Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: The last year of your life. You have 365 days to live, what types of t

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure, but one thing I'd do is try to identify/cut things out of my life that I don't care as much about and focus on a few things that I know do matter to me. I'd try to simplify for the year.

Family, friends, try to create some lasting art, travel, work to keep a daily journal, choose one particular cause I believe in and try to make an impact towards it.

Of course, all of these things can be done every day... But a difference for me might be to try to keep other things from creeping in and distracting. I'd try not to spread myself too thin with too many things, as seems to happen in life. Get rid of extra baggage, and try to carry a smaller, simpler pack filled only with the things that matter most.

Edit: I'd also work to create/find some things for some of the people in my life that I could leave behind specifically for them. Reminders of why our relationship was important, why or how they mattered to me, times we had together, so on. Photographs, a package of letters, a ticket stub, whatever might be applicable as a remembrance or celebration of certain relationships.

And I'd arrange a big party/get-together.
    Last edited by zoo22; November 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chair View Post
      I had a friend who went through this. He died a week ago.

After that, this thread looks pretty dumb to me.
      Sorry for your loss, Chair.

I don't think it's dumb to think about these things, though. To lose sight of reality through fantasy, sure, but to stop to consider what matters to you and relate it back to your life, I don't think is dumb.

Comment

After down sizing to travel, I (we) would spend three months with our daughter . . .

Make an appointment to have lunch with Pastor Charles Swindoll . . .

Make the trip to Indianapolis Motor Speedway to see the museum one more time . . .

Attend a Sunday morning service at Moody Memorial Church in Chicago . . .

Then go to all the places that I have lived or visited when I was kid . . .

Hot Springs, South Dakota
        Spokane, Washington
        Arlington, Washington
        Smokey Point, Washington
        Marysville, Washington
        Everett, Washington
        South Seattle, Washington
        Portland, Oregon
        Down the Pacific Coast Highway to
        Porterville, California
        Delano, California
        I-40E to Albuquerque, New Mexico
        I-25N to finish up in Denver, Colorado. I consider Denver home since I (we) lived there from 1952-2003.

Have lunch at the Tatter Cover in Denver.

Visit my TOL friends in Denver.

I would have to convince Mrs Psalmist that was the thing to do.

And If I couldn't do the above, I would be content to remain where I am, with Mrs Psalmist and finishing well at the retirement/healthcare center.
        sigpic

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
        .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
        Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

The best portion of a person’s life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

Comment

Same thing we do every night, Pinky.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zoo22 View Post
            I'm not sure, but one thing I'd do is try to identify/cut things out of my life that I don't care as much about and focus on a few things that I know do matter to me. I'd try to simplify for the year.

Family, friends, try to create some lasting art, travel, work to keep a daily journal, choose one particular cause I believe in and try to make an impact towards it.

Of course, all of these things can be done every day... But a difference for me might be to try to keep other things from creeping in and distracting. I'd try not to spread myself too thin with too many things, as seems to happen in life. Get rid of extra baggage, and try to carry a smaller, simpler pack filled only with the things that matter most.

Edit: I'd also work to create/find some things for some of the people in my life that I could leave behind specifically for them. Reminders of why our relationship was important, why or how they mattered to me, times we had together, so on. Photographs, a package of letters, a ticket stub, whatever might be applicable as a remembrance or celebration of certain relationships.

And I'd arrange a big party/get-together.
            I didn't really know it until I read this, but this is just what I'd do

Thanks for the plan

Comment

Originally posted by Knight View Post

The last year of your life.

You have 365 days to live,

what types of things will you do in your final year on earth?

My daily desire is . . .

to be living in God's perfect will.

God Bless

Comment

Honestly, I would probably weep for a while.

After that, I would get busy enjoying my wife and children, which, gratefully, would not be an out-of-the-ordinary thing for me. But, the difference would be that the small stuff that annoys me sometimes wouldn't be so annoying to me anymore. Like zoo said, I would simplify quite a bit and make something special so that my wife and children (they are only 3 and 1) would remember me.

I'd want to travel a little, but likely not to any place that was especially new. I'd want to eat my mom's Christmas cookies, my wife's chocolate chip pound cake, and my mother-in-law's red velvet cake a few more times. I'd watch my favorite movies a few more times and read my favorite books at least once more. I'd let anyone I really cared about know how much I love them.

So, on that note, I'm off to try and live this way right now because death comes to us all and all men die but only some men really live...
                Last edited by Son of Jack; November 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

???

Originally posted by Punisher1984 View Post
                  1. Buy every gun I ever wanted.

2. Get plenty of range time for about 2-3 months.

3. Declare war on the social extablishment and go out in the same manner Yukio Mishima did.

4. Meet up with Mishima in Valhallah and fight and party til Ragnarok come!
                  Can you be sure that the Valkyries will come for you? Are you a hero? bybee

Comment

After the shock and anger wore off, of not being able to watch my kids grow up and have families of their own, I'd spend as much time as possible with them. I'd want to travel to all the places that mean the most to me but I'd be torn because I'd want to spend as much time with my kids as possible. I would want to write each of my kids and my husband a personal letter summing up my time with them to be read later. I'd try to make a video of me reading stories or telling about myself to be shown to grandchildren I wouldn't see.

(Gee, I hope the next tod isn't as depressing. )

"The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom

Upgrade your TOL membership.

Comment

I'd go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by DocJohnson View Post
                        Well, I can't take my money with me when I die, so...
                        You got money?
                        "Myths are not lies," Tolkien countered, among the swaying trees of Magdalen Grove. Materialistic progress leads only to the abyss, Tolkien said, but the myths we tell reflect a fragment of the true light. He argued the Christ story functions as a myth, just like the Scandinavian myths they had loved, with one difference: The Christian myth was true.

Comment

Working...
                        X