ECT Get On the Road To Emmaus With Cleopas And His Friend Again

SaulToPaul 2

Here are some of the problems with what Steko is saying.

1, The 'only (the cross)' problem is not solved as he thinks. It really is the only thing that matters, however, the resurrection was God's proof that his sacrifice was sufficient, and then that message about his suffering was to be preached to all nations. So all were to be preached, however, they are far short of a restoration of the land of Israel expected.

Once again, you must realize that we can do nothing to remove this from the 1st century. Revolts were started during the Tiberius census, and they had been prophesied to sweep the land like a flood in Dan 8-9. The answer of the Christian message to such revolts was brilliant: the message of the Christians did not need such a restoration. It could function under Roman admin just fine. The Israel that believed that Gospel could do just fine, and not fight Rome.

Luke is really by Paul and transcribed from Paul and about whether Paul was a threat to Rome. The 'redeeming of Israel' is in the text specifically to show Rome that the Christian movement was NOT a threat. Luke, in ch 22 has an extensive description of the kingdom that shows it is not anything that would pose a threat. The 'entry' to the city did not trigger the Antonia Tower guard that was charged with temple security. Nor did the cleansing of the temple. And Jesus even blasted the terrorists while doing that cleansing. So Rome knew exactly where he was, where he stood.

There is nothing about the land restoration in this short list of what Christ's purpose was and what was to be preached.

D'ists can always pull out their Bibles with the green lights that say 'X000 years in the future' but those are not in the text.

To get safety from enemies IN THIS SETTING meant to be able to get away from the zealots. The believers were told to leave when the leader of the rebellion was seen using the temple. But between Mark 13 and Lk 21, it was moved up to: when you see the city surrounded (by Rome). At least I used to think it was Rome in 68 until I learned that about 5 years earlier Festus tried to protect the city with an additional set of walls, but died during the project and it was dropped.

2, The point.
They did know he was raised. They did not know what the resurrection meant. That is more to the point about being dismayed that he did not redeem Israel. They couldn't connect the two. They knew angels had said he was alive. But understanding that the resurrection was his enthronement? Void. They didn't get it. After the Spirit comes and works, we see that they are preaching:
Christ's enthronement in the resurrection, Acts 2
the completion of promises to the fathers in it, Acts 13,
the declaration of Christ as Son of God with power in Rom 1.

3, Disappointment that he was another dead zealot.
2000 were crucified the same year as Christ. For rebellion. but the disappointment would be IF that is what he was supposed to do. Are you getting closer? He wasn't going to do that . "Redemption" didn't mean what they thought. Nor kingdom. Nor power. Nor thrones. It never would. But they sure kept asking! Even in Acts 1, they asked again.

The description of the kingdom in the Lk passages of 17:20, 18:29, 22:16, 26, 27, 29, 37, are not a problem to Rome. They are spiritual maturity. "You are not to be like" the kingdoms of earth, is not much encouragement to operate like the zealots and Judaizers.

their mistake, ALL THROUGH THE GOSPELS, is to think the kingdom was the same old same old. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord." Actually, power is OK if it is the power of the Spirit, Acts 1, 2.

4, the content of the OT
Here, Steko, you are at your worst. Look closely at what it says, in Lk 24, in the places where the apostles summarize what was expressed, in Acts 26, where Paul says he would not speak beyond that same list (suffering, resurrection, proclamation to the nations), when preaching from the prophets. V23 is remarkable on this, because he says there is NOTHING else there. You think there is. D'ism thinks there is. The club thinks there is. Ryrie does. Chafer does. But Paul says there is nothing else but those things.

I believe this is why there is no clear reference to the land of Israel's restoration in X000 in the NT. I have listed the passages 1000x about the 2nd coming, in their plain language (no symbols) and there is nothing. The longest and most detailed treatment would be 2 Peter 3. There are about 8 others.

Fantasy island post.

Interplanner

As North has said, most D'ists have the modern tranformational Marxist categories of thought: race-warfare (all issues come down to race, the race of Israel) or gender-warfare (never mind the discussion, its the genders that are speaking that determine truth).

Interplanner

:doh: Good grief!

