ECT Loving Jesus enough to obey Him ensures salvation

lifeisgood

You think Jesus is powerful and honorable and has glory and to him only? GOOD! Now do what he says to do to get saved and stay saved.

I did what He told me to do. He said, 'COME and I, JESUS, WILL GIVE YOU REST', so I OBEYED Him and I came to Him. The sad part is that I always encounter people such as, you, GT, that tells me that that is not what I was supposed to do.

Stop being afraid, it is easy to do what Jesus says to do, and you will be glad for it.

I used to be afraid when I was singing merrily going directly to hell because I was told by people like you that I had to do this, and somebody else told me I had to do that, etc. ad infinitum, UNTIL ONE DAY, He found me and He said, 'Come and I will give you my rest' and since then I have not been the same person I used to be BEFORE HE SAVED ME.

No amount of MY WORKS can save me. If, MY WORKS could SAVE ME, Jesus would NOT have had to come down to die on a cruel cross so that He can bring me to Himself.

Now, you, GT, keep on striving to save yourself, because you do NOT believe Jesus alone can save you. How sad!

PS: Uppercase is NOT screaming. It is easier for emphasis.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I did what He told me to do. He said, 'COME and I, JESUS, WILL GIVE YOU REST', so I OBEYED Him and I came to Him. The sad part is that I always encounter people such as, you, GT, that tells me that that is not what I was supposed to do.

I used to be afraid when I was singing merrily going directly to hell because I was told by people like you that I had to do this, and somebody else told me I had to do that, etc. ad infinitum, UNTIL ONE DAY, He found me and He said, 'Come and I will give you my rest' and since then I have not been the same person I used to be BEFORE HE SAVED ME.

No amount of MY WORKS can save me. If, MY WORKS could SAVE ME, Jesus would NOT have had to come down to die on a cruel cross so that He can bring me to Himself.

Now, you, GT, keep on striving to save yourself, because you do NOT believe Jesus alone can save you. How sad!

Yep, she has a problem.

God's Truth

What you do, GT, is to keep on trying to work your works so that GT can help the 'IT IS FINISHED' of Jesus to save you.

It's God's works.

Jesus DOES NOT need your works TO SAVE YOU.

Jesus says to do what he says or perish.

He wants you to BELIEVE THAT HE HAS THE POWER AND THE AUTHORITY to save you already. Salvation is TOTALLY and COMPLETELY from Jesus plus NOTHING ELSE. Him alone, by His power alone, by His authority alone.

Jesus says his words are Spirit and life and you have to obey him to get the Spirit and have life.

According to you, GT, Jesus does not have the power nor the authority TO SAVE YOU because you, gt, say that you, gt, MUST DO WORKS so that you, gt, can help Jesus so that you, gt, give Him the authority and power, THROUGH YOUR WORKS, to save you.
Jesus says plainly that you have to eat him.

You better start eating.

Because you, gt, INSIST that you must work TO BE SAVED, you do not have the time to find out the WORKS THAT HAVE BEEN PREPARED FOR YOU by Jesus Himself to do AFTER He has saved you.
Those works don't save. Those works are nice but don't save. Those works are having a dinner for the apostles and washing their clothes and other nice things when they come to your house. Those works don't save.

The works we have to do to get saved are the same works we have to do after being saved.

Now, GT, you keep on striving with searching to do the works that WERE NOT prepared for YOU to do so that you can save yourself, because YOUR WORKS TO BE SAVED are rejected, exactly as would be mine.
If you don't do what Jesus says to do to get saved, then you are not doing the works of God and then you are not eating him.

God's Truth

I did what He told me to do. He said, 'COME and I, JESUS, WILL GIVE YOU REST', so I OBEYED Him and I came to Him.

Jesus says those who labor/obey that he will give rest.

And you were given SCRIPTURES that say we have to obey to get saved.

The sad part is that I always encounter people such as, you, GT, that tells me that that is not what I was supposed to do.

You have been given many scriptures.
Jesus gives you rest from doing his beautiful powerful words???

What on God's earth are you talking about?

Jesus CAME to SAVE those FIRST who OBEY GOD.

