican knives, according to new details of the legislation released Tuesday morning.

And big holes in foreign aid and Environmental Protection Agency accounts were patched in large part. Republicans also gave up politically treacherous cuts to the Agriculture Department's food inspection program.

The details of the agreement reached late Friday night just ahead of a deadline for a partial government shutdown reveal a lot of one-time savings and cuts that officially "score" as cuts to pay for spending elsewhere, but often have little to no actual impact on the deficit.

As a result of the legerdemain, Obama was able to reverse many of the cuts passed by House Republicans in February when the chamber approved a bill slashing this year's budget by more than $60 billion. In doing so, the White House protected favorites like the Head Start early learning program, while maintaining the maximum Pell grant of $5,550 and funding for Obama's "Race to the Top" initiative that provides grants to better-performing schools.

Instead, the cuts that actually will make it into law are far tamer, including cuts to earmarks, unspent census money, leftover federal construction funding, and $2.5 billion from the most recent renewal of highway programs that can't be spent because of restrictions set by other legislation. Another $3.5 billion comes from unused spending authority from a program providing health care to children of lower-income families.

READ MORE
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

I think it's time for Washington to wake up to the looming budget crisis and get serious about bringing expenditures in line with income.

Comment

It's a farce. Like Ron Paul said, we're talking about pocket change here. Total posturing.

Comment

Obama needs to get his head out of the sand and quit spending America's money on worthless pork barrel projects. "Family Planning" and Planned Parenthood are pure pork that America doesn't need.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Originally posted by Granite View Post
            It's a farce. Like Ron Paul said, we're talking about pocket change here. Total posturing.
            Except if there is a program on which you rely that was cut. For example, in my state they've cut the budget deeply as to affect services to those developmental disabilities. Of course this isn't federal government.

Overall, however, I think that you are correct. Some cuts needed to be made, but the elephant in the room is our three wars - that and the supposed job creating tax cuts for the wealthiest.
            "Haven't seen the back of us yet..."

Comment

I agree, this whole agreement is a farce. We didn't get anywhere.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Originally posted by Granite View Post
                Nah, man....ya gotta start somewhere. At least that's what the wife said before we declared Bankruptcy (when she volunteered to give up her weekly bag of potato chips as a way to avert our financial demise from being $1.5 million in debt).
                Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
                ~Leonard Cohen

sigpic

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
                ~Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Time is money, and if it takes this much time to cut 38 billion, we may not have enough time.

Comment

I think the widows and orphans among us are in for a tough time, and quiteunnecessarily so.i

Comment

I wanted a shutdown
                      a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
                        I wanted a shutdown
                        Then maybe we could have finally all ed to !
                        Vivo per lei, perchè oramai, io non ho altra via d'uscita, perchè la musica, lo sai, davvero non l'ho mai tradita.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.--John 8:31-32

My blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Samstarrett View Post
                          Then maybe we could have finally all ed to !
                          you should do it anyway
                          a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
                            you should do it anyway
                            Hey Knight:

Vivo per lei, perchè oramai, io non ho altra via d'uscita, perchè la musica, lo sai, davvero non l'ho mai tradita.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.--John 8:31-32

My blog:

Comment

I'm ignorant of most of the details so I can't have a real opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X