ECT What is the Gospel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonnet

I am a non-believer interested in knowing what the good news is. I ask because, in my experience, Christians do not seem to agree on the specifics. One might point to the issue of the scope of Christ's salvific provision as being particularly relevant.

If the Gospel isn't clearly defined then, surely, the non-believer may legitimately ask, 'Believe in what?'

Truster

I am a non-believer interested in knowing what the good news is. I ask because, in my experience, Christians do not seem to agree on the specifics. One might point to the issue of the scope of Christ's salvific provision as being particularly relevant.

If the Gospel isn't clearly defined then, surely, the non-believer may legitimately ask, 'Believe in what?'

You are called upon to trust, repent and to be holy.

You cannot do these things and so, unless you are converted, you will die in your sin and suffer eternal punishment.

Sonnet

You are called upon to trust, repent and to be holy.

You cannot do these things and so, unless you are converted, you will die in your sin and suffer eternal punishment.

Trust in what exactly? What good news am I to look to?

Is 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 the good news that I am to put my faith in?

Interplanner

The good news is that God came in Christ and solved the debt of sin through Christ's suffering on the cross. 'Solving' the debt of sin is not the same as ending all evil, whether in our own lives or in the world in general. The proof of this benefit is the resurrection of the God-Man Jesus Christ, whose life and work God approved. What he did benefits those who believe on that same life and work; they are justified from their sins, which is to say, forgiven. The gift of forgiveness will change their lives enormously.

The event of God coming in Christ was historic. This is a surprise to some; the Christian faith is a historic faith, rather than a 'religion' or a subjective, inward thing only. This historic event was also the purpose or legacy toward which Israel was moving. This was announced to them in the 1st century AD by the apostles right when their country was falling into the worst conditions they had ever had. And Israel was to become messengers of this, but of course we all are to share the same news with all mankind.

Sonnet

The good news is that God came in Christ and solved the debt of sin through Christ's suffering on the cross. 'Solving' the debt of sin is not the same as ending all evil, whether in our own lives or in the world in general. The proof of this benefit is the resurrection of the God-Man Jesus Christ, whose life and work God approved. What he did benefits those who believe on that same life and work; they are justified from their sins, which is to say, forgiven. The gift of forgiveness will change their lives enormously.

The event of God coming in Christ was historic. This is a surprise to some; the Christian faith is a historic faith, rather than a 'religion' or a subjective, inward thing only. This historic event was also the purpose or legacy toward which Israel was moving. This was announced to them in the 1st century AD by the apostles right when their country was falling into the worst conditions they had ever had. And Israel was to become messengers of this, but of course we all are to share the same news with all mankind.

This isn't the view of all Christians though, is it? Not all would preach 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 to an unbeliever would they?

Interplanner

This isn't the view of all Christians though, is it? Not all would preach 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 to an unbeliever would they?

they should! Christ died for our sins. Exactly what I'm saying. Historic fact, before you get to inner changes.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The nature of this thread for now seems to be honest inquiry. If it turns into a troll thread or bash Christianity thread, it will get moved. I will also remove posters that present themselves a distraction from honest inquiry.

Eagles Wings

The nature of this thread for now seems to be honest inquiry. If it turns into a troll thread or bash Christianity thread, it will get moved. I will also remove posters that present themselves a distraction from honest inquiry.

Given Sonnet's past postings, it is my conclusion that he is a troll.

He is well read in Scripture, yet is not a believer by his own admission.

Danoh

Regarding said scope...

I was just now thinking on this issue, while responding to a pm someone sent me.

How that there is oh so much more in the Cross then merely "Christ died for our sins..."

There is...all that victory...now possible, and unto His glory.

All because of...Romans 5:8.

How that the gospel of the grace of God, is two-fold.

It is what God's focus was, while we were yet sinners, even while calling that sin out.

His grace towards us in His Son's Cross....

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

That is the gospel of the grace of God.

But that is only the beginning of it's resulting new life...in His Son.

For it is also what each our own focus can now be, both towards ourselves during and after our own failures, but also - towards others, during and after their own failures, even while calling our own and or their own failures, out.

All this Grace of His towards us in His Son is intended to result in the Glory of The Father in His Son, by His Spirit, in His New Creature: The Body of Christ.

When the following is ours...

When ours is that focus that can be "I screwed up, and I am called to hold myself accountable, and Christ died to pay for this failure of mine - thank God for the Truth of Romans 5:8 - clearly; I needed, and need...His grace towards us in His Son!

A focus that can also be "my neighbor screwed up, and we are called to hold one another accountable, and Christ also died to pay for this failure of theirs - thank God for the Truth of Romans 5:8 on all our behalf - clearly; my neighbor also needed, and needs...His grace towards us in His Son, and through us, to one another!

Both sides of this grace made possible by the truth of Romans 5:8, are evident in the following...

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? 5:8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

In other words, the victory of the Cross does not end, but is rather, just the beginning of it all, at salvation.

There is what it's focus can be from salvation forward - towards oneself, and towards one another in His Son.

During the good, during the bad, whether when in hand in hand, or when calling out oneself, or one another.

This is the victory of the Cross.

Thus, the Apostle Paul's...

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

2 Corinthians 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. 4:8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. 4:11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. 4:12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you. 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. 4:15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

All because of...Romans 5:8.

Amazing Grace...indeed!

DAN P

Hi and the Greek word EUANGELION / GOSPEL does mean something in all AGES !

The gospel in Adam through Moses is found in Gen 4:4

The Gospel of the Kingdom that Jesus preached is for Israel !!

Then when Paul was saved another gospel was given , called the Gospel of the Grace of God in Acts 20:24 !!

Jesus birth is called a gospel !!

Then in Rev 14:6-7 is called a Gospel of Judgment !!~

EUANGELION / GOSPEL just means GOOD NEWS or can mean BAD NEWS !!

It seems to me that there are many glad tiding , good news and bad news through out the bible !!

dan p

Last edited:

Sonnet

Given Sonnet's past postings, it is my conclusion that he is a troll.

He is well read in Scripture, yet is not a believer by his own admission.

You are right Eagles Wings, I have posted on this subject before, but I am not aware of any resolution.

Interplanner

That's rather advanced thinking for someone who is not a believer. Most of them them would say 'what the hell' and not even be concerned...

Status
Not open for further replies.