Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit. #dailytopic

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

The role of the father in the family unit was created by God to symbolize man's own relationship with God Himself.

Being a father within the family unit helps a man understand how God loves His children, and what an awesome responsibility it is to be the head of the household.
    Oh, wise guy eh?

Comment

God gave fathers the job of correcting their children just as He (our Father) corrects us. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.
      Freedom of choice is what you want, Freedom of choice is what you got.

sigpic

Comment

A father has no significance other than the biological connection.

Comment

Originally posted by antiknight View Post
          That's not always true. It can be and often is. My father is hugely significant in my family for several reasons beyond our biological connection.
          The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Comment

You really believe that? I'm going to assume you were in the control group and your father was made out of wire wrapped in terrycloth.

Comment

Originally posted by allsmiles View Post
              That's not always true. It can be and often is. My father is hugely significant in my family for several reasons beyond our biological connection.
              That significance is merely anecdotal, i.e., it's your own personal "significance" which is fine and I'm sure that is comforting to you. Yet as far as overall significance is concerned your father was merely the mechanism that created his offspring (you).

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper View Post
                You really believe that?
                What do you believe?

Comment

That significance is merely anecdotal, i.e., it's your own personal "significance" which is fine and I'm sure that is comforting to you. Yet as far as overall significance is concerned your father was merely the mechanism that created his offspring (you).
                  Your attempt to trivialize my father's sacrifices and the hardship he necessarily went through to raise seven children, is funny to me. What else do you believe you know about my family?
                  The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Comment

What do you believe?
                    That fathers have a very important formative influence on their children. They can help or hinder a child's emotional and mental maturity, and they can mitigate negative influences in a child's life. They're critical guides that can make big difference in what sort of an adult a child will become.

Your POV seems a way too reductionist. Fathers and mothers may not seem to matter a whole lot as individuals when you view humanity en mass or if you view us from a universal and geological perspectives but those sorts of scales don't have much relevance to us in our day-to-day lives either.

Comment

Originally posted by novice View Post

The role of the father in the family unit was created by God to . . .

symbolize man's own relationship with God Himself.

God used this in my life to bring me to "salvation" . . .

Comment

Is the whole purpose of this to....... no, never mind, I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by novice View Post
                          The role of the father in the family unit was created by God to symbolize man's own relationship with God Himself.

Being a father within the family unit helps a man understand how God loves His children, and what an awesome responsibility it is to be the head of the household.
                          For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!
                          Galatians 5:13-15

Comment

A father has incredible power in a child's life. He can give his child a sense of safety and stability, but he can also make his child feel worthless and afraid. It seems like those people with the worst fathers have the hardest time developing their relationship with God. It is an awesome responsibility to be a father!
                            For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!
                            Galatians 5:13-15

Comment

you are a symptom of a deeper problem!
                              So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Working...
                              X