Jesus wouldn't have saved me if not doing what he says to do.

lifeisgood

Jesus says those who labor/obey that he will give rest.

And you were given SCRIPTURES that say we have to obey to get saved.

You have been given many scriptures.

Jesus gives you rest from doing his beautiful powerful words???

What on God's earth are you talking about?

Jesus CAME to SAVE those FIRST who OBEY GOD.

Jesus wouldn't have saved me if not doing what he says to do.

You, GT, keep on striving to bring YOUR WORKS so that you, GT, can help Jesus finished work on the Cross of Calvary so that you can save yourself, because, YOU, GT, are saying vociferously that Jesus' FINISHED work on the Cross of Calvary is NOT enough TO SAVE YOU so YOU have to help Him so that you can save yourself. How sad!

lifeisgood

It's God's works.

Jesus says to do what he says or perish.

Jesus says his words are Spirit and life and you have to obey him to get the Spirit and have life.

Jesus says plainly that you have to eat him.

You better start eating.

Those works don't save. Those works are nice but don't save. Those works are having a dinner for the apostles and washing their clothes and other nice things when they come to your house. Those works don't save.

The works we have to do to get saved are the same works we have to do after being saved.

If you don't do what Jesus says to do to get saved, then you are not doing the works of God and then you are not eating him.

YOU, GT, have NEVER done not even ONE work that God has prepared for you. You, GT, have been doing YOUR OWN WORKS and shoving it in God's face telling Him that Jesus' declarationg of 'IT IS FINISHED' work on the Cross of Calvary is NOT enough to SAVE YOU, and you, gt, have to help Jesus so that you can save yourself. How sad.

PS: Uppercase is NOT screaming. It is easier for emphasis

God's Truth

You, GT, keep on striving to bring YOUR WORKS so that you, GT, can help Jesus finished work on the Cross of Calvary so that you can save yourself, because, YOU, GT, are saying vociferously that Jesus' FINISHED work on the Cross of Calvary is NOT enough TO SAVE YOU so YOU have to help Him so that you can save yourself. How sad!

I'm a servant who does what my Lord and MASTER says to do.

God's Truth

YOU, GT, have NEVER done not even ONE work that God has prepared for you. You, GT, have been doing YOUR OWN WORKS and shoving it in God's face telling Him that Jesus' declarationg of 'IT IS FINISHED' work on the Cross of Calvary is NOT enough to SAVE YOU, and you, gt, have to help Jesus so that you can save yourself. How sad.

PS: Uppercase is NOT screaming. It is easier for emphasis

I have done God's works for me and continue to work at it.

beloved57

“And we know that God causes everything to work together
for the good of those who love God and are called
according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28)

These were predestined, called, justified, and glorified (8:29-30).

Those who truly love God obey Him by resisting temptations to sin!

“God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation.
Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God
has promised to those who love Him.” (James 1:12)

Believers who endure temptation:
● love God
● chose to be obedient to Jesus (see below)
● will receive the crown of (eternal) life

“Temptation comes from our own desires,
which entice us and drag us away.
These desires give birth to sinful actions.
And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
So, don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.” (James 1:14-16)

Believers who do NOT endure temptation:
● will fall into habitual sin
● will receive spiritual (eternal) death …
UNLESS they sincerely repent (stop their habitual sinning).

Those who really love Jesus obey Him
“Those who accept My commandments and obey them
are the ones who love Me.” (John 14:21)
“All who love Me will do what I say.” (John 14:23)
“Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me.” (John 14:24)
“When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love” (John 15:10)
“You are my friends, if you do what I command.” (John 15:14)

Who gets to heaven who does not love Jesus,
who is not His friend,
and who does not obey His commandments?

Slaves of sin -- OR -- slaves of obedience
“… if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves,
you are slaves of the one whom you obey,
either (slaves) of sin which leads to (eternal) death, OR
(slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)

“… anyone who obeys my teachings will never die!” (John 8:51)

“if you want to receive eternal life,
keep the commandments.” (Matthew 19:17)

“So, you must live as God’s obedient children.” (1 Peter 1:14)

“Only those who fear the Lord and keep His commandments
have life with God. But there is NO (eternal) life in those
who do not keep His commandments.”