The "layer" of Luke-Acts that is about protecting Paul from accusations of being a zealot, an insurrectionist, are extremely important to understanding Luke-Acts. Those believers in Luke 1-2 did NOT mean Messiah would break Roman rule as they knew it. There were 2000 crucifixions in 33 AD of people like that. It did mean that the NHNE would come one day, and they thought that would be right after Israel self-destructed.

Interplanner

"The scriptures which He opened their understanding to were Moses and the prophets of Israel which clearly state that Messiah would redeem Israel.
Zacharias, father of John the Baptist, spoke by the Holy Spirit that Jesus the Messiah would deliver Israel from her enemies and fulfill the prophets.
One has no justification to take the future revelations given to Paul by the ascended Christ and force them back into the immediate post-resurrection events."

What did redeeming Israel mean to the Jews and also to the Jewish followers of Jesus at this time?

In acts 1: 6 the followers of Jesus asked this of Christ; "When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?"

The Jews were expecting Christ to create a physical kingdom. But - "And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:" Luke 17: 20

"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17: 21

The kingdom of God which Christ came to create was a spiritual one.

The Jews at that time already thought that Christ would restore the physical kingdom to Israel. So in Acts 24 27 when Christ expounded to the two on the Road to Emmaus all the scriptures concerning himself, then the two had their eyes opened and they knew him as Christ and their hearts burned within them because of that experience - Luke 24: 31-32. Christ opened their eyes to something bigger than the restoration of the physical kingdom to Israel. He opened their eyes to see the kingdom as he described it in Luke 17: 20-21, a spiritual kingdom.

The kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost” Romans 14:17.

When Christ was before Pilate. Christ said to him: “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight.” John 18: 36

By echoing the First Century Jewish expectation that Christ was to restore the physical kingdom to Israel, the dispensationalist theology diminishes the spirituality of the kingdom Christ did create and of his rule over that kingdom now.

Dispensationalism implies that Christ must be on earth in order to rule over his kingdom, which dispensationalists do not understand to be a spiritual kingdom.

Those with Christ in them are now spiritually ruling with him. Paul says in Ephesians 2:6: He “hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus” See: Romans. 6:5, 8:17; Colossians. 2:13, 3:1–3; Revelation. 20:4.

Dispensationalism diminishes that which is spiritual and endorses that which is physical. Dispensationalists seem to believe that they can be saved while remaining in the spiritual condition of the natural man, who does not receive the things of the Spirit of God.

I don't think they do spirituality.

northwye

I have always liked the Road to Emmaus story and it is a good way to get into the fixation on the physical by the dispensationalists. I wonder if dispensationalist preachers ever talk about this story? If so, they likely would not see the opening of the eyes and the burning of the hearts of the two on the road to Emmaus as being a translation into the spiritual kingdom of Christ, which is what the Gospel is all about.

Right Divider

Body part
The "layer" of Luke-Acts that is about protecting Paul from accusations of being a zealot, an insurrectionist, are extremely important to understanding Luke-Acts. Those believers in Luke 1-2 did NOT mean Messiah would break Roman rule as they knew it. There were 2000 crucifixions in 33 AD of people like that. It did mean that the NHNE would come one day, and they thought that would be right after Israel self-destructed.
Please let us know from which commentary you got this.

Danoh

If you're being a creep, it shouldn't come as any surprise to you that someone neg reps you, "creep".

Lol - thanks for proving you have been doing just that.

And no thanks, I think I will rest in the fact of Romans 5:8 towards you.

Try that sometime - the grace of the Cross is neither about you and your kind alone, nor for you and your kind alone.

That is just your double-standard.

The cure for that of which is Romans 5:8.

:think:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Lol - thanks for proving you have been doing just that.
Your mistreatment warranted a response of some kind. To save you the embarrassment of a call out, I did so and will continue to do so in the form of a neg rep.
And no thanks, I think I will rest in the fact of Romans 5:8 towards you.
If that's what you are doing, you wouldn't have brought my name up in the first place in yet another thread that has nothing to do with me.

Get a life.

Danoh

Just so it isn't a "fool woman". :shocked:

Were it a guy, he'd be turning it into a "guy thing". ;)

Geez are you in poor shape perpetually :chuckle:

You're being a man or a woman has nothing to do with this.