(from “The Shepherd of Hermas”, which was quoted as Scripture by early
Christian leaders such as Irenaeus, Origen, and Clement of Alexandria)

So do you believe its what man does that ensures his Salvation and not what Jesus did alone for men ?

genuineoriginal

No such thing what you are saying.
Jesus told someone to get him a donkey and since we aren't bringing him donkeys doesn't mean we are disobedient and now don't have to do anything, per your logic.

Matthew 21:2 Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an *** tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.

There are commandments that the disciples were supposed to teach us to obey:

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

genuineoriginal

You CANNOT OBEY the one YOU do not BELONG TO.
You are mistaken about that.

Paul says you obey someone first then you become a servant of the one you obey.

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

PS: Uppercase is NOT screaming.
Uppercase is screaming.

genuineoriginal

There are a lot of twisted ideas present in your statement that show you do not understand the truth of salvation.

Let's see if I can untangle some of them.
You, GT, keep on striving to bring YOUR WORKS
This is in accordance with the teachings of Paul, so you need to stop being so contentious as to condemn it.

Romans 2:6-11
6 [God] will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Jesus finished work on the Cross of Calvary
The work Jesus finished on the cross was the work that God had assigned to Jesus to do to prove His obedience.

Philippians 2:8
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

you [...] can help Jesus [...] so that you can save yourself
No, God's Truth is not trying to help Jesus so she can save herself.
God's Truth is trying to walk worthy of God who has called her, like Paul commanded.

1 Thessalonians 2:11-12
11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

You [...] are saying [...] that Jesus' FINISHED work on the Cross of Calvary is NOT enough TO SAVE YOU
Salvation is only by grace (God's favor given to someone that pleases Him) through faith (the outward expression of an inward belief).

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

You seem to be trying to convince people that Jesus doesn't care whether we strive to do what pleases God or whether we strive to do everything God hates.
But, Jesus Himself says that He does care.

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

God's Truth

There are commandments that the disciples were supposed to teach us to obey:

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

No. That is to Jesus' disciples during the laying of the foundation.

The foundation has been laid.

God's Truth

You are mistaken about that.

Paul says you obey someone first then you become a servant of the one you obey.

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Uppercase is screaming.

I agree with your first part but not about the screaming part. It is NOT screaming to capitalize. Even the Bible has capitalization sentences.

lifeisgood

There are a lot of twisted ideas present in your statement that show you do not understand the truth of salvation.

Let's see if I can untangle some of them.

This is in accordance with the teachings of Paul, so you need to stop being so contentious as to condemn it.

Romans 2:6-11
6 [God] will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

The work Jesus finished on the cross was the work that God had assigned to Jesus to do to prove His obedience.

Philippians 2:8
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

No, God's Truth is not trying to help Jesus so she can save herself.
God's Truth is trying to walk worthy of God who has called her, like Paul commanded.

1 Thessalonians 2:11-12
11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

Salvation is only by grace (God's favor given to someone that pleases Him) through faith (the outward expression of an inward belief).

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

You seem to be trying to convince people that Jesus doesn't care whether we strive to do what pleases God or whether we strive to do everything God hates.
But, Jesus Himself says that He does care.

Matthew 7:21
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Another one who says he needs to help Jesus' finished work on the Cross of Calvary to be saved.

Uppercase is screaming.

Not for me; therefore, the PS.

Lon

“And we know that God causes everything to work together
for the good of those who love God and are called
according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28)

These were predestined, called, justified, and glorified (8:29-30).

Those who truly love God obey Him by resisting temptations to sin!

“God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation.
Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God
has promised to those who love Him.” (James 1:12)

Believers who endure temptation:
● love God
● chose to be obedient to Jesus (see below)
● will receive the crown of (eternal) life

“Temptation comes from our own desires,
which entice us and drag us away.
These desires give birth to sinful actions.
And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
So, don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.” (James 1:14-16)

Believers who do NOT endure temptation:
● will fall into habitual sin
● will receive spiritual (eternal) death …
UNLESS they sincerely repent (stop their habitual sinning).

Those who really love Jesus obey Him
“Those who accept My commandments and obey them
are the ones who love Me.” (John 14:21)
“All who love Me will do what I say.” (John 14:23)
“Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me.” (John 14:24)
“When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love” (John 15:10)
“You are my friends, if you do what I command.” (John 15:14)

Who gets to heaven who does not love Jesus,
who is not His friend,
and who does not obey His commandments?

Slaves of sin -- OR -- slaves of obedience
“… if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves,
you are slaves of the one whom you obey,
either (slaves) of sin which leads to (eternal) death, OR
(slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)

“… anyone who obeys my teachings will never die!” (John 8:51)

“if you want to receive eternal life,
keep the commandments.” (Matthew 19:17)

“So, you must live as God’s obedient children.” (1 Peter 1:14)

“Only those who fear the Lord and keep His commandments
have life with God. But there is NO (eternal) life in those
who do not keep His commandments.”

(from “The Shepherd of Hermas”, which was quoted as Scripture by early
Christian leaders such as Irenaeus, Origen, and Clement of Alexandria)

Here is the deal: "Without God, this is impossible" (referring to the rich young man's ability).
Point: if you mess up in even one, you've messed up. How far before you are in dangers of the fire of hell?

So, 1) was it ever possible to love Jesus unerringly, by anybody but the Lord Jesus Christ?
2) What is the 'cut-off' point of disobedience? Even one failure? If so, where is the good news in 'obey/obedience?"

This isn't easy to explain and so Our Lord Jesus Christ tried to explain this to Nicodemus who just didn't get it. He said 'born again" and "new Creation" and "new winde skins."

I'd simply add Paul's words here for further expiation: "If any man is in Christ, He is a new creation, the old has passed, the new has come."

Philippians 2:13 It isn't so much "obey!" but rather "Have Christ! Who works obedience in you." We can encourage one another, but there is no longer 'do' and 'obey' among Christians. He works in us to do and to obey. He does use others to mature us, but it is no longer 'do.' Ephesians 2:10

God's Truth

Here is the deal: "Without God, this is impossible" (referring to the rich young man's ability).
The rich man had God in the flesh before him, and he loved his wealth more than to give it up and become a traveling minister with Jesus and help lay the foundation.

Point: if you mess up in even one, you've messed up. How far before you are in dangers of the fire of hell?
The Christians who mess up can still be put to death by the Government, but if they ask God for forgiveness, they can still be forgiven and belong to Him.

So, 1) was it ever possible to love Jesus unerringly, by anybody but the Lord Jesus Christ?
2) What is the 'cut-off' point of disobedience? Even one failure? If so, where is the good news in 'obey/obedience?"
The good news in obedience is that if you do mess up, you REPENT and ask for forgiveness.

The good news in obedience is that it is how you get saved and then stay saved.

It is how you eat Jesus.

It is how you have the Spirit and how the Spirit lives through you and how you live through the Spirit.

This isn't easy to explain and so Our Lord Jesus Christ tried to explain this to Nicodemus who just didn't get it. He said 'born again" and "new Creation" and "new winde skins."

The old testament spoke of a time that a person will only have to repent of their sins and not do the purification works of the law.

Nicodemus did not understand how we repent of our sins and become washed clean by God and are a new creature with His Spirit in us...born again.

I'd simply add Paul's words here for further expiation: "If any man is in Christ, He is a new creation, the old has passed, the new has come."

Philippians 2:13 It isn't so much "obey!" but rather "Have Christ! Who works obedience in you." We can encourage one another, but there is no longer 'do' and 'obey' among Christians. He works in us to do and to obey. He does use others to mature us, but it is no longer 'do.' Ephesians 2:10

That is some confusion you have.

genuineoriginal

Another one who says he needs to help Jesus' finished work on the Cross
This is what Jesus said:

Revelation 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

That means that if you refuse to overcome, then you are in danger of having your name blotted out of the book of life, and everyone whose name is not found in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Right Divider

Body part
This is what Jesus said:

Revelation 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

That means that if you refuse to overcome, then you are in danger of having your name blotted out of the book of life, and everyone whose name is not found in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Lack of right division causes you nothing but confusion.

You have no clue as to the context of the scripture you quote blindly.