As usual, you read your skewed perception into whatever is said to you, no matter how it is worded.

Get yourself some help with the standard through which you look at things - it is obviously severely skewed.

Try the standard that is Romans 5:8.

Then again, obviously, as with most of your pals - you haven't a clue why I have so often been ending many of my posts to one and all on TOL in general, and regardless of subject, with words along the line of "Nevertheless, Romans 5:8."

Skew away...

Romans 5:8 remains why Paul actually brought it up when and where he did.

:chuckle:

Danoh

Your mistreatment warranted a response of some kind. To save you the embarrassment of a call out, I did so and will continue to do so in the form of a neg rep.
If that's what you are doing, you wouldn't have brought my name up in the first place in yet another thread that has nothing to do with me.

Get a life.

Twist my chuckle how you always have, Romans 5:8 is the victory behind it.

That mention to STP was a momentary thing, and you know it.

You have inadvertently admitted repeatedly doing what I merely chuckled about this one time.

Yours is a double-standard - a gospel of grace absent of any grace but toward yourself and your own.

And you are each far too entrenched in said double-standard for anyone to hope reaching you about it.

All that has ever remained with your kind from day one, is the chuckle that Romans 5:8 allows towards both oneself, and such as you and yours, during such moments :chuckle:

Danoh

Danoh is overflowing with fleshly minded pettiness.

You're a Trump supporter. You supported his kind of duplicity way before he was an issue.

I had to explain that because GD will come along and mis-conclude I brought up "politics" :chuckle:

As I've noted before - your kind were exactly the kind the Lord said had persecuted the prophets, all the while asserting they'd've been nothing like that, in their day.

Your kind can not tolerate having your hypocrisy exposed.

Thus, to attempt to expect you to actually reflect on any of this honestly, would be insanity.

Leaving the only measure of any hope for succeeding with your kind on this - a chuckle.

You're hypocrites - somehow STP's chuckle in this same sence (in his use of it - of knowing he will not be getting through to various enemies of Dispensationalism) is valid in your hypocrites eyes.

You're fools if you and yours actually think I am the one you are actually siding against for calling you out on your double-standard.

This is not pettiness on my part.

Rather on yours.

So much so that you not only have to be reminded of a good deed done towards you, is all the proof you need that mine is not pettiness, but when reminded of it, you twist said having to remind you, into one more result of your petty perception.

But you don't even realize how hilarious that is...you're that hopeless..you don't have to be...but you are.

Interplanner

Please let us know from which commentary you got this.

General history, and the 2 intros. Do you know even the basic facts of background of the NT? Do you know that there was widespread rebellion in Israel since the census in 6 AD by Augustus (Acts 5:33)? Why the Galileans are suspicious characters? Hopefully your flimsy tinfoil knowledge of what was going on will give way to an understanding why no NT passage has any interest in the future of the land of Israel. The mission yes; lots of Israel in the mission, yes; but not the land or a restoration as such.

SaulToPaul 2

General history, and the 2 intros. Do you know even the basic facts of background of the NT? Do you know that there was widespread rebellion in Israel since the census in 6 AD by Augustus (Acts 5:33)? Why the Galileans are suspicious characters? Hopefully your flimsy tinfoil knowledge of what was going on will give way to an understanding why no NT passage has any interest in the future of the land of Israel. The mission yes; lots of Israel in the mission, yes; but not the land or a restoration as such.

Made up

Right Divider

Body part
I enjoy your silly writing.

glorydaz

Geez are you in poor shape perpetually :chuckle:

You're being a man or a woman has nothing to do with this.

As usual, you read your skewed perception into whatever is said to you, no matter how it is worded.

Get yourself some help with the standard through which you look at things - it is obviously severely skewed.

Try the standard that is Romans 5:8.

Then again, obviously, as with most of your pals - you haven't a clue why I have so often been ending many of my posts to one and all on TOL in general, and regardless of subject, with words along the line of "Nevertheless, Romans 5:8."

Skew away...

Romans 5:8 remains why Paul actually brought it up when and where he did.

Yes, once again you attempt to explain it away and blame it on others. This has been you MO for so long that I'm surprised you haven't seen it for yourself. :think: